Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2016)

Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2016)

All who dare step outside The Shire will likely encounter many nasty adventures.

The journey is not for the faint of heart, as the typical traveler must endure years of commitment.

There will be other brave souls making the trek, providing much welcomed support and company, but only you can put one foot in front of the other.

The fate of Middle-Earth hangs in the balance... are you prepared to walk to Mordor to destroy the One Ring?

Everyone is welcome and you can start your journey at any time.

All miles/kilometers count. This is your adventure!

(ex. my journey has included walking/steps, hiking, running, biking (distance/3), and swimming (distance*3))

Whether you have been trekking to Mordor for years or just getting started, join us now and finish the year off strong!

SPREADSHEET

Open the spreadsheet, click on the 'Sign Up' tab at the bottom of the page, fill in all fields labeled in yellow, and begin tracking and logging your distance in the appropriate monthly tab.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - Bilbo Baggins

• Like 3

Sorry to those of you from past challenges for the multiple notifications. I posted the new link in each of the past accountibilibuddies topics to be sure I reached as many as possible.

I figured I would switch this to the PVP Challenges thread since I have not been good about posting it each challenge. I don't get on Nerd Fitness that often anymore since the only thing I really do here is this, so I was always forgetting to post it when the new challenges started. Hopefully this will be better for more continuous participation.

Who is ready to finish this year off with a bang?

11 hours ago, gryffinkat said:

My new Fitbit arrived today, so I'm raring to go again! I lost it almost a month ago, and so had no clue anymore how much I was walking. 

Woo Hoo! Let's do this!

I just started training for a marathon, so I am anticipating racking up the miles. If all goes according to plan, I should make it to Mordor before the end of the year. And then I can spend all next year making it back to The Shire!

• Like 1

This looks like fun! I'm in!

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 272 lbs

Current Challenge: Legend of RhiaWolfe: Tears of the Food Cravings

Previous Challenges: 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

A walking challenge??

tumblr_n8gky7kUUE1s31osbo1_r1_400.gif 

Is it too late to join??? I'm looking at the spreadsheet now; if I input my numbers for the year up to this point, can I finish out tracking with you guys?

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

On 11/8/2016 at 5:24 PM, AthenaMM said:

I'm hoping to get to Mordor by the end of the year!

Let's do this Athena!!

On 11/10/2016 at 0:28 PM, RhiaWolfe said:

This looks like fun! I'm in!

Woo Hoo! Welcome!

34 minutes ago, mom2sjm said:

I'm in!

bd1f42a701bcca78215bdae64d69ba95acefcc90

Got my first steps in today.  I'm planning (to walk every day) and I'm gathering (km).  

Woo Hoo!! Sounds like you are well prepared! Welcome!

6 minutes ago, SkyGirl said:

A walking challenge??

tumblr_n8gky7kUUE1s31osbo1_r1_400.gif 

Is it too late to join??? I'm looking at the spreadsheet now; if I input my numbers for the year up to this point, can I finish out tracking with you guys?

Never too late! Welcome!

If you have been tracking prior to joining, you can enter the miles/km you have accumulated in the "Sign Up" tab (tabs are at the bottom of the spreadsheet). Otherwise, just start entering your miles/km.

I will have a new spreadsheet set up for 2017, so we will all be able continue where we leave off this year. We will just all have to re-input our info in the "Sign Up" tab on the new spreadsheet.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, charlomechfry said:

Never too late! Welcome!

If you have been tracking prior to joining, you can enter the miles/km you have accumulated in the "Sign Up" tab (tabs are at the bottom of the spreadsheet). Otherwise, just start entering your miles/km.

I will have a new spreadsheet set up for 2017, so we will all be able continue where we leave off this year. We will just all have to re-input our info in the "Sign Up" tab on the new spreadsheet.

Sweet!! I just input my numbers, so I'm good to go - and it looks like I can reach Rivendell by the end of the year if I step up the pace! That's my favorite location in all of Middle Earth, so I am highly motivated!!

Thanks for letting me join in!

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

19 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Sweet!! I just input my numbers, so I'm good to go - and it looks like I can reach Rivendell by the end of the year if I step up the pace! That's my favorite location in all of Middle Earth, so I am highly motivated!!

Thanks for letting me join in!

You got this SkyGirl! Glad to have you!

19 hours ago, Kosareh said:

I'm in. I have been thinking of walking/running 1000 miles in 2017. I might as well start now!

Welcome! And great goal! No better time than now!!

• Like 1

What does everyone use to track their distance?

I'm using pokemon go :)  I'm sure my fit bit would be more accurate but it's very satisfying to hatch an egg or find a candy after so many km (2-10km for an egg/1-5km for candies).

hatch.gif?w=227&h=300  I like shiny things!!

It'll probably take me longer because PG can be kind of wronky and there is a lag so I feel like I'm walking more than it reports that I am but it's okay.

• Like 1

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

I have a very beat-up Fitbit Charge HR that looks and smells like it's moving toward its retirement days, but it's still hanging in there.  :-)

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

For the most part, I also only track deliberate walking, hiking, running, biking (miles/3), and swimming (milesX3). The only exception is at work where I tracked steps for a long time, but now just use an average based on that past tracking and the number of rounds I make. Starting next year though, I am going to nix walking all together from my tracking. Only the deliberate stuff (hiking, running, biking/3, and swimmingX3).

I was using Google Fit on my phone for tracking my steps. It was pretty accurate and I liked the app, but I finally couldn't handle the idea of Google storing my location history anymore. 

• Like 1
On 12/10/2016 at 3:29 PM, maegs said:

Just did a big update on the spreadsheet and realised that I'm ~50km over the distance to Rauros! That was my stretch goal for the year, so I'm quite happy with that :D 

Awesome job maegs!!

Next up... Mordor!!

Despite an injury keeping me down at the moment, I do believe I will be able to reach my goal of making Mordor before the end of the year. I am really jonesing for a run right now tho.

• Like 1

NEW Topic and Spreadsheet for 2017 is ready to go!

Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2017) can be found in the PVP Challenges or by following THIS LINK.

How is everyone doing to finish off the year?

I am cutting my goal VERY close. I have been nursing an injury for the past few weeks, but I am ready to start putting in some miles again. Marathon training took quite a hit, but I may still be able to make it to Mordor before the end of year.

• Like 2

WOO HOO!!

Made it to Mordor and destroyed the Ring!!

Here's hoping I can better avoid injury this year now that the burden has lifted.

I tracked my activities through the year. Here is a quick rundown of my stats.

894.8 miles of walking (includes hiking, walking, and steps)

301.65 miles of running

1613.13 miles of biking (537.71 miles counted for the Walk to Mordor)

15.77 miles of swimming (counted as 47.31 miles for the Walk to Mordor)

For 2017, and my trek back to Hobbiton, I am not counting walking or steps (but will still count hiking).

Further, I have challenged myself to running 1,000 miles.

1,000 miles!! Over 3 times what I did this past year! Oy!

Hope you all had a great year and look forward to hearing from all of you throughout the next year!

• Like 3

Whoo yeah!!! Congratulations @charlomechfry! That's so exciting!! May you have nothing but success in 2017!

Will there be another 2017 spreadsheet for tracking?

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART