I'm in once again this year, and I am happy to see so many others are participating as well! Woot!

My username is the same that I use here, in case anyone wants to add me :D

On 10/26/2016 at 8:40 PM, zeroh13 said:

Week Zero Discussion (completely optional):

1) What excites you the most about NaNoWriMo this year? What has you the most worried?

2) When it comes to writing, are you the plan ahead type, or the spontaneous type?

1) What excites me the most? Going on the adventures with the characters! As corny as that sounds, it's a nice little escape for me, plus I love writing anyway, so what's not to enjoy?

The thing I am most worried about is being able to focus on one novel idea at a time. I usually have at least three going at once and end up never finishing one. I do plan on it, but I can never stay focused on just one long enough. 

2) I can go both ways, some days I love planning, mapping out characters and timelines, creating bio's and other times I fly by the seat of my pants. Starting a new adventure with new characters and no idea where the road will take me ^_^ 

• Like 4

Weight Loss. 195lbs -> 135lbs (60lbs target loss)

0%
0%
6 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Yay, more writers! Hi! The more the merrier!

Tomorrow I'll have some time to add everyone who's not on my buddy list yet.

Week One Discussion (completely optional):

1) Tell us a little about your story.

2) What's in your NaNoWriMo toolbox?

----

1) I wrote about my story in my challenge thread, so I'll quote from that:

2) In order to write, I need headphones, the right music, and no one to distract me. One thing I use that helps a lot is this program called Write or Die. Whenever you stop typing, after a few seconds it'll start yelling at you until you start typing again. You can play with the settings to make it more or less forgiving.

Your story sounds absolutely fascinating! I hope I get to read it some day. Or, I imagine, it could become a play.

• Like 2

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

Previous Challenges: 1 ~ Current Challenge

3 hours ago, WritingWeaver said:

The thing I am most worried about is being able to focus on one novel idea at a time. I usually have at least three going at once and end up never finishing one. I do plan on it, but I can never stay focused on just one long enough.

Oh, boy, I hear ya! I have switched which story I was going to write at least five times already. I made a book cover and that has stopped me from wanting to change. Ok, I still think about writing another story, but I have committed to this one since I made the cover and I put those other stories right out of my head for like an hour or even more!

It's tough. I feel your worry.

• Like 2

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

13 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Yay, more writers! Hi! The more the merrier!

Tomorrow I'll have some time to add everyone who's not on my buddy list yet.

----

1) I wrote about my story in my challenge thread, so I'll quote from that:

2) In order to write, I need headphones, the right music, and no one to distract me. One thing I use that helps a lot is this program called Write or Die. Whenever you stop typing, after a few seconds it'll start yelling at you until you start typing again. You can play with the settings to make it more or less forgiving.

Wow that sounds really interesting! Hope you manage to pull it off :)

I'm stoked to have already put pen to paper (keys to bits?) and have clocked up 3917 words so far. First day's always the easiest though, so I'm hoping I can keep it up for a month.

As for this week's discussion:

1. My book is something I've wanted to do since about 1998. When the Phantom Menace was coming out, I was living with my brother, and we basically were nerding out about all the cool references there would be, the satisfying loose ends being tied up, seeing the clone wars, etc. Needless to say, when it finally came out it was beyond disappointing. My brother came home looking so depressed. Anyways, I've wanted to right this wrong for about 18 years now, and finally I'm going to do my best to do it. I'm re-writing the prequels the way they should have been, and having a ball doing it :) No more jar jar, no more midichlorians!
  2. I'm on a steady diet of John Williams music. I find it gets me into the mood perfectly and it's really motivating!
    Also, I'm using Trello to keep track of my characters, locations, and plotlines. It's really helping! I can move and sort my ideas visually and swap in and out plot ideas as I think of them.
    Lastly, I'm using Google docs to write my actual book. It's so nice to be able to chip away using my phone while I'm on the bus as that's my major source of quiet time. 

On a side note, I just scored a beta invite to use Airstory - a new writing app. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds promising. 

• Like 5

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

1. My story is called "Sanctuary Covenant". Karya is a princess and has her very own Griffon, but when she's kidnapped at the age of eight everyone thinks she's dead. Hiding out in a rival kingdom she does not reveal herself for fear of someone hurting her. Under the new name of Arcus she becomes the bodyguard of that kingdom's princess, Mortina. The years that Karya spends away from home help her learn that there is more to the coming war than what everyone thinks.

2. My Nanowrimo toolbox includes Microsoft Word. Sometimes I listen to music but it has to fit the mood of the scene. And it is usually dark when I write because like a genius I wait until the last possible minute to start writing.

Last night I was so close to writing a little Halloween story for Mortina and Karya. I would have done it too but my schoolwork took till about midnight and I was tired. If I've got some time after I finish today's word count I might still do it. I know a friend of mine would love to read it.

• Like 5

Ranger - Level 7

My Character

Current Challenge

13 hours ago, Alaysia said:

Your story sounds absolutely fascinating! I hope I get to read it some day. Or, I imagine, it could become a play.

I was thinking about this yesterday, and it has the potential to become a pretty intense two person play. It's one thing to read about mental illness, but seeing a really good actor portraying it takes the whole thing to a completely different level.

I'm actually at a write-in now. First time ever going to one. It's weird. But cool. Anyone else planning on going to write-ins?

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Is anyone using Novlr for this Nano? I was trying to decide if I wanted to sign up for it, it looks cool but I don't want to pay for it after November, so is it worth using now?

Also, I'm duckiechaos on the Nano site. I wasn't planning on jumping in this year, but why not? I've got a novel in my heart!

• Like 3

Avril O.
We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" - Matt Smith as the Doctor

"Space is big. Really big." - Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Avril's Respawn

Avril's Epic Quest

I'm on the wobsite as Topper Grey.  The very shortened description is:

For five lifetimes the Withering has been advancing inexorably across the globe, a veil separating life and death. Slow, slower even than the crawl of an ant, but unwavering, and unstoppable. Villages are abandoned, mighty empires are scraped away... starvation and fear push waves of refugees ever further south. 

Five centuries on there is only one nation remaining, Ylam, surrounded on all sides by the Withering. A paltry fraction of the world's population surviving behind magnificent alabaster walls, walls that exist only to keep the desperate masses outside from seeking shelter. Every mighty empire sent expeditions into the Withering, seeking the source of the contamination. None were seen again.

A lone Monastery, poised between the advancing Withering and the huddled remorseless disregard of Ylam, has been preparing for perhaps the last attempt to cross the Withered world. Studying the nature of the etheral malevolence, they believe they possess the ability to counteract its effects, survive the trek, and discover the source of the corruption. 

• Like 5

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

8 hours ago, avril.obscene said:

Is anyone using Novlr for this Nano? I was trying to decide if I wanted to sign up for it, it looks cool but I don't want to pay for it after November, so is it worth using now?

Also, I'm duckiechaos on the Nano site. I wasn't planning on jumping in this year, but why not? I've got a novel in my heart!

I'd never heard of it before so I looked it up. They're offering for free for the month of November so if it interests you, I say go for it! What about it makes it look cool to you and why would it not be cool after November? (Just trying to help you brainstorm. :) )

• Like 2

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

5 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I was thinking about this yesterday, and it has the potential to become a pretty intense two person play. It's one thing to read about mental illness, but seeing a really good actor portraying it takes the whole thing to a completely different level.

I'm actually at a write-in now. First time ever going to one. It's weird. But cool. Anyone else planning on going to write-ins?

Yep, I totally see something like that as an amazing play.

I've been to one write-in but it was pretty meh for me. It was a clique of people and a couple of outsiders, so it made things a little awkward. But this year our area has a lady who works in the local library setting up write-ins every Sunday. I think I'll try it.

How'd yours go? Think you'll go to another? Get many words?

• Like 2

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

My name is mattdh on the Nano site if anyone wants to add me.

• Like 3

http://scrawlcreatelive.tumblr.com

@scrawlingwriter- Twitter Scrawlingwriter- Instagram Scrawlingwriter. Com

Current Challenge:http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71377-The-ABCs-of-Hogwarts-School-of-Witchcraft-and-Wizardry

Lvl. 4 Assassin

STR =3.50 DEX =4.75 STA=5.00

CON =2.55 WIS =5.00 CHA=1.50

Everyone's story ideas are so interesting.  It's so great and inspiring to see people leap in.

Nonfiction how-to about outreach.  I want to share some tools and tips about how to do it and how to keep your head up.

I saw this and thought of all the "survival kits" videos on YouTube.  Uh, fuzzy socks?  I like to wear flowers in my hair?  A water bottle?

If it's writing supplies, just Microsoft Word.  I like to keep an eye on the word counter on the bottom.  I'd like to get into pen-to-paper stuff.  A 99cent composition book can get you pretty far.

• Like 5

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

So, I'm just gonna go ahead and pre-order all your books now, ok? I'm seeing so many excellent ideas for books. I can't wait to read them, so you better make sure you finish! Little encouragement: don't make me all

• Like 5

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

3 hours ago, Alaysia said:

Yep, I totally see something like that as an amazing play.

I've been to one write-in but it was pretty meh for me. It was a clique of people and a couple of outsiders, so it made things a little awkward. But this year our area has a lady who works in the local library setting up write-ins every Sunday. I think I'll try it.

How'd yours go? Think you'll go to another? Get many words?

There were just three of us, and none of us had ever met before, so we didn't have to worry about any clique awkwardness. The awkward part was finding each other, because no one brought a sign. It's a weekly write-in, and I'll try to go again next week after my appointment, but I doubt I'll be able keep going to that one cause I work most Tuesdays. I'm also trying to find other write-ins that are more convenient for me. But so far that's been challenging because they aren't really close to where I live. And I work most weekends, so that rules out like half of them.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

On 10/31/2016 at 1:11 PM, zeroh13 said:

1) Evan Donnelly finally has a place to call his own, two best friends he loves to hang around with and couldn’t be happier with his parent’s decision to stop moving due to work. Every day, he has a new story to tell from his adventures, but his parents become increasingly stressed and more controlling of his activities.

This all comes crashing down when his family express their concerns to him, convinced there is something wrong and start making plans to have him stay with his two aunts while he gets better. Angry and confused, Evan tries running away but injures himself and takes refuge in a small fisherman’s hut for the night.

He awakes to find a girl beside him, a strange creature laying dead beside her, with more on their trail, and they escape into a world Evan would never have believed existed. A world more perfect, and dangerous, than he knows.

(Hope that was okay)

2) My laptop, blank notebook and notes (sometimes), water/hot chocolate/tea, music/movie for background noise. When I get writers block, I will make a drink called The Storyteller (Dragon Age character drink), sit by the fire and get inspired (but I very rarely drink, maybe once a year). 

• Like 5

Weight Loss. 195lbs -> 135lbs (60lbs target loss)

0%
0%

I've written just over 6,000 words now!

My story had characters that changed drastically when I started putting it down on paper. Characters changed gender, changed race, were created that didn't exist, and more. It's been very exciting! It's a modern ghost story, where the ghost is being haunted by the living. The idea is this woman died from an illegal firework to the face. She wakes up dead, and feels tugging, and ends up at her own funeral, where she meets another kind of dead girl (who originally in my notes was going to be an unliked man who was in his mid thirties and wore a trench coat, and is now a 17 year old girl who is bubbly and fluffy and happy). The other dead girl claims she is a Death Coach, and explains that when the living have exceptionally strong feelings about her (like a group of people at a funeral, for example) she would feel drawn to them. She was casually dating two guys before her death (one of which magically became a person of color because I'm in love with Sam Sanders and wanted to write all about his handsome face), and had a best friend (that decided that she had to exist, when she didn't before) that she rarely saw in person. Oh, and two cats, which may or may not be able to tell that she's there. She's not sure, since they act pretty much the same way they always did.

I don't really have a toolbox. I need to have a keyboard of some sort, I'm not comfortable writing on a phone. On my work computer I get most of my writing done,and I'm using the free trial of Scrivener. It gives me locations for all my notes, allows me to keep outlines as index cards that I fill out and can rearrange at whim, and it has a place for character profiles and inspiration images. At home, I just write into a google drive document from my laptop, and then transfer the words the next day. I didn't start with an outline, just a vague idea about a dead girl being haunted by the living, but I have cobbled together some ideas and whatnot and used the index card feature on scrivener to put them in place. If something comes to me and I'm not near my laptop or work computer, I take brief notes on Google Keep until I can transfer them into a document somewhere.

I'm very excited about my story this time around! This could be my year!

• Like 7

Avril O.
We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" - Matt Smith as the Doctor

"Space is big. Really big." - Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Avril's Respawn

Avril's Epic Quest

My story had characters that changed drastically when I started putting it down on paper. Characters changed gender, changed race, were created that didn't exist, and more. It's been very exciting! It's a modern ghost story, where the ghost is being haunted by the living. The idea is this woman died from an illegal firework to the face. She wakes up dead, and feels tugging, and ends up at her own funeral, where she meets another kind of dead girl (who originally in my notes was going to be an unliked man who was in his mid thirties and wore a trench coat, and is now a 17 year old girl who is bubbly and fluffy and happy). The other dead girl claims she is a Death Coach, and explains that when the living have exceptionally strong feelings about her (like a group of people at a funeral, for example) she would feel drawn to them. She was casually dating two guys before her death (one of which magically became a person of color because I'm in love with Sam Sanders and wanted to write all about his handsome face), and had a best friend (that decided that she had to exist, when she didn't before) that she rarely saw in person. Oh, and two cats, which may or may not be able to tell that she's there. She's not sure, since they act pretty much the same way they always did.

I don't really have a toolbox. I need to have a keyboard of some sort, I'm not comfortable writing on a phone. On my work computer I get most of my writing done,and I'm using the free trial of Scrivener. It gives me locations for all my notes, allows me to keep outlines as index cards that I fill out and can rearrange at whim, and it has a place for character profiles and inspiration images. At home, I just write into a google drive document from my laptop, and then transfer the words the next day. I didn't start with an outline, just a vague idea about a dead girl being haunted by the living, but I have cobbled together some ideas and whatnot and used the index card feature on scrivener to put them in place. If something comes to me and I'm not near my laptop or work computer, I take brief notes on Google Keep until I can transfer them into a document somewhere.

That sounds great! It's funny how things start to deviate once you get into the writing. Keep at it!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

3 hours ago, avril.obscene said:

WOW! That is really awesome! I've got about a 1/3 of your total right now. I'm thinking you are right on it being your year!

• Like 2

-Oscar Wilde

Battle Log

My Character Profile

4 hours ago, avril.obscene said:

Wahoo! Way to go!

I love it when the story just writes itself almost. One of my characters was going to be an only child but one day I was thinking about her name and all of a sudden she had an older brother and two younger brother who were twins.

• Like 3

Ranger - Level 7

My Character

Current Challenge

I'm at aboot ~2200 words.  Transitioning between scenes is killing me, and I'm only on the 5th page but I feel like it's just a slow chunk right now. I don't have any other POV's to fiddle-faddle with yet. 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides.