Brogo's Druid Challenge

Stronkey Kong

Hi Druids!

I've decided to challenge with you, and this will be my first druid challenge ever!

I've had an extreme amount of difficulty figuring out how to find and maintain a balance with my life between my job, workouts, nutritional, and personal development goals. Despite my efforts to make my challenges increasingly simple, I'm unable to maintain a workout routine, and I'm struggling with getting the recuperative rest I need to remain functional mentally, physically, and emotionally... Actually I do find this rest, but it's chipping at my other goals.

Here's my situation...

Over a year ago, I quit working on my PhD and walked out of grad school with my master's because academic life was increasingly dissatisfying and the financial burdens of being an underpaid grad student with student loan and credit card debt was becoming too difficult. All of the lack of progress and fulfilment despite a lot of hard work made me stressed and depressed. Not able to afford a new place or stay in my old one, I moved back in with my parents, temporarily, until I could find a new job. I thought I would be able to get a pretty well-paying job quickly, and I even got an interview for a good job within a week of being home, but that fell through. So I started working in a warehouse for about the same amount of money as my grad stipend. And I've been there ever since.

On the upside, things have stabilized in the past year. I'm caught up on bills, and have enough money in my pocket finally to survive. Earlier this week I applied for an apartment and should hear back in the next few days. If that goes through, and it should, I'll be moving out in the beginning of December. This challenge times out well for preparing for that transition.

Basically, I'm treating this all as a reset, and I'm going to focus on rebuilding a solid and balanced foundation.

Goal 1, Moving on: In the past hour or so I've been cleaning my room and starting to, or think about how to, pack up my things. As I go through I'll have to think about what should be thrown away, what should be kept, and what I'll need for my new place.

I'm going to spend a day each weekend, at least, working on this. What I'll do for accountability's sake is jot down notes in here about the thought process. Mostly I just want to avoid procrastinating, then mindlessly packing everything up and dragging around a ton of useless clutter to my new place.

I think everything,I have, need to get rid of, or want/need fits into three categories:

Essentials: Things I need to take care of myself and be healthy.

Comforts: Things I use to add comfort and convenience or entertainment.

Capital: Things that I need to work, make a living, or advance in my career like my computer or books for learning new things.

For everything, I need to identify which category it falls into, and figure out its overall value to that category.

However, a more practical scaffold is to assemble my "five rooms:"

Living Room -- where I live and entertain myself and others

Kitchen -- where Noms are made

Bedroom -- where I rest and sleep, then meet the day

Workshop -- where I build, create, work, and tinker

Bathroom -- where grooming and pooping happens

Okay, goal: Assemble lists for five rooms based on 3 criteria. I think it's time for a spreadsheet.

Goal 2, Nutrition and Food Budget:

This is a combo of two goals from last challenge. My food and my money are always at odds with each other. (Damn you breadfast sammiches! Damn you! I love you! ).

So I'm going to keep tracking noms on MFP and keep a weekly tab on food expenses so I can check on problems with both nutrition and overspending.

Another spreadsheet.

Goal 3, Get up at 4:00 am.

I have to be at work by 6:30. Last challenge I had a goal of going to the gym every morning, which required I get up at 4 am. That crashed and burned. Now I just have to get up early enough. And maybe, just maybe I'll get to the damn gym at some point, but right now I'm just going to focus on getting up that early.

Bonus: Do something for my health when I get up. So if I meditate (that's likely where I'll start), stretch, or go to the gym... boom +1 point. (Assuming I'll assign a point system to this challenge).

Edit: I'm changing goal 3 because I know it's not gonna happen. I'll work on this one later.

new! Goal 3: Fix my Achilles' heel: Literally, I'm having issues with Achilles' tendinitis in my left ankle, so I need to find some stretches and exercises to fix it, and do them everyday.

This one's more important than getting up earlier. We are heading into the peak season at work which means I'm gonna be on my feet 50-60 hours/week between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Currently, I limp out of my car at the end of the day because my feet/ankles, especially and mostly my left, bother me. That needs to be fixed and worked on so I can survive the Holiday season at work.

