Laghail

Although it's the fall season, in terms of phases of my life, I've realized I've been in a season where I've done a shitty job taking care of myself. Not physically, my lifting goals are chugging along, and while diet can always be more consistent (might sneak a goal in on that front actually), apparently there's more to being a whole and healthy person than picking up iron bars and putting them down again (sounds wrong, I know, personal worth and your wilks score are supposed to be interchangeable!). 

This month I'll be channeling my inner hobbit because those guys have life figured out. Apples, good conversations, fried mushrooms and a great pipe tobacco - plus they're so short they should be able to easily squat 2x bodyweight! 

Write like Bilbo - he may have sucked at picking book titles ("there and back again"? Bet he would have named the Hunger games, "shooty girl accidentally starts revolution"), but he sure wrote up a storm. Between journaling and working on creative writing, I'm aiming for 1000 words a week. Best if that can be a daily 100-200 count, but life happens and no sweat if I churn it out in one catch-up day. 

Eat like Fatty Bolger - unlike Mr Fredegar, I don't have the luxury of Saruman taking over my community and forcing me on starvation rations to make my cutting efforts successful. Instead, the part of the fallen Maia will be played by MFP, and my challenge is just to log every day. My diet is fairly monotonous, i still tend to space on logging (user name is laghail on MFP). Maybe once my cut is over, Frodo will show up and scour my local Merry-olde-England-lite pastoral community from the tyranny of mechanized industrial development, in an distended metaphor about how you can never go home. Might be a tall order. 

Meditate better than Frodo - I think Elijah Wood nailed the brooding pensive nature of Frodo. Poor chap was obsessed with his doomed wish to live in the shire and his inevitable exile haunted him throughout the tale. To do one better than Mr Frodo, I'll be using the app Calm and Alan Klima's material to meditate 5 mins in the morning, and 15 mins at night. I'd speculate on how I'll doubtless reach a grey haven-like enlightenment by the end of the challenge, but that seems equal parts certain and gauche. 

Yoga like Sam - remember the disjointed scene in the return of the king, where Sam deals with Shelob, then dons a set of luluemon leggings and goes through a series of yoga poses to deal with his homoerotic angst over poor naked Mr Frodo? Yeah, that was an odd little section, probably for the best when they cut it from the movie. But like Sam, I'll be practicing yoga twice a week at least. 

Smoke like Pippin - not only did Peregrin Took have a dope ass name, he also smoked a mean pipe. Part of self care is recognizing I need to enjoy life instead of just rushing to keep up with my schedule. One leisurely pipe bowl of tobacco a week. If I have a dog leash or a book in hand while i do so, bonus points, but purposeful enjoyment of a relaxing hobby, and it makes me more like Pippin? #WWPD?

Be stuck up like Lobelia Sackville-Bagginses - Bilbao's grasping cousin that was so haughty that Frodo would don the one ring just to escape. But the one thing about arrogant know it alls, they have great back health. The stiff posture, the nose in the air; their spine alignment must be fantastic. I'll be going in for weekly chiropractic adjustments (since they're fully covered) to get a bit more Lobelia in my life. 

Based on past experience, I need to post every day or I'm not going to get much out of the challenge process. I'll be brushing up on my gif game for sure. 

• Like 5

Following cuz I'm going to have very similar goals.

Image result for Gandalf smoking gif

Also, I'm finally reading The LOTR triology. (don't worry about spoilers though, I've seen all the movies, I just need to read the books)

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

10 hours ago, Laghail said:

Yoga like Sam - remember the disjointed scene in the return of the king, where Sam deals with Shelob, then dons a set of luluemon leggings and goes through a series of yoga poses to deal with his homoerotic angst over poor naked Mr Frodo?

Hehehehe. Yeah, this is gonna be good.

Chasing Following!

jvFLZYB.gif

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Dont be afraid to admit any imperfections with the series - it's certainly good and a Rosetta Stone for modern fiction, but it's okay to recognize the dude gets wordy.

Wordiness and going off on tangents doesn't bother me... and often I appreciate wordy tangents when well done. My closest references for comparison is George Martin and Patrick Rothfuss... both of whom wrote much longer series. Tolkien seems lean by comparison so far. Though I only started this week and have only covered the first 5 chapter of "The Fellowship..." so far.

• Like 2

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

12 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Wordiness and going off on tangents doesn't bother me... and often I appreciate wordy tangents when well done. My closest references for comparison is George Martin and Patrick Rothfuss... both of whom wrote much longer series. Tolkien seems lean by comparison so far. Though I only started this week and have only covered the first 5 chapter of "The Fellowship..." so far.

Solid calls on both. I love Tolkien and he's not a guy you're allowed to dislike. It's like disliking Van Gogh; regardless of personal taste, artistic output that fundamental to the genre has to be dealt with and understood. I actually think Rothfus did a better job of conveying individuals* and Martin did a better job conveying distinct cultures. But both authors are heavily indebted to the foundation laid by Tolkien. Even when Tolkien occasionally sux. #sorrynotsorry

*yes, psychological realism was well separated from the fantasy genre when Tolkien was writing; I'm still not embarrassed to admit the technique made better fantasy. I'll f*ing die on this hill. 

• Like 3

All this talk about fantasy authors makes me just want to toss David Eddings into the ring. Rich worlds, fairly well written books usually in trilogies or longer and he can make you cry like a baby and laugh your ass off in the span of a single chapter.

And I completely agree that Tolkien occasionally sucks. #couldntpaymetobesorry

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Leigh said:

All this talk about fantasy authors makes me just want to toss David Eddings into the ring. Rich worlds, fairly well written books usually in trilogies or longer and he can make you cry like a baby and laugh your ass off in the span of a single chapter.

And I completely agree that Tolkien occasionally sucks. #couldntpaymetobesorry

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

I haven't read him yet, but I have the first Belgariad on hold. Should I expect great things?

I grew up on Eddings, my father's doing. Expect absurd joy.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Laghail said:

It's really good to see you around Leigh. I feel like I channeled you this morning - I woke up groggy on sleeping pills and tried to meditate. The only reason I didn't sleep through the whole thing was weird drug dreams kept waking me up. 

When I do seated meditation I usually think I'm on point if it feels like I've been dreaming...

19 hours ago, Laghail said:

Solid calls on both. I love Tolkien and he's not a guy you're allowed to dislike. It's like disliking Van Gogh; regardless of personal taste, artistic output that fundamental to the genre has to be dealt with and understood. I actually think Rothfus did a better job of conveying individuals* and Martin did a better job conveying distinct cultures. But both authors are heavily indebted to the foundation laid by Tolkien. Even when Tolkien occasionally sux. #sorrynotsorry

*yes, psychological realism was well separated from the fantasy genre when Tolkien was writing; I'm still not embarrassed to admit the technique made better fantasy. I'll f*ing die on this hill. 

I just finished book one...

It didn't seem too wordy at first, but I think the issue is not so much wordiness, but there's a routine to the bits between action scenes that's already getting old.

Frodo wakes up.

Tolkien reports the weather.

They eat breakfast.

They walk.

He describes the sun, the view, and the grass.

They stop and eat.

Then they walk more, and he describes the sun and wind and the lay of the land.

Then they stop for the night to eat and go to sleep.

Then just throw in a story, song, or dream as it fits the time of day.

I don't find the prose itself so mind numbing, but it is like eating cookie by following a trail of crumbs, and I'm like "Dad, are we there yet?" But the crumbs are delicious so I keep walking, and occasionally I get a bite of the cookie.

Rothfuss would skip all the walking, mention the crumbs briefly, then give you a cookie.

Martin would describe the cookie in great detail, let you take a bite, then brutally kill the chef right in front of you so you could never eat the cookie again.

• Like 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

20 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Frodo wakes up.

Tolkien reports the weather.

They eat breakfast.

They walk.

He describes the sun, the view, and the grass.

They stop and eat.

Then they walk more, and he describes the sun and wind and the lay of the land.

Then they stop for the night to eat and go to sleep.

Then just throw in a story, song, or dream as it fits the time of day.

Yeah, that's an excellent summary. I almost don't think it was Tolkien's problem, more ours as the readers. His works have been so juiced as setting and how-to for every fantasy game, that reading his trilogy, this ground breaking fusion of Germanic myths and catholic hamartiology, can feel like reading a mediocre RPG sourcebook. It's not Tolkien's fault that Joseph Campbell and a horde of English majors have come along since and deconstructed the bejesus out of his world, but it's still disassembled all to hell and it can get boring waiting for the munchkins heroes to kick down the door and raid the room Cirith Ungol.

• Like 2

Is Hobbiton synonymous with Madison :P

Jk. I miss you though. I'm gonna be around the weekend of the 12-13, lets hang :)

• Like 2

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

50 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Is Hobbiton synonymous with Madison :P

Jk. I miss you though. I'm gonna be around the weekend of the 12-13, lets hang :)

Sometimes I swear Atwood ave could be like an urbanized part of the shire. Hairy feet, lumberjack beard, gauges and a PBR steel reserve? Done. Seriously though, Mid-December Kenosha Nerding needs to happen.

• Like 1

I can't picture a dwarf or a hobbit wearing skinny jeans tho.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

21 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

I can't picture a dwarf or a hobbit wearing skinny jeans tho.

That's good thing, it would be a bad mental image. I can, however, picture one wearing wooden sunglasses, sipping some overly fancy latte made with organic free trade shire coffee beans lamenting about how their favourite tavern singer soldout and left town to pursue a more lucrative career in Minas Tirith.

• Like 2