Battlesquad Galactica (Squad T)

spezzy

What's going on fellow squad mates? I'll try and swing through everyone's challenge threads at work today and tomorrow.

A little about me; I'm a strength squad guy. This challenge I'm on a pretty strict "cut" diet and have dropped all my lifts to allow for that. My other goals revolve around some student loans and running my first 5k(which I accomplished already). I've been on the forums for about six months now and am loving it.

What about you?

Dwarven Warrior

What's Seth Doing Nowadays?

Sometimes I lift it. Sometimes It Lifts Me.

Hiya!

I've been crazy busy the last week, so I got a bit behind on forum stuff. We have a squad, apparently! Wonderful! And we need a name? What's it going to be?

Seth, cool! I'm a newbie. Bodyweight is what I'm at. Hopefully it will increase as I get stronger ;)

I won't be able to browse the forums in detail very often, so if someone will poke me when we need to win all those challenges I'd be very grateful.

Hello world! (I'm just gonna follow this_is_seth's lead) I don't have much work tonight, so I'll try and get everyone's challenges read during the lull.

Info: I'm definitely going for strength as my end goal because I just love lifting! This is my 1st challenge, so I'm probably just gonna try and keep up :) I kept my diet goals very loose because I have to deal with the college meal plan until May. I had a burst of energy over spring break/last week so I pretty much accomplished all of my 'life' goals. no worries, I'll just have to add some more to the list :P

Heads-up: I love squats...but absolutely hate dead-lifts so I may need some motivation to actually do them before this challenge is over :/

I am a dyslexic agnostic insomniac who lies awake all night wondering if there really is a dog

Texting right now so I'll talk about myself later tonight.

For now -- just ages suggestions for squad names:

Squad Fukishima-Daichi -- because we're radioactive and we're unstoppable.

Battlesquad Galactica

Squad Nerdalicious

Squad 1776 -- because we've all joined the revolution.

Anyway, I realize just posting this reveals me as a big dork. Less geeky, more on-topic post to follow.

Ok, so on the name front I thought it might be a good idea to find something that we all like. So here is a list of my favorite games/tv shows/etc.

Games: Zelda (n64), assassins creed, final fantasy, uncharted, mario

Tv: fringe, archer, daily show

I liked the idea of the revolutions, but i agree that it would be hard to get a common date for all of us

I am a dyslexic agnostic insomniac who lies awake all night wondering if there really is a dog

Just wanted to say a quick hello! My goals for this challenge are mainly focused on my diet. I need to eat more real food to see the changes I want! I'm preparing for a Warrior Dash (May 5) and I want to be in epic shape. I'm currently doing dumbbell circuits and a beginner's 5k program to get ready.

Oh you learn to love the sheer anguish that dead lifts put you through.. and the look of amazement you see in people's faces when they see you doing them. :-)

I take my dead lifts for little strolls every now and then. Just for the looks.... :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Is it ok to change our goals during the challenge? I'm not sure that I'll be able to hit my goals if my knee keeps acting up. So I might have to change my running goal so that I can keep my lifting goal, does that make sense? Maybe change the running to burning 3k calories a week (per hrm)? Then I can do biking or other activities instead? I don't want to give up on the running, but I think I might set up a personal training session in order to get some ideas for ways to make it stronger. Thoughts?

Changing your goals is perfectly fine, but failing goals is also a part of the learning process.

If you find that your knee is giving you that much grief, I'd look at changing up your running goal. You can look at either biking or elliptical or rowing instead, those all hit the same cardio levels without putting as much stress on the knees.

Dwarven Warrior

I'm all for Battlesquad Galactica. I want Starbuck to be my PT (those raised pushups she did in the brig! I WANT!)

Zelda-themed works for me too :) and I'm a physics dork, so "The Flashy Photons"? I'd rock that.