LUYL: Novel making.

As I mentioned in a post at the end of my last challenge, and have alluded to in several other posts, I have ideas for a novel. Well, actually, there's five or six ideas, and an entire slew of short stories. Devising characters and plots in my head is one of the ways I get myself through the day at the warehouse.

Last weekend I read an article about the "Snowflake method" for constructing a novel. I played with it and I have some good notes on the plot and main characters for one novel. I want to keep going and try this with my other ideas and see what pans out, which one I really get into, and finally start writing something substantial soon. It wouldn't hurt to find my copy of Strunk and White while I'm packing either.

I'm going to shoot for three outlines: Plot summary, character descriptions, and major scene descriptions... by the end of the challenge.

Also, I downloaded a book/lecture series on Audible about writing fiction. So maybe finishing that for some bonus points.

• Like 7

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Placeholder for reasons TBD

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Following you to the Druids to watch you break their hearts the way you broke ours ;) 

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Ommmmmmm (motherfucker)

• Like 4

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Update: week 0, day 1 (or let's use septal number notation, Day 01)

Goal 1, Moving on: I got a phone call today from the property company and my application was accepted! So this is happening.

Yesterday I went through my room/closet, and mostly picked out clothes to throw or give away. I didn't choose as much as I expected or maybe should have. I'll have to give that another go.

Mostly, my dressier shirts... you know the ones with buttons and collars... some of those need to go. In reality I maybe need like two or three.

I also have a lot of dress pants. And they range in size from like 34" waist up to 38". At one point I was a 34" if you'll believe it. The 38" s are a little tight, but if I stay on track they may be of use to me before thanksgiving, then of no use the following Friday xD. I'm gonna hang on to them hoping that as I lose weight I'll need them.

I found three pairs of jeans and cargo pants that are 38"s. My goal will be to fit into them by the end of the challenge.

I have many T-shirts, and I can never have too many. Some of the old ones I'm trashing. Then I have some medium old ones that will be workout clothes. Then I have some ones that are still kinda new but tight fitting, those too will be a fitness goal.

Goal 2, Nutrition/Food Budget: Yesterday and today have been tracked. My calories have been between 2500 and 3000, so low (my maintenance is above 3500), and I'm keeping the protein high. Pounds have been melting off lately.

At the beginning of last challenge I was pushing 270# with a 42" waist.

Today I weighed in at 262.8# with a 38.5" waist.

Need to keep that going.

Goal 3, Get up at 4 am:

It's zero week and not a work day so I got up at 7:44 am. Which is early because I usually sleep til 9-10 am when I'm off. Realistically I could always be up by 6 on off days, but lately the sun's not up, and sleep is awesome.

LUYL: I've been bouncing between 2 of my bigger ideas and might try to get something down on paper Libre Office Writer later tonight.

• Like 5

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Well done on the finding a place! Now you just got the lovely job of moving :D Downsizing first is always a good idea.

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

10 hours ago, Laghail said:

Congrats on the accepted application Curl, what's the walk score like in the place you're moving to?

According to one website it gets a 74, which is high for most of Indianapolis. Who thought a place famous for a racetrack would be so crazy about making a city car dependent... eh?

There's a lot of cool stuff within a block or two... a brewery, pizza place, several cafes, a guitar store, a local/organic/health food market, and several other shops. But, if I wanted to go grocery shopping at a place with reasonable prices or go to the gym I'd have to at least ride a bike or get in a car.

2 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Well done on the finding a place! Now you just got the lovely job of moving :D Downsizing first is always a good idea.

Fortunately I downsized when I moved in with the folks, so not much there. I actually need to upsize a bit, but I'm trying to focus on the essentials and not fill my new place with a bunch of crap I don't need. And there are already a bunch of family members trying to dump their unwanted crap on me.

• Like 5

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

2 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

According to one website it gets a 74, which is high for most of Indianapolis. Who thought a place famous for a racetrack would be so crazy about making a city car dependent... eh?

There's a lot of cool stuff within a block or two... a brewery, pizza place, several cafes, a guitar store, a local/organic/health food market, and several other shops. But, if I wanted to go grocery shopping at a place with reasonable prices or go to the gym I'd have to at least ride a bike or get in a car.

I heard a great interview with Adam Thies, the director of the Indianapolis Department of Metropolitan Development - dude made me wanna stop for a weekend stay the next time I drive through Indy. I couldn't find the audio of the one I heard, but this is fairly close - http://www.planetizen.com/node/76211/interview-indianapolis-young-gun-planning-director-adam-thies

I'm personally moving from this lovely 89 walkscore upper above an anime shop, above a brewery, across the street from a coffee shop / wine bar, 3 blocks from lake Michigan - to a 0 walk score address; huge sad face. But we'll be saving some dough and it's a good/necessary move anyway. Still, yuuuuuuuge sad face.

• Like 1

Well it's official... I'm moving in December. I just put my deposit down.

6 hours ago, Laghail said:

I heard a great interview with Adam Thies, the director of the Indianapolis Department of Metropolitan Development - dude made me wanna stop for a weekend stay the next time I drive through Indy. I couldn't find the audio of the one I heard, but this is fairly close - http://www.planetizen.com/node/76211/interview-indianapolis-young-gun-planning-director-adam-thies

I'm personally moving from this lovely 89 walkscore upper above an anime shop, above a brewery, across the street from a coffee shop / wine bar, 3 blocks from lake Michigan - to a 0 walk score address; huge sad face. But we'll be saving some dough and it's a good/necessary move anyway. Still, yuuuuuuuge sad face.

Skimmed it...

I like his goals, but I wonder how achievable they are here. There has been a lot of change downtown, but beyond that its very spread out. There are some cool neighborhoods, but that is one of the things is that this city is so decentralized and suburban.

Also, Indiana-noplace... You can make it "cool" and "appealing" to millennials... the thing is this whole city to me feels like a drive-through city still. It's really a hub for distribution in the center and that has always been the reason it exists at all. Unfortunately, it's not much of a source of anything.

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

8 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Also, Indiana-noplace... You can make it "cool" and "appealing" to millennials... the thing is this whole city to me feels like a drive-through city still. It's really a hub for distribution in the center and that has always been the reason it exists at all. Unfortunately, it's not much of a source of anything.

I'm south of you in Louisville, KY pretty much the same thing applies.

• Like 1

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

1 hour ago, Curl Brogo said:

Well it's official... I'm moving in December. I just put my deposit down.

Skimmed it...

I like his goals, but I wonder how achievable they are here. There has been a lot of change downtown, but beyond that its very spread out. There are some cool neighborhoods, but that is one of the things is that this city is so decentralized and suburban.

I know, it's the curse of the major cities that grew up after WWII: developed with the automotive consumer in mind, the idea of 'place' was deconstructed past recognition until many districts have an easier time being compared to websites, than to a neighborhood or a continuing piece of a specific urban fabric. Still, it's also a shame to let only higher cost of living cities like Portland or Manhattan have real places and engaged people who love their home. If even Memphis or Detroit can contain some lovely places, famous for being walkable, pleasant places to live, surely indy has decent districts here and there that can grow. Shoot, 74 walk score isn't a bad place to start as long as there's things around you actually like.

TL;DR - http://www.strongtowns.org/ - come on in, the kool-aide is fine.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Laghail said:

I know, it's the curse of the major cities that grew up after WWII: developed with the automotive consumer in mind, the idea of 'place' was deconstructed past recognition until many districts have an easier time being compared to websites, than to a neighborhood or a continuing piece of a specific urban fabric. Still, it's also a shame to let only higher cost of living cities like Portland or Manhattan have real places and engaged people who love their home. If even Memphis or Detroit can contain some lovely places, famous for being walkable, pleasant places to live, surely indy has decent districts here and there that can grow. Shoot, 74 walk score isn't a bad place to start as long as there's things around you actually like.

TL;DR - http://www.strongtowns.org/ - come on in, the kool-aide is fine.

tl;dr -- start giving a damn, and help out -- don't need any kool-aide (aka fancy website with a mission statement) to do that

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Goal 1, Moving On: So yup, put down my deposit today. I also started listing stuff for the what I have vs. need. The big ticket items are a bed and some chairs or a couch. I have a free futon coming, but basically I'll need one or the other.

