Juice Bar (Guild Hangout)

Infinity.Creates

Welcome new and welcome old! Welcome to the new challenge!

The Juice Bar shall be continuing from the previous challenge, and is a place for fellow rebels to hang out, talk, ask and give advice, talk about your pets or your favourite game or new book you came across. Talk about whether or not you will be moving to other guilds, or why you've come back, or why you've come to NerdFitness for the first time. 

Feel free to make yourselves comfortable in the Juice Bar, show us your best gif, and welcome to the new challenge and this community!

Image result for welcome gif

• Like 2

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

There shall be a mini challenge this time around, and I will post more information here once I come back from my hike (so probably on Tuesday). Feel free to hit me up with ideas or suggestions in the meantime.

• Like 1

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

My thoughts on mini challenges....

A diet challenge, a workout challenge, a level up life challenge - and I'm sure I'm missing something else we can come up with challenge :)

We setup the challenges so each participant can tailor it to something their working on\level.  So diet challenge could be something like try a new veggie each day, add a veggie to each meal, etc - something THEY are working on.  So the Vegan - that eats veggies all the time can make THEIR challenge a daily protein goal while the omnivore's challenge can be eliminating their daily potato chip habit.  We can give some suggestions and help with point values for tracking.

I say this partly because - if we have - for instance - a burpee challenge or pushup challenge - I hate to see people get hung up on what's "legally" a burpee - or if it's ok to do modified pushups.  Because each of us has different fitness level and goals.  And I remember people getting bent out of shape over stuff that we shouldn't :)

Anyway - that's my thoughts while I repeat\tweak last challenges goals to continue leveling up my stuff....

• Like 3

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

I'm going to move back to the monks, but I decided to hang out here sometimes. The Juice Bar is much more lively.

How are you continuing or building on your last goals?

I tried to increase my exercise goal, but I wanted to add some new goals to. But I didn't want to drop meditation and timemanagement entirely. So now I have two additional Sidequests just to continue what I did last challenge. Doesn't seem to be the best way. :/

I've been struggling with this for a while. We try to accomblish healthy habits. But after 4 weeks they are hardly a routine and still have to be kept in mind (at least for me). But you don't want to do the same stuff every challenge because there are just too many shiny goals out there. How are you handling that, when setting up your challenge?

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

2 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

How are you handling that, when setting up your challenge?

#Allthethings xD

IamInfinity told me that the quests purpose is to form habits. Your time managment should not steal you time, it should help you and become something that you don't even notice about. For Meditation ist kinda the same. Don't force yourself to do it. Just do it when you feel like doing it.

• Like 1

Was wäre das Leben, hätten wir nicht den Mut, etwas zu riskieren. Vincent van Goch

On 10/22/2016 at 2:52 AM, Socksy said:

Looking forward to the minichallenges, still not sure how this stat system works though.

There's a bit of a description here, though I think most people have tweaked them to suit themselves more. 

However, I won't be giving stat points for completing the mini challenge as it is no longer supported by NF. However, if enough people ask, I may do it as a side if people want it.

2 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

But you don't want to do the same stuff every challenge because there are just too many shiny goals out there. How are you handling that, when setting up your challenge?

ALL THE SHINY THINGS

It's a massive problem, where I want to try all the new things and get good at everything all at once. But we need to stop, take a step back, and assess. You have time to do this slowly, because if you rush it may actually take longer. I think what you need is to slowly build ontop of quests you already had. If you previous one was to, idk, walk ten minutes everyday, then you might want to build it into, walk ten minutes and stretch once you get home. That way you are building ontop of previous goals, and still maintaining both habits.

But sometimes you need to prioritise. I've got Study everyday for my next challenges until Februrary, because I know that is a massive weak point, and I need to focus on it. That does mean the rest of my goals need to be smaller and take up less time, as I have less to play with, but it is about prioritising. 

The forums used to do 6 week challenges, which meant you could focus on them longer. There's no harm in changing how you look at the forums, and instead do two four week challenges as one, altering slightly after a month to whatever works better for you.

Honestly, your challenge right now looks pretty good, and your previous quests are on the side, on the mind but not the focus. If it seems too much for you, then you might want to lessen some of one quest. So instead of studying for an hour, you will only study for 30 minutes. 

I hope this somehow helped! All the best for your challenge <3

• Like 3

Yeah, that was helpful. I'm just trying to have a closer look on what I'm doing on the long run this time. Last time I lost track after reaching level 10 and got somehow overwhelmed by the challenges. And also I didn't seem to particular things long enough. So I'm trying to come up with a plan this time. :)

I always liked the small mini challenges in the rebels section. They helped you to get used to the challenges and their structure.

• Like 1

STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

9 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

I tried to increase my exercise goal, but I wanted to add some new goals to. But I didn't want to drop meditation and timemanagement entirely. So now I have two additional Sidequests just to continue what I did last challenge. Doesn't seem to be the best way. :/

I've been struggling with this for a while. We try to accomblish healthy habits. But after 4 weeks they are hardly a routine and still have to be kept in mind (at least for me). But you don't want to do the same stuff every challenge because there are just too many shiny goals out there. How are you handling that, when setting up your challenge?

