Maigahane Picks Herself Back Up

Maigs

Last challenge I had minor surgery. It took me out a bit more than I expected though overall I held in fairly well. I'm still recovering, I have partial facial paralysis that will go away but can take a few months. The main way this affects me is that my eye doesn't fully shut which makes it fatigued and then I get whiny and don't want to do things.

Around the end of last challenge I had a heart to heart with myself on what my real goals are and what I actually need to do to accomplish them. It came down to I want to be thinner and I want to competently (not competitively) run OCR's. To do this I need to eat reasonably, I need to be able to jog a 5k, and I need to be able to move around my own body weight.

So at the end of last challenge I re-booted C25k and did it *gasp* outside! Holy crap that makes a difference. For one thing I've been surprised when the run portions are done instead of trying to will the timer on the dreadmill (I really like this term) to tick faster. For another thing since I can do it from my front door instead of driving to the gym it's easier to talk myself into starting. I'm also starting to incorporate bodyweight work into my routine.

I don't need or even want to be perfect. I just want these things to become habit.

Food - Eat between 1500-2000cals every day. Get back to weekend food prepping so I have easy cooking to fall back on when I don't want to cook

Workout - Alternate C25k and bodyweight work 6 times a week. 30 minutes is only 2% of the day, I should be able to manage that

Stretch - Stretch daily. I suppose this isn't technically on the "need to do" list but this really should be a habit to maintain health like brushing your teeth is. Especially with my PF issues.

I might try a reward system based on percent compliance but so far that hasn't really worked for me so I might not

Things happening during this challenge:

My sister is getting married on the first official day of the challenge. I just need to try and eat reasonably on the trip there (10 hours away)

4ish mile trail run November 13th. I should have just finished week 4 of C25k by then so I would love to jog most of it even if it's as slow as a turtle through peanut butter
Thanksgiving at the very end. My only goal is to not eat so much that I'm physically uncomfortable.

• Like 12

Current Challenge:  Maigs Starts Over

Running outside is soooooo much better than on a dreadmill.  Another benefit is once you start, you can't stop until you get home again.  On a dreadmill I have to constantly decide to stay on it; one false move and its over.  

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

2 hours ago, Muir said:

Sounds like you've got some solid goals for this challenge. Following to add encouragement where needed. :)

Good to have you. Encouragement is always appreciated :)

16 minutes ago, LadyShello said:

Running outside is soooooo much better than on a dreadmill.  Another benefit is once you start, you can't stop until you get home again.  On a dreadmill I have to constantly decide to stay on it; one false move and its over.  

I don't know why I avoided it so long. Though I had the opposite thought, if I got on the dreadmill it meant I got in my car and drove all the way to the gym (all 6 miles) so if I don't spend an appropriate amount of time on it I was being dumb, so I usually just wouldn't drive to the gym to avoid being dumb :P But with running outside I have permission to stop early if I feel I need to. Especially necessary with surgery recovery, I had no idea if I'd be able to go very long the first day and needed to know it would be okay to stop early if it started hurting. 

• Like 1

Week -1 - Friday

Food - Rangered. 1700cals. I opened the peanut M&Ms, pulled out 5, then told Hubs to hide the bag. That counts as willpower right? I haven't even tried looking for it yet :P

Exercise - Rangered. I did two sets of 10 each squats, knee pushups, and situps. Not much but the goal is to make this a habit, not to be a badass (yet)

Stretching - Rangered

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Thanksgiving at the very end. My only goal is to not eat so much that I'm physically uncomfortable.

I love this Thanksgiving goal.  It's always one of mine, too!!  SO HARD, so much good food......!  (Is it sad I'm planning my heavy lifting days around Thanksgiving so I can allot more food to myself?!?)

• Like 4

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

5 minutes ago, shaar said:

(Is it sad I'm planning my heavy lifting days around Thanksgiving so I can allot more food to myself?!?)

Sounds like a very good plan to me, might have to do something similar myself LOL

• Like 2

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

2 minutes ago, bker1370 said:
8 minutes ago, shaar said:

(Is it sad I'm planning my heavy lifting days around Thanksgiving so I can allot more food to myself?!?)

Sounds like a very good plan to me, might have to do something similar myself LOL

I would be planning this too but we're driving 10 hours back home which means I'm not going to get much of a chance to workout the entire long weekend. I could say I will but we all know that's not actually going to happen. Too many people to hang out with and a possible new niece by then (she's due at the end of November)

• Like 1

Following.  Heading out to read your last challenge and see what's what.  

ETA:  I see that you had some sort of surgery.  I'm glad it sounds like you are recovering nicely.  Those things are never fun and nerves are fickle little buggers.  Hugs.

• Like 1

Rangering since Sept 2015

On 10/22/2016 at 8:52 AM, Maigahane said:

Food - Rangered. 1700cals. I opened the peanut M&Ms, pulled out 5, then told Hubs to hide the bag. That counts as willpower right? I haven't even tried looking for it yet :P

I just had to leave a partially eaten pie in my car so it wouldn't call out to me during the night.

The trail race is a PERFECT sort of bookmark/minigoal/checkpoint to have in the middle of your challenge. And it will be fun.

Following.

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Following! Running outside is so much better than the dreadmill and will help you prepare for OCR's better, especially if you can do a bit of trail running. 

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Following! You lose a lot of everything using the treadmill. Like learning how to pace yourself rather than having it do it for you.

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

10 hours ago, Marauder said:

Following.  Heading out to read your last challenge and see what's what.  

ETA:  I see that you had some sort of surgery.  I'm glad it sounds like you are recovering nicely.  Those things are never fun and nerves are fickle little buggers.  Hugs.

Good to have you again! Yeah, I've been vague about it for no real reason but I had a benign mass removed from the parotid gland behind the ear. Unfortunately the facial nerve took a bit of a beating in the process because of location but the doctor said it's not permanently damaged. The end of last week I could twitch the corner of my mouth and this weekend I found I could drink out of my normal water bottle again so it's improving :)

9 hours ago, Xena said:

I just had to leave a partially eaten pie in my car so it wouldn't call out to me during the night.

The trail race is a PERFECT sort of bookmark/minigoal/checkpoint to have in the middle of your challenge. And it will be fun.

Following.

So yeah...those M&M's got destroyed Saturday... I has no willpower :( I'll talk more about this in my next post

I'm excited for the trail run even though I'm not at all prepared for it. It'll be a blast even if I almost die :)

4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Following! Running outside is so much better than the dreadmill and will help you prepare for OCR's better, especially if you can do a bit of trail running. 

I definitely noticed in my first OCR this year that I was doing myself a disfavor by running on the dreadmill. I had problems pacing myself like @jonfirestar mentioned and my ankles hurt a bit from trying to navigate a not-completely-flat surface. I knew then that I needed to start training outside but did little-to-no running outside of the OCRs this summer

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Following! You lose a lot of everything using the treadmill. Like learning how to pace yourself rather than having it do it for you.

Welcome! As I said above, I've definitely noticed the difference. Running outside is harder but much more fun :)

Week (-1) - Saturday

Ummm...nope, nope and nope. Saturday is my rest day. I worked a few hours in the morning and then gamed all afternoon/evening. We brought the bag of peanut M&M's I had Hubs hide for me the other day and I ate almost the entire thing (Hubs had a few). Then after they were gone I ate a few (maybe 5) jolly ranchers because they were there. I don't even particularly like them but they were there.

Which got me thinking:
When I first got on the weight loss/fitness/health kick 4 years ago one of my big problems was Dr. Pepper. I literally got to where I was drinking over 100oz a day (gee, I wonder how I got to be 222lbs....). I knew it was bad but while I was getting through my Masters degree and the CPA exams I let myself eat and drink what I wanted with the plan that I would get on track the moment I was done. I took the last of the CPA exams the week before Labor Day, visited family that weekend, then that Tuesday I gave up soda cold turkey. The idea was that I wouldn't get to where I never drank soda but I didn't want to crave it like I was. It took a lot of willpower and the occasional slip back into drinking more than I wanted to but now I don't even like it. I still think of it as one of my comfort foods so occasionally I'll get one when I'm not feeling well/sad and then regret it. Like after surgery I asked Hubs to buy me a 12 pack, I drank three and told him to take the rest to work because I didn't want them.

So. I'm going to try the same thing with sugar. Starting yesterday I'm cold turkey quitting refined sugar. I don't want this to be a permanent thing but I'm hoping it will break my cravings for it like I did with soda. No candy and no baked sweets. I'm still allowed my <1tbsp of brown sugar in my oatmeal in the morning and I'm not going to worry about my dinner recipes that call for a small amount of sugar (I have a chili recipe that uses brown sugar and is DIVINE). I will probably allow variances when we're back home visiting family but I want to keep it reasonable.

In the end I'd like to be the person who can have candy or cookies at home or at work and it lasts more then a day or two.

• Like 5

Week 0 - Sunday

Food - Rangered. 1560cals. No sugar

Exercise - Rangered. Week  Day 3 of C25k. I pushed myself a little harder and made it 2.2 miles (did 2.0 miles last time). We also worked on the flooring so that counts as exercise too right? :P 11,400 steps though some of those "steps" are probably hitting flooring with a mallet and tricking my fitbit

Stretching - Oops! I forgot

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

11,400 steps though some of those "steps" are probably hitting flooring with a mallet and tricking my fitbit

I'd argue that that totally counts!

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

1 minute ago, jonfirestar said:

I'd argue that that totally counts!

Oh I agree! Otherwise I would have taken the fitbit off before doing it (we've been working on the floors on and off for about a year now I know it tricks the fitbit). Just wanted full disclosure that some of those "steps" actually happened while I was sitting :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

Good to have you again! Yeah, I've been vague about it for no real reason but I had a benign mass removed from the parotid gland behind the ear. Unfortunately the facial nerve took a bit of a beating in the process because of location but the doctor said it's not permanently damaged. The end of last week I could twitch the corner of my mouth and this weekend I found I could drink out of my normal water bottle again so it's improving :)

I was trying not to bee too nosey, but I was curious because I had a benign mass removed from my neck and quite a bit of nerve damage from that. Mine was vagal.  I have loss of one of my vocal cords, although an experimental surgery has given me back a bit of tension and improved my voice.  Everything else resolved.  I'm so glad to hear you are seeing results already!  That's awesome!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I was trying not to bee too nosey, but I was curious because I had a benign mass removed from my neck and quite a bit of nerve damage from that. Mine was vagal.  I have loss of one of my vocal cords, although an experimental surgery has given me back a bit of tension and improved my voice.  Everything else resolved.  I'm so glad to hear you are seeing results already!  That's awesome!!

I'm such a nosey person, I struggle when others are being vague like I was :P I'm not quite sure why I was being so vague. I'm an introvert but I don't have problems sharing information, even online. Some of it was I wasn't telling anyone before hand (seriously, I told my mom after the fact) since it sounds scary but isn't (mass, glands, surgery, face...) and some of it is that while I will share anything I tend to stay within social norms (don't talk about religion, politics, finances, etc).
I have a bit of a lisp since my bottom lip doesn't move on the right side yet but either it's already getting better or I'm getting used to it. Sorry to hear about your vocal cords, that sounds rough, though luckily you were able to get some back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maigahane said:

I'm such a nosey person, I struggle when others are being vague like I was :P I'm not quite sure why I was being so vague. I'm an introvert but I don't have problems sharing information, even online. Some of it was I wasn't telling anyone before hand (seriously, I told my mom after the fact) since it sounds scary but isn't (mass, glands, surgery, face...) and some of it is that while I will share anything I tend to stay within social norms (don't talk about religion, politics, finances, etc).
I have a bit of a lisp since my bottom lip doesn't move on the right side yet but either it's already getting better or I'm getting used to it. Sorry to hear about your vocal cords, that sounds rough, though luckily you were able to get some back.

Sometimes vague is necessary. :D I was vague about my recent disappearance, but that's mostly because I sometimes feel like all I do is whine on here.  I'm the same about the social norms, although here in Utah, I'm a bit of unicorn in most of those categories.  LOL. The vocal cord thing was rough at first with little kids (at the time), but it's amazing how your body learns to compensate.  Most folks can't tell I have a deficit and the lingering problems are smallish.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Sometimes vague is necessary. :D I was vague about my recent disappearance, but that's mostly because I sometimes feel like all I do is whine on here.  I'm the same about the social norms, although here in Utah, I'm a bit of unicorn in most of those categories.  LOL. The vocal cord thing was rough at first with little kids (at the time), but it's amazing how your body learns to compensate.  Most folks can't tell I have a deficit and the lingering problems are smallish.

Yeah, being a unicorn is another reason I'm vague about social norm things. You're a mustachian too right? I hit a milestone recently that I CAN'T TELL ANYONE and it's frustrating. Heck, even with weight loss I keep it off FB because it feels like bragging. If you really want to be nosey though you can send me a PM and I'll send you link to my MMM journal

I'm glad your lingering problems are smallish.

Following along again. :)

WEEK 1 - H2O X X X | FOOD X X X X | ZUMBA X | 
WEEK 2 - H2O
X ✓ ✓ XX️ X️  | FOOD ✓ ✓ ✓ ️ ️   | ZUMBA  | 
WEEK 3 - H2O 
X️ X️ ✓ ✓ ✓ ️ ️X️️| FOOD ✓ ✓ ✓ X️️  X️ ️️| ZUMBA ️️ | 
WEEK 4 - H2O 
| FOOD ️| ZUMBA ️️ | 

Challenges: 1 | 23 | 45 | 6 | 7 | 8Current
Find me on: MyFitnessPal & Fitbit  [[My Character]]   

There is a beast in every woman, and it stirs when you put a barbell in her hands.

❚█═══════█❚

Cutting out sugar makes sense, and the allowances you've set totally make sense too.

It takes me a while to not crave it, and honestly even then, I can't really let the stuff sit around my house.

On another topic...you absolutely won't die in your trail race. You can always walk if you have to. No biggie, just have fun.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Cutting out sugar makes sense, and the allowances you've set totally make sense too.

It takes me a while to not crave it, and honestly even then, I can't really let the stuff sit around my house.

On another topic...you absolutely won't die in your trail race. You can always walk if you have to. No biggie, just have fun.

It's taken me 4 years for me to not crave soda so I don't expect sugar cravings to go away quickly

I'm sure I won't die...I just might feel like I'm going to :)

• Like 1

Week 0 - Monday

Food - Rangered. 1400cals

Exercise - Rangered. 3 sets of 10 knee pushups, 10 lunges (each leg), and 15 reverse crunches. 9,200 steps

Stretching - Rangered

Bonus Sweets - None

Why is it so hard to get myself to workout? It took me 45 minutes to do my workout last night because I'd take a break between each freaking exercise and have to talk myself back into starting each time. It's ridiculous. Argh

On a good note, the no sugar thing is going great so far. I'm not really craving it, I just have to fight the habit of going and getting some

• Like 1