RisenPhoenix Climbs Aincrad

RisenPhoenix

aincrad_1280_x_1024_by_domoon-d5pzsci.pn

One Hundred Floors.  Each one more challenging than the last.  It's like our Challenges here, each one incrementally getting more difficult, more straining than the last.  But we will conquer them all in the end with persistence and skill.

606221f009619a68bd37fbd6f92594c9.gif

1) Kirito - Strong, persistent, and sometimes stupidly stubborn.  He keeps moving forward.

I need to log a great deal of hours in training before December for my exam.  I also want to get stronger.  So right now, Kirito is going to represent going to aikido 6 days a week, Stairs, and two lifting workouts.  The only way to get better is keep pushing forward, and at the moment this is the way I will push.

tumblr_n2g8kk0Oiz1snu3wyo1_500.gif

2) Asuna - Calm, focused, multitalented, and a damn good chef.

Asuna is as much of a figher as Kirito, but rather than always spend time fighting she has also maxed out her cooking skill.  She's going to represent a more solid focus on my food intake.  I have done well with my Mostly Primal, but I think I am going to buckle down and go more-or-less full tilt on it this coming challenge.  No more than 5 non-Primal treats a week.  The except to this will be oatmeal , which I'm still counting as a treat, but only half of one.  It's a comfort food for me, as well as actually good for you, and,. a good source of carbs for heavy training days.  It's silly to completely remove.  In addition, I want to craft a new meal each week.  And I'm not talking about changing the spices, I mean a whole new meal.  Something besides my typical starch/steamed veggie/meat combo.  Something that will in fact take a little while to make, but should be delicious and yummy for that effort alone.

tumblr_nfmlcoBsWa1u02ph8o5_500.gif

3) Yui - Mental Programming Unit for Players Benefit.

When introduced, it's assumed that Yui is a small child in the game who lost her parents.  It's later revealed that she is in fact an AI, tasked with trying to help the players' mental states when needed.  The holidays means a lot more social interaction, which means I will need my alone time, as well as be mentally prepared for being asked how the job hunt and unemployment is going.  So I need to spend time being okay with answering those questions.

This self-care goal is multifaceted.  Try to get into bed by 10:30PM, read for a bit, and lights off around 11PM.  Wake up at 8AM (except on Stairs Days), and start doing functional things by 9AM (ie - don't sit and sip coffee until 10 or 11AM, and then try to rush and do everything).  Work on wood carving (blade sharpening, pattern thoughts, actual freaking carving) because I need some physical, hands on craft hobby at least one hour a week.

And so, I have a lot of things to work on, in a very busy month:

November 11th - Nerd gathering and my 30th Birthday GORUCK

Novermber 19th - ACTUAL birthday and probably gathering with folks

November 24th - Thanksgiving

Hopefully somewhere in there will be a job start date.  But I won't hold my breath.

Short version of the challenge:

1) Aikido 6 days a week, lifting twice, Stairs once.

2) Primal eating, no more than 5 non-primal treats per week, one new meal a week.

3) Self care, self care, self care.

Time to log on, Nerds.

tumblr_naunbfjapC1tekni4o1_500.gif

• Like 9

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

You know, I actually really thought the first season was great. But I didn't like the way they nerf'd Asuna in the later seasons, and they jump the shark a lot later on.

Still, the challenge itself is solid. Sounds like you're working your way toward Primal-ish, which seems to be how everyone's finding themselves these days. Also really digging the emphasis on self-care.

Cool! Let's take this zeroth week and rock out!

So many Autumn birthday! :D Along for the ride :) 

OfyDwdO.gif

24 minutes ago, Kishi said:

You know, I actually really thought the first season was great. But I didn't like the way they nerf'd Asuna in the later seasons, and they jump the shark a lot later on.

Still, the challenge itself is solid. Sounds like you're working your way toward Primal-ish, which seems to be how everyone's finding themselves these days. Also really digging the emphasis on self-care.

Cool! Let's take this zeroth week and rock out!

Oh yea, that second season pissed me off so much with Asuna.  Though at least while stuck in ALO they didn't make her TOTALLY damsel in distress.  She did some good, helpful things, but yea - not as good a showing as when she was in SAO.  I'm starting to watch SAO II, so I'm curious to see how they deal with that whole thing now.

I've been Primal-ish for a while, but it's really more to buckle down on things because now I'm not counting calories like I have been for the past four years.  Camp made me realize how fucked my view on food was, because even though I knew my MFP data was off (no way to account for most of my training method's calorie burn), seeing red numbers made me lock down my food.  Which.... at the level I'm training at is not wise.  Eating with errors this last month and seeing my body remain mostly stable (hovering somewhere around 17% bodyfat) made me realize I can probably maintain pretty easily, and with a little tweaking I might be able to get some better performance and potentially leaner, without the numbers game.  I can underpant gnome by min/maxing numbers.  So trying to avoid that is a good thing.  But the big take away from last challenge with regards to food is how I have stopped freaking out about when food choices are out of my hands and becoming flexible enough that I can cobble together things to make meals less-bad.  And then bounce back accordingly. The last 24 hours at my parents' place was terrible for food choices, but today I've kind of naturally done a light IF thing.  Not real, but I'm letting my body dictate when I should eat for the most part, and I'm getting better at realizing hunger vs thirst more than I ever realized.  And most of all, today I don't feel like I'm depriving myself BECAUSE of the weekend.  I'm not punishing myself by not eating, I'm just not eating because I'm not hungry - because my body has plenty of energy from over eating this weekend.  And that's a HUGE breakthrough for me.  Probably a lot of this is tied in with my selfcare emphasis, too.  But so far, so good.

Also, @maigrey stole my scale to prove that point.  I think she'll approve.

This zeroth week I'm going to maybe splurge a little bit, since last week was hellish.  But I do plan on at least one lifting session, one Stair session, and at least 5 days of aikido.  I need to go grocery shopping at some point, too, so hopefully I can get that sorted soon enough.  Need more veggies.  Lots more.

39 minutes ago, Phoenix Burning said:

December belt testing buddies!

34 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

So many Autumn birthday! :D Along for the ride :) 

Glad to have you both along! :D 

• Like 4

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Hiyaaaa. We're almost there! 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

22 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following again!

Glad you're around, Tank!

22 hours ago, raptron said:

Hiyaaaa. We're almost there! 

tenor.gif

17 hours ago, The Shogun said:

Naaaaah, again... I don't feel like posting in your challenge. Overkill. 

We barely expect you to post in your thread, so this is now shocking.

13 hours ago, Big_Show said:

I am here now.  You can relax.

Dammit, BS!  Your nickname is now a humorous shortening!

3 hours ago, maigrey said:

A+, I approve. :)

Figured you would. ;)  Lets see if I can keep this on a role though, eh?

So yesterday was an interesting food day for me.  I wasn't hungry in the morning, and then was whammied by hunger in the afternoon.  So I ended up eating some lean sausage links my parents sent me home with, some eggs, and then a whoooooole bunch of turkey meat balls that I bought as emergency food/protein a while back.  I think I ate like, a dozen meat balls, at 140 calories a serving.  Which means I downed 600 calories in meat balls.  I honestly didn't mind, beyond suddenly going "I ate like half this bag."  Whoops.  Did a tiny ruck to the Japanese mart down the road from me to buy some tea and miso and other odds and ends, short enough that it wasn't worth logging.  But I did add in my last two bricks to my bag and felt comfortable with it, so I'm taking that as a win.

Played around with some knife sharpening/wood carving for a few hours, and then went to the dojo.  Where I suddenly realized I was faint from... something?  Probably lower energy than I expected.  So I did the only reasonable thing: devoured a chocolate covered brownie that was left over from the seminar.  I'm only half joking - yea it was a treat, but the sugar and carbs in that thing totally jumpstarted my ability to move.  Which was good, because I had a surprisingly intense class for only 4 people being present for class.  I ended up working with a fifth dan who frequents our dojo, so the instructor more-or-less left me to his hands (mind you, she's a 6th dan, so she could have jumped in whenever she wanted to, but she focused most of her energy on the other pair which was a bit more junior than me).  So lots of making sure I had to get things done right or I'd get whalloped by him.  And when he's throwing he has a tendency to.... not do the technique shown all the time.  So you have to have ukemi that's on point.  So that brownie?  Really good thing.

Went home, had dinner (more meatballs, zoodles, tomato sauce, sweet potato side), and relaxed a bit more.  Got into bed by 10:30 to read and was out around 11:30 I'd say?  The plan was to wake up at 8AM, get to the gym, and then start job hunting.  My body decided it wanted to stay warm and snuggly in bed, and therefore I didn't move until 9.  Whoops.  Ended up having coffee and job hunt/application time first, then once I applied for the only job that seemed to have potential today, I forced myself to the gym.  Which was a good thing, because it was a decent workout.

Two aikido classes tonight, followed by Stairs/Ruck training in the morning.  And desperately some grocery shopping, because I have no food in my house.  Eep!

• Like 6

I loved the first half of SAO 1... god, that was AWESOME. Sadly the kinky-weird turn for Asuna in the back half kinda felt like it went off the rails a bit. Curious about the actual second season though--you'll have to let me know if it's worth it.

You're looking forward to a bunch of cool stuff this month. Looks like fun from here! =)

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

6 minutes ago, Kyellan said:

You're looking forward to a bunch of cool stuff this month. Looks like fun from here! =)

You should come to my ruck.  Crash at my place if you need to (though it'll be crowded).  Alternatively come Saturday night when we're all puddling and doing low key games and/or drinking to dull the DOMS away.

52 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

You should come to my ruck.  Crash at my place if you need to (though it'll be crowded).  Alternatively come Saturday night when we're all puddling and doing low key games and/or drinking to dull the DOMS away.

I might could come on Saturday. The ruck is not in the cards for me at this point, but gaming/drinking and/or laughing at you poor sods sounds like fun ^.^ I'll check the schedule.

• Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

I'm glad to hear that you are rethinking food. Listening to your body makes a lot more sense than eating anything that fits some arbitrary number. 

3 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

I ended up working with a fifth dan who frequents our dojo, so the instructor more-or-less left me to his hands (mind you, she's a 6th dan, so she could have jumped in whenever she wanted to, but she focused most of her energy on the other pair which was a bit more junior than me).  So lots of making sure I had to get things done right or I'd get whalloped by him.  And when he's throwing he has a tendency to.... not do the technique shown all the time.  So you have to have ukemi that's on point.  So that brownie?  Really good thing.

Yes - proof that you can make good choices on the moment that would not be in your plan. No surprise that a 5th dan is not sticking to one technique. I'm guessing that he figures you know the demonstrated technique well enough that he does not need to show you several more times. So he can play with variations and responding to your attacks with whatever fits best, not just what was shown. In my dojo we call that "doing aikido". :D

• Like 3

Level 60  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

5 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

the sugar and carbs in that thing totally jumpstarted my ability to move.  

My always-have-just-in-case-of-emergency gym food are bags of gummy candy. I rarely dip into them, but man have they saved my but on occasions like that! 

4 hours ago, Kishi said:

You'll be able to see me hide in a corner playing XCOM!

Okay, yeah, no, not happening, but you know.

When SFG was visiting we totally had most nights where he played his game and I played mine and it was silent and wonderful.

Just saying. 

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

I'm glad to hear that you are rethinking food. Listening to your body makes a lot more sense than eating anything that fits some arbitrary number. 

Yes - proof that you can make good choices on the moment that would not be in your plan. No surprise that a 5th dan is not sticking to one technique. I'm guessing that he figures you know the demonstrated technique well enough that he does not need to show you several more times. So he can play with variations and responding to your attacks with whatever fits best, not just what was shown. In my dojo we call that "doing aikido". :D

Yea, food choices have been pretty good, and I've felt comfortable with everything, which is the real victory for me. Normally I'd beat myself up over the brownie. But I owned it and reacted accordingly. Namely  "OMG this is delicious and would have been better yesterday."

As for aikido, yea, it's always an adventure playing with the fifth dan. His mentality is very much about trying to get people to take centers over movement. It's good to work with him, but sometimes  a little rough because his ukemi is a little wonky because of age. So I want to apply the stuff he suggests, but I can't ever really tell if I'm actually doing it or he's taking easier ukemi to protect himself. Dunno. 

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

My always-have-just-in-case-of-emergency gym food are bags of gummy candy. I rarely dip into them, but man have they saved my but on occasions like that! 

Yea, I'm working on having that emergency stash of food that I can count on. Probably larabars. But eating right before aikido isn't exactly a good idea, so timing is reeeeally important. 

Speaking of aikido, interesting news. There is a very large chance that Big Goober has left the dojo. Apparently he was told "No" to joining the iaido class and has since complained to Original Goober that he feels there is a conspiracy against him. (As an aside, I was partially there when he was trying to skimp by on the iaido stuff. The instructor only teaches one class a week and requires a pretty solid commitment from his students. BG was trying to argue that he shouldn't have to buy an iaito... you know, the thing the art is named after. Apparently the after effects of that conversation turned the soft no I heard to a hard no.) So he's been missing for almost 2 weeks, because people apparently are not allowing him to do everything he wants and holding him accountable for his actions. Boo. Freaking. Hoo.

I should be a little concerned about suddenly losing some income for the dojo. But he was such a poor practitioner I think we'll actually end up better.  I'm kind of hoping the OG won't get in touch with him and convince him to come back until he grades for shodan. Guess we shall see.

• Like 4

Yes! Fuel properly for the amount of shit you're doing!

And aw, poor Goober. My heart freaking bleeds...

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

12 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

As an aside, I was partially there when he was trying to skimp by on the iaido stuff. The instructor only teaches one class a week and requires a pretty solid commitment from his students. BG was trying to argue that he shouldn't have to buy an iaito... you know, the thing the art is named after. Apparently the after effects of that conversation turned the soft no I heard to a hard no.

Seriously????  That is the crappiest excuse for giving up on swords I've ever heard.  You can get a Musashi for less than $70 here.  Brand freaking new, you can find even better deals in the scratch and dent, provided you don't mind a few scuffs on your saya.  Great goddess, some people ....

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

13 minutes ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

Seriously????  That is the crappiest excuse for giving up on swords I've ever heard.  You can get a Musashi for less than $70 here.  Brand freaking new, you can find even better deals in the scratch and dent, provided you don't mind a few scuffs on your saya.  Great goddess, some people ....

Yea.  Part of it I think had to do with not wanting to spend money (though the dude last I checked was an employed MD in the area), partially because he was injured, and then he tried to use a "Well I don't know if I'll be in the country shortly and I don't want to buy a sword."  The way I see it (as someone who is notoriously cheap), if you want to commit, you freaking commit.  The injury issue makes sense, but the instructor flat out said that if you're too injured to lift a real sword (as opposed to borrowing a bokken from the dojo), then you need to not do the art until you're fully healed.  And the last part would also make sense.... but he's tried playing that card in my ear shot when trying to convince Sensei to let him test early for his next rank.  At least twice now.  (And thankfully Sensei has said no both times.  Though I wonder if BG is annoyed that Sensei gave an actually leaving student going back to Switzerland permission to test for her nidan before she left.  And by "Permission" I mean Sensei told her two weeks in advance that she was testing.)  Anyway.  I really didn't like the guy, it was the open secret that we didn't like one another in the dojo, and I certainly won't cry at his loss should he not return.

*ahem*

Ruck training this morning, 8 bricks up 868 big ass steps, and down 1,736 small crimson stairs.  28 sections in total.  No fancy PT or buddy carry stuff this morning, because I figured lifting + aikido + Stairs in less than 24 hours was a bit overkill as it was.

Food this morning was a big ass bowl of oatmeal with an apple and like 2 servings of peanut butter.  Dash of cinnamon.  And a two scoop protein shake.  I think I need to drink more water, because I'm still kinda hungry, so a liter will be consumed after this and then if still hungry I'mm nom on a larabar or something.

And for scary job hunt news, I just withdrew from one of the positions I interviewed for last week.  Just wasn't settling well with me that they would have me being the point of contact for a huge company (in an important lab) and then not have my own science projects - essentially being a mindless pair of hands for people so they could get their work done.  I'm actually okay with the idea of moving to a more operations role in the future, I just wanted about another decade of lab work under my belt before I went that route.  Thankfully the HR person was wonderful and understood where I'm coming from.  Hopefully they find the person they are looking for, and maybe tweak the title and job description a bit to reflect what they are actually looking for. (Had the role been listed as Lab Manager/RA, I probably wouldn't have applied - but it was listed as a senior/research associate role, which by title is pretty standard for benchwork people who do some paperwork on the side as a result of the benchwork.)

Still waiting to hear back from the phone interviews and the other onsite interview, but it's been a week or so since all of them went down.  No big rush.  Not a lot to apply for right now, so I'm lightly browsing job boards and contacts.  Maybe my luck will change soon and I can get a job before my ruck.  Or birthday.  Or thanksgiving.

Remember that time I hoped I'd be employed in less than two months again?  Man, those were the days.  Sigh. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

When SFG was visiting we totally had most nights where he played his game and I played mine and it was silent and wonderful.

Just saying.

Oh, I know. You and I would be cool with that, but if there's gonna be as many people there to wait on laugh at us as it sounds, then I wouldn't want to be unsociable.

Anyway, it sounds like BG may be self-selecting out. Good. He was one of the useless ones.

I'm sorry to hear that the employment isn't coming on smooth, though. :( I definitely remember what that's like. I don't miss it. You'll get through this, though. You always do.

• Like 1
Remember that time I hoped I'd be employed in less than two months again?  Man, those were the days.  Sigh. 

I do. I believe I took you out drinking all day.

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

8 hours ago, Kishi said:

Anyway, it sounds like BG may be self-selecting out. Good. He was one of the useless ones.

It happens... sometimes difficult people are worst than an empty space depending on how much energy they suck from the rest of the group...

• Like 1

Haha, get bent, BG. 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1