Welcome to the National Novel Writing Month (or simply, NaNoWriMo) accountabilibuddy group!

A little background for the uninitiated. The goal of NaNoWriMo is to write 50,000 words during the month of November. It's a fun, challenging, one of a kind experience. It is also a tool for learning to ignore the editor on your shoulder. You know, the one that tells you to go back and rewrite the same sentence a dozen times.

It might help to think of what comes out of this month as a pre-first draft, or zero draft. Yes, it will be a mess. But every novel, short story, play, script, started life as a mess. And with a lot of work and love, if you so desire, you can turn it into something publishable.

Whether or not NaNoWriMo is part of your challenge, or you even have a challenge, if you're writing for NaNoWriMo (or even just thinking about it) this group is for you. Welcome!

Links:

NaNoWriMo Official Website

• Like 5

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

I've been debating as to whether or not I will do it, but I think I won't do it strictly.

I've got a Critical Role Reverse Bang for the first two weeks, and I think I'll get 20 000 words out of that. And then another 5 000 for a school project. And then 25 000 words of my novel. At least, thats the plan :P 

• Like 3

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

Thanks all for showing up! To be honest, I was on the fence about writing this year until a few days ago. I've tried NaNoWriMo a few times, but I only beat it my first time. And that was probably because it was Camp NaNoWriMo, and I had a few weeks there where I didn't have any other obligations. But I have an idea that I think I'll have some luck with this time. :D

Week Zero Discussion (completely optional):

1) What excites you the most about NaNoWriMo this year? What has you the most worried?

2) When it comes to writing, are you the plan ahead type, or the spontaneous type?

----

I'll start.

1) I think what excites me the most this year is my story idea. And my approach to it. And the format I'm going to use. It's been awhile since I've been this passionate about an idea. What has me the most worried is that I still have a lot of prep work to do. I only have maybe a quarter of my outline done. And I know I'll have a much easier time if I at least have some kind of outline.

2) In practice, I tend to be a spontaneous writer. And I tend to suffer from "idea creep". I'll just keep getting more and more ideas to add in as I'm writing, and it'll just end up a big jumbled mess. "Hey, it'd be really cool if..." But I definitely want to become more of an organized writer (and learn a bit of restraint), because I actually write better that way.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Thanks all for showing up! To be honest, I was on the fence about writing this year until a few days ago. I've tried NaNoWriMo a few times, but I only beat it my first time. And that was probably because it was Camp NaNoWriMo, and I had a few weeks there where I didn't have any other obligations. But I have an idea that I think I'll have some luck with this time. :D

Week Zero Discussion (completely optional):

1) What excites you the most about NaNoWriMo this year? What has you the most worried?

2) When it comes to writing, are you the plan ahead type, or the spontaneous type?

----

I'll start.

1) I think what excites me the most this year is my story idea. And my approach to it. And the format I'm going to use. It's been awhile since I've been this passionate about an idea. What has me the most worried is that I still have a lot of prep work to do. I only have maybe a quarter of my outline done. And I know I'll have a much easier time if I at least have some kind of outline.

2) In practice, I tend to be a spontaneous writer. And I tend to suffer from "idea creep". I'll just keep getting more and more ideas to add in as I'm writing, and it'll just end up a big jumbled mess. "Hey, it'd be really cool if..." But I definitely want to become more of an organized writer (and learn a bit of restraint), because I actually write better that way.

Glad to see you have a good idea for a story already. IMHO that's half the battle. I'm with you about the idea creep problem and can totally relate. I took some time this month to rough out a plan for what i want to write and I'm hoping it will make a difference. We'll soon find out!

As for me:

1. I've wanted to write a novel for basically my whole life. It's always seemed to me to be one those bucket list ideas that I have to do. Well I'm getting older and haven't done it yet, so have decided that this is the year. I'm excited that this may give me the reason to push through and get a draft on paper, but at the same time I'm a bit worried that I'll run out of steam/ideas, or get sick of it halfway through.
  2. As I mentioned, I tend to be the Spontaneous type, which is fine for short stories and blog posts, but I don't think it will cut it for a novel. Already I'm finding that keeping track of threads and characters is going to be tricky, but I'm excited about learning how to put a novel together.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing how everyone goes :)

• Like 4

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

I've written more in the last 6 months than probably any year in... possibly forever.  I got my groove back somehow, I think mostly by focusing on smaller chunks of writing at a time.  I'm not trying to finish a STORY before I move onto the next one, I'm just trying to finish a chapter, and usually operating in 12-15 pages for a 'chapter'.  Complete this current event, situation, whatever, set up the next part, and then set it aside and free my brain to work on something else. Also, since last NaNo, I've taken English 206 - Novel Writing, and am currently in the middle of English 205 - Creative Writing & Poetry.  These are the first English courses I've ever taken FOR FUN, and I'm loving it.  I feel like this is a whole new me coming to the NaNo table.

I plan ahead in the very broadest sense.  A rough A --> B --> C series of events, maybe a few notes and reminders, and that's it.  Writing, especially dialogue or action, flows WAY better when it's extemporaneous bullshit. :D

• Like 4

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

1. What has me most excited is having a group of people who know I'm supposed to be writing. I'm not even close to really having a plan but I may just word vomit. I haven't written like this since high school, so it should be interesting. My biggest worry, just in general for everything right now, is since my life has just been effectively turned upside down, that it's going to affect what I do and if I do something.

2. I normally like to have a general idea of what I'm going to write. I've never been big on formally planning anything, which mighty be why I only ever really completed short stories when I used to write.

• Like 4

Level 1 Elf Rebel Ranger

STR 0.15 || DEX 0.00 || STA 0.36 || CON 4.71 || WIS 6.47 || CHA 3.32

Character Profile || Fitbit

Battle Log || Current Challenge

I'm excited because I have a couple of people at school who will be doing NaNo with me and going to the local events, so I'll stay motivated. I'm worried that I won't do as much of my story as I may want, as I have a Reverse Bang to write for. And if I don't get a lot of it out now, I may never get it out ( or at least until Camp NaNo :P )

I have a theme, couple of character ideas, a rough plan of where I want them to start, what development I want, and then a final scene. As for how they get to each of these places, I tend to have a thousand different ideas at once, and it only really takes shape after I start writing. So, a mix of pantser and planner.

• Like 6

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

I'm excited because I have more confidence in my topic and feel I can really share some tools to help others!  It's about surviving your first year in outreach for a nonprofit, and I found it difficult to stay engaged while still in my first year.

I'm most worried about reaching the word count.  My outline from last year is pretty nice, and I'm sure while I write it more ideas will come, but is there 50K words for my topic?  Will I think of 1766 words a day about it?

PLANNER

• Like 4

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

Sweet, I was planning on writing for Nanowrimo anyway but now there's an accountabilibuddy group and that's awesome.

1. I'm really excited about the story I'm planning on writing. I've had the main plot and characters in my head for quite some time. I even have a few scenes written already and a friend of mine really loves my characters. What I'm most worried about is actually getting enough writing done each day. I tend to put off things like this till way late in the day and by that time I'm too tired to write.

2. As far as planning goes I usually have the beginning, the end, and a few places I want the story to go in the middle and then I just let the characters write the rest. Things that I never knew about my characters usually show up while I'm writing and can change the entire tone of the story.

• Like 4

Ranger - Level 7

My Character

Current Challenge

Hello, everyone. This is my first accountabilibuddy group and I hope I do right by you all. :)
It's not, however, my first NaNoWriMo. I've done it several times, and have yet to win. I did win at Camp once, though.

I am most excited just to write. I've made a promise to myself that I'm just going to do it. No whining about motivation or inspiration. I'm going to use this to teach myself to write like its a job and to push through all the little things that would normally stall me. That's what I'm most excited about. What I'm worried about is life sucking me away. It's so easy to put everything and everyone in front of this "silly hobby." I'm worried I'll do it again, because it's always somehow just fine to bale on my own things and rush to help everyone else do theirs.

I've been all of it. I wrote my biggest, most complex stories all while pantsing the hell out of it. Now I've gotten into the habit of planning. For this month, though, I only have a rough outline and since the real goal is just to get words written, I'm open to this story going wild. You can't edit an empty page, after all. ;)

• Like 4

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

Previous Challenges: 1 ~ Current Challenge

Tried to start writing for the CR thing, and the words feel so clunky. I've not done any story writing in so long! The past two/three years have been spent RPing or writing drabbles. Its such a different skill and I'm uncomfortable with how difficult I'm finding it. It's like the story is there in my head, but it's rushing out too fast and without proper pace or character. I'm too used to drawing out the suspense with other people's tangents. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2016 at 11:35 AM, IAmInfinite said:

Tried to start writing for the CR thing, and the words feel so clunky. I've not done any story writing in so long! The past two/three years have been spent RPing or writing drabbles. Its such a different skill and I'm uncomfortable with how difficult I'm finding it. It's like the story is there in my head, but it's rushing out too fast and without proper pace or character. I'm too used to drawing out the suspense with other people's tangents. 

My writing is a bit rusty too. And I never fully recovered from a burnout a few years ago (and that was working on a collaborative piece). I feel your pain.

• Like 2

Hooray! I was going to start this thread if there wasn't one, so thanks @zeroh13 for setting this up!

I haven't done it seriously in 14 years (I won in 2002!) I've been getting a lot better at sticking to my writing intentions, but have struggled with fiction...so I am really excited about NaNo.  That said....I'm starting a new (very thinky) job on Monday and I'm pretty sure doing both is the worst idea.  But isn't NaNo kind of about embracing the terrible ideas and just sprinting forward?!  I have set up some lower goals for myself (20,000 words for the month) and will be beyond thrilled if I hit them.  

Typically I'm 100% spontaneous; I've never planned a thing in my life.  Since I will be pushing hard to get this writing done, I decided to try a new strategy and plot out as much of it as I can in advance.  So far there are, like, portals into other...worlds? Dimensions? Times? And a big chase through them to recover a stolen artifact of great import.  

My username is sparklingrobots.  I added a few of you--might have missed a few people, sorry if so! 

• Like 3

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

Hey everyone, I don't know what Nanowrimo this is but I hope I can win this one. I'm wanting to write a novel about a reluctant teacher who pilots an organic cybernetic mecha suit.

• Like 5

http://scrawlcreatelive.tumblr.com

@scrawlingwriter- Twitter Scrawlingwriter- Instagram Scrawlingwriter. Com

Current Challenge:http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71377-The-ABCs-of-Hogwarts-School-of-Witchcraft-and-Wizardry

Lvl. 4 Assassin

STR =3.50 DEX =4.75 STA=5.00

CON =2.55 WIS =5.00 CHA=1.50

On 10/27/2016 at 3:40 AM, zeroh13 said:

I did practice my touch typing or wrote 750 every day for the past year, so this time around there will be lot less spelling mistakes . The thing that I am the most worried about is that I will start writing drivel just to get some words down on paper ans ending up with a lot of completely unusable writing

On 10/27/2016 at 3:40 AM, zeroh13 said:

I promise myself every year I will plan and then then procrastinate enough to not do it. At least I've got a title. There are years where I did not even have that.

• Like 4

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

Yay, more writers! Hi! The more the merrier!

Tomorrow I'll have some time to add everyone who's not on my buddy list yet.

Week One Discussion (completely optional):

1) Tell us a little about your story.

2) What's in your NaNoWriMo toolbox?

----

1) I wrote about my story in my challenge thread, so I'll quote from that:

On 10/27/2016 at 1:16 PM, zeroh13 said:

It's called 50,400 Seconds and covers a college student's therapy sessions over the course of a semester, at the college's counseling center. Each chapter is a therapy session, just the dialogue back and forth between the student and the therapist. I'm planning on covering identity, gender, sexuality, queerness, spirituality and occultism, depression, self-harm, suicide, and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm also taking Korn's discography, and picking one song from each album (plus two singles that don't appear on the main albums), and incorporating their themes into my writing. That's also where I'm getting my chapter titles from.

2) In order to write, I need headphones, the right music, and no one to distract me. One thing I use that helps a lot is this program called Write or Die. Whenever you stop typing, after a few seconds it'll start yelling at you until you start typing again. You can play with the settings to make it more or less forgiving.

• Like 4