BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe

BlamedCat

Today is also a very special day.  My son turns 5 today!  This is so surreal, I mean I've got a daughter who is 8 (will be nine in December).

Anyway, this is in honor of him.  Isaiah likes Spiderman, sooo...

ZoPBJKmm.jpg

• Like 1

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

Good job on week 1. I hope the birthday was fun.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

@Tanktimus the Encourager Thanks! I'll get a Week 1 summary up soon.

The B-Day was low-key and low-budget, but he had a blast.  I've never seen someone so happy to receive hot wheels and a ream of paper (you heard that right).  He loves to draw, so his aunt and uncle got him 1500 sheets of paper and a book that shows him how to draw pictures via shapes.  Pretty nifty!

• Like 2

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

Week 1 Summary

1. Smashing my sweet tooth.

Application: Go 6 days per week without consuming a sugary concoction. Sugar free is better, but no sugar/chemicals is best.

PASSED

I actually didn't have any trouble avoiding this at all.  I'm rather pleased with myself.

2. Gut my grain intake

Application: Attempt to reduce all grains with every meal, shoot for 3 days without grains per week.

PASSED

I reduced my grain intake almost every day and managed to end up with three days without them!

3. Go to the gym.

Application: Go to the gym 2-3 times a week with a plan.

PASSED

I managed to go twice.  I would have went once on the weekend, but we got super busy on Saturday.  Then on sunday I laid down to take a nap after church and ended up sleeping for 5 hours!  That was NOT what I had planned....

4. Walk at Work (bonus)

Application: 2+ walks a week of 30+ minutes each.

FAILED

I got in one walk, but not another one this week.  This is a bonus goal so it's not terrible if I miss it.

5.Snag more sleep

Application: Get to bed by 10pm at the latest during the work week, try to dial this down to 9pm and see if I can start waking at 5am, so I'm not rushing in the morning. This applies to the following nights, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

FAILED

I didn't realize just how many days my sleep was affected by others.  I failed this rather soundly.

On one point, side, I got to sleep at my ideal time on Sunday, then the rest of the week was wrecked.

On a good note, I managed to wake up with my alarm at 5am without an issue.  There were a couple of days I cited 5:10, but I was thinking more coherent wakeupness than anything.

• Like 1

Summary: W2: Day 1

1. D -> Smashing my sweet tooth.

Done!

2. D -> Gut my grain intake

No, this was not one of those days.  I had tacos and a cupcake and some Cheetos, spread out through the day, but still.

3. F -> Go to the gym.

Nope.

4. FB -> Walk at Work

Nope.

5. LUYL -> Snag more sleep

Nope.  I had laid down after church and lunch for a nap.  Didn't wake up for 5 hours.  That was not intended, so because of that, when it came time for bed, I was super wide awake.  I decided to catch up on some The Flash and then went to bed around 11:15, finally fell asleep around 11:30ish.

Summary: W2: Day 2

Yes! Done!

Score! ZERO grains.

3. F -> Go to the gym.

YES.  I went, even after I got stuck in rain and traffic to swing by there.  Though I had a a complication with my workout routine.  Not sure what to think of it, but I made the most of it.

Date Exercise LBS S1 S2 S3 S4 S5 Diff Progress
11/7/2016 SQ 100 5 6 5 5 6 1 -1
11/7/2016 BP 80 5 5 5 5 5 1 1
11/7/2016 BR 80 5 5 5 5 5 1 1

So you might be asking why I have 100 on my squat and a -1 on progress but I completed it all with flying colors.  I shall tell you why....

So while at the gym, apparently there's a lot of gymbro's that like to do their entire workout at the Squat Racks.  My gym has two.  When I got there, both were open as far as I could tell.  I hopped on the treadmill and warmed up.  By the time I got finished there was some guy at one (or so I thought) and the other one was taken up by the resident, I'm guessing buff guy who claims two machines for a circuit.  Anyway, I digress.  I decided to do my bench first.  While doing that, I realized that actually both squat racks weren't actually being used, but since I was already set up for Bench, why run off, right?  So I knocked out my bench press and turned to grab a squat rack.  One Old Gym Bro was at one, chatting away with some younger gym bro...  then the Buff guy had finally made his way over to the squat rack.. where he did all his squats.  So I went to do my Barbell Rows, had to keep things going.  By the time I finished that, Old Gym bro was finally into his sets... and the Buff guy had stolen the squat rack bar and cage for deadlifts and I'm not talking just 1x5 and done, I watched him for a few minutes as he kept going through sets... THEN he was finished, so I was like "oh here's my chance!"  And I start walking and bam, snagged by someone else before I made it over in time.  So I gave up.  I headed over to the leg press machine and added 15 lbs to what I was gonna be doing free form and decided to knock out what I could there and head home, since it was already late enough.

I get that people gotta workout, I just am at a loss for how to deal with this, IF it can even be dealt with.  I spoke with Janeil at the front desk and ask his thoughts on it.  He said that Monday's were pretty bad for finding time on the squat racks, so I might have to adjust my days or just plan on staying late to get it in properly. I don't know yet.

Anyway, in the end, I got a workout in and I didn't call it quits, so I'd say that's a win. :)

4. FB -> Walk at Work

No walking.  Work flew by due to something being broke, fun times in tech support.

FINALLY!  I got home to relax and talk with the wife and my daughter (son was already in bed), cook some eggs and potatoes, and watch an episode of The Flash (Season 2).  Then I slipped off to bed before 10. :)

• Like 1

On another note, yesterday my wife took our son to the pediatrician for his check-up.  They did all the typical stuff, checking weight and height and all.  Well, while the doc was talking to my wife, she made mention that my son is overweight for his age.  Granted, he carries it really well, but it's gonna be a problem.  She also mentioned that our daughter was looking a bit overweight too.  Nothing alarming, just 'hey, you might wanna be mindful about things' etc.  So she suggested that we put the kid on a grain free or low grain diet (since we don't let them drink soda or eat candy or sweets often) to help curb the weight gain, etc.

I'm shocked and actually pleased by this, not because my kids need to go on a lifestyle change, but because our doc actually isn't the type to just throw pills at a problem.  AND because now this aligns with my goals.  Of course, we're gonna do the Spezzy thing and work through the rest of our pantry and just shift over as we go as a family as a whole.  Good thing is that my wife's sister is also on board.  She understands and now that there's a medical person saying "hey the kids need to eat healthier" she's fine with it. :)

Now, she'll just need to talk with her husband and see what he thinks.  I'd rather have us all on board, but if it comes to it and he wants all his pasta and such that he loves, then we'll just have to agree that he fends for himself with his own stash and the rest of us will go through this together.

• Like 2

Summary: W2: Day 3

Score!

Yes!  This worked out well.  Breakfast and Lunch were good to go and I grabbed a BBQ stuffed baked potato for dinner. YUM!

3. F -> Go to the gym.

Rest Day

4. FB -> Walk at Work

Nope. Rain.

Nope.  I had to take my SIL to work again.  With everything else going on, I stayed up to watch an episode of The Flash.  I think in the future, if I have to take the SIL to work, I'm gonna make it a mental point to just go straight to bed once I get back home.  I'm ssooo tired this morning.

• Like 2

Summary: W2: Day 4

Again, no issues, i've got this in the bag!

I had a delicious sausage, egg, and potato skillet to avoid the beef stroganoff the rest of the family had.  I also got to make enough that I had some for breakfast too :)

3. F -> Go to the gym.

I did the thing and this time someone was nice enough to let me use squat rack! (Yay!).

11/9/2016 SQ 85 5 5 5 5 5 1 1
11/9/2016 OHP 55 5 5 5 5 5 1 1
11/9/2016 DL 105 5 x x x x 1 1
  • Squats went well, I took my time, don't feel much soreness today, we shall see how tomorrow goes.
  • Overhead Press was good, my shoulder was pinching a little, so I'll have to play with adjusting my grip and watching my elbow location.
  • Deadlifts were super easy, I can't wait to get back to 135+ so I don't have to stoop down as much lol.  I'm not going to rush this though.

4. FB -> Walk at Work

Nope.

YES YES YES YES YES YES!! FINALLY, I got to bed on time, even after throwing clothes in the dryer and NOT having to take my SIL to work.  I feel SO much better this morning.

• Like 2

Summary: W2: Day 5

No worries here :)

Same on this one.  Had a baked potato with bbq again, yum :)  (actually half of it, having the other half for lunch today)

3. F -> Go to the gym.

Nope, rest day.  Seems I recovered rather quickly though, still no DOMS.  (I'll make sure I don't do something stupid like injure myself today.)

4. FB -> Walk at Work

Nope and not likely today either due to scheduled meeting this afternoon.

YES!  I lucked out of taking my SIL to work (her husband took her this time before he headed off to his own work).  So I got to bed at 10 :)

• Like 1

Good morning everyone!

Today is a delightfully crisp Saturday morning. [emoji74]I did get my workout in last night and I'll be posting my recap later.

Right now I'm sitting here waiting to pick up my SIL from work so I can be a good husband and let my wife sleep in this morning [emoji106]

I hope y'all are having a great morning too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Friday Workout report

11/11/2016 SQ 95 5 5 5 5 5 1 1
11/11/2016 BP 85 5 5 5 5 5 1 1
11/11/2016 BR 85 5 5 5 5 5 1 1

It's official, our gym doesn't have 2.5 LBS plates, SSSOO I shall be upping weight accordingly :)  I'll just be mindful of the increase and handle it like I did last time if it's a struggle.  After all, if it's one thing I have learned, it's that it's okay to struggle.  That's necessary for growth.

Week 2 Summary

Application: Go 6 days per week without consuming a sugary concoction. Sugar free is better, but no sugar/chemicals is best.

PASSED

2. Gut my grain intake

Application: Attempt to reduce all grains with every meal, shoot for 3 days without grains per week.

PASSED

Reduced to one meal for 2 days and 5 days of no grains/gluten free

3. Go to the gym.

PASSED

3 exercises this week!  Knocked it out of the park AND it felt good to go consistently.

4. Walk at Work (bonus)

FAILED

Nope, no walks this week.

5.Snag more sleep

Application: Get to bed by 10pm at the latest during the work week, try to dial this down to 9pm and see if I can start waking at 5am, so I'm not rushing in the morning. This applies to the following nights, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

FAILED

Technically 3 out of 5 nights.  Sunday night I'd consider a wash since I slept 5 hours during the day, so that would be 4 of 5.

So I'm getting better on this, but it's helping that I didn't have to take my SIL to work as often this week.

• Like 2

Summary: W3: Day 1

None :)  Now, I did accidentally take a swig of my wife's rootbeer while at Jason's Deli today, but that was wretched and I'm not counting an accident like that.

Dinner is dirty rice and chips.

3. F -> Go to the gym.

Nope, rest day.

4. FB -> Walk at Work

Nada.

I ended up taking a 3 hour nap today, so I doubt I will get in bed before 10 tonight, so I'm not expecting to make my goal tonight, but I'll update this accordingly tomorrow morning.

Also, on an interesting side-note.  It seems SIL and husband (mainly her husband) wants to start buying their own groceries.  No ill will there, HE wants to cook for his wife and I'm sure that'll work out just fine for them when it happens (as long as he stays consistent and she doesn't end up having to pick up the slack lol).

That actually takes a LOT of stress off of my wife (and our grocery bill) so we will happily share the fridge with them and let them mark things that our there's.  We'll also be going GF or low grain and totally not have to worry about anyone else.  It's rather quite liberating, TBH.  Not tooting any horns, but my wife and I are very giving and loving people, so we often over-extend ourselves on things like this, so this is good for us in many ways.

• Like 1

Turns out, for Sunday, I didn't get a choice of staying up or going to bed on time.  SIL picked up an extra shift and her husband went to bed at 6pm (he's been very anti-social this week) cause he had an early morning shift.  So I ended up taking her to work.  Then I ended up staying up chatting with friends and got to bed shy of midnight.  Yikes!

Morning thoughts...

Today I'm going to stay home from the gym.  This is for two reasons.

1. Because my wife is watching a new kid for the lady across the street.  My wife is already super busy today as is, but if I can get home at a decent hour and help out by being there to watch the new kiddo till his mother comes to pick him up, or intercepting her when droping off one of the regulars and doing said thing for the new kiddo, then that'll be a big help. (that makes sense right?)

2. I want to shift my workouts and see if a T, Th, S schedule is lighter in the free weights section.:) Can't hurt to try.

Oh and this weekend, I got an unexpected compliment.  My wife says she can tell I'm losing weight.  We still haven't found our packed scales or my measuring tape, but at least she can see a difference, right? :)

• Like 2

Summary: W3: Day 2

None :)

None

3. F -> Go to the gym.

Nope, rest day.

4. FB -> Walk at Work

Cut out early to get home and help the wife.  Turns out she is as efficient as I am and made additional plans, so my surprise was welcome, but not necessary lol.

SIL's husband took her to work, so I got in bed at 10, yay!

• Like 1

Summary: W3: Day 3

No worries here, though I am starting to crave ice cream.  Haven't acted on it though.

Nailed it.  My wife helped out on this for dinner, she's such an awesome lady.

3. F -> Go to the gym.

Did it.  Seems the free weights were just as crowded, but squaters were less, so the switch is good so far.

11/15/2016 SQ 105 5 5 5 5 5 2 1
11/15/2016 OHP 65 5 5 5 5 5 2 1
11/15/2016 DL 115 5 x x x x 1 1
  • Squats were good, but a little challenging.  Though I squated in my blue jean shorts, which felt odd, maybe me lean forward just a bit, but I caught myself. (I will make it a point to hunt down and wash my gym clothes so I can exercise without that distraction Thursday.)  Depending on how I feel on Thursday, I'll either up the weight or stay where I'm at.  Either way, I'm pleased to have graduated to the 25lbs weights again.
  • OHP was good.  Had some pinches on the descending portion of reps, but I managed to compensate (don't remember how), so that it would't pinch near the end of the sets.  I'm still not sure why this happens or what I can do to avoid it.  Thankfully, my left shoulder doesn't have this issue at all.
  • Deadlift was easy peasy.  Nothing to report here.

4. FB -> Walk at Work

Nada.  Left work early again (mainly cause we had a meeting that lasted through my lunch time)

I must be on a roll... SIL's husband took her to work again last night, so I was able to hit the sack around 9:30 :)

• Like 1

Morning thoughts....

Today I'm tired.  After a full night's rest, that means I "did gud" in the gym :)  I'm pleased that my legs, hips, and shoulders are properly sore today, but not to the point where I can't take the stairs, etc. lol.

I'm also looking at this delicious recipe Cracklin' Chicken and wanting to try this.  My family loves chicken thighs, but we usually get the skinless boneless variety, but saving a few dollars might be worth it.  We're getting really tight on finances, so I can't complain about that.

• Like 2

Summary: W3: Day 4

It's all good.  Still craving ice cream, which I could technically have since it's not a sweet drink, but it's that kinda dessert that draws me back to the dessert coffee and such, so I'll stay away.

Nailed it.  Lunch was a low car freezer meal. Dinner was oven roasted chicken thighs and potatoes with asparagus and salad.

3. F -> Go to the gym.

Rest day.

4. FB -> Walk at Work

Nope.  I'm quickly learning that a bonus goal is nice, but not necessary, K.I.S.S.

Shocker!  Another night I could plan my bedtime without interference :)

• Like 1

Summary: W3: Day 5

Done :)

Nailed it yet again.  Woot woot!

3. F -> Go to the gym.

As I said in my IG post, I picked up heavy things and put them down. LOL

I gotta tell ya though, today I am TIRED and sore, but it's SO satisfying.

11/17/2016 SQ 115 5 5 5 5 5 2 0
11/17/2016 BP 95 5 5 5 5 5 1 1
11/17/2016 BR 95 5 5 5 5 5 1 1
  • SQUATS - These were good and tiring.  Right now (the day after) I'm probably going to consider sticking with 115 and not going up 10.  Though tomorrow we shall see how I feel then.
  • BENCH PRESS - This was fun and very good.  I had a little trouble with form, but corrected myself along the way, so I think i'm good to progress next time.
  • BARBELL ROW - These were fine and simple.  I felt a little back pain, but noticed I was rounding my shoulders, so I tucked that in and it all seemed to correct itself.  Good to progress further.

4. FB -> Walk at Work

Nada.

SIL worked a double, so she was already at work by the time I got home, so no need to stay up late. Success!

• Like 2

Afternoon thoughts....

I just participated in a birthday party at work. Had a small piece of cake and half a root beer. That blows my goals today, but it's not terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll skip the daily report for Friday and the weekend and get you the summary as a whole.

Week 3 Summary

PASSED

Nailed the 6 days, didn't get 7 because of the rootbeer I partially drank.  I did bring that 4-pack home and the family enjoyed it with root beer floats.

2. Gut my grain intake

PASSED

I brought in 4 days without grains and the other days minus Saturday, were minimized encounters

3. Go to the gym.

PASSED

I went twice this week (so it hits the goal), but missed attempts on the weekend.  Saturday we went to Trade Days and hung out and napped. Then on Sunday I napped after the kids went down for their nap and woke up to the house empty and my wife having confiscated the car and the kids for a not-so-quick grocery run lol.

4. Walk at Work (bonus)

FAILED

I did get in an hour long walk at Trade Days this weekend, but that's not two walks, so nope.

5.Snag more sleep

FAILED

I got four out of the five days in bed on time.  Though Sunday, I'm quickly realizing is an odd duck, because of the nap that I normally don't plan on, but seem to be getting regularly lol.  Oh well, I'm glad that I'm wrangling in the time on the other days AND consistently waking up to my alarm at 5am now, which used to be a HUGE struggle.

Random Food Update:

Remember that Cracklin' chicken I mentioned wanting to try last week?  Well, I lined everything up and made it for lunch on Sunday.  It was actually VERY awesome.  (I <3 my cast iron skillet).  Though, I think I'll need to make more chicken, two a piece wasn't really enough for all of us.  The thighs I got were a bit on the smallish side.

Summary: W4: Day 1 (Sunday)

Did it.

Did it.

3. F -> Go to the gym.

Missed the gym this day.

4. FB -> Walk at Work

Nope.

Got another nap in, so I ended up an hour late to bed, not terrible, certainly not losing sleep in the whole scheme of things, but at least I was on schedule for waking up.

Summary: W4: Day 2 (Monday)

This went well.  No real worries here.

Mrs. BC has taken a liking to making oven roasted potatoes and chicken with pan seared asparagus and salad.  I can't complain.

3. F -> Go to the gym.

I made it and pushed myself further than I thought I'd be able to go right now.  I'm pleased.

11/21/2016 SQ 125 5 5 5 5 5 2 1
11/21/2016 OHP 75 5 5 5 5 5 2 1
11/21/2016 DL 125 5 x x x x 1 1
  • SQUATS - I was going to stay at 115, but when I got to the gym and warmed up, I felt like I could nail this.  It's getting harder, but that's good.  I didn't go to failure, so that means I'm growing.  I'll be excited to see the 45's on the bar next time!
  • OVERHEAD PRESS - I found an easier way to do this that is less risk of tweaking my shoulder.  Simply sitting down on the bench instead of standing has made a huge difference.  These were exhausting, but good.
  • DEADLIFTS - I loved doing these.  They were wonderful and actually easy.  Now it'll be time to see the 45's!!! I can't wait!

4. FB -> Walk at Work

Nada

Well, I didn't get to bed on time, but it was all my fault.  I lingered too long on the computer (only got on it for less than an hour tbh), but I had to clean the kitchen table and dishes before hitting the sack.