Shoes

I suppose this topic would have been more useful for me if I had made it before buying a new pair, but oh well. :topsy_turvy:

How often do you replace your training shoes?

Are there any brands you favor?

Do you use the same pair for lifting and cardio (and what do you usually do for cardio)?

"I gave it all my oxygen, so let the flames begin..."

"Dwell in possibility..."

The running store I buy my shoes from said to replace your shoes after 500 miles of running/walking, because the interior cushioning is shot at that point, so I guess you would need to know your weekly average for that information to be useful.

Time wise I would go six months for shoes I wear often, one year for ones I only wear for working out and then I put them away. I wear regular running shoes and Vibrams for running, depending on how my legs, feet and hips feel that day, and I have been wearing my running shoes for lifting, but I've been seeing that sort of frowned upon here, so I might switch to my Vibrams for that too.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

It depends on the shoe. If you need the cushioning, you should try stengthening your feet while not wearing the shoes by walking barefoot on grass, picking up things with your toes, et cetera. Replace the shoe when it gets uncomfortable running in them.

Most shoe companies and stores will say you need to replace them a lot sooner than you actually do, so that you'll spend more money buying shoes... (sounds conspiracy theory-ish, I know. But it's the truth).

Brand is really person specific, it really depends on your gait and mechanics. I have a normal gait (which is in fact abnormal) and will tend toward underpronating more than overpronating, but really I run very straight ankled with a forefoot or midfoot strike, though when really tired I can get sloppy and heel strike. The upside of my gait is that I can wear pretty much any running shoe, spending inordinate amounts on shoes for me is a waste of money (not the case for most people, most people have an abnormal gait). I have a pair of Saucony running shoes and a pair of New Balance running shoes. The Saucony shoes have more cusioning (despite being older), the New Balance shoes flex better and have more "feel", I can't really say one is better (though I'll take the extra cusioning on pavement).

I have two pairs of running shoes for a couple good reasons. First is that it is much easier to tell when a pair is worn out when you have something to compare it to. Second two pairs mixed together will last longer than two pairs back to back. The reason being the longer between uses, the more time the sole has to decompress and spring back. I'm not sure how much life it adds, but any extra makes it worth it.

All of my cardio is running or walking. I actually have a couple pairs of walking shoes too for outdoor walks to keep the miles off my running shoes. I do strength train in my running shoes 2x a week, however virtually everything I do is bodyweight so it makes little difference, but running shoes tend to flex well and are light which is ideal for bodyweight exercise.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

It really comes down to what you are using the shoes for. If its just for cross training or a shoe to wear while at the gym, then you probably don't have to worry as much. If you are a serious runner, then shoes can make or break you.

I'd recommend going to your local running store (not a big box store) and talking with them about what shoe will work best for you. They will probably ask you to run for them to check you gait and pronation. If they don't, you may want to try someplace else, as these are important factors in picking out a good running shoe. Once you've narrowed it down to a few different models/brands, go out a give them a good run (at least a 1/4 mi) to see how they feel (yes, a good running store will let you do this). Being the big nerd I am, I track my mileage with a GPS watch, though there are several very good apps for your smartphone they work just as well to track your mileage for your shoes (RunKeeper comes to mind). I replace mine around 500 miles or so, as that is about when I notice some different pains in my legs to the cushioning giving out. And by replace, I mean I make them my shoes to wear around the gym for strength training days, since they just fine for that purpose.

For brands, I prefer Asics, but the people at your local running store will probably be able to give you many brands/models bases on your specific gait and pronation. I've stuck with Asics as I've been running for awhile now and have found a model that works very well for me.

"Fortune favors the prepared mind"

How often do you replace your training shoes?

Are there any brands you favor?

Do you use the same pair for lifting and cardio (and what do you usually do for cardio)?

I've had the same pair of VFFs for almost 3 years now. I use them for running and lifting. But they now have a hole in them so I need to look for new ones. Amazing how such little material can stand up for so long.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I've had the same pair of VFFs for almost 3 years now. I use them for running and lifting. But they now have a hole in them so I need to look for new ones. Amazing how such little material can stand up for so long.

I've had my VFFs for a year and they still look brand new. Good to know they last a while.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

My "interior cushioning" comes in the form of foot and calf muscles (minimalist shoes ftw) so the only time I need new shoes is when the soles have worn through. I've had a pair of NB Minimus since the fall, worn them almost every day either to lift in or to run in, and they're good as new.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.