Ye Temporarie Ranger Guildtent: General Chat

6 hours ago, tishnicden said:

Anyone have advice for eating a certain way (paleo, keto, etc) when you're the ONLY one in the family doing it? I'm seeing all these new challenges with Whole 30 and Paleo and Keto and I'm over here like...

Last year I went vegetarian. It would certainly be unfair to try and force Hubs to change with me. So I would cook in a way where he got at least close to what he was used to and I got to avoid eating meat. Like chicken curry got a lot more veggies in it and the chicken was cooked on the side. I've found a few new recipes that we both like and tweaked some old ones to work for both of us. I'm lucky in that Hubs is not very picky and doesn't mind some of the meat substitutions (I don't use a lot, mostly in chili). And a few times I've been tired/grouchy/not feeling well and didn't make the meat on the side and he said he didn't mind at all (so now on those recipes I don't make it anymore and he hasn't complained yet :P )

• Like 2

A taco cleanse?! If I can un-vegan it, I'd be all over that. All the tacos.

tumblr_n8d8crh12o1rtbl5vo1_400.gif

The Taco Cleanse was created through many years of research by a group of dedicated Taco Scientists in Austin, Texas... (http://tacocleanse.com)

I bet it was. :) 

• Like 3

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

13 hours ago, tishnicden said:

DH is mostly supportive, but if it impacts him at all, he's like "why are you doing that?" I will be buying these and a bunch of chicken and veggies when I get my next check.

I totally sympathise with you on this. T is the same and calls my food storage "prison trays", which really doesn't help. I love those storage trays though. I have the 3 compartment and the 2 compartment ones. They're great.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

2016 Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4 

Previous challenges:  New Year Challenge , Muir Does Stuff, :apple:    

15 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Something I've done with my family: make the main meat and veggie component Paleo / Whole30 (depending on what you are interested in doing), then make an additional component for the family that maybe isn't. Then, just eat the components that are on the plan for you. 

Your dishes might not be as fancy as other people's, but I've found that it's fairly easy to do small substitutions to keep my meals healthier than the rest of my family. Burgers, sandwiches, and tacos in lettuce wraps, grilled chicken versus chicken patties, salad instead of mac and cheese, etc... We also try to do a new recipe once a week and have incorporated some paleo-ish dishes into our normal rotation based on that. 

I second this. My husband thinks veggies are evil, and eats white bread or rice with everything. If we share the main meat dish, I can pull out some salad or sweet potato to go with mine and throw on some rice or naan bread for him. We are both happy, get to share a meal, and not much extra work.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

10 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Last year I went vegetarian. It would certainly be unfair to try and force Hubs to change with me. So I would cook in a way where he got at least close to what he was used to and I got to avoid eating meat. Like chicken curry got a lot more veggies in it and the chicken was cooked on the side. I've found a few new recipes that we both like and tweaked some old ones to work for both of us. I'm lucky in that Hubs is not very picky and doesn't mind some of the meat substitutions (I don't use a lot, mostly in chili). And a few times I've been tired/grouchy/not feeling well and didn't make the meat on the side and he said he didn't mind at all (so now on those recipes I don't make it anymore and he hasn't complained yet :P )

It's pretty much the same story here. Except I refuse to cook raw meat (which had always been a thing even before I became vegetarian, it just makes me squeamish). And most of the time we just make our own separate meals and don't really eat together (half the time I get home from work after dinner). But when I do cook for us, my wife doesn't mind the lack of meat at all. Plus, she likes tofu, and beans, and the fake meat stuff I get. It was just a matter of getting her to try it first. And I know what veggies she likes, and doesn't like. It think it's a bit easier to introduce a new way of eating by adapting your current favorite dishes. And then branching out to new dishes.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Ok, here's my desperately burning Ranger question. We're kind of, by nature, fitness dilettantes, learning enough of everything to gather basic proficiency, right?

Anyway, how do you all approach that? I want to do everything: weightlifting, running, gymnastics, parkour, martial arts, etc. But there are only so many hours in the day and so much money in my pocket. How do you do it? Do you throw yourself at a specific thing until you know enough not to get hurt? Do you take four classes a week for four different things? Do you have one huge workout every day that touches on a bunch of different things? Fill me up with Ranger wisdom!

• Like 7

Rangers, ho!

My Character and Epic Quest

My current Challenge

Previous Challenges: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

4 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

Ok, here's my desperately burning Ranger question. We're kind of, by nature, fitness dilettantes, learning enough of everything to gather basic proficiency, right?

Anyway, how do you all approach that? I want to do everything: weightlifting, running, gymnastics, parkour, martial arts, etc. But there are only so many hours in the day and so much money in my pocket. How do you do it? Do you throw yourself at a specific thing until you know enough not to get hurt? Do you take four classes a week for four different things? Do you have one huge workout every day that touches on a bunch of different things? Fill me up with Ranger wisdom!

We do ALL THE THINGS! but what we don't tell the others is we don't do them all at once. See what you can focus on in one challenge, do them tell you get bored, then find something new.

• Like 11

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We do ALL THE THINGS! but what we don't tell the others is we don't do them all at once. See what you can focus on in one challenge, do them tell you get bored, then find something new.

Perfect. So the first thing: "throw yourself at a specific thing until you know enough not to get hurt." Whew, that's a relief, since that's had to be my approach so far. :-)

• Like 3

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

3 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The only problem occurs when you don't get bored of what your doing, but you still want to try new things!

