freck

tumblr_n5kyjwujZK1s0mbfho1_400.gif

Yeaaaah, I don't have a theme this time. I wanted to see what that's like.

So! My last challenge was working well, but stuff was getting too complicated, so I'm keeping the stuff that works and changing the stuff that was stressing me out.

What's working:

- The lifts. You just can't keep me out of the gym. I hardly even need motivation. I love going. I'm not tweaking the program further at this time. It's still working great. I am experiencing the itch to try new things, but currently waiting it out and just eyeballing other programs for possible later experimentation. May tweak OHP training if it comes to a deload in this challenge, but I might not be there yet with it.

- The protein. I'm managing to hit my targets and have back up plans for off kilter days where my macros get screwed up. No problems here.

- The mobility. This has a real impact on the quality of my workouts, and I've gotten more flexible. No changes needed.

What needs work:

- Calorie goals. I keep pretty meticulous data and I know my TDEE is roughly 1600 right now. I regularly set this limit and overshoot it by 100+, except for rare weeks. I haven't been grading poorly for overshooting, but I've gained noticeable fat and probably need to rein this in before I get too unhappy about it, and especially before I need to wardrobe shop. If I'm going to buy new clothes for a new body, it's going to be for muscley muscles, not growing saddlebags. I think short mini-cuts might work well for me (as opposed to a longer term cut to lean out all at once), and I'm going to start incorporating them infrequently to help keep a Real Cut at bay. What's a mini-cut to me? 4 weeks of a 250 calorie deficit, done on a weekly average. Fail or succeed, 4 weeks is the limit. (Yes, I know I said I wasn't cutting, but I just ate an extra pound's worth in birthday food, and this I feel is a pretty decent compromise.) A successful mini-cut SHOULD result in a loss of 2 lbs total. Very gentle.

- Adulting goals. The points system was good, but I was starting to fret about always logging whatever little chore I was doing for points. I was frequently forgetting to add or subtract. It worked well to get me off my butt and was kind of a fun way to balance play with being productive, but it needs some simplification for reals.

- Being active. I'm too sedentary. Desk job, hobbies that all involve sitting down, I'd like to get my body moving more. Doesn't matter what it is. I've already been trying to raise my activity separate from my previous goals, but I'm going to add it in and make it official. (Yes, the TDEE estimation is taking this into account.)

e8a5w9s.gif

FUEL

1.0 Weekly calorie goal, weeks 1-3: 1350. Mini-cut is actually starting in week 0, so week 4 will have a goal of 1500-1650, with a little more emphasis on not going over since I do have trouble there. 

1.1 Protein goal of 95g per day. (Keeping the one day of leeway indefinitely.)

1.2 4 days a week where sugary/salty snack treats do not exceed 200 calories. (no change here)

Note: I've removed the diet soda goal because it's in the bag now, I don't need it anymore. I also removed the one super good day goal b/c I don't really think I care enough and feel the simple limit on daily indulgence is more than fine for my goals.

DRIVE

2.0 Keep lifting, stick to the program, 4 days a week.

2.1 Attend Strongwoman class weekly

2.2 10k steps a day as an average over the week

MOVING PARTS

3.0 Keep rolling/stretching/etc 6 days a week, 15 minutes.

BURPEE MADNESS

4.0 Instead of points, burpees, with a set list of things that will make me owe burpees. The idea isn't to fully discourage the things below, only to get more balance between these things I do by default and things I'd like to do more of but need more motivation (clean things, study, eat a little better)

1 hour video games or solo TV watching = 15 burpees, or 8 push up burpees

Failed to study = 20 burpees, or 12 push up burpees

1 alcoholic drink = 15 burpees, or 8 push up burpees

>200 calorie treats (think big sugar bombs or savory salty snack bombs) = 20 burpees, or 12 push up burpees

Total lack of productivity = 20 burpees, or 12 push up burpees

Didn't eat a single vegetable all day = 10 burpees (no substitutions) (Look, @Koaladle, I'm including a sort of veggie goal!)

More notes: 11/2 is my nerdiversary and I'm planning to do a big write-up with happy words and some analysis of the journey so far~

Scoring format:

1.0 0/1, 0/1, 0/1, 0/1

1.1 0/7, 0/7, 0/7, 0/7

1.2 0/4, 0/4, 0/4, 0/4

2.0 0/4, 0/4, 0/4, 0/4

2.1 0/1, 0/1, 0/1, 0/1

2.2 0/1, 0/1, 0/1, 0/1

3.0 0/7, 0/7, 0/7, 0/7

Burpees paid:

Burpees debt:

• Like 9

Challenge Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

OMG burpee maddness!!!! That is insanely effective!! My diving coach made us do V ups every time we balked a dive in practice. Results? Incredible focus and mindfulness hehehe

Have you looked into nutrient timing at all? Sounds like you already have your cut in mind, but I've been pretty happy with this system of hitting X calories on training day, and X-200 on recovery days, with a slight focus switch on carbs vs fat. Just tossing that out there for no reason :) 

Here's to another round!!! :D 

• Like 2

Ugh! If I used burpees to motivate me I'd burn everything to the ground. You are pretty awesome to be doing that!

I'm very interested in this mini-cut you're doing. You are pretty controlled in what you do, so I can see it working. For me, I'd probably gorge after the four weeks because I am an idiot. lol But I think you're going to smash it!

• Like 1

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

Previous Challenges: 1 ~ Current Challenge

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

OMG burpee maddness!!!! That is insanely effective!! My diving coach made us do V ups every time we balked a dive in practice. Results? Incredible focus and mindfulness hehehe

Have you looked into nutrient timing at all? Sounds like you already have your cut in mind, but I've been pretty happy with this system of hitting X calories on training day, and X-200 on recovery days, with a slight focus switch on carbs vs fat. Just tossing that out there for no reason :) 

Here's to another round!!! :D 

I have! It doesn't work out well with super AM workouts, though, because I'm running on fuel from the previous day and the workout itself suffers :( So really I go for the same goal every day, with focus on a bigger dinner before lift days. It seems to help.

• Like 2

Challenge Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

3 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I have! It doesn't work out well with super AM workouts, though, because I'm running on fuel from the previous day and the workout itself suffers :( So really I go for the same goal every day, with focus on a bigger dinner before lift days. It seems to help.

Makes sense! Except the early morning workouts part ;) 

• Like 2
Just now, ~RedStone~ said:

Makes sense! Except the early morning workouts part ;) 

Yeah, if I could manage afternoons that's where it would happen! Alas, it just doesn't fit into the schedule the way things are. I am NOT a morning person. I'm usually running on pre-workout and pure crankiness before 8 AM

• Like 2

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

I really like the Burpee Madness for missing goals.  It's definitely a great idea.  Keep up the successes!

• Like 1

"Destiny is important, see, but people go wrong when they think it controls them. It's the other way around." - Terry Pratchett

Lift: 1 of 24                                             Eat Right: 1 of 42                              Stay Sane: 1 of 42   

I too have been considering a gentle calorie deficit.

But then I decided not to.  For now.  Maybe spring.

V. interested in your progress and how it works for you!  The times I've tried to scale my food back I turn into some kind of hangry snarling jerkface.  ; ;

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

4 minutes ago, shaar said:

I too have been considering a gentle calorie deficit.

But then I decided not to.  For now.  Maybe spring.

V. interested in your progress and how it works for you!  The times I've tried to scale my food back I turn into some kind of hangry snarling jerkface.  ; ;

I usually just get fatigued, sleep a lot more, and miss reps. NOT my favorite, but I usually don't get too hangry! Small favors. I have decided since I probably won't be entertaining folks with a lot of PRs this challenge, maybe I'll tuck daily haikus into my check ins. Just for fun, and to distract from the sadder than usual workouts :D

(And then, week 4, RIGHT back on the PR wagon, probably.)

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

20 hours ago, ixaera said:

BURPEE MADNESS

4.0 Instead of points, burpees, with a set list of things that will make me owe burpees. The idea isn't to fully discourage the things below, only to get more balance between these things I do by default and things I'd like to do more of but need more motivation (clean things, study, eat a little better)

1 hour video games or solo TV watching = 15 burpees, or 8 push up burpees

Failed to study = 20 burpees, or 12 push up burpees

1 alcoholic drink = 15 burpees, or 8 push up burpees

>200 calorie treats (think big sugar bombs or savory salty snack bombs) = 20 burpees, or 12 push up burpees

Total lack of productivity = 20 burpees, or 12 push up burpees

Didn't eat a single vegetable all day = 10 burpees (no substitutions) (Look, @Koaladle, I'm including a sort of veggie goal!)

Oh, my!  Burpees!

burpees.jpg

10x10 EMOM!

100 Reps for Time!

:D

i-love-burpees-said-no-one-ever.png

Interesting you refer to "push-up" burpees.

It was pretty quick I learned they are not push-ups.  Going down, I try to hit the ground as hard as I can without knocking the wind out.  Going up I make just enough room to get my feet into position.  It is not a push-up.  Less energy used that way.

There is no way to get 100 reps in five or even seven minutes if it was a push-up.  But maybe that is not what you meant.

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

6 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

It was pretty quick I learned they are not push-ups.  Going down, I try to hit the ground as hard as I can without knocking the wind out.  Going up I make just enough room to get my feet into position.  It is not a push-up.  Less energy used that way.

These guys:

tumblr_inline_mwbt52iu7S1rdu2za.jpg

They are harder than these guys:

Burpees.jpg

But yeah, HOPEFULLY I won't end up doing 75 standard ones most days. Or for time ever, no

I do nothing for time

It's madness, not an abomination~

• Like 4

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Just throwing week 0 workouts in here because whatever, y'all

It's light week, so no PRs by default (yes, I realized the next 4 weeks had a light week and a deload planned in two of the weeks, so I figured it was better than most times to do this mini-cut)

Squats

1x5 54 lbs

1x5 67.5 lbs

1x3 81 lbs

1x5 88 lbs

1x5 101 lbs

1x5 115 lbs

3x8 88 lbs

I'm liking adding the first set last to these sets. Previously, I didn't feel like it was enough volume, but more jokers would ruin the whole point of having one week in three where you're not lifting near max. First set last works well. I'm nowhere near fried, and it doesn't feel like basically a deload.

Deadlifts

5x5 126.5 lbs (all overhand grip, gotta get that grip work)

Seated leg curls

5x12 55 lbs

Q8cXXKo.gif

• Like 6

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

3 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Just throwing week 0 workouts in here because whatever, y'all

I do the same thing. :)

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

I'm trying to catch up with your challenge so far I got burpees and red pandas dancing. So what's not to love? 

Also, I can't do a burpee. I have to kick back/forward one leg at a time because I'm poorly coordinated, not because I'm not strong enough. I'm just a klutz. :| 

• Like 2

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

29 minutes ago, Haikoo said:

P.S. Burpees are awesome! I gained so much strength doing the (mostly) pushup burpees with that challenge!!

I secretly kind of like them? I KNOW, WARRIOR SACRILEDGE. Temporarily. I didn't like them for ages after I had to do 75 a day for a challenge lol

I'm really glad it's zero week, I am just getting workouts and the first week of cut done because OH BOY work has me being crazy. Boss was texting before I even got in, there's a fire with a sensitive customer, and due to drama I'm the person who needs to fix it (stuff happened, they do not like a coworker of mine), under the gun to get answers before noon because client guy PROMISED AN ANSWER BY NOON WHYYYY NOOOOO

anyway

Having to miss strongwoman class tonight because a file to fix things *might* be ready for me tonight and I need to be ready *just in case*

I'd rather be flipping tires, you know??

And so much forum to catch up on now~

• Like 4

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

59 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I secretly kind of like them? I KNOW, WARRIOR SACRILEDGE. Temporarily. I didn't like them for ages after I had to do 75 a day for a challenge lol

I don't mind burpees at all. They're a great quick HR starter and you get a pushup! And a jump! And you can do them like a million bazillion ways. I mean.. 1-100 progressions aside of course. (I'm looking at you, @Haikoo !!)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ixaera said:

I'd rather be flipping tires, you know??

Man, there are so many things that I would happily avoid if I could flip tires instead, too. I mean, who wouldn't want to, right?

• Like 2

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

Previous Challenges: 1 ~ Current Challenge