Emerging from the cave, I have returned

NucleotidalWave

After a depressing summer under a menacing overlord, I have returned for my own good. This time, with a vengeance.

I am battling with depression and anxiety, which may have been a huge factor in my failures this past summer. It's a hurdle I have to jump through everyday. Good days come with the bad days, so I am going to need some emotional support. I have a wonderful SO to rant to and is a great listener, but he doesn't always know what to say to help. And of course I don't blame him. I don't always know how to cheer up those that I love and care about either.

Most importantly, I look forward to supporting all of you as well. Nothing is better for the ego than rooting on your friends!

Goal One: Fitness

I need to balance fitness with studying and time with family. Fitness classes have been giving me a pre-scheduled time that I am forced to stick with. Moving fitness time around always leads me to stop holding myself accountable. It is just how things work for me.

*Tuesdays: Total Body/Cardio class at 12:10pm

*Thursdays: Yoga 12:10pm

Total points = 20 XP

-3 pts for Total Body

-2 pts for Yoga

Goal Two: More fitness = swimming

Swimming lets me think. It's easy on my back while gaining endurance at the same time. I find peace and can almost meditate in the pool.

*So on Wednesdays after my morning meetings I will do laps. My 200m goal is under 4 minutes.

Total pts = 20 XP

-5 pts every time I go

Goal Three: I can make this Master's degree go by easy...

I still should have plenty of time to study, at least for the rest of the year.

*Dedicate at least 2 hours of studying on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. 1 hour of study on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 2 more hours on the Weekend

I am also a TA on Thursdays to cover my tuition so I need to give myself time to prepare for lectures and grading quizzes/assignments. I usually do this on Wednesdays so that will be technically some of my study time.

Total pts = 20 XP

-1 pt/ 2 hrs

Goal Four: Write two term papers

They are both on similar topics but writing one and using it for both is cheating and I am no cheater.

*On top of studying I need to spend a total of 10 hours per week writing both papers. More as the deadlines come closer. This time may overlap with studying when possible.

Term paper #1 is due earlier than #2. I also need to give a presentation with it in December.

Total pts = 20 XP

10 pts for each term paper

So this routine will be my goal for the next 4 weeks.

Monday:

-Study 10am-12pm

-Term paper#1 1pm-2:30pm

-Term paper#2 2:30pm-4pm

-Evening class

Tuesday:

-Morning class

-Cardio or Pilates 12:10pm - 1pm

-Study 2pm - 3pm

-Term paper#1 3pm-4pm

-Dinner

-Term paper#2 6pm-7pm

Wednesday:

-Meeting 9am-10am

-Swim laps 10am-11am

-Dry out and lunch 11am-1pm

-Study 1pm-3pm

-Term paper#1 3pm-4pm

-Term paper#2 4pm-5:00pm

Thursday

-Morning class

-Yoga 12:10pm-1pm

-Study 1pm-2pm

-Teaching Assistant 3pm-6pm

Friday - Sunday (weekend)

-Term paper #1 = 2 hours

-Term paper #2 = 2 hours

-Study = 3 hours

-Grade quizzes/tests/reports

I hope that I will be able to find the time to come back here frequently to update. This will be a big step in the right direction.

• Like 2

Adventurous Druid Warrior

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf

Current Challenge: Tough Mudder Training - Daily Log

Accountabilibuddies: Obstacle Racers, Assemble!

ACS Fundraising page for TM Half

I'll be following your challenge.

I'm battling with anxiety and depression too and I know how that feels. I had the same problem with my SO, she's incredibly supporting but sometimes my anxiety was just too much and didn't know how to act to cheer me up and that made me both sad and mad with her without a reason. Since I started here, in my September challenge, I'm feeling much much better. I hope I can support you during your challenge, it looks pretty solid to me. A nice schedule full of activities but with some time to rest is really necessary for people that are in a situation like us.

By the way, your profile pic is ace! :)

Level 2 Human Rebel | 151 XP

My current challenge

Old challenges: 1

My Epic Quest

5 hours ago, Lady Godgifu said:

I'll be following your challenge.

I'm battling with anxiety and depression too and I know how that feels. I had the same problem with my SO, she's incredibly supporting but sometimes my anxiety was just too much and didn't know how to act to cheer me up and that made me both sad and mad with her without a reason. Since I started here, in my September challenge, I'm feeling much much better. I hope I can support you during your challenge, it looks pretty solid to me. A nice schedule full of activities but with some time to rest is really necessary for people that are in a situation like us.

By the way, your profile pic is ace! :)

Thank you, gorgeous! I know I am not alone on this, which is why I am here. I will find yours too!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf

Heyo, checking in on you, great goals! I was doing Zumba classes two or three times a week, but they were in the evening and I Really need to do my workouts in the morning or they'll never get done, which is why I've switched to bodyweight training. I have bipolar depressive disorder, but I'm finally on meds that more or less regulate my moods -- sometimes I still have times when I burst into tears because Wawa ran out of croissants (true story, yo) but I'm finally coming out of the dark. (And going back into the literal dark, with winter looming ahead!) I mention this to say, there is another side, you will eventually find it, but the way might be long and full of dragons. I believe in you.

As I mentioned in my thread, I really think you should look into the pomodoro method. That is 25 minutes on, 5 minutes off, for your studying. Your brain needs a small amount of recuperation time, and it will make you feel less slammed, and when you have other thoughts and concerns trying to creep in, you can firmly say to yourself, I have 5 minutes to address that at the end of this time period, so I'm going to stick with this for now. I prefer 15 minutes, personally, as a leftover from my FlyLady days, where the motto is "I can do anything for 15 minutes!" but since you're used to powering through longer, I'm going to guess that 25 minutes wouldn't be overwhelming for you. Good luck! I will be checking in on you!

Avril O.
We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" - Matt Smith as the Doctor

"Space is big. Really big." - Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Avril's Respawn

Avril's Epic Quest

37 minutes ago, avril.obscene said:

As I mentioned in my thread, I really think you should look into the pomodoro method. That is 25 minutes on, 5 minutes off, for your studying. Your brain needs a small amount of recuperation time, and it will make you feel less slammed, and when you have other thoughts and concerns trying to creep in, you can firmly say to yourself, I have 5 minutes to address that at the end of this time period, so I'm going to stick with this for now. I prefer 15 minutes, personally, as a leftover from my FlyLady days, where the motto is "I can do anything for 15 minutes!" but since you're used to powering through longer, I'm going to guess that 25 minutes wouldn't be overwhelming for you. Good luck! I will be checking in on you!

Not a Zumba kind of person. Not into much that involves choreography and or a rhythm. The class times force me to get myself into the workouts at a particular time. Knowing that I can't make it up until the next week is enough to get me there when I need to.

I usually do this during my study/writing sessions. But sometimes I get so into it, I don't really stop until it is almost done. To write my term papers, I have to look up articles and grasp the jist of the research then find the next similar article until I have a chain of articles to work with. Stopping in the middle of doing this frequently throws me off. But when I finally get to writing I can stop for a moment to bring my head back to reality.

Thank you for your support!

ALL THE STUDYING!!! Your comeback shall be of EPIC proportions!!! Here for all the goodness of course. 

If you haven't seen it yet, this is a great thread I try to participate in when things get rough, something I think many of us nerds have in common ;) It's great to have a loving support group!

• Like 1

Day 1 Update

I studied for over 2 hours, 1 pt XP

Worked on my term papers for the remaining 3 hours then took an exam in my evening class.

Came home, watched new WestWorld episode and drank a glass of Witches Brew with seasoned pumpkin seeds as a snack.

Image result for Witches Brew wine

Overall, it was a good day. If you have not tried this wine before, you absolutely need to. It is sooooo delicious and an essential item on my autumn happiness list.

Tomorrow, after class, I will be having lunch with my SO because he is signing the closing papers on his new house! So I will miss my cardio class, good reason though I think.

• Like 2

I'll have to look and see if that wine is available in my part of the country. What's the name of the vineyard? I can't read it easily. I love red wines with spices though.

Also, hooray for studying!

• Like 1

Avril O.
We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" - Matt Smith as the Doctor

"Space is big. Really big." - Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Avril's Respawn

Avril's Epic Quest

4 hours ago, avril.obscene said:

I'll have to look and see if that wine is available in my part of the country. What's the name of the vineyard? I can't read it easily. I love red wines with spices though.

Also, hooray for studying!

Leelanau Cellars from Michigan

A quick google search will be helpful. I hope you have a way to access a bottle, they have orange labels this year, not the green ones.

Day 2 (Tuesday) and 3 (Wednesday) Recap

Tuesday I did none of what is planned. I had the class in the morning then took my man out for lunch to celebrate his new house closing. Then my stepmom wanted my help with housework the rest of the day. So I missed all of that study time.

