Xena sharpens her claws

Xena

...Because catwoman is kind of awesome.

...And as a play on “Sharpening the saw”, the last habit described in “7 Habits of Highly Effective People”. The idea is that if you are cutting wood all day every day, you have to keep working harder and harder to have the same effects…or you could stop, take some time and sharpen the darned saw. So this cat is going to sharpen her claws.

1.       Run 100 miles. It’s such a nice round number that it’s hard to resist. I’m doing a marathon at the end of week 1. Not really really sure how the mileage will go, since I need to recover, but I think it’s doable. Marathon week should of course give me a solid head start.

2.       250 pushups. Week 1 sets of at least 5 with 40 seconds between them, drops 5 seconds per week. Get a full minute if the sets are at least 6. I’m actually hoping to mostly do sets of 6 and make that the minimum for next challenge.

3.       50 chin-up negatives. Each time I do these, I’ll also follow them with at least 2 pull-up negatives.

4.       Sharpening the claws (professional edition): Spending time each week working on either building skills, working on long-term outreach projects, or doing important background reading to form a basis for new projects. 2 hours per week…because I have some travel, it’s ok to carry over if necessary. This is very much the equivalent of taking time for myself in a professional context.

5.       Sharping the claws (personal edition…also called Enjoy the season). A fall scavenger hunt of sorts. I’m going to start this goal in zero week…there are 12 things on the list. Full credit for doing 8 different things on the list, and at least 10 total (2 per week). This is sort of a fun gamified way to make some time for myself (better than a cat-nap???).  

Walk outside with a coffee (from my house in the morning)

Yoga on my patio

Go to the beach

Make applesauce

Take myself on an outing with my camera

Recharge at a yoga class

Do some volunteer work

Do the Friday night run

Go to a new (to me) local restaurant

Listen to live music

Go to the library

Read the local (weekly) paper. Ideally find some quirky local thing to do.

And a modified diet goal/game….My game until now has been aiming for an average of 2000 calories per day. If I make this for a week (14,000 calories), I let myself buy a new song on iTunes.  I’ve learned that to stay motivated, I need to add some extra complications…if I get behind early in the week, or if a day is just too hard to count, I sometimes give up and eating goes downhill later in the week. So new bonus….if I don’t make my goal for a week, every day that was under 2000 calories earns me a bonus 100. So if I was under goal for 3 days, the next week, I only have to get under 14,300. I know this is very small bonus, but parts of my brain are kind of stupid. I think it will work. This challenge, the week of my marathon will only have 5 days that count (day before and day of the marathon don’t count at all).

• Like 11

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Following along! 

Catwoman_0007.jpg

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Meow! Following!

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

What a purrrfect challenge set up.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Following. I love the scavenger hunt idea. I'm going to file that one away for future challenges, if you don't mind!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Following!

• Like 1

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

Nice goals! Following...

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

On 10/24/2016 at 1:31 PM, Phoenix Burning said:

Following!  I love the autumn scavenger hunt idea!

thanks! I'm kind of excited for it.

21 hours ago, Big_Show said:

Yep, a marathon will definitely help your weekly mileage!

It almost feels like cheating in a weird way...

3 hours ago, Agnarr said:

Nice goals! Especially the sharpening the claw/saw part. Is a good analogy

Thanks! I see you have a zombie challenge. Looking forward to checking it out.

Yesterday did my usual Monday 2-miler (most running plans tell me to take Monday off, but I've learned that a short run REALLY helps me keep motivated) and a great day at the gym. Finally did my real gravitron test :-) 6/4/4 reps at "14" (~75% of body weight). Have a clear target next time. Did another workout that I ripped out an old magazine. I like doing random magazine workouts once in a while because it forces me to try new things :-)

Today easy-ish 3 miles in the morning. Definitely fully in taper mode right now. It's PERFECT running weather, and I just want to go out there and tear it up...but I can't. Not yet.

Image result for patience cat

• Like 8

Oct/Nov 2016

Love the theme! :) Especially the sharping claws part!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

17 hours ago, Xena said:

I've learned that a short run REALLY helps me keep motivated

Gotta know what motivates you. That's what helps build habits. Way to stick with it!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

21 hours ago, obax said:

Running a marathon is crazy to me. Running 100 miles is even crazier. But I'm along for the ride!

Glad to have you! The running actually makes me less crazy.

19 hours ago, Big_Show said:

I count 5k/10k races as one of weekly speedwork sessions

Totally counts.

4 hours ago, jstanlick said:

Gotta know what motivates you. That's what helps build habits. Way to stick with it!

That's a nice way to say it. I think it's funny how I've come up with fairly elaborate ways to "trick myself" into doing things. But if it works...

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

6 hours ago, RES said:

Love the theme! :) Especially the sharping claws part!

Thanks! I'll have to find something to attack next challenge!

-----------

5 miles in the morning and kind of a fun exercise for the daily dare. Uneven plank, I minute on each side:

068-uneven-plank.jpg

I kind of liked it. Felt it in my obliques.

Today felt kind of draining at work, and I'm not 100% sure why so much. After a mildly frustrating interaction, I even took a break and listened to a short meditation podcast. It was good in that it broke me out of a negative cycle of thought...I think next time I would try to do something similar but while walking outside (weather dependent!).

Problem could also have been that I was strict with myself on diet today. Mon and Tues were both over goal...but I'm happy about them overall b/c I got back to tracking and they weren't that much over. Once I started feeling tired or worn down, I kept wanting to "self-medicate" with a cookie or something. But I resisted TWICE!! First I wanted to go buy a treat and forced myself to eat some squash curry (substituting squash for chocolate is not a particularly easy feat). Then I walked into the lobby and ALMOST grabbed a free cookie. Really proud to have gotten through, but it might have made me grouchier than usual.

• Like 11

Oct/Nov 2016

11 hours ago, Xena said:

Then I walked into the lobby and ALMOST grabbed a free cookie. Really proud to have gotten through, but it might have made me grouchier than usual.

Free cookies are the hardest ones to resist! It's a trap!

• Like 3

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24