RogueLibrarian works on spider-strength

c30e87daa2cb41e19d120eea61f89e8c7e2912af

This month’s challenge is a lot like last month’s, with one addition -- I want to work on arm and upper body strength, so I’m adding a pull-ups goal. Spider-Man is the king of bodyweight strength, right?

sps48.jpg

Fitness:

• Run/cardio twice a week
  • Strength workout or kickboxing class twice a week
  • Pull-ups 3x3x3: Three sets of three pull-ups, three times a week.

Substitutions permitted for all but the pull-ups. Right now a set of three parallel grip pull-ups is very challenging but possible.

Diet:

• Bring a piece of fruit or similarly healthy snack to work every day. (5/week)

Life:

• Writing: 3+ hours per week (gonna need more than that, frankly), schedule two full research days during the challenge.
  • Meditation daily (7/week) -- I've got this habit 

Bonus challenge:

• Make heavy bag for outdoor gym

This year I've gone from "borderline doughy" to "skinny." I'd like to start approaching "wiry" and someday achieve "sinewy."

funny-meme-spiderman-titanic-Favim.com-2

PS: Gonna officially start this on Monday just because Mon-Sun bookkeeping seems to work better for me.

• Like 11

"We can be heroes"

How is the outdoor gym coming along?

• Like 2

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

3 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Pull-ups 3x3x3: Three sets of three pull-ups, three times a week.

Get it, i tried to do a pull up today and could only get 1 done.  Chinups on the other hand are a little easier.  Our goals this month here are similar.  

Best off luck following as per the norm.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Myrik said:

Get it, i tried to do a pull up today and could only get 1 done.

It's been a while since I've done them regularly. As of yesterday, turns out I can do two (parallel grip) and make an attempt at a third.

What matters to me for this challenge is that I'm working on them. I feel confident they'll get more solid as I go.

I usually go to kickboxing on Wednesday, but I can't tonight, so I'm going to try to get an hour of gym time in this afternoon at work.

My brain just won't fully engage this week, it seems. I'm going to try to get some writing done anyway.

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

3 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

It's been a while since I've done them regularly. As of yesterday, turns out I can do two (parallel grip) and make an attempt at a third.

What matters to me for this challenge is that I'm working on them. I feel confident they'll get more solid as I go.

I usually go to kickboxing on Wednesday, but I can't tonight, so I'm going to try to get an hour of gym time in this afternoon at work.

My brain just won't fully engage this week, it seems. I'm going to try to get some writing done anyway.

I like that you celebrate your progress, not just the result. People often get so caught up in reaching a certain goal without appreciating the growth in your mind and body that happens while trying to reach that goal.

Success is a confusing spiral but it is worth it.

• Like 3

Dark Panther - Adventurer

STR: 3 DEX: 2 STA:2 CON: 2 WIS: 6 CHA: 3

"Laughing myself to a 6 pack or at least at 4-pack"-

Current Challenge:

2 hours ago, ctfranklin28 said:

I like that you celebrate your progress, not just the result. People often get so caught up in reaching a certain goal without appreciating the growth in your mind and body that happens while trying to reach that goal.

Age doesn't always bring wisdom, but it sure as hell has taught me not to set my expectations too high.

Back from an afternoon gym trip. I did 20 minutes of cardio and some weight machines (which I don't often do lately, but just for a change), and a stab at pull-ups. That pull-up goal is definitely going to include some assisted, partial, chin-ups and variations while I get my strength up. That's okay; the goal is to make progress, and I've got some resistance bands I can use at home and my work gym has a counterweight pull-up machine.

I think the shitty fuzzy head I've had all week is either a sign I'm not getting enough good sleep, or I'm getting a hangover from my sleep meds, or some combination of both. I'm working late tomorrow so I can sleep slightly later tomorrow, which may help, and tonight I'll try either a different sleep aid or go without tonight.

• Like 5

"We can be heroes"

14 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I think the shitty fuzzy head I've had all week is either a sign I'm not getting enough good sleep, or I'm getting a hangover from my sleep meds, or some combination of both. I'm working late tomorrow so I can sleep slightly later tomorrow, which may help, and tonight I'll try either a different sleep aid or go without tonight.

No matter what's happening, you should always strive to maintain your fundamentals as best you can: Sleep, Nutrition, Movement, Purpose, and Relationships. It's never an easy thing to balance but it is worth it because you only get one body to maintain.

• Like 1

Dark Panther - Adventurer

STR: 3 DEX: 2 STA:2 CON: 2 WIS: 6 CHA: 3

"Laughing myself to a 6 pack or at least at 4-pack"-

Current Challenge:

4 hours ago, ctfranklin28 said:

No matter what's happening, you should always strive to maintain your fundamentals as best you can: Sleep, Nutrition, Movement, Purpose, and Relationships. It's never an easy thing to balance but it is worth it because you only get one body to maintain.

This is true. I know people who can function on insufficient sleep, but I'm not one of them.

Meal planning: I'm on a late shift at work today, so this morning I threw together a pretty healthy crock pot lasagna. Lots of vegetables, a little cheese.

• Like 2

"We can be heroes"

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Well, I just realized I repeated the same dates four times. That might need a tweak.

So... if you do one week, that's like 4x the actual work and... you win?

• Like 2

Assassin

**Challenges**

Current Challenge: Black Daiquiri is Wonder Woman

Battle Log: Black Daiquiri battles the pink robots

Previous: 1514 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 76 | 5 | 4 | 321