Fortunately I spent most of Wednesday making up for it. I don't have a swim suit or goggles yet so I spent that time making up for lost study and writing time. I also had to grade reports and quizzes for my class that I am TA for.

Today I have a meeting with one of my students at 1pm and then teach from 3-6. After that I already made plans to go walk down a street in Romeo, MI that is notorious for having the most extravagant Halloween decorations with my SO's family.

No fitness at all this week. I am just starting up again and the challenge doesn't technically start until Saturday right? Right. I plan to go to the store to get swimming necessities on Friday. Hopefully I can get a good deal.

• Like 1

Day 2 of Oct 30 - Nov 26 (Meant to post this yesterday)

Today I went to my Cardio class and it was awesome. I hate-loved it and I felt great after all of the challenging endurance building exercises. It also has better music and more variety than the PiYo class.

Tomorrow I need to really buckle down on my term papers, I also don't have the proper swim gear yet. I want to go through all of my stuff in my parents basement to find my old cap and goggles but it is starting to look like I will need to buy new ones. :(

So I am going to focus on my term papers and studying after my morning meeting until my evening class.

My mom is in town from AZ so I will be spending my off-time with her.

Teaching last week sucked, it took the full 3 hours and I even had to have a few students stay later. I was so tired, but I still went for a hike through neighborhoods that evening to enjoy their Halloween decorations. That second wind can really get you places.

21 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

How was the rest of the week? Did you manage to get your swimming stuffs by Friday?

Nope, but hopefully some time this week I will fork up the courage to spend the money on it.

Edit: By the way, my Lymph Nodes are swollen. I need to get that flu shot asap!

2 hours ago, Laghail said:

Dislike! Sorry you're fighting a bug or something.

I hope this is my only symptom. Or I just jinxed it.

Update November 2 - 14.

Oops! 2 weeks with no updates! Well that would be because of how busy I am.

I swam laps last week and my 100m freestyle is less than 2 minutes. So I have established my first goal time to be 1 min 30 seconds. (+5pts)

Cardio/Core Fusion is my new favorite fitness class. The exercise changes every week and plays good music. (+3pts)

I am doing well in my classes. Both GPA's are at least a 3.5 (+5 pts)

The first term paper is due in 2 weeks. I have not technically started it but it should not be too hard to implement. I have found a knack in scientific writing. I am using Mendeley to organize the scholarly articles I use. If you have not heard of this and write research papers for school or for a living, YOU MUST TRY THIS. It has been such a great companion to my academic endeavors. The highlighting feature is a little glitchy depending on the format of the article and the web browser you use though.

Best news:
1. SO moved into his new house! I am so proud!
2. I have established a new mentor for my M.S. degree. I will be doing kidney cancer research for my thesis! So excited! The best part is that my new PI is collaborating with my former employer (who I loved working for until I got laid off). I am so excited for the challenges ahead! :excitement:

Thank you guys for understanding my lack of involvement here. 

On 11/12/2016 at 5:26 PM, IAmInfinite said:

How's your health? Have your nodes gone back down to normal size? 

They are, and I got that shot. I feel relieved. 

3 minutes ago, NucleotidalWave said:

1. SO moved into his new house! I am so proud!
2. I have established a new mentor for my M.S. degree. I will be doing kidney cancer research for my thesis! So excited! The best part is that my new PI is collaborating with my former employer (who I loved working for until I got laid off). I am so excited for the challenges ahead! :excitement:

Yay for new homes! And congrats on your thesis, it sounds very technical but really interesting! :D

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

Updatin'

Did Cardio again on Tuesday (+3 pts). There was a sub instructor and he seemed lost most of the time. But I still got a decent workout.

Did not swim yesterday. I had a lot of grading to catch up on and the class I am teaching today is going to be brutal. Fortunately they are doing instructor evaluations BEFORE I teach. So I can fuck up more freely now.

Today I am focused on working on a term paper due in less than 2 weeks. I have to turn it into a short presentation as well. Hooray for anxiety! >:(

Tonight my SO is making me dinner in his new place. Looking forward to relaxing without judgement.

Tomorrow I will be cleaning my parents house so that they can have my little brothers friends over for his 14th birthday, which was last week.

Saturday we have a "Celebration of Life" to go to. Not looking forward to it, mainly because he died of brain cancer and was only 10 years older than me. It is scary...BUT only more motivation for continuing my career in cancer research.