FlyingJen really means it this time...

FlyingJen

So I totally dropped the ball on the last challenge. I love autumn, but I also tend to hit a big mental-health rut this time of year as it gets darker and colder. I've been awful about exercising and meditating regularly lately, which is unfortunate as those are things that help keep me feeling ok. This year it kind of crept up on me slowly so I didn't even realize I was getting progressively more and more miserable until I had a total meltdown yesterday. 

Goals this time around (keeping it really simple as I tend to be overly ambitious and then get frustrated/unmotivated)

1. STRETCH AND WATCH VIDEO TUTORIALS. One of my goals last month was to focus on stretching more, specifically my splits. I was horribly inconsistent with this. Another thing I've been meaning to do is spend more time watching online tutorials on Lynda.com since I have a subscription that I barely use. I realized that if I stretch while watching tutorials I'm more interested in both and it's super efficient to get two things done at once. 

2. MEDITATE AND USE SUNLAMP EVERY DAY. I've been meditating fairly regularly for over a year, and when I do it consistently it noticeably improves my mental health. I am more able to stop myself from getting into negative thought loops and downward spirals and to realize that I can acknowledge a bad mood without feeding it. And since it's getting darker it's time to get out my bluelight sunlamp and use it as part of my meditation. I also need to start using my light alarm clock (it gradually starts getting light before the alarm goes off). 

3. LESS NAPS. This has been a perpetual struggle for me. I work from home and often hit a big energy slump in the afternoon and take a nap, which always ends up being about 2 hours. I rarely wake up feeling better afterwards as my brain seems to reset to kind of depressed, which negates whatever exercise, etc. I've done in the morning to get myself in a good mood. I also am much more productive if I do stuff during those two hours and obviously sleep better at night. My goal is no more than one nap per week. 

Just for funsies, here is the video of my trapeze performance that was part of my last challenge! There were some serious weather challenges but I'm happy with it overall. 

• Like 4

Oh wow :love-struck: what an amazing performance!! And with this wind :o

Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Following for all the light and stretches and not napping :) You got this!

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Beautiful performance! Following! I'm thinking about getting myself a sunlamp, especially now I'm going to third shift I'll be sleeping during the day. What kind do you use?

Current Challenge : Ohlemontine Grindin'

str    ??  |   dex  ??  |   sta   ??  |  con  ??  |    wis  ??  |  cha  ?? 

Mistry  |  Level 1  |  Assassin  |  Half-Elf 

Heh, I just commented on your last challenge before seeing this one. Oops. Still, yay for coming back, and I very much like the "keep it simple" plan. I'm gonna second onlemontine's question on what kind of sunlamp do you use? I have daylight spectrum bulbs throughout the house, but winter blahs still creep in as the sun goes away. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

I like tracking completion of goals/tasks on paper. I added a new page for November's new goal of Stretch & Learn. I had a page where I was trying to track and limit my time spent on Facebook, but it wasn't really working that well for that particular thing for some reason. So I changed it into a new No Nap page. And I added some more color to my Meditation log just for fun. There is some blank space to the right of the Stretch & Learn grid where I plan to keep track of the videos I watch.

Naplog.jpg

StretchLog.jpg

MeditationLog.jpg

13 hours ago, Minna said:

Following! I'm impressed with your organization. Writing things down does so much for self-accountability.

After a long period of trying various digital methods of organization and accountability, I finally came back to good old pen and paper. Since June I've kept a book that I check in with every morning and track my mood, food eaten (not counting calories or anything, just what I made for dinner each day), meditation, exercise, books read, tv/movies watched, and a separate section for daily tasks and goals. It's been super helpful! 

• Like 1

Monday October 31. (all three goals met)

1. STRETCH AND WATCH VIDEO TUTORIALS.  Stretched for 40 minutes while watching a "Creative Inspirations" course on Ron Crabb, Digital Illustrator (https://www.lynda.com/Photoshop-tutorials/ron-crabb-digital-illustrator/690-2.html). I do digital artwork, but in a very different way than this, so it's interesting to see other things that can be done with Photoshop, etc. Proud of myself for actually completing this session as I was fairly well established on the sofa after the last trick or treater stopped by. 

2. MEDITATE AND USE SUNLAMP EVERY DAY. Meditated 20 minutes in morning. Did not use sunlamp as I found an actual patch of sunlight to sit in. Spent lots of time outdoors yesterday soaking up the sun too, which felt great and improved my mood. 

3. LESS NAPS. Definitely hit a point in the afternoon where I felt tired, but pushed through it. I had a lot of work to catch up on and then I walked two miles round trip to the grocery store to get ingredients for my traditional Halloween meal of chili and corn muffins.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, FlyingJen said:

Did not use sunlamp as I found an actual patch of sunlight to sit in. Spent lots of time outdoors yesterday soaking up the sun too, which felt great and improved my mood.

Jealous. :) Glad you got time in the real thing!

• Like 1

Tuesday November 1. (all three goals met)

1. STRETCH AND WATCH VIDEO TUTORIALS.  About to stretch for 30 minutes before heading off to bed.

2. MEDITATE AND USE SUNLAMP EVERY DAY. Meditated 20 minutes in morning with sunlamp. Dozed off briefly. Oops. I usually use the Insight Timer app with music for meditating, but have started setting an alarm for one minute after the allotted meditation time in case I do doze off. Some of the music has an ending bell but some of it just fades out, which isn't good if I'm really in the zone or have fallen asleep! 

3. LESS NAPS. Pushed through the tired zone and got lots of work done so I can go play on the flying trapeze and hiking outdoors tomorrow instead of doing work!  

• Like 1
On 10/31/2016 at 11:07 PM, FlyingJen said:

After a long period of trying various digital methods of organization and accountability, I finally came back to good old pen and paper. Since June I've kept a book that I check in with every morning and track my mood, food eaten (not counting calories or anything, just what I made for dinner each day), meditation, exercise, books read, tv/movies watched, and a separate section for daily tasks and goals. It's been super helpful! 

I wish I could find a method of organization that works for me. Everything I try I use for like a day or two, and then it becomes too much hassle. I'm thinking on setting up some templates in a program and just printing out the pages to fill in by hand, but when I set down to try and do that I get irritated that it's not turning out the way I want it... too much of a perfectionist. 

I really like your logs though, and your goals are awesome. Keep it up!

• Like 1

Current Challenge : Ohlemontine Grindin'

str    ??  |   dex  ??  |   sta   ??  |  con  ??  |    wis  ??  |  cha  ?? 

Mistry  |  Level 1  |  Assassin  |  Half-Elf 

Wednesday November 2. (all three goals met)

1. STRETCH AND WATCH VIDEO TUTORIALS.  30 minutes stretch complete. I'm trying to stop whatever I'm doing at 10pm and stretch for at least 30 mins before bed. I really struggle with going to bed at a reasonable time, so I figure this is a good starting point for a winding-down evening routine. There was a 63-year old woman at my flying trapeze class today who had a full split, which was pretty inspiring. I just turned 39, and there's a voice in my head sometimes that says "oh it's too late, you'll never get a split or be flexible!" But if a 63-year old can do a split then so can I! I just need to work on stretching consistently. 

2. MEDITATE AND USE SUNLAMP EVERY DAY. Had to head out right away in the morning to go to flying trapeze class, so my usual morning routine got completely ignored. I'm just not capable of getting up early to meditate. If I have to go out in the morning I usually leave just enough time to do the minimum stuff and get out the door on time. So then I often forget to work in my morning things (meditation, art journal, walk) in later in the day. Meditated for 15 minutes in the evening when I got home. Did not use sunlamp because I was outside in the sun a lot today.

3. LESS NAPS. Was out all day so didn't have the usual post-lunch energy slump. I was tempted to take a 15 minute nap when I got home but meditated instead. It was pretty great actually and I felt more energized afterwards. I've thought about using meditation as a nap alternative, but I'm afraid that if I'm in a very low-energy place I'll either accidentally fall asleep or use it as a sneaky segway to napping. 

7 hours ago, ohlemontine said:

I wish I could find a method of organization that works for me. Everything I try I use for like a day or two, and then it becomes too much hassle. I'm thinking on setting up some templates in a program and just printing out the pages to fill in by hand, but when I set down to try and do that I get irritated that it's not turning out the way I want it... too much of a perfectionist. 

I really like your logs though, and your goals are awesome. Keep it up!

Thank you! Once you find the thing that works for you you'll know it! I've gone through so many different things it's ridiculous. I had to find a specific size and type of moleskine book for mine to really click. 

Thursday November 3. (all three goals met)

1. STRETCH AND WATCH VIDEO TUTORIALS.  Stretched for 30 minutes, watched digital illustration tutorial. 

2. MEDITATE AND USE SUNLAMP EVERY DAY. Morning routine override again this morning as my partner took the day off and we went out for breakfast. But I did 20 minutes of meditation with sunlamp when I got home. Which is progress, because I tend to just blow off my morning things if I can't do them first thing in the morning instead of trying to fit them in later in the day.

3. LESS NAPS. Didn't even occur to me to take a nap today. By the time I was done with breakfast/meditation/etc., I really needed to get going on my work for the day. Didn't eat lunch because breakfast was huge and kind of late, so no post-lunch slump! 

• Like 1

Friday November 4. (two out of three definitely met, one mixed success)

1. STRETCH AND WATCH VIDEO TUTORIALS.  About to stretch for 30 minutes and watch digital illustration. It's taking a lot of determination to make this happen as I'm tired and just want to keep reading my book, but I'm also sore from aerials class and stretching will help!

2. MEDITATE AND USE SUNLAMP EVERY DAY. Morning routine override again this morning-drove my partner to work and then to one of the two circus schools I go to. Practice for 1 hour (messing around on lyra, a few rope climbs, some freestanding handstand attempts), then class (trapeze) for one hour. Meditated in my hammock in the sun for 20 minutes once I got home.

3. LESS NAPS. Dozed off in my hammock at the end of the meditation, but did wake up when my timer went and didn't fall asleep again even though I stayed in the hammock reading for another 20 minutes. I can't believe that it's warm and sunny enough in freaking November to be outdoors in my hammock! Did doze off this evening while sitting in my comfy office chair reading. My parrot was sitting on my shoulder too, and just sat there the whole time I was asleep! I don't think it was for very long, maybe 30 minutes at most. My main concern with this nap thing is not zonking out for multiple hours in the afternoon, so I'm calling this a moderate success I guess. It's definitely not good to be napping in the evening though as it'll make it harder to fall asleep when it's actually bedtime!

2016-11-04-14.11.28.jpg

• Like 2

Saturday November 5. (two out of three goals met)

1. STRETCH AND WATCH VIDEO TUTORIALS.  So last night I actually ended up not stretching. Just as I was about to get started my partner wanted to watch a movie so I did that instead. I should have stretched while watching the movie but I didn't. So I did an hour of stretching/tutorial video watching tonight to make up for skipping it last night. I wanted to make an apple pie tonight and even though I generally think that multitasking just means doing more than one thing badly, I decided to peel and cut the apples while stretching. This was kind of bad because it limited the stretches I could do, but also found myself staying in a stretch longer because I had positioned the cutting board kind of far away so I had to stretch to get to it. I definitely didn't pay such good attention to the video during this though, so I won't be making food prep while stretching and watching videos a thing!

2. MEDITATE AND USE SUNLAMP EVERY DAY. Did not use sunlamp as I went for a 1.5 hour walk this morning in the sunshine. Have not yet meditated, plan to do so in the bath later tonight which is extra relaxing!

3. LESS NAPS. Napped for about 30 minutes in the afternoon. My plan is to allow myself one nap per week, preferably on a weekend day. Happy that I managed to keep it to 30 minutes even though I wanted to sleep much longer. 

• Like 1

Man, that hammock looks super cozy. I know what you mean about the weather being odd - my tomatoes have put out a new crop this month. Not that I'm complaining about fresh food, but it just feels weird to be enjoying November. :) Enjoy it while it lasts!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Man, that hammock looks super cozy. I know what you mean about the weather being odd - my tomatoes have put out a new crop this month. Not that I'm complaining about fresh food, but it just feels weird to be enjoying November. :) Enjoy it while it lasts!

Wow, that's crazy! Hooray for more tomatoes, but it's still weird...

Sunday November 6. (weekends are tricky!) Got lots of other things done today but none of my goals. Weekends are always my sticking point when I try to develop new habits! I'm really good at sticking to a routine during the week but not so much on weekends.

1. STRETCH AND WATCH VIDEO TUTORIALS.  Didn't happen.

2. MEDITATE AND USE SUNLAMP EVERY DAY. Didn't happen.

3. LESS NAPS. Napped for 2 hours in afternoon. Was feeling a little sick-ish in the morning, probably just allergies but who knows. Thought a nap would make me feel better but it didn't. It never really does!

Monday November 7 (mixed bag)  

1. STRETCH AND WATCH VIDEO TUTORIALS.  Stretched in a somewhat haphazard fashion while finishing a movie I was watching. Trapeze class tonight so not much time in the evening. Did not watch a tutorial.

2. MEDITATE AND USE SUNLAMP EVERY DAY. Did 30 minutes of meditation with sunlamp, which is longer than I usually do and was pretty great. 

3. LESS NAPS. Napped for 30 minutes in afternoon. Which means that's my nap day for the week- no more naps! 

• Like 1

Haha, I couldn't figure out what happened to my post for Monday, then I figured out that I had copied the post for Sunday and just forgotten to change the date! 

Tuesday November 8 (mixed bag)  

1. STRETCH AND WATCH VIDEO TUTORIALS.  Nope. I usually do this in the evening, but I didn't because I was watching election results and attempting to do work.

2. MEDITATE AND USE SUNLAMP EVERY DAY. Did 20 minutes of meditation with sunlamp. 

3. LESS NAPS. No nap! Got lots of stuff done instead.

Wednesday November 9 (election-related depression total fail)  

1. STRETCH AND WATCH VIDEO TUTORIALS.  Nope. I did at least get myself to Ballet for Aerialists class at circus school.

2. MEDITATE AND USE SUNLAMP EVERY DAY. Nope. I usually do my meditation in the morning but just forced myself to get through whatever urgent work I had for the day instead.

3. LESS NAPS. Zonked out on the sofa for a couple of hours in the afternoon, spent the rest of the afternoon watching two episodes of Black Mirror and eating a bowl of popcorn. Totally giving myself a pass on this one. Just couldn't deal. Today was the first day in three years of working at home that I minded at all being alone all day. Basically gave myself the day to wallow, but back to it tomorrow. 

In good news, I managed not to let my angst over the election spiral out of control and into more personal depression. I think doing meditation nearly every day is helping so much. I'm being pretty hyper-vigilant about my thought patterns right now and so far it's ok. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, FlyingJen said:

In good news, I managed not to let my angst over the election spiral out of control and into more personal depression. I think doing meditation nearly every day is helping so much. I'm being pretty hyper-vigilant about my thought patterns right now and so far it's ok. 

I posted in my own thread about this just now. Bravo for following your thought patterns - I find that with depression and anxiety, just being aware of how you get from A to B to OMGWTFBBQ!!!1!! is half the battle.

• Like 2
Level 10 Ranger | Respawned
Challenges 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Peers: Chronologically Blessed