I'm placing less emphasis on those things I seem to have a handle on and focus on the ones where I don't.  Other than that - really much the same.  I'm going for better consistency this challenge (although I'm not doing well so far LOL).  I've been at this 6 solid weeks now - which is supposedly what it takes to build a habit - but at my age I'm now a slow learner LOL.  If I stop trying - that is true failure.  I will keep up the focus until these things STICK - along with the life improvements they will bring with them....

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

1 hour ago, Athaclena said:

I will keep up the focus until these things STICK - along with the life improvements they will bring with them....

Sticking takes a long time and always trying never stops until the day you realize your doing it without thinking. 

Its cool to read your trying.  

• Like 2

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Indeed. I did it, too, although I'm not in the rebels section with my challenge.

Are you doing zero week, too? Or are you enjoying the week off?

I like doing a week zero. It helps me to test my goals and I'm adjusting them afterwards if needed. My week went quite alright, too. ;)

Spoiler

I test things out during Week 0, and how much I actually need to work at habits. So testing out my diet, and what I like, doing some practise page layouts for my bullet journal, or slowly moving my wake up time earlier so Im ready during the challenge to wake early to go do exercise. It's a fun time to try stuff out without too much guilt or pressure.

The new artsy thread is up. Perhaps some rebels want to participate.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Advice needed:

im in a new job, waking up early, getting to bed fairly early, eating ok, stressful levels are a roller coaster, and as I wash my hair, I'm pulling out globs of hair :-/ not too much but enough for me to realize... Somethings up. 

Also my foot just cramps out of no where when I'm in bed. I can't stop it. The other night I had to stand up and walk around for 20 minutes before it stopped. 

i know my stress needs to be controlled but are there any fruits, veggies, oils, supplements I should have more of to help? I eat lots of veggies, I have cut down my protein a little, but I still get some. 

Any advice would help put me in the right direction.

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

5 hours ago, Butternut said:

Advice needed:

im in a new job, waking up early, getting to bed fairly early, eating ok, stressful levels are a roller coaster, and as I wash my hair, I'm pulling out globs of hair :-/ not too much but enough for me to realize... Somethings up. 

Also my foot just cramps out of no where when I'm in bed. I can't stop it. The other night I had to stand up and walk around for 20 minutes before it stopped. 

i know my stress needs to be controlled but are there any fruits, veggies, oils, supplements I should have more of to help? I eat lots of veggies, I have cut down my protein a little, but I still get some. 

Get to a doctor and let them test your blood for iron. I lost hair, too, when I was really stressed, but the other reason was, that I switched to vegetarian the wrong way and didn't get enough iron.

Fish oil seems to be good, too, for the immune system. And I felt better drinking tomato juice because of the Antioxidantien. Good luck. Sounds as if you have a hard time. But don't worry. The hair will grow back. At least mine did after the stress was gone.

• Like 1

Spoiler

On 11/4/2016 at 0:28 AM, Butternut said:

Advice needed:

The advice is above is good ^ but I'd like to add. 

I'm not a doctor, but I heard stress levels can affect hair loss. Maybe try some meditation? Mindfulness is good for that because you can literally do it for a minute while you're stressing out in the moment. It worked for me when I did it in my first challenge, but I got bored after a while. But I wasn't always stressed, so you might be able to stick at it longer than I did. :P 

For your foot cramps, when did this start? Recently? A couple of months? If recent you might just be sleeping in an awkward position. If longer then I'd recommend seeing a physio. Your might have incorrect form in your workouts which is putting stress on your foot, especially if you're running (which you don't seem to feel till later). 

I don't know whether it's wise to cut down on protein. You need a lot of it when strength training. Apparently 1lb (roughly) per pound of bodyweight. Not sure about what type of supplements, but I hear just plain multi-vitamins are good. 

About me

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4#5

Current: #6

Week discussion point (because it's fun and I need a couple of ideas to argue with my friends in school)

What are your views on AI domination, and should they be given rights (once they achieve true AI status)?

12 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Week discussion point (because it's fun and I need a couple of ideas to argue with my friends in school)

What are your views on AI domination, and should they be given rights (once they achieve true AI status)?

We were debating this one in my discussion and debate class. It was about "Are robots going to steal our jobs?"

We agreed, that this could be possible, if moral standards wouldn't prevent people from firing human employees. But there would also be created new jobs, because of the IT sector. People who manufacture robots or are part of the process by supervising it, people who programm AIs, people who repair robots, ... Of course not every body would be able to get a job in this sector. Education would be really important. So the tax system would have to be changed. In Germany you pay taxes with your wages. But robots don't get paid, so the company chef would have to pay taxes for the robots he used, so this money could be used for education, research and to built a net for elder people who got unemployed. We also thought that as long as robots aren't able to show emotions there are still a lot of jobs in the social sector that are preferably done by humans.

• Like 2

Spoiler