karinajean hibernates in her own very peculiar fashion

karinajean

I mentioned on another thread a theory that is very attractive, which is that as we pass through fall and approach winter we should expect to do less and sleep more and want to be at home more because it's the season for HIBERNATION.

ok, LET'S ALL BE BEARS.

the_golden_compass_battle_bears_93788_16

my interests are shifting pretty rapidly because, you know, ASSASSIN PROBLEMS.

also experience has proven that I'm not very good at hibernating or not doing everything I want to do.

so this challenge here we go now!

* go to the gym. it's cold and dark and I am not interested in running outside right now. shoot for at least 2x a week at the gym. My husband is in! so this should be easier to force myself out of my nice warm den (seriously we keep the house so cold at night in the winter [because we are cheap!] that it's hard to get out of bed) and head out into the cold to go to the gym.

while at the gym, I will probably do all the weight machines and also some treadmill stuff. we have a 7K to run in December, and I don't want to be caught flatfooted for it... if you will.

LARGER GOAL: the guy who runs my dojo has a weight room and does personal training. He's one of those really kind, goes out of his way to be helpful kind of guys who ends up making a lot of assumptions about what people are going to do and then trying to anticipate their needs. I would like to explore lifting heavy weights with him, but I want to get to a point of some rudimentary capabilities first, because he is so good at revising his expectations I don't want him to revise mine too low when I first start, because that will cause him to anticipate something about me that I am not prepared for. If that makes sense. NOTE it would be a lot easier to pursue this with a stranger, but I am in the dojo 3x a week, and it seems to make the most sense that I do this stuff here. So, next challenge I want to start the dojo weight lifting.

* learn the pull-ups. I'll be 40 in April. It would be cool if I were closer to doing pull-ups than I am now. um. so I can scale a tree and steal a beehive for the honey. or something bear related. this looks like: hanging from a bar and pulling in my shoulders every day I'm home. pull-up assist machine / bands a few times a week, or, pull-up negatives. but the key is REGULAR.

* track my food more carefully. Hibernating bears don't need to eat, but apparently I am a human. I've been slacking on the lose-it logging, and I need to get back into a habit of doing it more frequently. I still am trying to dial in a little on my weight/fitness/bodyshape.

* check in on my goals!  hard learned obvious lesson of the summer/fall: if you don't check your goals, you won't actually do anything to achieve them. DO THE THING WITH THE GOALS. no bear context here. do bears have goals? I mean, beside hibernation?

regular stuff will occur, that being: running outside when I can, doing tkd 2-3x a week, dojo saturdays etc. Ideally I'm active 5-6 days a week.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS.

(RAWWWRRRRR)

• Like 12

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Nice goal.  Following along for the Pull-ups.

Just hit me you are the third person so far with pull-ups as part of their challenge.  Something must be in the air, we all want to climb.

• Like 1

Oooh, time to jump into a new challenge.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

34 minutes ago, karinajean said:

* check in on my goals!  hard learned obvious lesson of the summer/fall: if you don't check your goals, you won't actually do anything to achieve them. DO THE THING WITH THE GOALS. no bear context here. do bears have goals? I mean, beside hibernation?

Preach. I'm trying to do the same. I fell off a bit last challenge without holding myself accountable in some places, so I am looking to tighten things up this time around (Also, I'm not sure if bears have goals because they are already badass enough to be a bear. Where do you go from there?)

• Like 2

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Oooh, time to jump into a new challenge.

giphy.gif

This made me laugh out loud.  My co-workers looked at me like I was crazy till they saw it.  They laughed also.

Yessss! Pull ups! Such an epic feeling when you can do it!! Not that I can and I am already 40 ... but a chin up I can and that's nearly the same right? :P

Take heart with the trainer, he might assess your status better than you think

• Like 2

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Yes! The KJ challenge I was looking for! Following!

sent from my phone whilst exploring new dungeons

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

hi week 1!

16f6d5eaa9f6ca28cf0cb3353bf2a35f.jpg

I have already messed up. I didn't go for a run yesterday. I woke up, and I thought about it, and then I finished reading a book for 1 1/2 hours and then my husband woke up and was like FI FIE FOE FUM LET'S EAT FRENCH TOAST FOR BREAKFAST and so we did. no regrets.

ok what were my goals again?

* go to the gym.

I have tentatively scheduled 3 gym days this week on the calendar. not today or tomorrow. but the day after for sure.

* learn the pull-ups.

I didn't do this yesterday either, but tonight I will hang from a bar.

* track my food more carefully.

wow so my tracking at the end of last challenge was the pits. I'm starting back a little stronger. doing better at checking my logger at least 2x a day (before I would be in bed asleep trying to remember what I've eaten).

* check in on my goals!  YES this is a solid success so far.

today I'm out at a construction site covering for someone. so, I'm trying to get a bunch of walks in, because that's good for you. my lower back is super sore and I have to use portapotties all day. that's the bad stuff. the good stuff is the delicious lunch I brought. and even though I had to wake up at 4AM, when you have breakfast before 5AM you get to eat lunch at 11AM with no regrets.

also of a point of note my weight is trended at 185.2 today. which is down from last week, when challenge ended. WE SHALL SEE IF THIS MEANS DIDDLYSQUAT.

• Like 4

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

8 minutes ago, karinajean said:

I have already messed up. I didn't go for a run yesterday. I woke up, and I thought about it, and then I finished reading a book for 1 1/2 hours and then my husband woke up and was like FI FIE FOE FUM LET'S EAT FRENCH TOAST FOR BREAKFAST and so we did. no regrets.

This sounds like a fantastic way to mess up. :) 

• Like 3

CALENDAR AND FRENCH TOAST!

And checking goals!

Sounds starts to the challenge are difficult for me too, so I get it. *looks at own food log...* 

• Like 2

Assassin

**Challenges**

Current Challenge: Black Daiquiri is Wonder Woman

Battle Log: Black Daiquiri battles the pink robots

Previous: 1514 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 76 | 5 | 4 | 321

Following along! 

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

On 10/29/2016 at 6:00 AM, lucky fire dragon said:

Yessss! Pull ups! Such an epic feeling when you can do it!! Not that I can and I am already 40 ... but a chin up I can and that's nearly the same right? :P

Take heart with the trainer, he might assess your status better than you think

I can never remember which is a chin and which is a pull! I'm going to have to write a note on the wall near my bar.

and .... thank you for this note about the trainer. you're right. I need to get my courage up and make the ask.

On 10/29/2016 at 10:33 PM, Red1263 said:

Yes! The KJ challenge I was looking for! Following!

sent from my phone whilst exploring new dungeons

yes! hello!

On 10/31/2016 at 0:32 PM, Mad Hatter said:

This sounds like a fantastic way to mess up. :) 

don't get me wrong, I am absolutely not complaining. :)

On 10/31/2016 at 3:19 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

ICELAND AND LONDON!

YOU NOTICED! I am so excited. my younger stepsis lives in london and we are going to have american thanksgiving at her house.

On 10/31/2016 at 4:01 PM, black_daquiri said:

CALENDAR AND FRENCH TOAST!

And checking goals!

Sounds starts to the challenge are difficult for me too, so I get it. *looks at own food log...* 

the start, and the finish... and sometimes the middle.... um. challenges can be difficult.

2 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Following along! 

YAY!

2 hours ago, Twilight said:

Travelling and French toast and a bear that totally knows what a swimming pool is for. Yes good.

yas!

this challenge thread is starting out awesomely.

• Like 3

yesterday went pretty well though I did get home super starving and I ate a bunch of potato chips while waiting for my husband and Thirteen to get home from trick-or-treating. ugh.

I didn't get as much sleep as desired, I'm looking forward to some early bedtimes tonight with kitten (husband has his late class tonight).

also, today I had kind of a scare with my dad's health, and spent an hour on the phone trying to figure out how serious the thing that he is in the hospital for is. my stepsis talked to her mom about it, and I talked to my dad about it, and we had totally different impressions and when she called me super upset (she is NEVER emotional like this) it really freaked me out. so I had to step outside and call my dad, and my stepmom, and then call my sister in law who had talked to my stepsis, and talk to my stepsis again. it was a lot of fraught conversations this afternoon and I didn't get my stride back again when I got back to my desk. but, I think my dad is doing ok, and I'll be talking to them a million times a day to make sure I understand what's going on. (they're in Florida, the darn snowbirds, and we are all up here in New York.)

I'm not sure what the next steps are for daddy, but his arteries are super occluded (they've been in rough shape for 15 years) so I sent him a link to this e-book in case he needs to do some research. https://www.amazon.com/Ticker-Lisa-Mantchev-ebook/dp/B00JJZ3QV2

this is one of my Big Why's, by the way. my family heritage includes lots of early and awful heart attacks. it's intellectually nerve wracking. Emotionally, it's just horrible.

ok what were my goals again?

* go to the gym.

not yet, but tomorrow. need to confirm with my husband if he's going, and pack a bag tonight.

* learn the pull-ups.

last night I did hang from a bar. just for like, 5 seconds! I pulled my shoulders / scapulas towards each other. it was hard. our bar isn't the best.

tonight I'm going to tkd so I'm going to jump up and hang from the nicely fixed bar at the dojo for a bit.

I did get all my food in yesterday.

including the chips, and including the candy I scavenged from Thirteen's bounty last night.

So far I'm up to date on my logging, too, and because of that I know that I am really out of calories for today if I don't kick it in TKD tonight!

* check in on my goals!  YES continuing success!

• Like 4

I like your goal of checking in on your goals. I had so many challenges where I forgot what my goals were until the very end.:redface-new: Wait, what I was supposed to be working on goals here?!:lol: Sorry about your dad's health issues, that sounds rough.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I like your goal of checking in on your goals. I had so many challenges where I forgot what my goals were until the very end.:redface-new: Wait, what I was supposed to be working on goals here?!:lol: Sorry about your dad's health issues, that sounds rough.

I know! isn't the point of challenges to hang out here and make friends?

thank you!

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Eesh sorry about the health scare. 

yeah thank you! it was a solid hour on the phone making sure everyone had an accurate story, and to be honest, when I know my dad and stepmom gloss over hard times a lot because they are capable adults and don't want us kids to worry, it's even harder to confirm the story and trust you've got the whole picture.

• Like 1

today is off to an awesome start!

last night I went to TKD and it was INTENSE with special upper belt section of work including lots of kicking and forms and sparring (though I did get an elbow to the nose, and today it's super sore and when I blow my nose it's kind of bloody but I think my pretty pretty face will be ok) and I managed to get a bunch of calories back but then got home and didn't eat too much, so bonus there too.

I packed my gym bag and snuggled in to bed with the cat, though I did stay up a little too late reading (DARN IT I LOVE FINISHING BOOKS [except some books which I love so much I hate to finish them]).

today we went to the gym!

got up at 5, made tea and put it into a thermos, got to the gym by 545. I tried to do all the things but in a way that will not make me horribly sore tomorrow. So, I made some notes on my phone, including where I should increase weight for next time.

Treadmill 2 miles 19:05 (total time on there 25 min) [running on a treadmill is so boring!]

MACHINES

Lat pulldown 70# 8x3 (increase weight next time)
Seated row 65# 8x3
Shoulder press 30# 8x3 (increase weight next time)
Chest press 40# 8x3 (increase weight next time)
Pec deck 55# 8x3 (increase weight next time)
Rev fly 55# 8x3

DUMBBELLS
Triceps 15# 8x3
Bicep curl 15# 8x3

I was thinking that I should actually build out a real routine, instead of just aimlessly hitting the treadmill and then doing all the arm and back and chest machines, so that I have a chance to work in legs too. I also think that I can do supersets with the machines to work in squats and lunges, and that will save time / improve efficiency / get everything done.

* go to the gym.

YES! also confirmed for Friday with husband.

* learn the pull-ups.

I hanged from the dojo bar. I like it better, because it's thinner and easier to grip. I did 4 or 5 hangs of 10 seconds each. it's HARD to hold on to something.

up to date from last night and this morning. I have a work lunch today, so will do my best with sandwich selections

* check in on my goals!  still on it!

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, karinajean said:

I know! isn't the point of challenges to hang out here and make friends?

Totes! Goals schmoals.

9 minutes ago, karinajean said:

I hanged from the dojo bar. I like it better, because it's thinner and easier to grip. I did 4 or 5 hangs of 10 seconds each. it's HARD to hold on to something.

It's really hard. That's why climbers (that train for real not like me) spend a lot of time simply hanging off of icky ledges.

• Like 5
On 10/28/2016 at 0:04 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

38a59be4c1686a8812647814e6b279cd.jpg

This is just the best thing ever.   <3  Thank you

And KJ!   Have I mentioned that I HATE how the new forums work as far as following your followed peeps and checking in on threads you've posted on?  Because it doesn't work.  Like ever.   And it makes me BEARY angry!

Anime-Bear-Flips-His-Table-Full-Of-Food-

But I have you now!  

I like your plan twin.   I too need the tracking and the consistency and the fighting off the hibernation summons.    Go figure heh.     What with being twins and all.   (And we're only 5 months apart in age!  It could be a thing!)    Hee.   Your plan for pull ups is really good, I did really well using the bands for help.   And lately, I've been doing slow negatives and stopping to hold in my weakest point (which is oddly right at the bottom).

Sorry about the health scares you're family is working through.   All the TP&V your way chica.    And I totally get you on your BIG WHY.   Very much the same over here; heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc.    We're going about it the right way though.   The best offense is a good defense that is made out of being offensively aggressive with our health goals?   >.>   Something like that.

• Like 3

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81