"If you like Pina Coladas": C_Q's Escape

Charlie_Quinn

Charlie Quinn's Holiday Challenge

Probably a poor choice of song, seeing as it's not really about drinking cocktails on a beach.

I'm off to The Dominican Republic on the 4th of November for 2 weeks, so this is more of a battle log than a challenge. But I'm putting some mini goals in place for while I'm away so I don't spend 2 weeks doing nothing but eating and drinking on a sun lounger. 

Before I escape:

im7pXJ.gif

Keep moving - Any form of exercise at least 30 mins per day (one rest day allowed)

For the first time in a while, I don't have a race to train for until next year. The aim is just to keep things ticking over until I'm back from holiday. I'm expecting to lose a bit of fitness while I'm away, but I want to limit the damage by keeping things up for the next few weeks.

While I'm away:

minions funny gif minion despicable minions minions gif

This will depend on what facilities I have available to me when I'm on holiday. I think there is a gym at the hotel but I'm not sure what equipment it has.

• Running: If there is a treadmill, then I'll aim to run 3 times a week - If there is no treadmill, then I'll get in as much swimming as possible. I don't think running outside is going to be possible due to the heat. I really hope there is a treadmill, as I've stupidly signed up for a run the day after we fly back! That was very bad planning!
  • Strength Training: If the gym has free-weights, I'll aim to be 2 workouts a week
  • Bodyweight training: If there isn't any free-weights, then I'll work on bodyweight movements. Pull ups probably won't be possible, but push-ups, BW squats and dips should be easy to do in the hotel room.
  • Handstands: If there is nothing available then I'll use the free time to work on handstands again. It's something I've always wanted to do and never found the time to fit it into my workout, so seeing as I'll have plenty of time available, I figure, why not give it a try?

Before and during my escape:

Don't eat like an asshole

raw

I'm not fussed about being "beach-body ready" (I'm shuddering just typing that ridiculous term), but I get bloated and uncomfortable when over-eat or eat too much junk, and I don't want to spend my holiday feeling uncomfortable. The hotel is all inclusive so this is more about self-control and "conscious eating". Just because the food is there, it doesn't mean I have to eat it. But it doesn't mean I'm going to deny myself if there is something I really want to try. 

I should have WiFi in the resort so I might be able to post a bit while I'm away, but I'm going to try to switch off a bit while I'm away. I'm not good at doing nothing but I'm going to try to relax as much as possible without getting completely bored!

minion-beach-party-o.gif

• Like 14

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

This is the THIRD reference I've heard in the last three days to the Pina Colada song, so following your challenge is obviously destiny.

• Like 2

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

The soundtrack for this 'challenge' makes me long for a relaxing time on the beach. Following alone and vacationing vicariously. 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

20 hours ago, maegs said:

That's a really solid plan for your vacation! 

giphy.gif

Thanks. I'm just hoping I can stick to it, and "vacation brain" doesn't take over too much!

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Great plan! Here's a link Steve wrote years ago about a hotel room workout. 

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/

Thanks for this. It's pretty much the same sort of thing I was planning. Except for the suitcase lifts, that's a genius idea!

19 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

This is the THIRD reference I've heard in the last three days to the Pina Colada song, so following your challenge is obviously destiny.

I actually don't like this song very much! I just needed a holiday themed name for the challenge. The ending of the song annoys me. So, it turns out that the person in the ad was his partner, and neither of them got angry that they were both going to meet a stranger in a bar? Yeah, that sounds legit.

19 hours ago, Muir said:

Mmmm coconut and pineapple.

pina_dance.gif

Definitely following. enjoy your holiday!

One of my favourite combinations. My mouth is watering now, damn it!

19 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

The soundtrack for this 'challenge' makes me long for a relaxing time on the beach. Following alone and vacationing vicariously. 

For the true experience, pour yourself a nice long drink with a long funny straw, a tiny umbrella and a large slice of fruit wedged on the side of the glass.

18 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Following!

GIPHY Studios Originals hello hi cute kawaii  

7 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Keeping tags. Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks! Still have 10 days to go until the flight. I think I've got myself in the holiday mood a bit too early!

• Like 4

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

2 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

For the true experience, pour yourself a nice long drink with a long funny straw, a tiny umbrella and a large slice of fruit wedged on the side of the glass.

I'll add a sun lamp and a bucket of sand to complete the scene!

• Like 2

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Monday Oct 24th

So I've heard of noodle-arms, but today I discovered noodle-legs. Went to the gym at lunchtime, did barbell squats, deadlifts and finished with some planking. My gym is upstairs, and as I walked down the stairs to go shower my legs nearly gave out from under me! It wasn't a particularly intense workout, I did 5x5 on the squats but kept the weight at a reasonable 45kg. IDK, maybe I was a bit under-fueled. I came back to work and wolfed down a plate of roast pork and veggies and the legs are a bit less wobbly now. Just waiting for the inevitable DOMS....

Decided to add planking to my holiday workout as I've realised I have an atrociously weak core. Not good for an obstacle course enthusiast and climber.

• Like 6

2020 Races: 

32 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

So, it turns out that the person in the ad was his partner, and neither of them got angry that they were both going to meet a stranger in a bar? Yeah, that sounds legit.

I know, right? Stabbing should ensue.

• Like 3

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

You had a pretty intense summer OCR/race schedule.  I'd say a challenge of scaling back and enjoying yourself is well-deserved.  You may lose a little fitness, but it makes for good injury prevention in the long run.

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

5 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

So I've heard of noodle-arms, but today I discovered noodle-legs.

This is always really fun! Its like regressing to a toddler. 

• Like 2

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

I get this song stuck in my head all the time and I have no idea why. This will only exacerbate my problem I fear! 

I can't wait to live vicariously through you for two weeks, have an excellent time! 

• Like 3

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Great plan! Here's a link Steve wrote years ago about a hotel room workout. 

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/

Hey Hey ! This is the page google landed me on which introduced me to Nerd Fitness !!

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.

• Like 3

Good plan! Following again.

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

On 10/24/2016 at 4:06 PM, DJtrippyT said:

I know, right? Stabbing should ensue.

Maybe there's a stabby follow up song that we don't know about.

On 10/24/2016 at 6:04 PM, Mad Hatter said:

This last weekend dreary, ugly fall started so now I'm super jealous of your trip! 

yeah, it's proper miserable now. Leaving for 2 weeks is going to be bliss - trying not to think about how returning will feel.

On 10/24/2016 at 6:19 PM, Phoenix Burning said:

You had a pretty intense summer OCR/race schedule.  I'd say a challenge of scaling back and enjoying yourself is well-deserved.  You may lose a little fitness, but it makes for good injury prevention in the long run.

You're right, it wouldn't kill me to relax for a bit. I didn't think in terms of injury prevention but that makes sense.

On 10/24/2016 at 9:18 PM, jonfirestar said:

This is always really fun! Its like regressing to a toddler. 

Ha! Or aging really really fast. No wait, that's too depressing.

On 10/24/2016 at 9:19 PM, deftona said:

I get this song stuck in my head all the time and I have no idea why. This will only exacerbate my problem I fear! 

I can't wait to live vicariously through you for two weeks, have an excellent time! 

Do you have Guardian's of the Galaxy on constant repeat? The soundtrack is one of my running playlists so I end up listening to it more often than I should!

On 10/24/2016 at 9:52 PM, skinNbones said:

Hey Hey ! This is the page google landed me on which introduced me to Nerd Fitness !!

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.

Really? That's awesome. I think I ended up here while researching how to squat properly and stumbled across Spezzy's story.

On 10/25/2016 at 4:10 AM, Big_Show said:

Happy holidays!

Thanking you!

17 hours ago, stonegirl78 said:

Hey Stonegirl! Good to see you again! Are you at Comic Con this weekend? I was hoping to go but sadly not going to make it now. 

15 hours ago, Terra said:

Enjoy that vacation!!!  and I agree dumb song!

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Agnarr said:

Solid vacation plan! Really feel you on not being good at doing nothing. That's the reason I have 75 hobbies and can't keep up with any of them :P

Rangerbrain

10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'm going to suggest that you actually do spend some time sitting in the surf drinking cocktails. That's about the best way to spend a vacation.

This is what The Hubs keeps telling me. This is the first 2 week break we've done - the longest we've done so far is 10 days - and I tend to start complaining I'm bored after about 4 days so I'm going to drive him a bit nuts I think! I can't help it, I just find sitting still for too long frustrating.

9 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Good plan! Following again.

Thanks!

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

This week has not started well. You know those DOMS I mentioned? They arrived and they were pissed. My legs are still killing me 2 days after leg day. I had to skip my planned lunchtime run yesterday as I looked like a member of the Ministry of Silly Walks on my commute, and strange groans were emanating from my mouth when getting in and out of chairs. I think it wasn't so much the weight that killed me, it was the volume. I've not done 5x5 in a while, so in hindsight I should have dropped the weight down a little to get used to it again.

54349445.jpg

Anyway, I'm climbing tonight in an attempt to loosen me up. Pray for me

1106371.gif?b64lines=IlByYXkgZm9yIE1vam8i

• Like 7

2020 Races: