Anim Makes Adulting Fun (but not really)

Anim07734

The skewed world continued to stretch around him for as far as the eye could see and the only progress Anim seemed to make was sideways.  Or possibly backwards; it was difficult to tell sometimes.  But it was progress, and with some more effort, could be focused in a more desirable direction.

I made a lot of progress around my house last month, but haven't finished yet.  And the housework came at the expense of things like cooking, so my diet slipped a lot.  I also relied on yard work as exercise more than I should have and fell off my regular schedule.  So this month I'll be trying to coordinate my time better.

Goals for this challenge are mostly unchanged, with a few tweaks:

Calorie tracking - I fell off the wagon hard over the past week or so, with a Halloween party followed by a house full of sugar-filled leftovers.  I've been 4-500cal in junk food over my target, and didn't even track how much I ate on the weekends.  As a result, I'm up 1/2in on my waist in two weeks, with no muscle gain to show for it.  So the goal for this month is to track everything and NO fast food; if I don't feel like cooking, then I have to go somewhere nice.

Workouts - I think I came up with a workable exercise plan last challenge, so the goal this month is to stick with and make minor tweaks as necessary.  I want at least 2 strength sessions and 2 run/sports sessions a week, plus yard work on rest days.

Sleep - I still need to work on this.  I feel rested most of the time, but mornings are still difficult and I'd like to be more awake to start work.

Projects - I still have a long list of projects to finish, some of which will get done this month.  The first set is outside stuff that requires daylight and suitable weather; the second is indoor stuff to work on the rest of the time.  Both have been updated and put in a rough priority order, though some of the easier stuff may get done out of order depending on how much time I have at the time.

Yardwork:

1a- remove growth from side of house

1b- landscape fabric and rock side of house

2a- remove growth from side of garage

2b- landscape fabric and rock side of garage

3- replace back porch light

4a- attempt tree removal

4b- if viable, remove 2 smaller trees

4c- have trees removed (6 large + 2 small)

5a- clean roof

5b- clean gutters

6- have chimney cleaned

Housework:

1a- rewire master bedroom light

1b- hang ceiling fan in master bedroom

1c- rewire guest room lights

1d- hang ceiling fan in guest room

2a- repair plaster in rooms to be painted

2b- paint master bedroom

2c- paint guest room

2d.i- clean office

2d.ii- paint office

2e- paint hall

2f.i- paint hall bath

2f.ii- paint guest bath

3- build miter saw stand

4a- build speaker shelves for living room

4b- run cable for rear speakers

5- build display nook shelf for guest room

6a- frame art (dwagons) and place in den

6b- hang posters (framed) in master bedroom

6c- frame art (Maori designs) and place in guest room

6d- hang posters (framed) in office

6e- frame art (space-scapes) and place in bathrooms

And some additional "fun" projects that don't count for the challenge, but I'm still working on:

-finish painting Kroot pathfinders (Necromunda gang miniatures)

-finish Grifter pistols

-plan out Guts' sword

-redesign Question mask

-finish painting Polly the Demon Parrot (miniature)

-finish painting new trollblood minis (Hordes)

-finish painting knight miniatures

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Weight (lb) 143.5
Waist (in) 30.375
Body Fat % 13.8

Spent half of last week at my grampa's while my mom was also there for a visit.  It was a fun trip, but now I need to get back on schedule.

Doing a little better sticking to my calories, but didn't keep my protein up as high as I'd like while traveling.  Only got 3 workouts last week, and no projects done, but did get caught up on sleep.

Also, I have a new suggestion regarding Daylight Savings:  Can we just "fall back" every 3-6months to keep everyone this refreshed and energetic?  Our clocks don't really follow the sun anyway, so what difference does it make? :playful:

• Like 3

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

On 11/7/2016 at 10:20 AM, Anim07734 said:

Also, I have a new suggestion regarding Daylight Savings:  Can we just "fall back" every 3-6months to keep everyone this refreshed and energetic?  Our clocks don't really follow the sun anyway, so what difference does it make? :playful:

Amen. Or just do away with it altogether, and allow people more flexible schedules. 

• Like 3

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

That was my old suggestion.  It's pointless and stupid, so we should just get rid of it.  But since that wasn't gaining any traction, I'm going with this new one. :friendly_wink:

• Like 3

Weight (lb) 142.5
Waist (in) 30.375
Body Fat % 13.8

I'm pretty sure most of the weight "loss" is just dehydration, as I was terrible about getting enough water over the long weekend.  Calories were back and forth; I started out good, then remembered I still had Halloween candy, then finished the candy and didn't buy any more. :playful:  My major accomplishment was cooking two sets of meals at once, so I had a fridge full of leftovers instead of going out to eat.

Only 3 workouts again, but the long weekend gave me an extra full day of house work, so I'll call it good.  Made progress on the yard before my (potentially broken) finger decided it had had enough, so the rest of the weekend was spent rewiring my guest room and installing the ceiling fan.  Depending on what the doctor says about my finger, I'll either get more yard work done this week or install the fan for the master bedroom.

I've also almost finished painting my Kroot pathfinders; just need to put their names on them and clear coat everything.  I'll get some pictures as soon as I finish that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

I'm pretty sure most of the weight "loss" is just dehydration, as I was terrible about getting enough water over the long weekend. 

I'm terrible about drinking water - and I hope that now that I have a plan for reminding myself to drink more, I'll be tempted to eat less, what with water taking up space and all. 

17 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

Made progress on the yard before my (potentially broken) finger decided it had had enough, so the rest of the weekend was spent rewiring my guest room and installing the ceiling fan.  Depending on what the doctor says about my finger, I'll either get more yard work done this week or install the fan for the master bedroom.

OUCH! Oh, that hurts. I hope it isn't broken!

Level 10 Ranger | Respawned
Challenges 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Peers: Chronologically Blessed

I don't think it's broken, but it's been sore and swollen since I jammed it... 6weeks ago? ... failing to catch a football.  When I realized last week that it also wouldn't straighten fully, I finally called the doctor about it and got x-rays taken.  With the holiday, I still haven't heard back, so I'm planning to call at lunch today to get an update.

When I had x-rays on my lungs this summer (pneumonia) and my cat had x-rays on his lungs (unexplained coughing fits) and my grandparents both had x-rays on their knees (one for surgery, the other because he bumped it like a month ago and it was still hurting apparently), we got the results back the same day.  I hope everything is fine for you and they figure out how to stop the pain. :)

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

Weight (lb) 143
Waist (in) 30.625
Body Fat % 14.4

Spent the past 2 days lounging around with a head cold after only getting 3 workouts in last week.  I also avoided most of my house work to keep from tweaking my finger more, so I'm not really surprised to see my waist go up a little.

Consensus at the moment is that the front office at my doctor's is terrible.  It took them close to a week to let me know that it wasn't broken, they weren't going to schedule an appointment, but if I really wanted, they could get me a referral for a hand surgeon.  "Um, yeah, there's obviously something wrong with it, as you'd know if you bothered to look, so yes, send me to someone who will actually do their job."  Then the scheduled the referral for last Friday, but couldn't be bothered to let me know, so I get to call today and see if I can get a new appointment...  I like my doctor, but if this is how they're going to deal with me, I'm going to have to look into going elsewhere.

I did finish painting a couple minis, so that's something at least.  I also headed up the construction of our office "Giant Christmas Card" for the local competition.  That's getting put out sometime this week, so I'll have to get pictures of it to post as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Consensus at the moment is that the front office at my doctor's is terrible.  It took them close to a week to let me know that it wasn't broken, they weren't going to schedule an appointment, but if I really wanted, they could get me a referral for a hand surgeon.  "Um, yeah, there's obviously something wrong with it, as you'd know if you bothered to look, so yes, send me to someone who will actually do their job."  Then the scheduled the referral for last Friday, but couldn't be bothered to let me know, so I get to call today and see if I can get a new appointment...  I like my doctor, but if this is how they're going to deal with me, I'm going to have to look into going elsewhere.

That's so frustrating. Glad to hear it's not broken, at least. Personally, I'd make a (polite) complaint to the doctor or office manager about that nonsense. If they're notified and don't address the issue going forward, you know it'll just keep happening. Good luck with the referral. 

• Like 1

Picture time!

Kroot pathfinders (all custom using GW bits):

31103554681_7dea211f64_z.jpg

Skull Crusher, Vorpal (leader), and Heart Finder, heavy weapon troops in powered armor

30410094333_e41d1dd438_z.jpg

Frost, Flame, Shock, and Thunder, riflemen

30396312174_ec692cc745_z.jpg

Keen and Bane, snipers

30396312224_ffc7884aba_z.jpg

Dark Wood, Mithral, Adamantine, and Dragon Hide, assault troops

And here's my character for our new DnD game starting this weekend (Reaper Mini):

30850155520_98cc448c2b_z.jpg

Don't have a name for him yet, but he's a half-elf slave who made a deal with a demon to gain his freedom.  Not sure if I'll end up using the elemental, but she came with the warlock mini, so I painted her up at the same time.

Other stuff:

I'm not sure if the referral worked right or not, but I've got an appointment for Monday to get my finger looked at.  Now I just have to see if they manage to fax over my x-ray ahead of time.

Broke down and had Taco Bell for dinner last night.  Not the best decision, but I've been wanting some for over a week, and finally decided to just get it over with on a night I could fit the calories.  Now that the craving's filled, I should have an easier time sticking to cooking and eating leftovers.  I hope. :playful:

Still trying to shake this head cold.  I'm over the worst of it, but all the gunk draining down my throat is giving me coughing fits.  It's also making it difficult to workout, especially since I prefer to be outside.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2016 at 8:49 AM, Manarelle said:

Holidays always play heck with schedules and intentions. Hang in there, though, you got this. 

Holidays, and really just life. As I told someone on Facebook the other day, life doesn't stop because we're trying to get fit. We have to get fit around our lives!

• Like 1

Dark Panther - Adventurer

STR: 3 DEX: 2 STA:2 CON: 2 WIS: 6 CHA: 3

"Laughing myself to a 6 pack or at least at 4-pack"-

Current Challenge:

From Monday:

Weight (lb) 144
Waist (in) 30.75
Body Fat % 14.7

Waist is continuing to grow, with no apparent gain in muscle.  I'm blaming my inconsistency with workouts, so I'll be cutting back to maintenance until I get back on schedule there.

Office sports got moved to Monday afternoon, so I did that, but the rest of my plans got derailed when I went to do laundry and my dryer wouldn't turn on.  Turns out the outlet had shorted and melted itself and the cord, so I got to spend last night tracking down the parts and replacing everything.  On the plus side, it only took a day and my dryer works again. :smile-new:

Finally got a doctor to look at my finger Monday.  Official word is that fingers just take a while to heal, so I've got a follow-up in 3months to make sure everything's staying on track.  The overall soreness has been getting less, and I can deal with the lack of motion (it doesn't fully straighten) as long as I know I'll get the strength back.

Got the last ceiling fan installed over the weekend, but it's completely unbalanced and I'm having trouble adjusting it.  Good odds the blades are bent from sitting on the ground too long, so I may just have to replace them like I did on the first one.  Hoping I can get it to work well enough to squeak by until I'm ready to just replace the fan.  These aren't the style I want long term, but they were free, so I'm planning to update later as my renovations continue.  I'm now debating if I want to prep the office for a ceiling fan, knowing that I won't install one for a couple years, instead of trying to remember how I did it this time around.

Finished the office's giant Christmas card during work yesterday, so I'll try to get some picture of that posted tonight.  I'm almost done painting another batch of minis (would have finished last night if not for the dryer), so hoping to get pictures of those as well.  Then I've got another set primed and ready to paint for my Friday night game.  They might be ready in time. :playful:  Once those are done, I need to switch gears and finish Christmas presents for everyone.

• Like 2

Glad you finally got someone to look at your finger but bummed it's going to take a while to heal. 

Love the painted minis! 

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Sorry to hear about the finger heal time and the dryer snag in your plans. Sounds like you've got a good handle on house repairs, at least. I can sympathize on having to drop down to maintenance. This rotator cuff is having more of an impact than I'd hoped, so I had to do the same while exercises slow down. What a time to have to do that. Enjoy the zero week, and thanks again for the excellent mini. 

• Like 1