• Like 7

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

18 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

Perfect. So the first thing: "throw yourself at a specific thing until you know enough not to get hurt." Whew, that's a relief, since that's had to be my approach so far. :-)

Pretty much this has worked for me.  One thing at a time, until you're like, ok, I can do This Thing fairly routinely, time to add a NEW THING, etc.

Rangerbrain is real!!!

• Like 3

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

1 minute ago, shaar said:

Pretty much this has worked for me.  One thing at a time, until you're like, ok, I can do This Thing fairly routinely, time to add a NEW THING, etc.

Rangerbrain is real!!!

It's just so slow! :-P Instant gratification and I have a very antagonistic relationship.

• Like 2

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

31 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

I pick something I'm interested in, and if I have enough money for it, I give it a go. If I like it, I keep doing it. If I can't afford it, I look up how to do it on Youtube. :P 

• Like 3

Forgive me for this, but I'm lost.  How or where at the parameters of the challenge?  I'd like this to be my first one, so it doesn't need to be, or really should be, anything crazy.  But I'd like to start developing some new habits.  I'm so confused...

• Like 1

Holtzmann is my copilot.

"have you ever thought 'i am not good enough to do this?' THATS THE SOUND OF YOUR REVERSE TWIN. do not listen. you are good enough to do this" - Chuck Tingle

3 minutes ago, A Grue said:

Forgive me for this, but I'm lost.  How or where at the parameters of the challenge?  I'd like this to be my first one, so it doesn't need to be, or really should be, anything crazy.  But I'd like to start developing some new habits.  I'm so confused...

Welcome!! ^^

Spezzy just made an awesome video on how to do just this~

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/90585-video-walkthrough-of-doing-your-first-challenge/

• Like 4

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

These should help you out a lot by explaining things better than I can LOL

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/90585-video-walkthrough-of-doing-your-first-challenge/

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/76047-level-1-suggested-challenge-quests/

If you still have questions after checking those out just give another shout.

• Like 3

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

15 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Same! I need to look up this book

14 hours ago, Sea Level said:

A taco cleanse?! If I can un-vegan it, I'd be all over that. All the tacos.

4 hours ago, doctorake said:

Taco cleanse you say?

I would love to read that book mostly because I think I would find it highly amusing. And thus destroy the taco cleanse.

The recipes are super easy to mess with if you aren't interested in vegan. They all look delicious, as well. I mean to take some pictures of the intro because it's absolutely hilarious. I also bought "Thug Kitchen" the same time as this, just for the laughs. 

7 hours ago, Muir said:

I totally sympathise with you on this. T is the same and calls my food storage "prison trays", which really doesn't help. I love those storage trays though. I have the 3 compartment and the 2 compartment ones. They're great.

Yeah, I'm sure he will give me hell when I get that package of trays from Amazon. And when we're shopping. "Why so much chicken? Oh, you know what i can make with it!?" lol. Bless his heart. I just love him, but sometimes he does an amazing job of derailing me.

14 hours ago, Maigahane said:

4 hours ago, Cascade said:

I second this. My husband thinks veggies are evil, and eats white bread or rice with everything. If we share the main meat dish, I can pull out some salad or sweet potato to go with mine and throw on some rice or naan bread for him. We are both happy, get to share a meal, and not much extra work.

4 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

It's pretty much the same story here. Except I refuse to cook raw meat (which had always been a thing even before I became vegetarian, it just makes me squeamish). And most of the time we just make our own separate meals and don't really eat together (half the time I get home from work after dinner). But when I do cook for us, my wife doesn't mind the lack of meat at all. Plus, she likes tofu, and beans, and the fake meat stuff I get. It was just a matter of getting her to try it first. And I know what veggies she likes, and doesn't like. It think it's a bit easier to introduce a new way of eating by adapting your current favorite dishes. And then branching out to new dishes.

DH is reeeeeaaallllyyyy picky and most meals are extremely carb heavy with a side of fried protein. Luckily, he doesn't mind meat (or other) subs as long as he doesn't know about them. I've been looking into recipes and I think I am going to start utilizing my crockpot a lot more. Make my healthy yummy stuff there and then when I get home i can cook him dinner. Hopefully, he'll try a couple things and he'll catch on.

• Like 2

WEEK 1 - H2O X X X | FOOD X X X X | ZUMBA X | 
WEEK 2 - H2O
X ✓ ✓ XX️ X️  | FOOD ✓ ✓ ✓ ️ ️   | ZUMBA  | 
WEEK 3 - H2O 
X️ X️ ✓ ✓ ✓ ️ ️X️️| FOOD ✓ ✓ ✓ X️️  X️ ️️| ZUMBA ️️ | 
WEEK 4 - H2O 
◽◽◽◽◽ | FOOD ◽◽◽◽◽️| ZUMBA ️️ | 

Challenges: 1 | 23 | 45 | 6 | 7 | 8Current
Find me on: MyFitnessPal & Fitbit  [[My Character]]   

There is a beast in every woman, and it stirs when you put a barbell in her hands.

❚█═══════█❚

4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

The only problem occurs when you don't get bored of what your doing, but you still want to try new things!

It is my firm belief that humans were not designed for a 24 hour day.  There are far too many awesome things to do.  

• Like 4

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

2 hours ago, ladylydia said:

It is my firm belief that humans were not designed for a 24 hour day.  There are far too many awesome things to do.  

If I could just get rid of sleep I might have enough time to do all the things I want to do. 

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

30 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

If I could just get rid of sleep I might have enough time to do all the things I want to do. 

Not a chance. The more things you do, the more other things you become aware of wanting to try too. My quest list keeps on getting longer instead of shorter every year.

• Like 5

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman