88384bdb78e6a8335fcadc1b1719c906.jpg

The lions sing and the hills take flight. The moon by day, and the sun by night. Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool. Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

Aiyaa. I must hate myself. There's 47 different POV characters in this book, and the prologue is 30K words. But, lots of cool things happen here. Can't deny that.

Anyway, the month's work is cut out for me. NaNoWriMo is up in about a week, and I got a GoRuck to perform. We're coming down to the wire in terms of how prepared we're going to be for that (and by we, I mean me. I'm sure @RisenPhoenix has this in hand).

So, let's set the pieces on the board.

lord_of_chaos_by_mizutori-d3ihb2b.jpg

One more dance along the razor's edge finished. Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.

Rand is an appropriate training stand-in again. He winds up wanting to build a school for men who can Channel, which is a thing not seen for thousands of years since the men who can do magic in this setting wind up going wildly, destructively mad. Still, his rationale makes sense - if the world's going to end soon, nobody's gonna live long enough for that to happen, and he might as well face it with as many allies as he can make.

Fortunately, my circumstances are far less severe. But training is training, so training I shall do.

530b9a171419f63f3b81c21c0595b805.jpg

We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That’s Aviendha. Don’t look at her crosswise, or she’ll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake.

Two quotes for this guy? I didn't mean to, but the picture's too good and the cropped version of it is through the Wiki just doesn't play nicely with the code here.

But it's appropriate anyway. Mat is the Writing Goal for this challenge. Yes. This is because he is going to tell a big story that's going to be very important toward the end of everything. And he can't stop talking.

7a047c3794273fe89e9f9322d9e38afb.jpg

I cannot tell you the weather will be what it should tomorrow. I can tell you that Perrin and I will do what needs to be done, whatever can be done. And I don’t need to tell you that you will take what each day brings, whatever it is, and be ready to face the next. That is the kind of people the Two Rivers breeds. That is who you are.

So, I've been dillydallying about with my money, which I shouldn't have been on account of the fact that this money has purpose and reason. I need to fix that. I have the tools I need to set it all up so that everything comes out automatically, without me having to even think of it. I have my savings account set, and my car payment set. But I still need to arrange my student loans, which means I have a few different difficult phone calls to make, as well as getting my credit card set up to be paid for.

It feels like a difficult thing to do because it feels like what I'm doing is signing away a lot of money... but it's not that bad. And that's the point of it anyway. Student loans and credit card. Three lines I need to set up. One per week. That should do it. And while I'm at it, let's see if I can get some of the extra things coming out to not come out anymore.

wheel_of_time___nynaeve_al_meara_by_miss

What is too absurd to believe is believed because it is too absurd to be a lie.

Egwene Al'Vere is a young woman who once thought she would marry Rand. That didn't turn out to be true. There were much bigger things for her than that.

Anyway, she's the reading goal. Which feels small - she's a real badass, actually - but then I remember what I'm reading, and suddenly I can live with it.

0 Week to warm up and we'll go from there.

• Like 8

OOOOoooo are you doing the goruck in Boston?? I was going to come out for support before my transportation evaporated into a pale memory of yesterday's freedom :( Support then from afar! And, well, here! 

amAMNsJ.gif

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

OOOOoooo are you doing the goruck in Boston?? I was going to come out for support before my transportation evaporated into a pale memory of yesterday's freedom :( Support then from afar! And, well, here! 

amAMNsJ.gif

Yup! The one and the same. I came out a couple of years ago to do some stuff with the Nerds there and I've been trying to find my way back since. :)

We are always more afraid than we wish to be, but we can always be braver than we expect.

It's true enough. Not that I did anything with that today, but, hey.

Went out and trained with the new program I designed.

OHP: 5x60

3x75

5x101

8x91

10x82

DL: 3x135

6x181

8x163

10x147

Inverted Rows: 5x10,9,8,7,6

Leg Raise Hip Thrusts: 5x6,5,4,3,2

Way shorter, and balanced between brutality and recovery, hitting every major pattern of movement. RPT everywhere as long as I'm taking in the calories to make it work. Pretty.

Went and trained clients afterward, and then helped them move some furniture around. I was debating doing some extra stuff when I got home, but I said hello to my parents and they plied me with alcohol. So, there went that idea.

I beat XCOM and now I'm on the second one... and I like it a lot. Better, I think, than the first - it's a way faster, more aggressive style of play, and a lot of the features that were really irksome in the first game got streamlined or removed. It's a little harder for my laptop to play, which is annoying, but that's how it goes sometimes.

I gotta take this week to worldbuild for next month. Worldbuild and get a sense of the flow of the story. It'll be tricky, but I think I can make it work.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Kishi said:

Anyway, the month's work is cut out for me. NaNoWriMo is up in about a week, and I got a GoRuck to perform. We're coming down to the wire in terms of how prepared we're going to be for that (and by we, I mean me. I'm sure @RisenPhoenix has this in hand).

N2v2Tba.gif

Yea, I'm over here all like:

regret_this_decision_anchorman.gif

This is what I get for paying attention to Cheechoe.  At least @raptron will be there embracing the suck with us.  But hey!  We can spend Saturday in my apartment in puddling Nerd piles with the people who were too wimpy to actually do the ruck with us *cough*SevenFootGeek*cough* and make them do our bidding!

• Like 3

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

2 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

the people who were too wimpy to actually do the ruck

SIGH.

*laments what could have been a marvelous weekend of wimping out. Next time! :P 

• Like 2

Yay here here here!  <3  I feel so much better now.

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

Here for doing the thing around the job that makes it possible for you to aford to do the thing. 

• Like 2

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Uh, I still have to try out XCOM. Somehow the list of games I want to play never gets shorter. -.-

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:46 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Silently stalking another Kishi challenge where I have no idea what's going on. Except X-COM 2, which I'm jealous about since my system can't run it and I've been foaming at the mouth since it came out on February

Yeah, it's pretty great, but the opening is brutal. Not just because of everyone dying on you, but because any time your soldiers get hurt it's automatically a grievous wound, and it costs you anywhere from 4-40 days ingame for them to heal. So you can't really build one squad so much as you have to build the whole roster so as to be able to keep the combat roles filled. In battle, you have to think very tactically about what it is you're doing and you have to exhaust every single option making sure that you don't get hurt. It's not easy, especially if you're used to people getting dinged and healing in a few days. Not to mention that if they get hurt and live there's a chance their will stat plummets because they're shook up... which gives the game this whole element of pathos that I really don't need because I like these guys.

You gotta walk a fine line between being methodical and aggressive, particularly as you'll open the game in stealth more often than not, and you have to find ways to sneak around and line up ambushes... but you have to do it on a time limit too. This game offers a lot of challenge.

I like it a lot, though. Especially when I've 'clicked' and managed to think a step or two ahead of what's coming. Although I think the fact that I've made peace with my soldiers getting hurt has had a lot to do with that too. Because you can train soldiers off the battlefield to be replacements in the machine. ^_^;

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 5:58 AM, mightstone2k said:

DUMAI'S WELLS. Best. Asha'man. Moment. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YUS.

23 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

This is what I get for paying attention to Cheechoe.  At least @raptron will be there embracing the suck with us.  But hey!  We can spend Saturday in my apartment in puddling Nerd piles with the people who were too wimpy to actually do the ruck with us *cough*SevenFootGeek*cough* and make them do our bidding!

Yes! We will tell them that we did the Hard Thing, and that they need to respeck us. Not respect us, I mean, rebuild us from the ground up.

23 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

SIGH.

*laments what could have been a marvelous weekend of wimping out. Next time! :P 

Hey, FWIW it wasn't even a guarantee that I'd make it. The only reason I can, really, is because I have this awesome job now.

21 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Yay here here here!  <3  I feel so much better now.

YEAH, I got a Starpuck! Yes. Now this challenge can get started. :'D

17 hours ago, Urgan said:

Here for doing the thing around the job that makes it possible for you to aford to do the thing. 

Also known as I prove you right again somehow. Which I think is gonna be pretty great. :D

15 hours ago, The Shogun said:

Okay, so I need a Kishi challenges cliff notes. Where can I buy those?

WAT. You'd actually buy one of those?

9 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Uh, I still have to try out XCOM. Somehow the list of games I want to play never gets shorter. -.-

I know, same. I finally have a computer that can handle this stuff, though, and access to Steam. So, you know. I can start to dent the list a bit.

Rand: 1/1

Mat: 1/1

Perrin: 1/1

Egwene: 3%

Well, yesterday was a nice and easy start. Since I game Monday nights, I wasn't really going to get anything in terms of real training. I rucked around my building over lunch. Later I got the message that our DM was in the hospital for lung issues, so the game was off for the evening. It's worrisome when his problems flare up, but I'm only capable of so much pathos. I hate to say it, but I've done the man-thing of getting used to the terrible thing that sits in the background.

Interesting developments of last night include me helping a friend get a grown-up job of her own, and the decision that I'm going to go to Ren Faire on the fifth dressed in character from a DnD game. Never done that before. Don't think my cosplay game is strong enough for that, and I wish I was a little leaner, but them's the breaks I guess.

I also finally paid for the GoRuck, which means I now need to pay my way up there. Not sure whether I'll do the train or plane - I may have some ins somewhere, but I don't know quite yet.

Anyway, I spent the rest of the evening play XCOM. Managed to get the hang of things... by making peace with the fact that I can't save everyone. Had a soldier get shook up... but then he made it through the next mission without a scratch, and he got his swagger back. Which is good - he's a shock trooper, and I can't have him going into battles with psychic aliens with 0 willpower. That's just not going to work.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Kishi said:

I also finally paid for the GoRuck, which means I now need to pay my way up there. Not sure whether I'll do the train or plane - I may have some ins somewhere, but I don't know quite yet.

This late you might be better off on the train, but who knows.  Clearly let me know when you plan on getting in and I'll make sure I'm around to nab you from either Logan or South Station.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Your cosplay game will be fine.   Ren Faire is pretty forgiving, usually, and with your sense of gaming creativity, you'll put something fabulous together.   Ask for help from any of us nerds that dress up from time to time.   There are tons of fast, easy, cheap hints to be found!

• Like 2

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

20 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

This late you might be better off on the train, but who knows.  Clearly let me know when you plan on getting in and I'll make sure I'm around to nab you from either Logan or South Station.

Actually, it looks like I can fly up for cheaper and with shorter time in transit. Assuming I'm reading the site right.

17 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Your cosplay game will be fine.   Ren Faire is pretty forgiving, usually, and with your sense of gaming creativity, you'll put something fabulous together.   Ask for help from any of us nerds that dress up from time to time.   There are tons of fast, easy, cheap hints to be found!

Well, I got an old pair of gi pants that I'm thinking I could tear up or take a make-up pencil to or something, but I don't really have a top to go with it. Assuming I wasn't going to go full weeaboo on this, where would I go to find something? Or alternately, how would I make something?

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

#BudgetGoals. One day I'll upgrade mine and finally play XCOM2, Witcher 3 etc...

Yup. Me too, although probably more with Undertale and Setsuna's Story, and as much emulated gaming as I can fit in.

Rand: 2/2

Mat: 2/2

Egwene: 7%

Bwah, what a day yesterday. Was productive at both work and writing. Somehow. Went out to train afterward.

Warmed Up

Hang Cleans: 5x55

3x69

6x93

8x84

10x76

Close Chin Ups: 5x2,5,4,3,3

Elevated Single Bent Leg Calf Raises: 5x8/leg

Dips: 5x6,6,6,4,4

L-Sits: 5x5s

Notes:

• Wow. This was hard. I was right to put the power move first, but that definitely translated into strain further down the line.
  • Close chins look weird because I tried to do some assisted one-arms first. I didn't need to do those. This will be corrected next time.
  • I've gotten way more focused on form for myself, and I didn't allow myself to cheat any reps. This showed on the dips. On the plus side, they have a station where I can go to full depth with my legs extended, which is just cool. On the minus side, it drove my reps back down. Frustrating, but I'll survive it.

Ate all the calories last night and woke up hungry today, so I must be doing something right. :D

Also, I'm looking at the money situation, and the longer I look the worse it gets. Oh, I'll make the Ruck all right. But once I get all my debts drawing from the paycheck... I'm not sure if I'll actually be taking home as much as I was back when I drove for Uber/Lyft. There's a part of me that says I need to do that, but I'm just not sure, you know? Especially since the folks have asked for me to start paying toward utilities for the house, so I might just be worse off.

Not fun. But that's why I made a goal of it for this challenge.

• Like 3

Hmm.   Well, what character/thing are you going as?    I can see if any clever ideas come to mind.

That aren't puns.

Also, I like that expression @Urgan - gonna have to use that myself I think!

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

What's the expression? When you're going through financial hell, just keep going?

"Handling your finances is just like riding a bike. Only your money's on fire, and your bike is on fire, and you're on fire, and you're in hell." :D

41 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Hmm.   Well, what character/thing are you going as?    I can see if any clever ideas come to mind.

That aren't puns. 

Mostly human monk with a smidge of orc in his ancestry.

• Like 2

Oh that should be a doable sort of thing!    If you're planning on missing a tooth or two-   Reeses Peanut Butter Cup, inner wrapper, torn into correctly tooth-sized piece, licked lightly and stuck to your teeth!    Pretty cheap and absolutely tasty to pull off!   A stash of pumpkin seeds can be used for fake snaggle teeth too!

67420_1619034846125_5182781_n.jpg?oh=b6a

If you wanted to do any sort of leather bracer/binding wrap type things anywhere, lots of craft stores offer pretty cheap bags of leather scrap, or small pieces that can be wound together to give a nice rag tag look of things.  

• Like 3

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Than XCOM sounds a little to tactical for me. I'm not good at getting a hang of these.

• Like 1

STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

17 hours ago, Kishi said:

Mostly human monk with a smidge of orc in his ancestry.

Sounds like Los Tiburon to me

4 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Than XCOM sounds a little to tactical for me. I'm not good at getting a hang of these.

XCOM is one of the grandaddies of squad-based tactical games and certainly one of the most hard, punishing ones at that like, ever. Some players like that though, evident in the success of modern titles like Dark Souls.

• Like 1

Lvl 58 Multitasker

What I heard of Dark Souls didn't really motivate me to play it. Sounds a bit masochist.

I like Sandbox titels/survival games (Don't Starve, minecraft, Starbound), logical riddles like Portal and RPGs like the Witcher. Open world like in Fallout or Skyrim is also fine by me, but somehow I always lose track of the Storyline. I haven't killed a single dragon in skyrim although I played more then 100 hours, because I totally ignored the main plot and went steight for the bards guild and other side quests.

• Like 1

Spoiler

19 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Oh that should be a doable sort of thing!    If you're planning on missing a tooth or two-   Reeses Peanut Butter Cup, inner wrapper, torn into correctly tooth-sized piece, licked lightly and stuck to your teeth!    Pretty cheap and absolutely tasty to pull off!   A stash of pumpkin seeds can be used for fake snaggle teeth too!

67420_1619034846125_5182781_n.jpg?oh=b6a

If you wanted to do any sort of leather bracer/binding wrap type things anywhere, lots of craft stores offer pretty cheap bags of leather scrap, or small pieces that can be wound together to give a nice rag tag look of things.  

Oh, I've got teeth figured out, but I hadn't thought about doing bracers or anything like that. That's pretty exciting to consider!

I'm figuring I'll go ahead and shred up the old gi since a sleeve's trying to come off anyway, which ought to go with the look. What else would you suggest as far as that goes?

4 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

XCOM is one of the grandaddies of squad-based tactical games and certainly one of the most hard, punishing ones at that like, ever. Some players like that though, evident in the success of modern titles like Dark Souls.

Oh, it's gotten worse. They brought back the Terror Missions... and they gave the victims names. And they say things when they're executed. I was so angry at the end of it.

8 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

It's like DarK_RaideR said: it's not exactly easy. Even Easy mode isn't all that easy. But there's something to be said for the difficulty - for that palpable sense that you've survived something genuinely difficult. It's not something you get in a lot of games, and while I can see how that locks the game into a certain niche... well, I'm in that niche. :)

Rand: 3/3

Mat: 3/3

Egwene: 11%

Yesterday was fun. Rucked around the building, and hit the gym for S&S. S&S at the gym is generally a practice session, since they don't carry bells heavy enough for me. Which is fine! I do what I can. Last week, I found a pair of 53s, so I did 100 swings with those. But this week, no such luck. So I did Shadow Swings instead. I also did Bottoms Up TGUs with a 12, something that earned me a lot of weird looks. Which I was okay with, because it builds the grip, which helps with Judo.

I've also taken to doing FTPUs again in little sets as I cool down. I don't really spend a lot of time on warming them up anymore, because it's a lengthy thing, and I don't think it's necessary. Hands are plenty warm from swinging.

Dojo was interesting. Sensei and I got in a argument on FB regarding some political stuff - me saying that we need to cross party lines and understand one another, and him saying no and trying to dress it up intellectually. It was weird to have a disagreement with him. I'm not a terribly confrontational person IRL - I have a very weak presence and don't argue with much force - and as he is my teacher I know I'm supposed to kowtow and stay out of his way. But this time, I just couldn't let it fly. I was confident and I knew I could out-argue him, and I did. Which might have made things awkward, him being over me.

Things started off kind of cold. But we've been together for years, and he's known that I don't always agree with him. And we do enjoy our righteous beatdowns. I took a beating last night - the Judo was not with me, and though I pulled the Karate evasion we were working on, I didn't capitalize on it proper - but we ended on a high note and left each other laughing. I think that's a high note.

Think I'm going to run assessment on myself this Saturday, since I'm going to be busy next Saturday. Should be interesting to see what happens there.

• Like 3