• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rolough

Steve's Big-Ass Primal Shake

21 posts in this topic

I live in Seoul, I wonder where I can get almond milk. I want to try almond butter too, I've never had that, but I want to try your snack also Steve, of the apples and almond butter. That sounds bad ass! Thanks for the recipe! Damn, fruits are expensive here!

rolough, you can easily make your own almond milk! http://www.rawfoods-livingfoods.com/how-to-make-almond-milk.html I use a fine sieve instead of a nut bag (hehe nut bag). You can add a bit of vanilla extract to it if you like. Some people add honey or agave but if you're paleo that's not really an option (and, honestly, I find it unnecessary).

Steve, aside from the cans of coconut milk, you can buy it the same way you buy almond milk (Silk brand)-in a large carton. I haven't really looked at it or purchased it but I imagine it's not as thick and tasty as the canned kind. Just another option :)

1 person likes this

Laura - I'm the opposite. I use the carton coconut milk and have never tried the canned stuff. I don't have a point of comparison, but the stuff in the carton is quite think and very tasty. Might have to pick up a can today while I am out and do a comparision.

Laura - I'm the opposite. I use the carton coconut milk and have never tried the canned stuff. I don't have a point of comparison, but the stuff in the carton is quite think and very tasty. Might have to pick up a can today while I am out and do a comparision.

Good to know! I'd be interested in hearing the comparison.

I use So Delicious Coconut Milk for dairy substitute stuff (baking/smoothies/drinking) vs the stuff in the can. The boxes coconut milk is much, much thinner, and not really less flavorful, but definitely not as rich as the canned milk. I would call the boxed coconut milk the 'skim' version, while the canned stuff would be more like the 'heavy cream'. Both are delicious.

I guess a lot of people buy the canned stuff and dilute it down. Its lot cheaper that way if you're consuming a lot of it.

Thanks for the info Laura! That looks interesting. I think I am gonna go shopping and see if I can find coconut or almond milk though! (lol @ nut bag, btw)

Bought a can of coconut milk yesterday and compared them this morning. The can was much thicker than the carton. Taste-wise they were both quite good, I really didn't think one stood out over the other. I think the bigger deciding factor for me will be what I am using it in. I tried the can for my shake this morning and it was just too thick. I will be sticking to the carton for my shakes, but will be picking up some cans for dishes like coconut curries, etc.

Yeah... There's a huge difference between can and carton.

Canned = pure, unaltered coconut milk and better bang for your buck.

Carton = watered down and lots of crap added to it. Check the ingredients. They even add sugar. Not the best choice if you ask me.

If I need to water down the coconut milk from the can... I just add water.

Just my two cents though.

Yeah... There's a huge difference between can and carton.

Canned = pure, unaltered coconut milk and better bang for your buck.

Carton = watered down and lots of crap added to it. Check the ingredients. They even add sugar. Not the best choice if you ask me.

If I need to water down the coconut milk from the can... I just add water.

Just my two cents though.

I was wondering about that. Boo additives!

Looks like I will be finishing this carton and searching for a cheap source for canned coconut milk.

Most grocery stores have coconut milk in the can for a couple bucks in the ethnic section.

Just bought me a personal sized blender, now i gotta make something awesome!

Question: isn't whey protein non-paleo (and incredibly processed), being derived from cow's milk and all?

Just trying to figure this out.

I found that as long as you buy the canned coconut milk with the least amount of silly extra ingredients (other than coconuts and water) the flavor is fine. I go super cheap on this and I find 1 can makes 3-4 good size smoothies, but you have to add water. The stuff is thick at room temp, but throw in the frozen berries and you almost need a spoon.

Hmmm, on a side note, if you skipped the water, and then threw it back in the freezer, you could have something close to coconut/berry/protein sorbet. Yum!

Question: isn't whey protein non-paleo (and incredibly processed), being derived from cow's milk and all?

Just trying to figure this out.

That's why it's labeled primal. Primal allows dairy and rice. Paleo does not. :)

I found that as long as you buy the canned coconut milk with the least amount of silly extra ingredients (other than coconuts and water) the flavor is fine. I go super cheap on this and I find 1 can makes 3-4 good size smoothies, but you have to add water. The stuff is thick at room temp, but throw in the frozen berries and you almost need a spoon.

Hmmm, on a side note, if you skipped the water, and then threw it back in the freezer, you could have something close to coconut/berry/protein sorbet. Yum!

I found this out too...way too thick straight out of the can, it's like drinking whipped cream!

This is the best-tasting protein shake I've ever tried! Just what I needed to get in those extra calories/protein to bulk up!

It's even easier to make homemade coconut milk than it is to make almond milk!  With the almonds, you have to soak them.  With coconut milk, you just let dried, unsweetened coconut sit in hot water for a bit, blend, and strain (I use a jelly strainer bag instead of nut milk bags, they tend to be way cheaper.  I've been using the same one for a good year now, and it's still going strong.)

I can get a 25 pound bag of dried organic coconut (I use a looooooot of coconut milk and coconut butter) for around 60 dollars. That way, to get a can's worth of coconut milk, it costs roughly 15 cents, or less (you can actually use the coconut pulp 2 or sometimes 3 times, though it gets thinner each time.)  A buck fifty for a can lined with BPA, and with stabilizers?  Or nothing but coconut and water for a tenth that.  I know which one I'll choose! (homemade also doesn't have that weird chalky flavor/texture canned sometimes has.)

Recipe: http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/recipe-homemade-coconut-milk.html

or

http://wellnessmama.com/2447/homemade-coconut-milk/