Phoenix Burning Gets a Bit Fit

Everstorm

Technically, my birthday is on Wednesday, but in the interest of convenience, I celebrated it with my loved ones this past Sunday.  It is a reflection on my personality that it was a costume party (I was an elf) and my gifts were a Fitbit and a set of sparring gear. 

*Side note: I am so happy to get my own set of gear.  I have been using the dojang's very, very used gear for sparring, and I hated it.

Anyway, my Fitbit (and accompanying app) has a wide range of features that I will be using this challenge to get a bit more fit.  Without further ado, the goals (with accompanying theme music):

1. All the Right Moves

One of my favorite features of the Fitbit is the hourly reminder to get up and move around.  I want to get in my steps, but also try to work in some crawls, pushups, pulls, and other movements each hour from 9am to 6pm, even if it is only a couple minutes.  Hopefully having the reminder on my wrist will keep this from falling through the cracks like last challenge.

2.  One Step Closer

I want to take this challenge to focus on training the three Self-Defense One Steps I need to know for my belt test on December 16.  Two are easy to practice at home, but for the third, I will have to summon my 20 seconds of courage and ask another student to help me practice either before or after class at least 3 times during the challenge.

3.  Habits

I'm feeling a little burned after last challenge's major diet fail.  Especially with the holidays coming up, I'm not sure that a "no sugar" type challenge is wise.  Instead, I am going to track calories with the Fitbit app, with a goal of staying within 50 calories of my daily intake goal (number varies according to activity).  Hopefully with the gadget tracking my movements, I will get a more realistic assessment of how many calories that should be, and I'll avoid the blowback from being too low.  I am also hopeful that the reminders to keep moving (goal #1) will save me from boredom eating.

Here we go!

• Like 9

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Nice, welcome back!

And yeah, holidays begin now. Given that we're going to be machine-gunned with sugar, I don't think it's a bullet we can dodge. Watching overall intake is probably the wiser move; also, make sure to avoid sugary foods in your own life when you can so as to mitigate the impact.

And, yeah. Let's suss out the details this week and get ready for next week!

• Like 2

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! (On Wednesday ;)) I've been thinking about getting a heart rate monitor, will be very interested in hearing your experience with it!! 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Terra said:

Wahoo - First to follow!!!

Image result for first place prize

19 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Nice, welcome back!

And yeah, holidays begin now. Given that we're going to be machine-gunned with sugar, I don't think it's a bullet we can dodge. Watching overall intake is probably the wiser move; also, make sure to avoid sugary foods in your own life when you can so as to mitigate the impact.

And, yeah. Let's suss out the details this week and get ready for next week!

And the holidays are more intensive in my family than most, since there are 5 more birthdays between now and Christmas (not counting my birthday this week, my brother's last week, and my niece's the week before).  So, yeah, desserts are inevitable at this point.  I do want to cut back where I can, but I'm not ready to put a number on it.  Overall intake is definitely the way to go for now.

9 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! (On Wednesday ;)) I've been thinking about getting a heart rate monitor, will be very interested in hearing your experience with it!! 

Thank you!  Funny thing, I was just reading your thread, and when I finished saw you had been reading mine.  Small world.  The Fitbit is new and exciting now; I'll let you know if it is still effective after the novelty has worn off.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Nice challenge.  And good call to loosen up the diet for the holidays.  (Someone, perhaps Urgan or BlackTezca, once said that focusing on getting their protein macro right went a long way to controlling the sugar intake, so if you were going to go for any sort of healthy macro composition, that's the one I'd suggest.  Don't stress the sugar.  It's a bad time of year to fight sugar.)

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

Nice challenge.  And good call to loosen up the diet for the holidays.  (Someone, perhaps Urgan or BlackTezca, once said that focusing on getting their protein macro right went a long way to controlling the sugar intake, so if you were going to go for any sort of healthy macro composition, that's the one I'd suggest.  Don't stress the sugar.  It's a bad time of year to fight sugar.)

It definitely feels right.  The protein thing is a good reminder.  I'll try to keep it in mind.

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

That is a great suggestion!!!  

• Like 1

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Motivation

With the Fitbit, it's kinda going to give your the same information that I get with my Gear watch, and S-health app.  Basically you have a pedometer and heart rate monitor on your wrist to gauge your activity level.  You can connect it to Google fit (like I use S-health) to relay information to and from other apps.

At a minimum it will give you a better idea of how many calories you burn on a given day, and then you can judge from there how you need to adjust.  (ie I need slightly more carbs in the mix due to hypoglycemia and constant walking to Mordor).  Best of luck. 

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

15 minutes ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

With the Fitbit, it's kinda going to give your the same information that I get with my Gear watch, and S-health app.  Basically you have a pedometer and heart rate monitor on your wrist to gauge your activity level.  You can connect it to Google fit (like I use S-health) to relay information to and from other apps.

At a minimum it will give you a better idea of how many calories you burn on a given day, and then you can judge from there how you need to adjust.  (ie I need slightly more carbs in the mix due to hypoglycemia and constant walking to Mordor).  Best of luck. 

My version does not have the heart rate monitor (by choice) and it comes with an app for tracking calories, water, activity, and sleep.  Not sure about macros, though, so I may go back to MFP in the end.  It auto-updates to my phone, so that's nice.  I plan to take zero week to get a good picture of things, then adjust from there as needed.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

I get all that with S-health and my Gear S2.

S-Health does track macros (carbs, protein, & fat) I just generally don't. If I'm not mistaken I think Fitbit can sync to MFP but I'm not sure. Anyway, the wearable does make tracking a whole lot easier.

Sent from the dragon's lair

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

Following along again.

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

AHA found you~ <3

Yeah I'm gently dreading the holidays and foodstuffs therein... I'm going to try and take a tactical approach to each upcoming event - which for me isn't really a ton - and really ramp up my workouts/cleaner everyday eating around certain dates so I can afford to splurge a little extra macro-wise and enjoy the season.

Maybe easier said than done?  I guess we'll see??

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW!!!!!! ^____________^

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Following!

• Like 1

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 5:22 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

Following along again.

Image result for minion hello gif

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:22 AM, shaar said:

AHA found you~ <3

Yeah I'm gently dreading the holidays and foodstuffs therein... I'm going to try and take a tactical approach to each upcoming event - which for me isn't really a ton - and really ramp up my workouts/cleaner everyday eating around certain dates so I can afford to splurge a little extra macro-wise and enjoy the season.

Maybe easier said than done?  I guess we'll see??

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW!!!!!! ^____________^

Thanks!  I am having a super awesome birthday.  I was tempted to have something indulgent for breakfast like pancakes (or even cake!) because birthday, but I realized I would rather affirm the healthier person I am trying to re-birth.  So, I had a breakfast burrito (you would be proud) and walked with my son to the park.  Can you believe this gorgeous weather? I couldn't ask for a nicer day, honestly.

15 hours ago, honeybadger said:

Following!

Helloooo!  Is your new challenge up?  I don't remember seeing it.  *Goes to look for a honeybadger challenge*

• Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Happy birthday Spartan Phoenix!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Happy birthday ;)

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

@Draegon (Liam P Boyle), @Charlie_Quinn, @Toshimi, @Kishi, @~RedStone~, @Luciana Valerosa Culming, and @Terra, thank you all for the birthday wishes.  I had a really good one.  And I ended up getting even more fitness stuffs on my actual birthday, so yay!

Thoughts on zero week with a Fitbit:

I am much more sedentary than I ever imagined.  Even with my step goal set at a moderate 8000 steps, I am often seen pacing my living room in the evening like some kind of caged animal because I am a few thousand steps short of my goal at the end of the day. 

Image result for pacing animal gif

This is partly because the Fitbit is not accurately counting things like TKD (when I can't wear it) or grocery shopping (because my hand is resting on the shopping cart...c'mon, I walked at least an hour in there!)  Still, I need to move more than I do and spread the wealth a bit throughout the day.

I need to drink more water.  I only met my water goals for two days, but doing it made me drop a pound (promptly regained when I barely drank half the water I should for the following 5 days).

Movement Multivitamins go better with a spoonful of sugar (figuratively).  I was really not doing very well on these again, even though I really like the idea of it, and I wasn't sure why.  Now I know:  they aren't that fun.  Last night, when I was pacing again, I decided to add a little variety into my walk just to keep my sanity.  I started by placing a board across two pieces of furniture so I would have to step over it.  Later, I realized I could also crawl under it.  Then, I decided to climb over the furniture to go around it.  I started adding more obstacles to my course, including a barrier to step under, a rope to "climb", and a balance board.  I practiced a variety of transitions down to the floor to crawl and getting back up.  I tried a shoulder/back crawl and realized it was easier to maneuver that way in the narrow space around a corner.  It was more fun than I should probably admit, and I tried lots more movements than I normally would have for a "multivitamin" session previously.  I can definitely see something like this being incorporated more regularly.

I don't enjoy  tracking calories (no big surprise there), but I have been forcing myself to do it, especially on the days when I don't want to, usually because I know it will be something bad.  The Fitbit app has been helpful with the bar graph that shows which days I make my goal and which days I go over.  I used to get so frustrated because "I only ate poorly twice!", but didn't lose weight.  Now, I can see how those overeating days cancel good eating days, and other days I ate under, but not enough, so no, it is not surprising that the net loss is nil.  Hopefully I will actually apply this insight, and not throw it on the underpants pile.

• Like 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness