Challenge 2: Sustaining Momentum

Socksy

All right, so my first challenge went well with the beginner goals and the like - although I couldn't really go to sleep ten minutes earlier like I wanted. I'm going to come in for the whole four weeks this time around, since I only got a week and a half of the last one - and with my own goals this time, too!

Diet Goals

• Lose 2 lbs/week. 7000 calories.

Fitness Goals

• Practice Handstands on my rest days: Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun.
  • Do Nerd Fitness Bodyweight Routine 3x/week: Mon, Wed, Fri.

Level Up Your Life Goals

• Put $100 in to Savings every Friday.

These goals are a mixture of what I've broken down my Feb. 4th goal of visiting my parents for the first time in five years, and my goal of being more physically fit so that I can look damned good when I do visit. Plus, I want to get in to parkour and martial arts, so being better at working with and moving my own body weight is essential.

• Like 1

That's the plan! I kept it at 1200/day in calories all week long. I'll adjust as needed as I go along for sure though, depending on what the loss is looking like with how things are going right now - and I'll see if I can't figure a more reliable way to measure fat loss since measuring weight while I'm also working out is iffy at best.

13 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Following because IRC nerds gotta stick together. 

I knew I knew that name! Present and accounted for.

• Like 2
On 10/21/2016 at 3:13 PM, Socksy said:

Practice Handstands on my rest days: Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun.

I want to get in to parkour and martial arts, so being better at working with and moving my own body weight is essential.

Looks like we have some similar goals too! I'm also doing handstand work, what process are you doing? I've been looking for progressions to follow :D 

On 11/1/2016 at 2:24 PM, IAmInfinite said:

How are you finding the first days of your challenge so far?

Well, I didn't do my handstand workout yesterday like I wanted since my sleeping aids kicked in sooner than expected, but my bodyweight workouts are going according to schedule. The money thing is going well so far, hopefully nothing comes up to derail that. And I lost 5 lbs so far, I'll have to see if I'm still on track this coming Saturday since I weigh in once per week - every Saturday morning before I do anything else.

• Like 2

So handstands aren't working out so well, since I messed up my wrist a couple weeks ago and can't really bend it until the swelling goes away, which might take the rest of the challenge time. Saving money isn't going so well either, but I'm hoping things stop coming up (and my roommates stop being stupid with their money and costing me mine) so that I can drop a few hundred in at once. I also keep spending money on books, which is both a good and bad thing I suppose.

Losing weight is on track-ish. It's tough to really tell since weight can vary drastically due to water, sodium, mood, and muscle gain, but I'm still going down rather than up so I'm ok with that. Keeping up the bodyweight workouts well, but I had to modify my push-ups to push up with my fists due to the wrist thing.

Procrastination and chronic spending are the enemy.

For tracking your weight, hae you tried using weekly tape measurements? Those can also be a bit fickle, but still tend to be slightly more reliable. I know that my scale can ary by three pounds on its own, not including daily weight change for me.

This month seems to have a sucked a lot of money from a lot of people. Grrr. And I know next month isn't going to be much better. Keeping track of what I spend where does help a bit though.

All the best with that wrist though!

• Like 1

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

9 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

For tracking your weight, hae you tried using weekly tape measurements? Those can also be a bit fickle, but still tend to be slightly more reliable. I know that my scale can ary by three pounds on its own, not including daily weight change for me.

This month seems to have a sucked a lot of money from a lot of people. Grrr. And I know next month isn't going to be much better. Keeping track of what I spend where does help a bit though.

All the best with that wrist though!

I've done tape measures of my neck, waist and hips and tracked them on MyFitnessPal but I haven't checked them in a while - can't find my tailor's tape measure. The wrist is slowly getting better, I just have to remember not to try to crack it and get in this situation again since this always seems to happen if I mess with it too much to try to relieve tension after typing for a while. Working out seems to help so I'll keep that up.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Socksy said:

I've done tape measures of my neck, waist and hips and tracked them on MyFitnessPal but I haven't checked them in a while - can't find my tailor's tape measure. The wrist is slowly getting better, I just have to remember not to try to crack it and get in this situation again since this always seems to happen if I mess with it too much to try to relieve tension after typing for a while. Working out seems to help so I'll keep that up.

If you don't have the tape, you can use a piece of string and then compare that to a flat ruler. A bit less precise though.

How are you trying to relieve tension that it causes swelling??

• Like 1

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

On 11/17/2016 at 2:35 PM, IAmInfinite said:

If you don't have the tape, you can use a piece of string and then compare that to a flat ruler. A bit less precise though.

How are you trying to relieve tension that it causes swelling??

I think I can describe it best as rotating my wrist until I can feel it crack, like cracking knuckles. I'm not sure if it's really swelling, actually, that's just the most logical thing I can come up with, but I think the cause is that I occasionally put too much force in and the end result is my wrist getting less mobile until the pain goes away. The pain ends up being around the point where the bone of my index finger and thumb meet down by the wrist.

7 hours ago, Socksy said:

I think I can describe it best as rotating my wrist until I can feel it crack, like cracking knuckles. I'm not sure if it's really swelling, actually, that's just the most logical thing I can come up with, but I think the cause is that I occasionally put too much force in and the end result is my wrist getting less mobile until the pain goes away. The pain ends up being around the point where the bone of my index finger and thumb meet down by the wrist.

Eesh, sounds bad. :( I probably should stop cracking my knuckles so much as well. I wonder if you stop doing it as much you stop needing it as much?