The Return of Jack Danger

Jack Danger

I wrote this all out and meant to post it earlier this morning, but whatever. It’s been almost two whole months since I've used the forums. Loads of stuff has happened since then. What hasn’t happened is good fitness. But my life has settled down a fairly significant amount, so I’m ready to jump back in. It seems like an especially good day to do that, not only because it's the first of the month, but it's also my 25th birthday. And I'm promising myself that this is the year that I get myself back on track, that I figure stuff out, the year that I really get my life going. It starts today.

Here’s a rundown of what’s gone on the past few months, kind of taking stock of where I am right now (spoilered, because it's a lot).

Spoiler

SCHOOL. I had decided to go back for another degree a few months prior. I had felt at the time like I was trapped in a corner, or had dug myself into a rut. If I didn’t make a drastic change, I’d stay content with my mediocrity forever. And so, without serious consideration, I applied to go back to school and was accepted. Classes started August 30th. I attended them, but wound up dropping out two weeks later. I had to cut my hours at my job to handle the schoolwork, which resulted in a pretty big drop in my income. I also would have had to take on another $45k in student loans to get the degree I was going for, and that was stressing me out a lot. Plus, I had the growing sense that I had made a mistake, and that I was doing this for all of the wrong reasons.

MOVED OUT. On October 15th, my best buddy and I moved out of our respective parents’ house and into our own apartment. I don’t know if it was the most logical thing to do financially, but I also didn’t want to turn 25 still living with my parents. Not that there’s anything wrong with that necessarily. I’m still setting up the place, but it’s pretty cool so far. Most of the craziness of moving has subsided, and life has pretty much normalized now.

FITNESS. I haven’t worked out in two months. Haven’t gone for any walks to exercise, haven’t ridden my bike. Haven’t done anything. There is much shame.

DIET. Terrible. Stopped tracking my food, started eating more and more garbage. Fast food all the time. Still much shame.

My goals this challenge are going to be incredibly simple and few in number, to help get me back on track and start rebuilding healthy habits for my fitness and diet. I also want to get back into writing, but I’ve always been more of a screenwriter than a novelist, so I’m going to be working on my own NaScreeWriMo, instead of NaNoWriMo. The end goal will still be to have a finished product by the last day of the month, but instead of a novel it'll be a 90ish page screenplay.

GOALS.

FITNESS- Walk for the sake of exercise 30 minutes every day.

DIET- Track all food with MyFitnessPal.

WRITING- 3 pages a day, every day.

I have a lot of other goals that I want to accomplish, but most of them aren’t as easily quantifiable and trackable.

-Finish moving everything out of my old place and into my apartment.

-Work my way back into a 3/week bodyweight workout routine.

-Figure out what I want to do with my life already.

-Work on that homebrew RPG campaign that’s been kicking around my head.

-Investigate the possibility of a rock climbing gym membership.

There's probably more, but that’s it for now. Let’s go do this.

• Like 1

Welp, this wasn't really the return that I had been expecting. I meant to post way more often, but that hasn't happened. Not gonna make excuses though. It's my own fault, so I'm just gonna have to make a conscious effort for the next week, and really dive into the next challenge afterwards. My progress so far has been as follows:

FITNESS- Walk for the sake of exercise 30 minutes every day. 17/22, good enough for a solid C+

DIET- Track all food with MyFitnessPal. 20/22, a strong A- grade right there.

WRITING- 3 pages a day, every day. 0/22. There aren't letter grades low enough for the amount of failure.

WHY I'M FAILING: I feel like my writing goal was always doomed to fail. Going from never writing to writing every day is daunting, and once you miss a day, it snowballs. Nerd Fitness is always about making small incremental changes, which is not what I was trying to do. The two days I didn't track my food were because Veteran's Day is the busiest day of the year at work, so I spent whatever little free time I had shoveling sugary candy down my throat in an attempt to keep myself energized. I couldn't keep track of it all. And yesterday I ate a big home cooked meal at a friend's house and have no idea what the ingredients were or how much I actually ate, so I figured I'd just take a hit with the tracking.

As for my other miscellaneous goals, I have made very small progress on just about everything, but not enough to note. The only thing left to do now is to keep moving forward. And I'm gonna have to crash some other threads, get myself more involved in the forums moving forward, much like I did my first challenge.

• Like 1