Rhovaniel goes all in!

Rhovaniel

I know, I know... small changes beat out big changes 9 times out of ten (or 99 times out of 100 according to the Academy). But I've tried that and I'm finding that it just isn't working for me. I find my brain uses it as an excuse to slack off and not try so hard. Nutrition has taken the biggest hit for me, because I wasn't focusing on much more than liquid calories, it was easier to rationalise eating chocolate. Daily. Or twice daily. Argh!

Anyway, my schedule isn't actually too full, but the stress levels are rising. Uni assignments are coming in thick and fast, my dissertation is stalling, and I am at a complete and utter crossroads in my life where I just realised that not only do I not have a clear plan for my future career beyond maybe taking a Masters (and to be honest, that's mostly to buy me some thinking time), but I don't really know myself that well anymore. I can't think about what my interests are and what I want to do with my life because I'm not sure of the person I am anymore. Am I the fragile, weak schoolgirl I used to be, hiding behind books so I didn't have to face the world? Am I really a "healthy" type, going to the gym though to be honest, I've no real idea what to do beyond the exercises in the Academy? I find the person I used to be is alien to me, but also the person I am now is confused and uncertain and hesitant. Even to the point of questioning wether or not I really see myself writing novels one day, and that, at one point, was the dream I was most certain of. 

So, rambling aside, this challenge cycle is more to kick start my brain to think about what it is I want, and who I really am. I know, that sounds corny and all, but I figure I really need to sort this out, or I'm going to end up dissatisfied and drifting in life. Or god forbid, still stuck in my part-time uni job forever. To achieve that, I am going to give my life the shake-up it needs. No more slacking, no more excuses. The softly, softly approach is over.

A note on rewards: Having had a look at my bank balance, I can spare some money on new gear that will help level up my life. Things like a FitBit, some new trainers, a haircut i've been meaning to get around to, to make working out easier. It's too long right now. But I have to earn these things. 

Exercise:

- Go to the gym 3 times a week. 4 is a bonus (but I will be aiming for 4. 3 is just in case I am biting off more than I can chew)

Rewards: 3 x week: £5 per completed week  for new gear 4 x week:  £8 per completed week.   Anything less than 3: Nothing.

Nutrition:

I'm following the 80/20 rule of for this. I variance day a week

- Main meal of the day to consist of 1/4 protein, 1/4 carbs, 1/2 vegetables.

-Chocolate only on variance day (this is gonna be the hard one)

- Except on variance day, no more take out mochas and lattes (even pumpkin spice ones). Go for tea. 

- Rest of meals to follow the 1/4, 1/4, 1/2 rule as much as possible, but at any rate carbs should be kept in check. 

Rewards: Pass or fail because this is so important to get right, per week to keep up motivation. Pass the week: £5 per completed week.  Fail the week: Nothing

Life:

Uni is necessarily my first priority right now. But I have to work on my work\life balance too. Uni is work. Life is my interests and mental wellbeing. I figure the best way to get to the heart of what I want to do and who I am is twofold: meditation (Never tried it before, but I'm hoping it will help reduce my stress levels as well as potentially help me figure out "me") and reading. I used to love reading but somehow I've lost that spark, in amongst all the academic articles I read for uni, the books I scan just to get the quotes needed or to figure out the argument the historian is making and wether I agree.... I need to read for pleasure again. So,

- Read a chapter of a book for pleasure (completely unconnected from any of my courses) each day. Find the time. Make the time. 

- Work on finding out what I want, setting aside time each day to figure this out. Starting with meditation. I'll have a look around, see wether guided meditations would be a good start, or just try to sit still and calm the monkey brain. Start at a few minutes and work my way up. Read biographies that interest and inspire me. Try new hobbies and generally get out of my comfort zone. Maybe a rock climbing class at my gym, or something of that nature. Just something to jump start my brain into figuring out what I like and want to pursue. 

Reward: To be honest, my mental health will be my main reward for this one. So, I'm not attributing it anything else. 

• Like 6

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: Rhovaniel looks Inwards, to change Outwards

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26

These times of transition and self-re-discovery are always so scary and tough when you're in the middle of them, my friend, but I am honestly so very excited to see what version of @Rhovaniel emerges on the other side! No matter what your new self looks like as you grow into her - new haircut, new fit and healthy body, new levels of self-control in eating, new vision and goals for her life - the "real you" on the inside will still be the same you, just a stronger and more vibrant version of the past. The things you learned and did in years past are still with you as tools and knowledge capital to be used in the present. And the new you is going to be someone that the old you would have looked up to and admired. You have totally got this!!

Following, as always, to watch your awesomeness unfurl!

original.gif 

tumblr_mbhgql2shY1qh7iyuo5_250.gif

tumblr_mbhgql2shY1qh7iyuo6_250.gif 

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 47

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

SO much of this speaks to me from my time in uni. I think the meditation can be definitely useful. For me the real revelations come after the meditation. I hear you on the reading too. I am trying to make sure I read more. I always want to finish more book but get so distracted!

• Like 1

Level 11 Hobbit Brewmaster

Half Ranger, Half Druid, Completely Ridiculous

Instagram

Current Challenge: Mizbrek Studies with the Order of the Broken Temple

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

I didn't get the kinds of things you are talking about figured out until my 30's, well after I'd had two masters degrees. You don't have to have your life figured out by the end of the challenge. Having said that, spending time reevaluating your self image and sense of identity is a good and healthy pursuit so I'd put more energy into figuring out who you are instead of what you want.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

You guys give me a lot of hope. Hope that maybe things will work out even without a definite "plan" or "goal" for the future. Maybe figuring out who I am now will naturally lead me to take choices that I know are in line with my personality and interests. So that whatever I end up doing and wherever the journey of Life takes me, it's still a life that I love, that fulfils me, that makes me happy and content. It's just so hard to break the mentality drummed into me (and I suspect a huge proportion of everyone else) that I should have my career plans all figured out by the time I left school. That at 16, I should have it all down. Then, when I spent the few years adrift, the pressure was on to stop wasting my life. In the end, I truly think my heart took the steering wheel, just once to get me clear of the pit I was falling into, and I somehow managed to get into a History degree. It's not easy, but I realise that easy does not equal enjoyment. I love my course. Though it feels completely alien to me at the moment, I think that if I can figure out what my heart wants and needs, she'll steer me in the right direction no matter what. No matter the near weekly barrage of emails and other "careers help" stuff they push on the third years to help us make up our minds about a career. It's like being back at school again. 

Anyway (sorry, those ramblings are becoming far too frequent). 

Week 1, Day 1

Nutrition: Due to the fact that my fridge is still full of unhealthy stuff, yesterday was an unintentional variance day. But it just means I have to be absolutely on point the rest of the week. It'll be a good exercise in self-discipline and forging new, healthier habits. Going to do a mini-shop today without the bf (who isn't always as keen on my "health kicks") so I don't have an excuse to put a foot wrong. 

Exercise: No, but I have a gym session planned for later.

Life: Meditation didn't really go so well, but it was just before I went to sleep so maybe I need to be more alert. My brain wouldn't stick with it. Will try again this morning. 

In terms of reading, I'm actually reading two. The first is "The road to middle-earth" by Tom Shippey. It's more academic, talking about the way Tolkien's academic interests and pursuits led to him writing all his Middle-Earth works. Interesting, but not really a relaxing read as it makes me think a lot. The second is a thriller. Read at least four chapters last night. Definitely a goal I'm keeping. 

• Like 4

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26

Week 1, Day 2

Exercise: 13 mins (Just over 5k) on a stationary bike, because I need to build endurance as well as strength. Will lengthen this over time. Then,

(3) 10 x 8 kg (4 kg dumbbell each hand) OHP. Last set got a little wobbly, but I did it. Felt pretty good.

(3) 10 x 4 kg (2 kg dumbbell each hand). My friend couldn't make it, so honestly I have no idea if I was leaning too far forward or not.

(5) 10 x 4 kg (only used one dumbbell at a time) dumbell rows. 10 each side. I really like these for some reason, and I knew I had more in me, hence the extra sets. 

3 x 30 second planks. 

Each set had a 30 second rest in between. It's a good start for me, but I have plans to be back in the gym tomorrow so I need to figure out the whole work/rest ratio. Might try working on the rowing machine predominantly and lower leg stuff like lunges. Ugh. Not my favourite, but my arms may protest if I make them work again before Wednesday. I'll throw one arm exercise in maybe, just for balance, like I did with the squats today. Squats are also on tomorrow's agenda. 

Nutrition: Overall, pretty decent. 

Breakfast was just an orange and black tea (I'm finding if I drink mildly flavoured teas like Earl Grey I don't really want any milk). Had to rush to my driving lesson, which went pretty well. Just wish my instructor wasn't so dramatic all the time. (Tiny little point to make about my braking, or not doing something soon enough and his arms go into overdrive "explaining". Gets kinda irritating.)

Lunch: Peanut butter on toast. Glass of water. Didn't fancy much else, which was just as well because after the gym, I was ravenous and ended up eating a rainbow chicken salad at uni (chicken, lettuce, lentils, orzo pasta pomegranate seeds) and a nak'd bar. 

Dinner: Used a thai spice with garlic pepper on some chicken thighs and drumsticks. Came out spicy and amazing and YUM!  Had a few white potatoes, then plenty of carrots and some sprouts to round it out. First attempt at the 1/4, 1/4, 1/2 balance I'm aiming for. Maybe had one or two more potatoes than I should have done, but hey. Progress. 

Life: I will meditate soon. And I absolutely will read another chapter of one of my books before bed. Just trying to get this essay that's been hanging over my head for weeks now. Still not done, but I'm pushing on. 

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

On October 31, 2016 at 3:36 AM, Rhovaniel said:

You guys give me a lot of hope. Hope that maybe things will work out even without a definite "plan" or "goal" for the future. Maybe figuring out who I am now will naturally lead me to take choices that I know are in line with my personality and interests. So that whatever I end up doing and wherever the journey of Life takes me, it's still a life that I love, that fulfils me, that makes me happy and content. It's just so hard to break the mentality drummed into me (and I suspect a huge proportion of everyone else) that I should have my career plans all figured out by the time I left school. That at 16, I should have it all down. Then, when I spent the few years adrift, the pressure was on to stop wasting my life. In the end, I truly think my heart took the steering wheel, just once to get me clear of the pit I was falling into, and I somehow managed to get into a History degree. It's not easy, but I realise that easy does not equal enjoyment. I love my course. Though it feels completely alien to me at the moment, I think that if I can figure out what my heart wants and needs, she'll steer me in the right direction no matter what. No matter the near weekly barrage of emails and other "careers help" stuff they push on the third years to help us make up our minds about a career. It's like being back at school again. 

Life: Meditation didn't really go so well, but it was just before I went to sleep so maybe I need to be more alert. My brain wouldn't stick with it. Will try again this morning. 

In terms of reading, I'm actually reading two. The first is "The road to middle-earth" by Tom Shippey. It's more academic, talking about the way Tolkien's academic interests and pursuits led to him writing all his Middle-Earth works. Interesting, but not really a relaxing read as it makes me think a lot. The second is a thriller. Read at least four chapters last night. Definitely a goal I'm keeping. 

If you can't ramble here where can you ramble?! Totally allowed. I think, truthfully, most people fake a lot of that stuff. I still remember my father in law, a VP with a big company, telling me he still often feels like he's just faking it and hopes no one notices. Trust me that we all feel a bit like that sometimes, and those "plans" people make very rarely turn out. I was going to be an academic and that definitely didn't happen. Then I was going to be an HR person and I definitely cannot seem to get a break to get into that industry. But, my job now pays the bills, let's me work 9-5, and gives me plenty of time off to pursue my interests. I guess what I'm saying is, there are worse things than not getting all the job and whatnot stuff you think you want!

And that LotR book sounds really interesting! My wife just started up this podcast about reading Harry Potter as if it was like a sacred text (like the Bible). Really neat stuff!

• Like 1

Instagram

Pretty good day today, except my essay is becoming a millstone around my neck. Had a brief chat with my tutor and I'm not not the wrong track, but my sources need rethinking, which means a lot of it will have to be rewritten. Not to mention I actually need to find more sources, read them and quote them. It's going to be a long night. 

Week One, Day Three

Exercise: Gym after class today. It was pretty busy but emptied out towards the end. It wasn't really a problem, thankfully. "Leg day" was hard work!

10 minutes rowing (2000 metres) then:

3 sets of 10 x 4kg (2kg each hand) squats

4 sets of 10 x 4kg dumbell rows

3 sets of 10 lunges each leg (these were not fun)

4 sets of 20 mountain climbers (10 per leg) 

3 sets of 10 sit ups

Finished with: 3 x 30 second planks

Nutrition: 

Breakfast was porridge made with oat milk. Finally a milk replacement that I like! i could drink that stuff all day.

Lunch: leftover thai spiced chicken. Should have had something with it, but was hungry and in a pinch, was the healthiest I could manage. Urge to eat chocolate immense.

Snack: 3 rice cakes (topped with a little bit of milk chocolate, but its actual bars and large amounts of chocolate I'm avoiding, since that's my nemesis)

Dinner: Oven baked fish, potatoes and assorted veg. Pretty balanced!

Life:

No, because work (uni) is sapping all my time and energy. All I want when I take breaks is to watch an hour of TV before pulling myself back to my assignment. Will try to read some tonight, because I missed last night. Meditation also needs to happen. 

• Like 2

Rangers Gonna Ranger

On 10/30/2016 at 9:56 AM, Rhovaniel said:

So, rambling aside, this challenge cycle is more to kick start my brain to think about what it is I want, and who I really am. I know, that sounds corny and all, but I figure I really need to sort this out, or I'm going to end up dissatisfied and drifting in life.

Not corny at all. Sounds like an important goal. (p.s. I like your reward system...it's very similar to what I do)

On 10/31/2016 at 3:36 AM, Rhovaniel said:

You guys give me a lot of hope. Hope that maybe things will work out even without a definite "plan" or "goal" for the future. Maybe figuring out who I am now will naturally lead me to take choices that I know are in line with my personality and interests.

The only thing I would add is that a lot of things are a continuum rather than something binary. Your plans and goals can evolve, as well as your sense of self.

5 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Pretty good day today, except my essay is becoming a millstone around my neck. Had a brief chat with my tutor and I'm not not the wrong track, but my sources need rethinking, which means a lot of it will have to be rewritten. Not to mention I actually need to find more sources, read them and quote them. It's going to be a long night. 

Breakfast was porridge made with oat milk. Finally a milk replacement that I like! i could drink that stuff all day.

Good luck getting through the essay and congrats on the breakfast win!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

23 hours ago, Xena said:

The only thing I would add is that a lot of things are a continuum rather than something binary. Your plans and goals can evolve, as well as your sense of self.

Definitely this. It's something I've had a hard time coming to accept, because when I was a teenager the pressure to make something of myself and have a good career led me to thinking I had my whole plan worked out (back then, I was going to apply to study forensic science, till I got to A level Chemistry and realised I was in over my head). Now, I'm more accepting of the fact that my desires and plans will change over time, and I don't need to pin down an exact "plan for the future". I just need to focus on making my future a more positive one that makes me happy. Right now, that's probably continued study and an academic career. But we'll see. Life is a discovery, and that's no bad thing. It's supposed to have large elements of the unknown. 

Week One, Day Four (I think)

Exercise: I was going to go the gym, but the millstone refused to let me. Plus I can't walk down a flight of stairs without wincing a lot right now, so this is a negative. I'll go tomorrow with a friend, but that will be my only free day left, leaving me - hopefully - with a solid score of a 3 day gym week.

Nutriton: Forgot to keep tabs, but was overall average, wavering on bad. Hot chocolate at uni bc I was craving chocolate and sugar, pizza for dinner because the bf was cooking some and I didn't want to spare too much time in the kitchen when I still had a map to complete and this damn essay. It's due Friday and all I can focus on right now. 

Life: It's 1am, no reading and no meditation. I have got to pull this goal back on track. Tomorrow, because I have a lecture first thing...

Demons may have temporarily waylaid me and got the first punch in, but I won't stay down. Tomorrow, I jump up and kick ass!

• Like 4

Rangers Gonna Ranger

So so much of what you have been posting here speaks to where I am right now! We are kindred spirits, you and I! Following to support you in your journey to self-discovery :)

Ps that Tolkien book DOES sound super interesting!

• Like 2

Calanthia Cobbin: Level 3 Hobbit Ranger

Rogue of Stick 'Em With The Pointy End! 

STR: 2.13 | INT: 2.37 | DEX: 4.25 | STA: 11.23 | CON: 11.88 | WIS: 8.72 | CHA: 5.81  

My Epic Quest | Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7thFitbit

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~JRR Tolkien

4 hours ago, Calanthia Cobbin said:

So so much of what you have been posting here speaks to where I am right now! We are kindred spirits, you and I! Following to support you in your journey to self-discovery :)

Ps that Tolkien book DOES sound super interesting!

Glad to have you along! The book is really good. Quite dense, at times, but completely worth sticking with. It's so fascinating to see what influences and thus inspirations Tolkien had around him that led to the books I adore so much. 

On 1 November 2016 at 10:53 PM, MiaulinTheCat said:

Found you! Finally ^_^

Best wishes for your Challenge, mellon nin. You're treading in some serious stuff! *Hugs&

Oh my goodness Mellon nin, I completely forgot to say hi. *waves at the screen*

Rangers Gonna Ranger

15 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Life: It's 1am, no reading and no meditation. I have got to pull this goal back on track. Tomorrow, because I have a lecture first thing...

Sleep is so critical to all of this. I find it's worth sacrificing a goal or two sometimes for that!

• Like 1

Instagram

Well, not had too much sleep since it was pretty late when I finished and submitted... but it's done! Assignment submitted and hopefully all elements are there. Just got to be patient for the marking now.

b794195461ad4b0ee11672e484db05f210e1bff7

Anyway, my recap from yesterday:

Week 1, Day Five

Exercise: I almost felt guilty for going, but I carved out some time to get to the gym. Felt pretty good, so I did 4 sets of everything instead of three. 30 second rests between each set.

10 mins rowing

4 sets of 10 x 5kg dumbbell rows (4kg was feeling pretty easy last time, so I upped it. All went okay, and my arms really felt it on the last set!)

4 sets of 10 x 4kg (2kg per hand) squats

4 sets of 20 (10 per leg) mountain climbers

4 sets of 10 x 6kg (3kg per hand) OHP. I dropped down from the 4kg to get my form better. My arms wobble around too much trying to use the 4kgs.

4 sets of 30 second planks. 

Nutrition: Considering the looming deadline, I actually ate pretty decently. I usually end up eating loads of chocolate and other unhealthy convenience foods when I have so much work to get done, but apart from an iffy cinnamon toasted thing for breakfast, I had a wholewheat BLT sandwich with a banana for lunch, and after the gym I tried a Clif bar that was on a special 2 for 1 at the health food place I got the oat milk (and raw cacao powder I am determined to find a use for). Omg. I pray they're ok health wise, because it was delicious! Chicken salad for dinner. Win! (Also.. I haven't had a chocolate bar since sunday! Success!)

Life: After submitting the assignment, I was ready to crash. but it wasn't quite midnight yet, so I read a few chapters of the thriller. Turned out to be a little too boring too me. To much "x character thought this. She remembered the time when..." That, and far too much the author telling us both what the character was going to do next and their reasoning behind it, I've decided I don't want to waste my precious reading time with it. Skipped to the end, found out the killer and the ones trying to frame someone else, put it down. Moved on. 

• Like 3

Rangers Gonna Ranger

It's late and I'm tired with a full 14 hour shift ahead of me tomorrow, so this will be a short one. And I WILL get round to checking up on other people's threads tomorrow. Sorry all, Life is piled up on top of me right now.

Exercise: No, and I won't be able to tomorrow or Sunday either :(

Nutrition: Work is always hard. Managed to have a so-so sort of day, but I had chocolate, after eating bad on Sunday, so I think this week is a fail. Still going to try hard tomorrow though. Because the point isn't the rewards, it's the healthy life I want to have and enjoy.

Life: No uni, but a long day at work made much more stressful than it needed to be. My manager also hinted that I need to be better at managing the cashiers that work with me when they're in. Because technically, I am the duty manager at the time, I need to be able to call them out for their crap. It's not a fun thought, but the one I had today was... let's call him work shy. And I have to be able to find my manager voice and let him know that it's not acceptable. I'll be honest, it's out of my comfort zone. 

I am finally going to start meditation, in lieu of reading tonight. Gonna give myself ten minutes to hopefully clear my mind and decompress ready for tomorrow's battles. 

Rangers Gonna Ranger

That does sound stressful!

I have one suggestion that I've found really helpful in my own life. Roleplaying stressful conversations. Get a friend to be the lazy coworker, and practice "using your manager voice." It's surprising how stressful the pretend situation can be, but it will give you confidence for the real thing.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

So, today was pretty meh. Found out I am working all day Monday, which means I am going to have to get creative with getting into the gym or I'll start the week on the back foot. I don't like taking my rest days in bulk, dictated by work. So, I'll do my best to get out of the party tomorrow early enough to get to the gym before it closes at 7am. Its gonna be tight...

Exercise: no

Nutrition: no. This was bad. Not enough decent choices around me today and I ended up taking the easy way out. 

Life: Reading a new book - as soon as I sign up for the OCRs

Rangers Gonna Ranger

On November 5, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Rhovaniel said:

End of the week summary

Exercise: £5 towards rewards. 3 times this week.

Nutrition: Fail. £0

Life: 50/50 really. Good job its not on the reward system. 

We all have these weeks sometimes. God knows this weekend was that for me. Don't let it get you down! 

• Like 1

Instagram

So, will do today's update a little later, but Sunday was pretty damn good. I made time for gym, got all the cooking done, all the present buying I needed, turned up at the party, endured the usual "what are you doing with your life" questions from nosy relatives with what I hope was good grace, and agreed to do something so damn far out of my comfort zone I'm struggling to accept that I actually agreed to it. And I am downright terrified. And 1% excited. But 1999% terrified.

Exercise: I knew I wouldn't make it after thr party  so I dragged myself up early, got to the gym just after it opened and got in a good workout: 

10 mins rowing

4 sets of 10 x 4kg squats
4 sets of 10 x 5kg dumbell rows per arm
4 sets of 40 mountain climbers (20 per leg)
3 sets of 10 sit ups
4 sets of 10 x 6kg OHP
4 sets of 30 second planks 

Nutrition: Temptation overload. Fancy cupcakes, chocolates, birthday cake, sausage rolls. Ignored them all. Just had chicken I brought with me, few tomatoes, handful of grapes. 

Oh, before that I totally had a win. I made my first protein shake. Frozen kale and mixed fruit, chopped banana, hemp protein, raw organic cacao powder and oat milk. It came out tasting like chocolate milksake. It was divine. Like, the first time I made something completely healthy and felt slightly guilty about how good it tasted. 

Life: need a new goal. This is not working for me. 

• Like 4

Rangers Gonna Ranger

So Week 2, Day 2

Exercise: At work all day, this didn't happen.

Nutrition: Due to poor planning and a closed bakery, this was a variance day. Ugh. 

Life: Let's not go there.... 

Woke up somehow marginally less tired than when I went to bed eight hours previously. My eyes are actually itching this morning, so I made another chocolatey protein shake to try and pep me up. I am determined to make this day amazing to make up for the poor day yesterday. And I also need to talk to my dad about The Terrifying Thing. Part of me thinks I can't do it, part of me thinks I'll be okay, and the rest of me is running around trying to work out how it's going to happen and logistics and trying desperately not to think of failure. 

He wants me to be part of the Remembrance Sunday Parade this week in the town where he is part of the British Legion. Every year he gets involved with Poppy selling and all. I used to be in the marching band when I was a teen, stopped 6 years ago. Now, the band is gone and the Lord Mayor is coming to the parade. It's a big deal, locally (not my locality, but it means a lot to them). So, rather than march with no music at all.... my Dad wants me to play the bass drum. At the head of the Parade. Alone. I have never played the Bass Drum, apart from the very few practise sessions when I was younger and the people who played bass drum usually didn't turn up. So, I'm torn between "I don't know how to do this, it'll be crap and then the whole parade will be a farce" to "It would be pretty crap to not have any drums going down to the memorial like there should be". Part of me desperately wants to rise to the challenge and help them out. Part of me thinks it's beyond me and I should just sit the hell back down. 

789e1beb251290f2c33550f883b8ecd8.jpg

Rangers Gonna Ranger