Goal 2, Nutrition/Food budget: Today was tracked. I do my food budget at the end of the week. I spent a little today on lunch meat for when I'm at work, and I made tacos for dinner for the fam and needed some fixins.

Goal 3, Get up at 4 am: I got up at 7:30 -sh again.  My weekends don't really count other than I shouldn't screw with my sleep/wake schedule too much. I set the coffee pot to start brewing at 3:50 am so I have an incentive to get up at 4.

• Like 5

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Cool challenge, and congratulations on the new place! I just recently moved "out on my own" again, too. I also had a vague sort of food planning goal last challenge that didn't go so well, so I'm real curious to see what you do with yours.

• Like 2

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

9 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

Cool challenge, and congratulations on the new place! I just recently moved "out on my own" again, too. I also had a vague sort of food planning goal last challenge that didn't go so well, so I'm real curious to see what you do with yours.

I'm trying to get away from strict diet planning. Things work best for me when I'm simply paying attention and then i can notice my mistakes.

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Sleep is pretty dope, can't fault you there. When's moving day? Start of Nov? 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Sleep is pretty dope, can't fault you there. When's moving day? Start of Nov? 

December 12(?)

My lease doesn't start till dec 7, then i have to wait till I'm off.

And if course that's right I'm the middle of holiday peak season... That time of year when the other elves and i are working 55 hours/week.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

On 10/23/2016 at 10:31 AM, Curl Brogo said:

As I mentioned in a post at the end of my last challenge, and have alluded to in several other posts, I have ideas for a novel. Well, actually, there's five or six ideas, and an entire slew of short stories. Devising characters and plots in my head is one of the ways I get myself through the day at the warehouse.

Last weekend I read an article about the "Snowflake method" for constructing a novel. I played with it and I have some good notes on the plot and main characters for one novel. I want to keep going and try this with my other ideas and see what pans out, which one I really get into, and finally start writing something substantial soon. It wouldn't hurt to find my copy of Strunk and White while I'm packing either.

I'm going to shoot for three outlines: Plot summary, character descriptions, and major scene descriptions... by the end of the challenge.

I've been working on one as well.  I found it helped me a lot to have a separate Word doc with exactly what you're shooting for:  character and faction backgrounds and descriptions, basic plot outlines, etc.  

Then again I'm still only like 17k words in.  I love what I've written but it's been very slow for me.  Gives me a new appreciation for writers like Rothfuss and Martin. 

Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

2 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

I've been working on one as well.  I found it helped me a lot to have a separate Word doc with exactly what you're shooting for:  character and faction backgrounds and descriptions, basic plot outlines, etc.  

Then again I'm still only like 17k words in.  I love what I've written but it's been very slow for me.  Gives me a new appreciation for writers like Rothfuss and Martin. 

I read that Jack London used to write 100 words every morning, maybe 200, but not much, no matter what, and he was prolific. Granted on certain days, that was probably just the bare minimum before he could walk away from the typewriter, and other days just a brief start to get into gear.

Writing is a slow process. Gotta keep doing it.

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Goal 1, Moving on: no progress, just worked today

Goal 2, Nutrition/Food Budget: Stupid, stupid, stupid... I went to Burger King. Boo.

Goal 3, Get up at 4 am: Coffee did not entice me enough I guess... Slept in till 5:05... 10 min later than usual even.

I feel like in the beginning of challenges I almost rebel against myself and my own goals and do worse than before I was even trying.

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

1 hour ago, Curl Brogo said:

I read that Jack London used to write 100 words every morning, maybe 200, but not much, no matter what, and he was prolific. Granted on certain days, that was probably just the bare minimum before he could walk away from the typewriter, and other days just a brief start to get into gear.

Writing is a slow process. Gotta keep doing it.

For awhile there I was trying to just put in 15 minutes per day.  Often if I can make myself get going a thousand words will spill out.  Just gotta do it. 

• Like 1
Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges: