Salty Bends Over Backward

SaltyDragon

Shoes do make a difference, the sole of your old shoes could be a bit worn out as well which brings more impact to your feet. It's great to hear that the run felt better. I'm sure you will find time in week 3 to increase the mileage. 

There definitely is improvement on Camel pose, especially with the top of the feet flat on the mat. Back bends are very challenging, so as you are aware, working on it slowly is the way to go. Good job! 

I wish you a wonderful week 3. :) 

• Like 1

''Do no harm, take no shit.''

Battle Log | Challenges 1 2 

16 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

So, overall a bit disappointing. Nobody stopping me but myself, though, so if I want to be performing at a higher level, I need to just do it. I'm going to make a big push for week 3, and see what I can make happen!

Must have been something in the air for all of us. Right there with you.

Are the poses you're working on chosen from a program or are you picking them at random? I'm working on trying to build some more cohesion with mine, and I was curious. Those are some serious pics, and your running trails are beautiful. I've been missing a lot of the trails that I see a lot of you running on, but I try to make do with what I have. We have a local park and lake here, and it has a mile-long boy scout trail, which is better than nothing. I am interested to see how your running progression works out, as I've been thinking about the same thing for me. I have a general mid-foot strike with a slight heel strike, and I spent my last run seeing if I could do a better job at landing with my feet more directly underneath me.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

10 hours ago, Jormungand said:

Are the poses you're working on chosen from a program or are you picking them at random? I'm working on trying to build some more cohesion with mine, and I was curious.

I try to have some kind of plan, because I'm not experienced enough and on my own I will invariably overlook what's needed to balance out whatever I would choose. If that makes sense. The plan I'm following now targets spinal flexibility, which I've identified as one of my greatest weak spots. The back bends aren't really the goal, per se, I just think they're way cool and impressive. I'm "featuring" them for that reason, but really I'm doing all the work. Crow was a more spontaneous choice last time, but it actually ties in really well with the Elements work I'm also doing, so for that I've kept it up, as well.

10 hours ago, Jormungand said:

I've been missing a lot of the trails that I see a lot of you running on, but I try to make do with what I have. We have a local park and lake here, and it has a mile-long boy scout trail, which is better than nothing.

To be perfectly honest, I really really really miss the mountains right now. This is the first place I've lived in six years without any. There's some "mountains" an easy day trip from here, but nothing like what I had out west or in HI. But, one thing I've learned in my travels is that there is something beautiful and exciting to be discovered everywhere, so yeah, you can more than make do with what you have. I'm glad you're enjoying my new scenery. I'm learning to do the same (fall color blowing my mind, man – never lived anywhere that did that before).

-------

Today, I accomplished exactly what I had planned. Winner! Morning yoga and evening Elements. I'm at or very near 50% on all my goals now, so I'm feeling a lot more optimistic than I was yesterday. As a bonus, I've had some surprising soreness in my quads, glutes and hamstrings all day, and it's not from running! I made an effort to step up the intensity of my yoga and flexibility workouts – I love the feeling that it's working!

Also, a lot of folks are talking about the supermoon lately. It's been too cloudy around here to see much, but I'd love to share this one from last year. I took this photo handheld from the deck of a moving ship, but actually, the impressive part is that it wasn't cloudy on the Bering Sea! I like that – it means anything is possible!

3RMig6k69nH5O-dZyJsmQ0p8YTcP5oCYNnyRdcRQ

• Like 4

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

I successfully made my morning five miler, in spite of a little rain. At least it wasn't cold. I wasn't watching my pace, instead focusing on form, but I finished with a 7:50 average pace. Apparently a pre-run shot of espresso makes you run fast! That, or I just wanted to get it over with... :lol:

After work, I did my 60 push-ups – this time in four sets of 15 with two minute recovery between. Geez, that's hard! But even so, I talked myself into another Elements. Tonight was high froggers (from a squat, plant the hands and kick the feet up over your head, basically). This is one of my favorite variations so far, and it was a lot of fun doing it, and pretty strenuous too. Sadly, after watching the video, I wasn't getting nearly as high as it felt like. Guess I won't be sharing pics just yet!!

Tomorrow morning, another back flexibility workout and then more Elements in the evening.

• Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

15 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

I successfully made my morning five miler, in spite of a little rain. At least it wasn't cold. I wasn't watching my pace, instead focusing on form, but I finished with a 7:50 average pace. Apparently a pre-run shot of espresso makes you run fast! That, or I just wanted to get it over with... :lol:

After work, I did my 60 push-ups – this time in four sets of 15 with two minute recovery between. Geez, that's hard! But even so, I talked myself into another Elements. Tonight was high froggers (from a squat, plant the hands and kick the feet up over your head, basically). This is one of my favorite variations so far, and it was a lot of fun doing it, and pretty strenuous too. Sadly, after watching the video, I wasn't getting nearly as high as it felt like. Guess I won't be sharing pics just yet!!

Tomorrow morning, another back flexibility workout and then more Elements in the evening.

Props on the morning espresso, it's the only way to motivate myself into workout clothes.

I also hate sharing form videos and such until I know they're perfect.

• Like 1

No workout happened this morning – turns out I need to rest and sleep in every now and then. But I've been going pretty hard lately, so I'll allow it...this time. Then tonight I worked late (got a little hike/workout in on the sly at lunch, so that was cool), but I came home determined to finish what I had planned for the day. I got started on the spinal flexibility workout, and I gotta say, I'm finding it really amazing! I've never really got too excited about flexibility before – just kinda knew it was important. But now that I'm really working hard on it, I'm actually starting to see improvement, and I think that is exciting! It's motivating me to try even harder, so I went at it tonight all slow and meticulous, really taking my time and pushing myself to go farther and longer into each position. It was awesome. When I discovered this routine a few months ago (some of you might remember my "Back in Business" challenge), I couldn't really do much of it, so it sorta went nowhere. It feels really good to see that progress now. Afterwards, I finished up another day of Elements, and – just for kicks – closed with a crow. Held it for 20 seconds. B) Hope y'all are having a great day too!

Tomorrow morning, another 5 miler, then probably another Elements in the evening. Got catching up to do!

• Like 2

Level 11 Sea Dragon

11 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

I got started on the spinal flexibility workout, and I gotta say, I'm finding it really amazing! I've never really got too excited about flexibility before – just kinda knew it was important. But now that I'm really working hard on it, I'm actually starting to see improvement, and I think that is exciting! It's motivating me to try even harder

That sounds great!  I am also interested in improving flexibility, and have been doing some exercises from Katy Bowman's Move Your DNA (but half-heartedly; I probably need to incorporate this into a challenge!).  I believe she also has a book about transitioning to barefoot running/movement, which might be of interest to you.   Thanks for posting the GMB spine link too!

• Like 1

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

Hey, I'm new but have been reading your posts about your yoga challenge. It's really cool that your focusing on one asana at a time - how good is the feeling when you hold bakasana for the first time! It was one of the first poses in yoga that I saw and thought 'no way' but if you trust yourself it's completely do-able. Sure you'll be transitioning from bakasana into sirasana II in no time.

How's your work on ustrasana? Your picture shows that you're already almost there in the pose. If you need any adjustment advice (what I can see from the pic) let me know :)

Lizzie

• Like 2

Well done on your progress. It is nice when things start falling into place and all of the hard work we've been putting in starts to pay off. And, I'm right there with you on finding the balance on rest days: I'm still trying to figure out when I'm allowing myself a deserved day off or just being lazy.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

On 11/18/2016 at 9:33 AM, lizziebeth15 said:

Hey, I'm new but have been reading your posts about your yoga challenge. It's really cool that your focusing on one asana at a time - how good is the feeling when you hold bakasana for the first time! It was one of the first poses in yoga that I saw and thought 'no way' but if you trust yourself it's completely do-able. Sure you'll be transitioning from bakasana into sirasana II in no time.

How's your work on ustrasana? Your picture shows that you're already almost there in the pose. If you need any adjustment advice (what I can see from the pic) let me know :)

Lizzie

Welcome to NF – it's always nice when new friends drop by. Friendly helpful advice is always appreciated, in fact it's one of the reasons I post the pics. Bear with me, though. I'm essentially a beginner and don't know any of the Sanskrit names for the positions. Do you mind using my newbie nomenclature along with the proper names? I can follow along easier and will get to learn something new at the same time! :eagerness:

On 11/19/2016 at 4:03 PM, Jormungand said:

I'm still trying to figure out when I'm allowing myself a deserved day off or just being lazy.

I found some insight on this one, heh. See below...

--------------

I had a decent finish to the week. The Thursday 5-miler happened as planned. More yoga and Elements on Friday. On Saturday, I met with a new group for a 6-mile trail run. It was a nice change-up for me. I stuck with the lead pack, and there were some other really strong runners there, but together we kept to a reasonable pace. This was really nice, especially since I tend to run a little too hard on my own lately. What wasn't quite so nice was when I tripped on a root (or something) and took a tumble in front of everybody. I'm generally pretty sure-footed, so of course this would happen running with a bunch of people I'd never met before! Anyway, they were all nice, and assured me that my bail-out technique was most impressive. I scraped up my knee pretty good, though, so it was an epic and bloody finish to the run. Afterwards, I really wanted to get some more miles in for the weekend, so I did a quick patch job on the knee and hit up another trail for about seven more miles. That put me a little over 13 for the day – tired and sore, but happy to finally make up some miles.

Since then, I've done a proper dressing on my wound. It's not too bad, and fortunately it's above the kneecap so it should be able to heal pretty quickly without interfering in my activities. The current tape job limits my mobility quite a lot, though, so no kneeling, squatting, etc for another day or two. Push-ups are OK, but everything else gets a break. Hopefully by Tuesday, the tape can come off.

Alright, let's do this thing...

Week 3 Summary

Run

58.72 miles, goal of 80. I've mostly caught up, but I'll still have to throw in an extra mile or two somewhere.

Push-ups

360 total, goal of 480. Not even extreme klutziness can stop this one.

Yoga

22 points total, goal of 32. Slowly catching up, but there's still more to do. I'm optimistic about the injury, but if it gets in the way, then it gets in the way. I'll work around it as best I can.

Mindful Movements

10 points total, goal of 18. Obviously, there aren't enough days to pull this one out, and the injury will have the biggest impact here. No worries, though. I'll just do absolutely as much as I can.

I've stashed a few progress pics below. Thoughts and feedback welcome.

Spoiler

C_TW8vOjaq2eWA2AXk6tuYIELpgb2WSrGn8D_mRQ

Squat – Left: back rounded, shoulders forward, passively slumping into the pose. Right: back straight, shoulders back, actively holding the pose. Left is more of a resting posture, but still a noticeable improvement over three weeks. Will need to improve flexibility to go deeper. BTW, this is killer on the legs, esp. the quads!!

ttON8cfqHEF30cqMhrrnWg_EFxGyZg-7q6k8vxJi

High Frogger – Kick up into this position from a squat, in fact the squats above right are from a frogger sequence. Left: from first ever attempts, being cautious because scary. Right: hips nice and high over the hands, hips, head and hands more in line, thighs and torso at 90° angle. This one is fun.

Jg27sZ3FglbKvLekGmyZp_EtqZaTaY6F-RTwbqLn

Progress on Crow – Left: probably the first time I ever held the pose. Right: arms are much straighter and shoulders are lower (not "shrugging"). Less rounding in the back, esp. the lower back. Hips high and centered over the hands, better for balance. I can hold for up to 20 seconds, though usually much less.

Lz5jWvei5FOZ0aanr2HwXIL8JWtuu3ewoFEhRvHB

For fun, here's some other stuff that's getting better. Left: standing forward fold. Knees are not locked out, but still pretty good. Still a lot of rounding in the back, but getting better as I learn to "lead with the chest." Shoulder position is pretty good. Lower back flexibility more than hamstrings is limiting here. Right: kneeling lunge. Better than your average runner :D. Hamstrings and hips on the forward leg (and cramps in the rear foot) are limiting here. Balance is still challenging, but improving.

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

On 10/27/2016 at 5:32 AM, SaltyDragon said:

Here's my baseline Camel. This isn't too bad, I don't think. I must have been crazy warmed up, or something here. Anyway, I'd like to get down off my toes, get the arms and thighs perpendicular to the floor, raise the chest higher and deepen the back bend. Shouldn't really be that hard, so it'll be interesting to see where I go with it in four weeks time.

pnJaQ6p9pdZMwiOMjjSiJ6gOQhX0DJ6yJsIPFPXW

14 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

Welcome to NF – it's always nice when new friends drop by. Friendly helpful advice is always appreciated, in fact it's one of the reasons I post the pics. Bear with me, though. I'm essentially a beginner and don't know any of the Sanskrit names for the positions. Do you mind using my newbie nomenclature along with the proper names? I can follow along easier and will get to learn something new at the same time! :eagerness:

Thanks for the welcome! Great work on your progress so far - I like how you've assigned points to your goals.

So, onto the yoga ... Your crow pose before and afters are actually two different yoga poses though a lot of people get them confused for the same. The 'before' picture is kakasana (crow 'kaka' pose 'asana'), the 'after' picture is bakasana (crane 'baka' pose 'asana). The difference in the poses is the arms - arms bent for crow, arms straight for crane. So you've actually learnt two poses - double points! For both poses the hips should be as high as possible with a slight curve in the back (as you have).

A progression from here would be moving into Sirsasana II, a tripod headstand (head 'sirsa' pose 'asana') - where you slowly lower your head, bring your hips in line with your head and raise your legs to the ceiling. It's a bit scary but you'll be able to do it after some practice.

For your ustrasana (camel 'ustra' pose 'asana') - it's worth focusing on alignment before reaching for the full extension of the pose. If your hip is behind the knees (as the pic) it strains the sacrum as it causes the lower back to collapse and also prevents a long spine which you'll need to get the full pose. It looks like your feet may be slightly wider than your knees too. Try this - kneel down with your knees (knees hip width apart and feet directly behind) touching a wall, raise up so your hips are directly above your knees - your thighs and front pelvis should be touching the wall. Put your hands on the lower back and focus on relaxing your glutes and tuck your tailbone under, which lengthens the thighs.  If needed add a little pressure with your hands to push the hips forward to meet the wall. Then lower your hands down the thighs to reach your ankles, or blocks if you need them. The whole time your pelvis and thighs should stay touching the wall - and this is the posture you want to have once away from the wall. When I bend I picture my whole chest rising and opening up towards the sky, focusing on lifting the lower ribs skywards as much as possible.

If you need a workaround with your knee, try bow pose, which is a great back band and chest opener that wouldn't involve kneeling.

I don't know if you do already, but it's also good practice to follow a back bend like this with a counter-pose to neutralise the spine, child pose is easy to move into following camel. 

Phew - sorry for the absolute essay! Hope it's useful to you and your knee heals well :)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, lizziebeth15 said:

The difference in the poses is the arms - arms bent for crow, arms straight for crane.

That's interesting... I'm pretty sure I've seen people using the names interchangeably, even stating they're two names for the same thing. I guess you get what you pay for on the internet, sometimes! :lol:

Thanks for the feedback (and the language lesson). You squeezed a lot of good stuff in there, and I think it'll give me a lot of good context as I keep working. It's hard without a teacher, so knowledgeable advice is really appreciated.

That said – bow pose? Well, can't say I didn't try! But I can say it wasn't pretty, and I didn't get anywhere close. I think we'll save that one for a future challenge pose!

--------

So I tried a little yoga exploration today, to see what I could actually do. The knee moves pretty well through most of its range, just not at the extremes. So squatting, and even locked out bearing weight i.e. tree pose, weren't happening. Curiously, lunges and even some kneeling were doable. Child pose, too. Still, I didn't get too far, so only one point.

Tomorrow, running in the morning, and it's going to be cold. I don't know if I'm looking forward to that or not.

Level 11 Sea Dragon

I've been a bit of a victim of the holidays, like everyone else, I imagine (at least, those of us stateside). I am still kicking, though. I got a good 5-miler in on Wednesday (Tuesday didn't happen). On thursday, Thanksgiving, I drove to Plymouth (cuz Pilgrims) for a fun 5k in the morning, then joined some work friends at their house for dinner with a nice group of their friends, family, dogs and goats. Quite a few other Texpats in the group, too. It was a good time.

Today, I went to explore some more new-to-me local trails for #optoutside. These might have been some of my favorite so far. They aren't great for running – too short and intertwined – but lovely to just get lost in, and even inspired a little spontaneous yoga in the woods.

The knee is healing up pretty good, and only requires a single band-aid now, so mobility is pretty much normal. Good thing, too. I'm meeting the group again in the morning for another trail run. Oh, and it's raining, too, so you know what that means... Puddles!!

bTGDNvk6u86qP37KHddC9_2ocEpkapL_m3h_iqOY

Build bridges.

mrDSrO_vEC79UfaCleKmH1MUKS0vElx-qIDUwZA_

Yep, had to be done.

• Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

Challenge Summary

Run

75 miles total, goal of 80. I ran a 5k instead of my weekday 5-miler on Thanksgiving, then I didn't get any more miles in after the 6 mile group run on Saturday, so there's the difference. The positives are that I'm still running fast and strong, and am keeping the injuries away. I've had pretty good success improving my technique, and I really think that's helped. The negatives, three days a week isn't really enough, and I'm feeling a little aimless without any long-term specifics to train for.

Pushups

480 total, goal of 480. Probably coming out a little stronger, but three sets of twenty is actually a bit beyond my ability to perform with sufficiently short rest periods, and maintaining good form. A progression probably would have served me much better.

Yoga

26 points, goal of 32. The goal was probably a little ambitious, and I was spread a little thin. Weeks two and three were good. One big benefit was that I did a lot of video recording. This helped me improve a few things, but really helped me identify some problem areas where I really need to do some work.

Mindful Movements

11 points, goal of 18. Started behind, then only did one day during week four. This one actually disappoints me. I really enjoy the Elements program and I like the results I've felt from it. If I kept up with it better, I might have improved even more. Who knows?

Challenge pose

Slight improvement. It's not at all comfortable, but there is a noticeable increase in range of motion. Pics hidden below if you want to see.

Spoiler

WIL8qs5xFDGHdWkrdmhbcGD8wqWOEbXg-vhtUkcR

Hips are over knees now. Not a nice uniform curve to the whole back, yet.

Well I'm off to do some thinking – I have a lot I want to assess and evaluate before starting on another one of these.

• Like 4

Level 11 Sea Dragon

Well done, friend. As always, your progress and nature pics continue to impress. I can absolutely relate with feeling a little aimless. I know that there are races that I have coming up in 2017, and I am trying to do more to prepare now so that I don't feel rushed to throw a whole lot of training together last minute and risk injury. You're still doing a solid job of keeping your mileage up and yoga consistent, and I'm looking to draw more inspiration from your ability to maintain your activity levels. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next round.

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Nice job on your challenge. I love the before and after pictures of your poses. The changes as subtle but it definitely shows your progress. I may have to steal that idea along my winding path of yoga adaptations and adjustments. 

Do you have a challenge this round? I just want to make sure I don't lose you along the way. :) 

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]