In the House of Tom Bombadil - Calanthia Cobbin finds a home!

Calanthia Cobbin

Edit: My challenge goals have been posted below!

Edit #2: My Final Challenge Scoring has been posted below!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*This is my placeholder for the next challenge!*

Week 0 will consist primarily of trying to maintain and improve on my goals from last challenge, as well as mapping out detailed plans for the next challenge's goals and how I intend to meet them :) 

I'll be on here occasionally this week to check out some of the other challenge threads being posted and then again closer to the end of the week to discuss my goals for this challenge! Happy Questing! 

May your roads go ever on and on,

~Cal

Calanthia Cobbin: Level 3 Hobbit Ranger

Rogue of Stick 'Em With The Pointy End! 

STR: 2.13 | INT: 2.37 | DEX: 4.25 | STA: 11.23 | CON: 11.88 | WIS: 8.72 | CHA: 5.81  

My Epic Quest | Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7thFitbit

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~JRR Tolkien

I'm coming back for more epic hobbit adventures! 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

I'm coming back for more epic hobbit adventures! 

Yes!!! Adventure is out there! And it is currently being monopolized by hobbits!

STR: 2.13 | INT: 2.37 | DEX: 4.25 | STA: 11.23 | CON: 11.88 | WIS: 8.72 | CHA: 5.81  

My Epic Quest | Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7thFitbit

11 hours ago, Calanthia Cobbin said:

Yes!!! Adventure is out there! And it is currently being monopolized by hobbits!

Pesky hobbitses!

200.gif

Keep up the good work :D

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On 10/25/2016 at 6:56 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following.

Thanks! I'm working out my specific challenge goals right now and will hopefully get a chance to post them tonight :)

On 10/26/2016 at 5:05 AM, jonfirestar said:

Pesky hobbitses!

200.gif

Keep up the good work :D

200_s.gif

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Calanthia Cobbin said:

200_s.gif

I'm getting a huge urge read these books again. Sigh.

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

7 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm getting a huge urge read these books again. Sigh.

I'm reading them for the first time now actually! I have about 2 chapters left of Fellowship, but it's taken me WAY too long to finish just because I've been so busy that I can't just sit down and read! I grew up on the movies when I was little and read the Hobbit probably 20 times before I got to high school, but I never had a chance to start reading LOTR until I graduated college and didn't have to read stinky textbooks anymore ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Calanthia Cobbin said:

I'm reading them for the first time now actually! I have about 2 chapters left of Fellowship, but it's taken me WAY too long to finish just because I've been so busy that I can't just sit down and read! I grew up on the movies when I was little and read the Hobbit probably 20 times before I got to high school, but I never had a chance to start reading LOTR until I graduated college and didn't have to read stinky textbooks anymore ;)

I do love the movies! I've not seem them in forever either. I've read the books a few times. People hate me for it but I always liked the Hobbit most :D and fellowship the least but I read fellowship for the first time when I was 11 and it was really too heavy for my fragile little mind. I did most of my reading in high school. These days I am so busy I don't find time to read more than a couple of books a year (once upon a time it was a couple a week!). It must be at least a decade since I last read them (I was in college I think) and now I'm hankering for  a movie marathon and all four books. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Calanthia Cobbin said:

Once you get past the first half of fellowship it gets a lot easier. Brace yourself, the changed a heck of a lot in two towers when they made the movie.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 10/27/2016 at 4:34 PM, jonfirestar said:

I do love the movies! I've not seem them in forever either. I've read the books a few times. People hate me for it but I always liked the Hobbit most :D and fellowship the least but I read fellowship for the first time when I was 11 and it was really too heavy for my fragile little mind. I did most of my reading in high school. These days I am so busy I don't find time to read more than a couple of books a year (once upon a time it was a couple a week!). It must be at least a decade since I last read them (I was in college I think) and now I'm hankering for  a movie marathon and all four books. 

Haha I think that's why I put it off for so long, I didn't want to damage my little mind! and a marathon of books and movies sounds so good right now!

On 10/28/2016 at 0:07 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Once you get past the first half of fellowship it gets a lot easier. Brace yourself, the changed a heck of a lot in two towers when they made the movie.

I've heard about some of these changes but haven't experienced them myself yet... I'll brace myself!

It's Challenge Goal Time!!!

Main Quest: Continue developing healthy habits and begin removing obstacles from my journey 

Goal #1: Battling the Binge Marshes

x6GN3a.gif

One of the things I noticed during my food tracking last month was that I have a tendency to binge-eat during the day if I'm not actively focusing on reducing how much I eat. It's going to take several baby steps to overcome this problem, but the first step I'm going to take is practicing portion control. To do this, I have to set up some ground rules for myself:

1. Stick to one serving size for each meal, especially for snacks

2. At restaurants, I must immediately split my food in half and save the rest for leftovers

3. Avoid fast food, but if I must eat fast food, I can only get the smallest size meal (or even a kid's meal) 

4. Continue tracking food to make sure I'm still eating enough for my workouts 

If I'm still having trouble controlling my binge-urges, then I can also resort to pre-planning many of my meals.

Successful completion of this challenge will earn +3 CON and +10xp

Goal #2: Second Breakfast Part II 

tumblr_miea2hpay81rpm9hyo4_250.gif

I've attempted this goal once before and failed HORRIBLY at it, so here is my second attempt. One of the reasons I tend to binge at lunchtime is because I don't normally eat breakfast, therefore leaving me practically "starving" by the time lunch comes around. For this reason, my second goal for this challenge is to:

1. Eat breakfast everyday

2. Breakfast must consist of more than just a cup of coffee 

3. Have back-up breakfasts ready to eat if I don't feel like cooking

Hopefully this will hold off my hunger for a bit so that I can be a more reasonable person at lunchtime ;) 

Since eating breakfast will help me survive the day with more energy, successful completion of this goal will earn up to +3 STA and +10xp

Goal #3: I Can Carry You!

tumblr_n26jzrlZOi1r503xfo2_500.gif

I had a pretty good workout schedule going, but then it was suddenly derailed when my personal trainer bumped me up from lifting 3x per week to lifting 4x per week, which threw me off and I actually made several excuses to skip the gym for about a week or so. So this month I'm going to work on getting into the groove of lifting 4 days per week, and I'm going to practice doing so regardless of whether my husband joins me or not. Here are my rules:

1. Lift at the gym 4x per week

2. If unable to get to the gym, do a bodyweight workout and/or Steve's hotel workout

3. If A is skipping the gym because he is training for APFT, then I still need to go without him

Successfully completing this goal may earn up to +3 STR and +10xp

Goal #4: We Hates Adulting!

c200d927e4321e853cd5fc75f84b7e6c.jpg

I've noticed recently that it gets harder and harder for me to drag myself up off the couch to accomplish what needs to be done each day, especially to study or clean the house. To attempt to combat the Sloth demon, I have determined a variety of "adulting levels" that I can achieve each day:

Surviving Human Being Level 1: Shower, get dressed, and get my ass off the couch and do the dishes (25% completion for the day)

Thriving Human Being Level 2: Level 1 plus complete all daily/weekly chores, read my bible, and go sit outside for 10 minutes (50% completion)

Happy Hobbit Level 3: Level 1&2 plus go to yoga/bible study/grocery shopping (depending on the day), do my workout for the day, and drink 1L of water (75%)

Successful Hobbit Level 4: Levels 1-3 plus work on my book, study, deep clean of the day, and put on some makeup (100% for the day) 

Each level gives me a higher percentage for each day, which add up towards my total for the month. Some of the levels may also be subject to change if I find that one activity is too easy or too hard and belongs at a different level. 

Completion of this goal may earn up to +3 WIS and +10xp

Goal #5: The Fellowship of the Nerds

6358969603308606541193816327_fellowship.

Another area that I tend to struggle in is posting my progress throughout the week. A Ranger is nothing without their fellowship, and I need to put forth an effort to include you all in my daily updates so that I can find encouragement, as well as continuously encouraging you! Therefore, my fifth and final goal for this challenge is:

1. Post a challenge update a minimum of 3x per week

2. Comment on one other Ranger thread every weekday (preferably a different one each day) 

Hopefully in this endeavor and I can begin to fully integrate myself into the Rangers, my newfound NF family :)

Successful completion of this goal will earn +3 CHA and +10xp

So that's it for now, I need to go study but will likely be back on at some point to check out my fellow rangers! 

~Cal

• Like 3

Delightful goals!! Good for you! I'm following!  :-)

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2022 Books in Progress:

When Strivings Cease  |  Happiness Workbook The Gifts of Imperfection  |  Mistborn  |

3 hours ago, Calanthia Cobbin said:

Goal #2: Second Breakfast Part II 

I have recently found that having a huge breakfast (1/4 to 1/3 of everything I eat in the day) has really helped with cutting down on binge eating. It was a hard choice to make to move food around compensate for it. The downside is that it can take a significant amount of time to prepare. 

Your goals are amazing and I love the tiered approach to Adulting. I think I might need to hire a burglar to come and steal that one ;) 

f2f886c9b3b6433a6c48eb032decb18b.jpg

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

On 10/29/2016 at 5:10 PM, jonfirestar said:

I have recently found that having a huge breakfast (1/4 to 1/3 of everything I eat in the day) has really helped with cutting down on binge eating. It was a hard choice to make to move food around compensate for it. The downside is that it can take a significant amount of time to prepare. 

Your goals are amazing and I love the tiered approach to Adulting. I think I might need to hire a burglar to come and steal that one ;) 

f2f886c9b3b6433a6c48eb032decb18b.jpg

The big breakfast idea is certainly food for thought! Once I get used to eating breakfast everyday I can try that out :) oh and I'll be sure to let the dragon outside so your burglar can have an easier time sneaking in ;) 

tumblr_njqtsfd0S11u9a40fo1_500.gif

On 10/29/2016 at 3:55 PM, SkyGirl said:

Delightful goals!! Good for you! I'm following!  :-)

Why thank you! 

Week 1, Day 1:

Binge marshes - 75%

Not too bad, I did great for every meal except for lunch... My husband and I went out after church to our favorite vice... and I did better than I normally do but definitely not to the standard of the challenge goal I set for myself. I did expect to struggle a little bit with this goal so I'm not exactly surprised... I guess that's why they call it a challenge ;) I'll get better at this one! 

Second Breakfast - 100%

Perfect so far! I don't have much at the moment (it's just coffee and some yogurt) but it's a better breakfast than I normally eat :)

I Can Carry You! - N/A

I don't workout on Sundays... though I did do some nice stretches :)

We Hates Adulting! - 75%

I only made it to Level 3: Happy Hobbit for day 1 because it kind of felt like a lazy day to me... I didn't work on studying or writing, and I barely got dressed so forget makeup! However this is still definitely an improvement compared to a typical day in my life, which involves most of the chores going undone and even a bit of "hissing at the sunlight." Overall, I'm impressed that I got a 75% considering it was a weekend ;)

Fellowship of the Nerds - N/A

Although I did still comment on a few other threads, I'm only required to do so on the weekdays and therefore didn't count it towards my goal for the week. I just did it because I wanted to :)

Sidenote: As I write this, it is currently 10/31... aka Halloween :) What are you guys doing to celebrate? 

Sidenote II: Tomorrow is Nov. 1... aka Day 1 of NaNoWriMo! Anyone participating???

• Like 2

Week 1, Day 2-3 (Monday & Tuesday):

Binge Marshes - 75% and 100%

So Monday was not too shabby, I stayed on track for all aspects of my goal minus the excessive amount of Halloween candy that I consumed... However I'm choosing not to get mad at myself over it, because I honestly rarely eat candy and allowing myself to indulge for one day won't kill me :) Today was better, I managed to avoid all of the remaining candy in the house except for one piece of chocolate after dinner! I did end up having to eat out for both lunch and dinner today (due to circumstances outside my control) which I'm not proud of, but I stuck to my rules and ate the smallest size meals available and didn't let myself get out of control and binge (which is what I would normally have done), so I'm calling it a win for this challenge. 

Second Breakfast - 100% & 100%

Easy-Peasy, Yogurt and coffee on monday, and then I had some yogurt and tea with honey rather than my typical cup of coffee today because I was feeling a little under the weather which later turned into a lot under the weather... more on that in Goals #3 & #4

I Can Carry You! - 100% & N/A

On Monday I went to the gym by myself for the first time, which I posted about in the mini-challenge and was SUPER excited about! ;) Then there was today... Remember how I was feeling under the weather today? Yeah so I planned for leg day today, but got a flat tire on the way in and had to get that changed, then I was feeling sick still so I went home and passed out for about 4 hours in the middle of the day... I'll workout tomorrow if I'm feeling better after I get some sleep tonight

We Hates Adulting! - 75% & 66%

Monday I was actually pretty productive and almost made it to Level 4 adulting... except I didn't do any kind of deep cleaning or writing whatsoever. I did manage to study and even put on some makeup though ;) Which landed me at Level 3 Happy Hobbit. Today was a little tricky, because I had every intention of going to bible study and workout and was actually on my way there when I got a flat tire and spent the next 3 hours at the car shop followed by a 4 hour sick-nap. I accomplished several items under Level 3 and 4, including doing makeup this morning and drinking WAY more than the required amount of water, but then I barely did any of the Level 2 adulting requirements (cleaning, for example). Since I gave it a sincere effort before being incapacitated and accomplished the majority of the items on the overall to-do list, I gave myself a 66% for the day. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be feeling better and will get my act together!

Fellowship of the Nerds - 100% & 100%

So this will be my second time posting on my own thread for the week, and I have managed to check-in on other Ranger threads everyday so far this week, which sets me up to be in good position come this weekend when I tend to get lazy with my posting ;)

So despite being sick today, I would say not too shabby! Hopefully I can keep it up!

Sidenote: sorry for the wall of text!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Calanthia Cobbin said:

On Monday I went to the gym by myself for the first time, which I posted about in the mini-challenge and was SUPER excited about! ;) Then there was today... Remember how I was feeling under the weather today? Yeah so I planned for leg day today, but got a flat tire on the way in and had to get that changed, then I was feeling sick still so I went home and passed out for about 4 hours in the middle of the day... I'll workout tomorrow if I'm feeling better after I get some sleep tonight

You made the right decision. If you had worked out instead of napped you'd be even sicker tomorrow.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

*Whew!* Sorry about that little hiatus there... Apparently I was sicker than I thought and wound up basically bed-ridden for about a week because I couldn't breathe... YAY FOR ANTIBIOTICS!!! 

Feeling MUCH better now and I'm ready to continue this challenge with all the strength I can give! 

• Like 2

Okay, I'm just going to do a real quick little update for weeks 1 and 2, just using percentages and not trying to make a big deal out of how horrible it is... I was sick, but I'm over it now and weeks 3 and 4 will be excellent! 

Week 1: 

Battling the Binge Marshes - 77%

Second Breakfast - 86%

I Can Carry You - 25%

We Hates Adulting! - 74%

Fellowship of the Nerds - 75%

Week 2: 

Battling the Binge Marshes - 20%

Second Breakfast - 100%

I Can Carry You - 25%

We Hates Adulting! - 50%

Fellowship of the Nerds - 13%

Long story short, it's kind of hard to workout, do chores, and go running around to errands when you have pneumonia... but I have no excuse for not logging my food or checking in on my fellow nerds! That was just basic laziness/tiredness. I'll do better next time!

Also I'm in the works of developing a contingency plan for future illnesses so that I can try to stop them before they get this bad, since I seem to get sick a lot. Perhaps I'll post it when I'm done? :) 

• Like 1

So I pretty much let myself and my fellow Rangers down this week. The holidays are a rough time for my goals, especially with family visiting. HOWEVER, I am determined that the excuse-making stops right here, right NOW. 

That being said, here are my final percentages for each goal and the associated score:

Battling the Binge Marshes: 

Score: 49.5% = C = +1.5 CON and +5xp 

Comment: I didn't do so bad on the majority of this goal, however I did slip quite a bit on the food tracking aspect of it which did drop me quite a few points over the course of the challenge. I also gave in a few times to the binge cravings, which most certainly set me back quite a bit as well. 

Learning Experience: Food tracking is going to be a vital aspect of staying on track for me, so this is an area that I will need to master if I am going to have any hope of defeating the binge marshes. I was doing well on food tracking, but forgot some important advice I once learned: Don't practice something until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong. 

Second Breakfast:

Score: 60.71% = B- = +1.92 STA and +6.1xp

Comment: Again, I didn't do too bad on this goal and was impressed that I was able to get the score that I did even with family coming into town. I definitely missed a few days of breakfast here, partly because I simply forgot to eat breakfast and other times because I literally had no breakfast food in the house. Either way, I need to work on this.

Learning Experience: Preparation is KEY. I need to continually have breakfast items available for this to be a success. Once I ran out of yogurt I had to scramble to throw together breakfast each morning, which was highly detrimental to my goals. 

I Can Carry You: 

Score: 12.5% = F+ = +0.42 STR and +1.3xp 

Comment: I'm pretty disappointed in my performance for this goal. I managed to be able to get the the gym by myself a few times, but then scheduling conflicts and general laziness kept me from going pretty much the last 2 1/2 weeks of this challenge, which really killed me. I really need to get on track with my new lifting schedule :( 

Learning Experience: I am entirely capable of going to the gym by myself and do not have to rely on my husband to clear his schedule so that we can go. However, in order to go to the gym guilt-free and distraction-free, I am going to have to start going during the day and studying at night, or else it will never happen.

We Hates Adulting! 

Score: 63.96% = B- = +1.92 WIS and +6.4xp 

Comment: This challenge goal could have gone much worse, though I wish it had gone better. I managed to reach level 3 most days, but really struggled with the motivation to reach level 4 productivity, which was expected since I typically hang around level 2. 

Learning Experience: I am capable of getting up and running errands when I need to, and I am not constrained to the house despite feeling like I need to sleep all the time. I also feel much better on the days that I am productive, so if I continue working towards a productive lifestyle perhaps one day it will brighten my overall demeanor. 

The Fellowship of the Nerds:

Score: 34.38% = D+ = +1.08 CHA and +3.4xp 

Comment: I was really excited for the challenge goal, and I really wish I had done better on it. I will definitely be continually working on this, since it seems to be something that I am still struggling with. 

Learning Experience: I really enjoy commenting on other Ranger's posts, and until it becomes a habit I will need some form of accountability checking to make sure that I am posting and commenting regularly. Organization may be essential here. 

So where do I go from here? Back to the basics. I think much of my next challenge will be similar to this challenge, however I really need to work on my mindset. My Big Why and even some of my overall life goals have changed, so I think it's time to revisit the academy quests and work through those. If I'm going to make Nerd Fitness and my health a priority, I need to really get serious about establishing a system that sets me up for success. 

I can't wait to see what next challenge brings! 

~Cal 

• Like 1