MaraJade, what's the problem with your knee? Tendons, bone, cartilage? I've had arthritic inflammations in both and squats saved me. AFTER the inflammations were gone, mind, I don't think there are enough painkillers in the world to do them during :)

Ok Squad T!!!! (Claps hands, jumps up and down, despite the long trailing Victorian skirts)

I've just blog-stalked all of you, and could not be more delighted to be on this squad. Here's some things to remember about us:

Blaizen, Tigger, and Toothpick are all trying to be students while leveling up. That's a hard balance. I admire it, and am looking forward to hearing how they get that balance. If another member of the squad is a student and I missed you, give a shout-out.

this_is_seth is a fierce record keeper. Look at his blog. It's a model of goal-setting and measuring.

bstirewalt is training for a tough mudder and marajade78 is training for a rugged maniac. These sound like cocktails to me, but I have a hunch they are athletic experiences about which I know very little.

Lexphoenix has great experience changing her food habits.

Bob-gar is a mountain biker and martinb is a rower, unless I am mistaken.

And before this is all over, Georges will be able to do a pull-up.

Is there another way I should be remembering you all? How are you doing with your goals today?

My lifting goals are all in order, I think I may actually hit the projected totals. I wasn't entirely sure I'd be able to while on my cut phase...

Life goals are on hold, was waiting on my federal tax return before tackling the student loan, but I may have messed up where they were supposed to deposit my credit. Woops!

I actually really like the Battlesquad Galactica name, even though I never watched more than a season of the show.

Dwarven Warrior

Just a quick check in to say that I'm still here and kickin'! My current (soon-to-be-changing-if-win-my-Life-Challenge) job is temp work, and I've finally gotten some hours this week, so I won't really be able to update until the weekend. But I will still be spending time on my goals!! :)

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

My husband watched Battlestar 3 times through, from beginning to end, but I must confess I was in the other room reading during most of it. He filled me in on the plot over dinners, so I could be a member of Battlesquad Galactica without too much fraud.

Zelda appeals to me too, not because I'm a gamer, but because Zelda Fitzgerald was one bad, outta control diva. So, Zelda could work more than just one way.

Anything photon-related is also fine by me.

I haven't seen any Battlestar shows(?) movies (?) <--proof that I really don't know what I'm talking about...

But I'm totally up for a Battlestar themed team/squad and I'll add "watch Battlestar" to my life goals list :D

I'll also be trying to get one pull up done like Georges!! (PvP possibly...?)

I'm not picky on a team name, whatever sounds cool to everyone else works for me.

Victorian- It's a mud run so, it's a 5k with obstacles which is really why i wanted running to be part of my goal. Im not exactly sure what the problem is with my knee. I went to the running store, got fitted for good sneakers, but I have a friend who said it could actually be my hip. One is higher than the other, so I think if i need to get a lift in one of my shoes and that will help? Until then I keep popping motrin.

I'd rather do a different cardio right now so that I can keep lifting.

Marajade -- do you think it's an illitobial band issue? Common woman runner problem, in which not all the muscles are helping to keep the knee cap in place (due to women's naturally wider hips). Google it and you can probably find leg exercises that will help you strengthen the leg muscles that are causing the problem. But if you can afford a visit to the doctor, have them check it out first, to make sure it's nothing catastrophic.

Marajade -- do you think it's an illitobial band issue? Common woman runner problem, in which not all the muscles are helping to keep the knee cap in place (due to women's naturally wider hips). Google it and you can probably find leg exercises that will help you strengthen the leg muscles that are causing the problem. But if you can afford a visit to the doctor, have them check it out first, to make sure it's nothing catastrophic.

Oooh..i'll totally google that tonight and see what i can find!!

Woot woot! Now I really have to manage those push-ups.

Tired Victorian: scandalously short skirts in that pic of yours ;) If I finally manage to talk my running choir mate into doing a (half) marathon in full robes, would you be interested? ;) (It would have to be a winter race, or we'd get boiled.)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines