[NeverThatBored] I Am Sleepy, Hear Me Roar

NeverThatBored

This challenge, I am going to do the dreaded thing...a sleep challenge.

The thing is, I sleep OKAY. Most nights I manage 7 hours, sometimes 6 on bad nights. But when I sleep naturally, I sleep 7.5 hours. I read all these things about how important getting your FULL amount of sleep is and how it affects just about everything. I'm often really groggy. I'm alert for maybe 2 hours after waking up, and then I get sleepy. I am a napper who could easily take 3 naps  a day if schedules allowed. And I pretty much only have the mental clarity to really talk well with other people when I'm NOT tired. So in theory, if I get enough sleep, my workouts will have more energy, I will have more willpower to resist junk food, and I'll be better at talking to people. That's why I'm taking this on.

Here are the goals:

Goal 1: Get enough sleep (7.5 hours a night is my natural pattern)

I already get up fairly early, so I have to work on inching back bedtime. I struggle with that, so I've avoided doing a sleep challenge up until now. But with constant travel and running around, it just feels like time. 

So on most nights, I'll aim to...

• Sign off of my computer at 9ish
  • Meditate, do any chores or reading I feel like for a while to unwind
  • Try to sleep by 10ish but it's ok to stay up doing non-screen things if I can't sleep.
  • On bootcamp days when I wake up at 5 instead of 6, it will be more like 7 hours of sleep vs. the ideal 7.5. I won't worry about that for now...I'll just try to stick to the routine above. 
  • Travel's going to fuck me up because my boyfriend is a night owl, so I'm just going to ignore that can of worms for now too. 

Goal 2: Do whatever the hell exercises I feel like. Do them with love. Do a lot of them.

Last week I added in an extra workout (4 vs. my usual 3) and I LOVED IT. I'm generally aiming for the same 3 workouts per week, but I'll try to get in that 4th workout when I can. I'll continue running once a week, with at least an hour of yoga required before I'm allowed to run again. I'll continue working on focused flexibility. If I get through my Aikido test in November without crying, I can buy a sledgehammer and I might start doing some shovelglove. Yadda yadda. I'm not tracking or scoring any of this. I've done 3 workouts per week since January, and I have no intention of breaking my streak now with the end of the year so close. 

...And that's IT. "What??" you say, "You usually have like 20 elaborate steps for every goal!" I decided enough was enough for now. I don't need to lay out the workout goals, because I've got those down. As for food, my food vibes have been terrible since July. But last week I just suddenly hit the right buttons and started getting back on track again after watching some meal prep videos on YouTube. I think SEEING healthy food and reminding myself what a healthy diet looks and feels like did more for me that scoring or tracking or any of that nonsense. If there's anything I've learned by experimenting with different kinds of tracking this year, it's that I KNOW when I'm eating healthy and when I'm not. I don't want to keep fighting myself and feeling guilty, so I'm just going to go with the flow while I'm feeling it. If the switch turns back off, I'll go back to scoring food.

In the long run, this makes sense. I don't want to track food for the rest of my life. I generally want to eat paleo/primal because that feels best for my body, but I'm going rogue and not setting any goals about it for a while. There are times when variances make sense, and it's hard to capture that in a scoresheet. So I'm just going to keep learning how to eat in a sustainably healthy way.

Let's do an icebreaker! Do any of you have any weird sleep habits or sleep experiences? I'm a cuddly sleeper so I have to hug either a stuffed animal or a blanket or a pillow when I sleep

• Like 12

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Yay! I like breaking things! 

So of course I can't think of a thing. Hmm. Well I can't nap to save my life. I could be dying of exhaustion but if it's not a reasonable bedtime/if I can't get at least  5 hours forget it. No sleep for Flea. Also I hadn't slept with a stuffed animal in yeeeeaaars but in the past year I've started sleeping with one when I can't get comfortable. It's weird and I don't know how it came about. 

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I also have to cuddle a pillow as I sleep! I sleep with three head pillows, a cuddle pillow, a king size duvet all to myself and a single duvet I use to drape my legs over, kind of like a body pillow, #SnugLife.

My boyfriend is the opposite, he sleeps with just a sheet on unless it's really really cold so if anyone was to walk in on us at night they'd think I was the biggest bitch in the world with all my pillows and blankets as he's shivering away under a sheet but I swear he likes it this way! Especially as I have to sleep with the window open even in deepest, darkest winter because I love the fresh air. 

• Like 5

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

When I sleep I normally need a wall to lean against. So my body is at this comfortable angle and my legs can wrap around the covers, so my bottom leg is out and my top one is warm, and this keeps everything comfortable. But yep, I generally need to sleep against a wall.

The food scoring thing makes a ton of sense. I always forget to track my food, and then I'm trying to catch up and I feel guilty, and I can't really maintain it. But generally picking healthy food is easier and possibly healthier for me.

• Like 2

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

Uh, you should have a look at the sleep thread in the monks section. Many experiences on enforcing good sleeping habits for exchanged.

• I need my stuffed animal and also bring him with me on longer holidays. Got him from my bf, when we had a long distance relationship and somehow kept him in bed, when me and my bf moved together. He also kept his fox, so I guess it's fine.
  • Having some go to be routines helped: setting the table for breakfast, packing my bag for the next day, brushing my teeth and reading ten pages in my book.
  • I usually meditate in the morning. But when I can't fall asleep although I'm tired, a ten minute body scan helps.
  • Warm milk with honey :)

• Like 4

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

I'm here!

My weird habits:

• If I fall asleep too quickly, I do this whole body jerk thing that scares the crap out of my husband on a regular basis.
  • I will get into this weird state of sleep / awake where I do things but details are wrong (i.e. the other night I woke up to use the bathroom and I thought I was wearing different underwear than I was - don't judge me).

My daughter is also a sleep walker / talker. So I've got a ton of stories. She's tried to climb a wall spider-man style and (more recently) called me at 2 am to tell me a story.

• Like 4

Bluhhhh you guys, I want to do the Rings program that NF just released but also I don't want to pay for it. 

• Like 5

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

15 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

Bluhhhh you guys, I want to do the Rings program that NF just released but also I don't want to pay for it. 

These feels are also my feels. ; ;

I LOVE THIS CHALLENGE.  PERFECT.  Find a Thing and attack THAT ONE THING.

I normally sleep like a brick.  I really don't function well on a lack of sleep and sometimes I'll get anxious when I travel about not being able to sleep, and surprise, I'll sleep like turds and be wiped out and trying to catch up for days.  Sigh. Go figure huh? ^^

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

21 hours ago, Maigahane said:

618ae74eb6f8b49b44e8b2aaf19a7328.jpg

True story

That's amazing. 

20 hours ago, fleaball said:

Yay! I like breaking things! 

So of course I can't think of a thing. Hmm. Well I can't nap to save my life. I could be dying of exhaustion but if it's not a reasonable bedtime/if I can't get at least  5 hours forget it. No sleep for Flea. Also I hadn't slept with a stuffed animal in yeeeeaaars but in the past year I've started sleeping with one when I can't get comfortable. It's weird and I don't know how it came about. 

I am sorry you have a life so deprived of naps, but I'm glad you at least have awoken to the joys of stuffed animals. What kind of animal do you use?? Does it have a name?

16 hours ago, deftona said:

I also have to cuddle a pillow as I sleep! I sleep with three head pillows, a cuddle pillow, a king size duvet all to myself and a single duvet I use to drape my legs over, kind of like a body pillow, #SnugLife.

My boyfriend is the opposite, he sleeps with just a sheet on unless it's really really cold so if anyone was to walk in on us at night they'd think I was the biggest bitch in the world with all my pillows and blankets as he's shivering away under a sheet but I swear he likes it this way! Especially as I have to sleep with the window open even in deepest, darkest winter because I love the fresh air. 

ME TOO. <3 I always want the window open because I hate stale heater air, and also I like to bury myself in snuggly blankets and pillows. Sometimes I look at my bed and wonder how there's room for me on it.

15 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

When I sleep I normally need a wall to lean against. So my body is at this comfortable angle and my legs can wrap around the covers, so my bottom leg is out and my top one is warm, and this keeps everything comfortable. But yep, I generally need to sleep against a wall.

The food scoring thing makes a ton of sense. I always forget to track my food, and then I'm trying to catch up and I feel guilty, and I can't really maintain it. But generally picking healthy food is easier and possibly healthier for me.

Oooh, fascinating. I love corner beds, and sleeping on couches because I have a wall on one side, so I understand that feel. My dream is to have a niche bed tucked away somewhere. But how do you sleep at hotels if you have to have a wall all the time??

13 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Uh, you should have a look at the sleep thread in the monks section. Many experiences on enforcing good sleeping habits for exchanged.

• I need my stuffed animal and also bring him with me on longer holidays. Got him from my bf, when we had a long distance relationship and somehow kept him in bed, when me and my bf moved together. He also kept his fox, so I guess it's fine.
  • Having some go to be routines helped: setting the table for breakfast, packing my bag for the next day, brushing my teeth and reading ten pages in my book.
  • I usually meditate in the morning. But when I can't fall asleep although I'm tired, a ten minute body scan helps.
  • Warm milk with honey :)

Ooh, I did not know about that thread. Thanks for the tip! It's very cute that you both have your stuffed animals.

11 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I'm here!

My weird habits:

• If I fall asleep too quickly, I do this whole body jerk thing that scares the crap out of my husband on a regular basis.
  • I will get into this weird state of sleep / awake where I do things but details are wrong (i.e. the other night I woke up to use the bathroom and I thought I was wearing different underwear than I was - don't judge me).

My daughter is also a sleep walker / talker. So I've got a ton of stories. She's tried to climb a wall spider-man style and (more recently) called me at 2 am to tell me a story.

That's amazing. Sleepwalkers are fascinating. 

11 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Following! I sleep with a fan on for white noise, but when I travel, I need earplugs. I also sometimes sleep better in the day than at night 

I am always afraid to use earplugs because I worry I won't hear an alarm go off. And sun naps are the best! I love catting it up and sleeping in sunny spots during the day.

4 hours ago, shaar said:

These feels are also my feels. ; ;

I LOVE THIS CHALLENGE.  PERFECT.  Find a Thing and attack THAT ONE THING.

I normally sleep like a brick.  I really don't function well on a lack of sleep and sometimes I'll get anxious when I travel about not being able to sleep, and surprise, I'll sleep like turds and be wiped out and trying to catch up for days.  Sigh. Go figure huh? ^^

Yeahhhh, that whole sleep anxiety thing just makes you even worse off than if you didn't fret about it. Life is hard.

2 hours ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

LOVE IT. You've got this, mellon nin! Good for you deciding to get your sleeping ironed out!

Thank you~~

• Like 4

Update:

• I went to a bootcamp class this morning - tabata style! He made us do SQUAT JACKS. Squat jacks are the worst. Then we had to do burpees for the round after, followed by jump ups. Ahhhhh. So much jumping.
  • Walked at lunch. I wanted to run but I haven't done enough yoga yet so I'm not allowed. Boo. 
  • Cooked a bunch of foods. Spaghetti squash pizza pie mmmmmmmm
  • Still need to do FF before bed. I'm trying to get myself to do some yoga but we'll see. It is about 45 minutes until I'm supposed to shut down my computer for my sleep goal so I probably won't get to it on time. I WILL do some in the morning though.
  • Like 8

Is a squat jack what I think it- *googles* what fresh hell. AND BURPEES? Your dude is not playing around, I take it? Holy cow.

I have an aversion to spaghetti squash (and anything with strings, really, strings is a gross word) but then you said 'pizza pie' and that sounds amazing.

In answer to the sleepy-ice-breaker question; I have two stuffed animals- one's a wolf and one's a rabbit. Also one firm pillow and one (ridiculously) soft body pillow. The firm pillow goes at my back and the body pillow varies depending on the day. Sometimes I just turn myself into a pillow sandwich, others I'll prop the soft pillow on the firm pillow. I move around a lot in my sleep so the main objective is finding something that feels okay long enough to fall asleep. The wolf goes under one arm and the rabbit typically winds up being neck support. Also a foofy faux-fur blanket. Fluffy things, man, gotta have 'em.

• Like 4

Matthew 25:34-40

49 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

I am sorry you have a life so deprived of naps, but I'm glad you at least have awoken to the joys of stuffed animals. What kind of animal do you use?? Does it have a name?

It's a cat named Mr. Kitty. Which is what small children name their stuffed animals, usually, except I got him last year. I thought it was the best name ever and I am 100% blaming the fever for that. :rolleyes: 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

9 minutes ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

Is a squat jack what I think it- *googles* what fresh hell. AND BURPEES? Your dude is not playing around, I take it? Holy cow.

I have an aversion to spaghetti squash (and anything with strings, really, strings is a gross word) but then you said 'pizza pie' and that sounds amazing.

YES IT'S THE WORST THING EVER I HATE THEM

Here's the recipe if you're curious! I like it better for cooking spaghetti squash than just using it as a pasta substitute, and it's easy to customize with different ingredients. 

12 minutes ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

In answer to the sleepy-ice-breaker question; I have two stuffed animals- one's a wolf and one's a rabbit. Also one firm pillow and one (ridiculously) soft body pillow. The firm pillow goes at my back and the body pillow varies depending on the day. Sometimes I just turn myself into a pillow sandwich, others I'll prop the soft pillow on the firm pillow. I move around a lot in my sleep so the main objective is finding something that feels okay long enough to fall asleep. The wolf goes under one arm and the rabbit typically winds up being neck support. Also a foofy faux-fur blanket. Fluffy things, man, gotta have 'em.

I totally use fluffy things as neck support too. Fluffy things are the greatest. I hate when it's summer and I want to use fluffy things but it's too hot for them.

1 minute ago, fleaball said:

It's a cat named Mr. Kitty. Which is what small children name their stuffed animals, usually, except I got him last year. I thought it was the best name ever and I am 100% blaming the fever for that. :rolleyes: 

Mr. Kitty is an excellent name, and children/sick you have the right idea.

• Like 3

On 25/10/2016 at 3:15 AM, NeverThatBored said:

Let's do an icebreaker! Do any of you have any weird sleep habits or sleep experiences? I'm a cuddly sleeper so I have to hug either a stuffed animal or a blanket or a pillow when I sleep

When I sleep on my own, I start on one side of the bed and when that side/pillow gets too warm, I roll over to the other side/pillow. If I'm sleeping with someone, I have to touch them, even in my sleep. If they roll away or get up, I pat the bed in my sleep looking for them.

• Like 5

Current Challenge

2016 Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4 

Previous challenges:  New Year Challenge , Muir Does Stuff, :apple:    

1 hour ago, Muir said:

When I sleep on my own, I start on one side of the bed and when that side/pillow gets too warm, I roll over to the other side/pillow. If I'm sleeping with someone, I have to touch them, even in my sleep. If they roll away or get up, I pat the bed in my sleep looking for them.

That's so sweet. My bf does something similar. He hates that I'm a morning person and can't enjoy a nice long sleep in as he does.

And mhhh spaghetti squash pizza pie :P

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

2 hours ago, Muir said:

That is ridiculously cute. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Oooh, fascinating. I love corner beds, and sleeping on couches because I have a wall on one side, so I understand that feel. My dream is to have a niche bed tucked away somewhere. But how do you sleep at hotels if you have to have a wall all the time??

I can do a few night without them, but it requires me to be very tired (which I often am when travelling) and some strategic spare pillow placement and duvet origami as I sleep. 

I think I need the wall to ground me, as I have found myself sleeping with my head at the other end of the bed - nothing else disturbed - when I don't have it.

• Like 1

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

... Squat jacks.....??

comics-Cyanide-and-Happiness-revenge-361

*runs*

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

23 minutes ago, shaar said:

... Squat jacks.....??

comics-Cyanide-and-Happiness-revenge-361

*runs*

Literally the worst.

Update! I didn't officially decide to do Week 0 but I'm doing it apparently. I successfully signed off my computer last night around 9 and then was in bed by 10. I read a little bit and didn't actually go to sleep until 10:30ish, but it's all good. I woke up ONE MINUTE before my alarm and I haven't really felt sleepy today.

Today, I:

• Did 30 minutes of yoga in the morning. I've got to do 18 more so that I can finally go on my run! I normally would have done it by now. This yoga hour rule is very effective for making me get in yoga, though. 
  • Walked at lunchtime. It's cold here so I think I have to break out the gloves. I also think I may pick up a pair of running gloves. Just when I think I'm done buying athletic gear for a while! If anyone has any recommendations about gloves for running in the winter, I'm all ears. 
  • Worked out after work! My wrist is still bugging me so I'm trying to be careful with it. It's been going on for a good month now, and I don't really know what to do about it. I read some good tips about grip position on bodyweight dips that I'm hoping will help. I'm wondering if I'll have to start a wrist strengthening program too though. >.<
  • I'll do FF after I post this and then be offline by 9. I'm going to bootcamp (large circuit!) in the AM, and there's a rumor that it might snow tomorrow, so I need all of the rest that I can get. T_T
  • Ate pretty well, but did have snacks instead of dinner, including some pumpkin spice cheerios that have been calling from my cupboard. 
  • Like 8

This is how I prefer to do workouts myself. I like to mix it up a lot. I have to keep things loosely defined in that department. Also thanks for the reminder about focused flexibility. I need to bust that out more (Elements too).  

I sleep with with my legs in a half crossed position apparently (one knee bent up, other ankle crossed over onto it). My husband thinks it's hysterical. /shrugs.  If anything touches me while sleeping I hit and yell. Haha. 

• Like 2

Rangering since Sept 2015