I want to be the Very Best

Lightning

Battle-worn Assassin sneaking into Rebel camp (late) to heal and respawn....

I want to be the VERY best....

Reminding myself that the reason I started NF was to be the best version of myself that I can be.  So, with the Pokemon theme song looping in my head I decided to join Ash Ketchum on an adventure to be the very best.  

efd7116b-2c81-40f1-a6ac-27850e1d56f6.jpg

SQUIRTLE:  3 cups of water a day/ 21 cups a week

BULBASAUR: Vegetables 3x day/ 21 servings a week

PIKACHU: Electric Sun Lamp 5x a week

Ash: Walk 10k a week (hatch eggs using Pokemon Go)

Brock: Beat the Rock-type Gym by doing 8 strength workouts

Pokecoins!!! 

7 days without sugar earns 50 pokecoins on my Pokemon go account.  

7 days without grains earns another 50 coins.

• Like 5

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

Days 1-3

SQUIRTLE: 8 cups of water so far...

BULBASAUR: 3 servings of vegetables a day

PIKACHU: 2 days using the electric sun lamp

Ash: 5k of walking

Brock: 1 strength workout

No sugar: 2 days (need 5 more for pokecoins)

No grains: 2 days (need 5 more for pokecoins)

So far, so good.  I have had some seriously intense DOMS from my kettlebell workout so that slowed down my exercise.  I'm going to do an upper body workout today and finish with a few, light KB swings to loosen up my legs.

Also, did some stress eating this morning after the election results.  I only got 3 hours of sleep and gave in and had some chocolate but, I will be sure to avoid grains today.

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Day 4

Spent yesterday with the Election-blues.  Didn't move off the couch for much of the day.  Today, I woke up down but managed to get myself moving early and have been having a much better day.  It's a good reminder that exercising early is what works best for me.

SQUIRTLE: 3 cups of water yesterday and shouldn't have an issue getting at least that today.

BULBASAUR: Doing great with the vegetable goal.  3 servings yesterday.

PIKACHU: Forgot about the sun lamp yesterday, probably would have helped me feel better.

Ash: Up to 6K of walking with more planned for today.

Brock: Did my 2nd strength workout this morning

Body Weight Super Sets

Bulgarian Split Squats & Tricep Push-ups (3 sets)

Jumping Chin-ups & Calf Raises (3 sets)

Decline Pike Push-ups & Superman (3 sets)

1 set of side planks @ 30 seconds each

No sugar: 2 days (need 5 more for pokecoins)

No grains: 3 days (need 5 more for pokecoins)

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Week 1 (I started late) UPDATE

Finished off Week 1 pretty well.  I'm being rather lenient with myself right now because I'm still trying to gather my momentum.  So, here is how it panned out...

SQUIRTLE:  19/21 cups of water this week

BULBASAUR: Ate all my vegetables for the week.

PIKACHU: Didn't do a very good job keeping track of this  I think I only remembered to use my electric sun lamp 3 times.

Ash: Walked 10K and hatched a couple of eggs.  Hatched a diglet which gave me enough candies to evolve him.

Brock: Completed 2 strength workouts.  1 with kettlebells and the other a standard body weight workout.

Pokecoins!!! 

5 days without sugar (need 2 more to earn 50 pokecoins on my Pokemon go account).  

4 days without grains (need 3 more to earn another 50 coins).

This week I had tea with my Mom and we were offered free gluten-free scones and I didn't have the resolve to refuse. :)  Also had a movie night with the family and I already planned on getting popcorn so that was another day with grains.  

This week started off shaky but I'm back on track.  My son came down with a really high fever and I sort of forgot about the challenge. I didn't drink any water, use the sun lamp or get any exercise.  Ate plenty of vegetables though, I did avoid grains and sugar.  Today I got the sunlamp out and drank a cup of water right away.  As soon as I finish this post I'm going to go to the basement and swing my kettlebells to complete a strength workout.  Might even take a short walk just to get a jump on that as well.

• Like 1

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Challenge Update

I'm really happy with the way this challenge is going.  The level of "difficulty" is pretty low but, it's enough to push me on a few areas that have fallen by the wayside.  I'm going to use this same format and theme for the next challenge.  I'm thinking of trying out the Rangers guild since I want to focus on walking and kettlebells.  But, I love the Assassin guild minis so it's hard to decide.

SQUIRTLE:  6/21 cups of water so far

BULBASAUR: 9/21 for vegetables

PIKACHU: 2/5 for the sun lamp

Ash: 4.5 out of 10k walked. Hatched a squirtle!

Brock: 1/2 strength workouts.  

Pokecoins!!! 

5 days without sugar (need 2 more to earn 50 pokecoins on my Pokemon go account).  

6 days without grains (need 1 more to earn another 50 coins).

For the no sugar and no grains bonus goals I'm trying to make sure I avoid at least one of them each day.  Best case, of course, is that I dont have either.

• Like 3

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

15 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Know that you will be welcome in both! Glad to see you back here on NF. Seems like you're in a much better headspace. Good to see, have a great challenge!

Thank you!  I really struggled after my OCR.  I just couldn't find any motivation without something specific to train for or some other solid goal.  The Assassin minis used be enough but the last few themes haven't been very compelling.  

I have a renewed interest in my kettlebells and that is giving me some spark.  And a friend of mine trained for a Spartan so I'm starting to look at other OCRs I can try.  

• Like 3

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

So you need a new goal to strive for!

Another OCR seems like a good idea. If i were you i would pick something which is quite the challenge and which isn't tomorrow. That way you will realy feel the motivation to have to train for it, and it can/will take you some time to get there.

Too bad you are on the other side of that big pool, we are having a euro meetup around a OCR (Toughest) in Amsterdam at the end of April. You are more than welcome to join ;) 

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...

So happy to see you! You will always be welcome in Rangers and Assassins-guild, and I'll always follow you no matter where you are. Except if you tell me not to :P then I'll stop following (lurking) around. I also fell around with nothing solid to get me going on top of just being sole-deep tired. I'm only now starting to get my oomph back. Here's to new days for both of us! :loyal:

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

7 hours ago, mr_willes said:

So you need a new goal to strive for!

Another OCR seems like a good idea. If i were you i would pick something which is quite the challenge and which isn't tomorrow. That way you will realy feel the motivation to have to train for it, and it can/will take you some time to get there.

Too bad you are on the other side of that big pool, we are having a euro meetup around a OCR (Toughest) in Amsterdam at the end of April. You are more than welcome to join ;) 

If I am ever lucky enough to be in Amsterdam I think I will have other sights and sounds on my to do list. :D  I did find an OCR that had rings and couple of harder obstacles that would be a good level up from the last one I did.  It's in the summer so I could convince my daughter and/or husband to run it with me.  

5 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

So happy to see you! You will always be welcome in Rangers and Assassins-guild, and I'll always follow you no matter where you are. Except if you tell me not to :P then I'll stop following (lurking) around. I also fell around with nothing solid to get me going on top of just being sole-deep tired. I'm only now starting to get my oomph back. Here's to new days for both of us! :loyal:

So happy to hear from you!  I felt a little silly hiding here in the Rebels but it turned out to be a wise choice.  I feel like I've lived a full year of drama and emotions in just these last two months.  It feels good to be back.  

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Found you! Hi, glad it is going well.  What silly person would turn down gluten free scones? 

• Like 2

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Found you! Hi, glad it is going well.  What silly person would turn down gluten free scones? 

Hi!  Been thinking of you!  I've asked for the Simple and Sinister book for Christmas along with some new kettlebells.  I think I'm going to dig deep into some kettlebell work and see how it goes.  I'm always so impressed with your strength and the fact that we are basically the same age is very inspiring.  Maybe by this time next year I can be @Elastigirl strong.

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Great day today despite some missteps.  My DH surprised all of us with lunch today, which was so sweet of him.  He got me a Thai chicken salad because he remembered that I was increasing my vegetable intake.  But, he also got me a gluten-free chocolate cookie as a treat.  He was so proud of himself for "remembering" to make it gluten-free that I couldn't tell him that I'm trying not to eat grains or sugar.  No big deal really, it was sweet of him and I enjoyed the treat.  I'll just be extra good tomorrow.

Update includes yesterday and today..

SQUIRTLE:  10/21 cups of water so far

BULBASAUR: 15/21 for vegetables

PIKACHU: 4/5 for the sun lamp

Ash: 6k out of 10k walked. Tried to jog but my right knee said 'no'.

Brock: 2/2 strength workouts.  (will do another one this week)

Pokecoins!!! 

5 days without sugar (need 2 more to earn 75 pokecoins on my Pokemon go account).  

7 days without grains YEAH!!! 75 pokecoins for ME

(changed this so that I'd earn 75 coins instead of 50.)

Today's Workout: (based on a kettlebell warmup from Enter the Kettlebell)

Box Squats 10/10/10

Down Dog to Cobra stretch 3x

KB Halos 3 in each direction (3 times)

3 Turkish getups (2 sets with a 10lb weight and one set with none)

Also walked another 2.5k with a few attempts at jogging.  I'll need to spend some time working on my hip alignment before I try to run again.  

And... I found a group called GoRuck.  They do rucking events with the beginner rucks covering 5-7 miles.  A military guide leads the way and there is a big team building element with some obstacles tossed in along the way.  I think this would be a blast.  I'd like to find an event taking place on some rough terrain and make that the next thing I train to do.  I also want to find a partner.  DH is meh on the idea.  I have a friend that likes to run and is always looking for cross-training ideas.  She is coming over this weekend so I'm going to give her a big glass of wine and see if I can get her onboard. :)

• Like 3

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

35 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Hi!  Been thinking of you!  I've asked for the Simple and Sinister book for Christmas along with some new kettlebells.  I think I'm going to dig deep into some kettlebell work and see how it goes.  I'm always so impressed with your strength and the fact that we are basically the same age is very inspiring.  Maybe by this time next year I can be @Elastigirl strong.

You already are strong. I love S & S, it really has built strength and stability. And new kettlebells:love_heart:

• Like 2

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

6 hours ago, Lightning said:

But, he also got me a gluten-free chocolate cookie as a treat.  He was so proud of himself for "remembering" to make it gluten-free that I couldn't tell him that I'm trying not to eat grains or sugar.  No big deal really, it was sweet of him and I enjoyed the treat.  I'll just be extra good tomorrow.

Oh that is SO sweet of your husband! Yip, rather be a little extra good the next day. :love_heart:

8 hours ago, Lightning said:

I feel like I've lived a full year of drama and emotions in just these last two months.  It feels good to be back.

I really understand about that, as I've had a year's drama too and are just so tired.

You are doing stunningly on the no-sugar and no-grains! Woot! Woot!

• Like 1

Catching up but glad you made a new challenge! 

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

On 11/17/2016 at 1:19 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Oh that is SO sweet of your husband! Yip, rather be a little extra good the next day. :love_heart:

I really understand about that, as I've had a year's drama too and are just so tired.

You are doing stunningly on the no-sugar and no-grains! Woot! Woot!

I have to say that my no-sugar goal is really a low sugar goal.  I don't worry about things like ketchup or dressing (unless it's super sweet).  It's more about avoiding treats or sugary drinks.  No-grains is a strict goal,though.  My body does not do well with grains.

On 11/17/2016 at 9:25 AM, AthenaMM said:

Sounds like you're doing well! Glad you peeked out of hiding so I could find you!

On 11/17/2016 at 5:49 PM, Jonesy said:

Catching up but glad you made a new challenge! 

Hello!  ❤️

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Aaaahhhhh.  Best week I've had in a long, long time.  

Spoiler

Starting to think that hormones were partly to blame for my lousy headspace over the last couple of months.  Shark week has been more erratic and I even skipped last month.  I'm going to have to keep an eye on my moods because this is likely not the last time my hormones get out of whack.

Hard for me to believe I'm old enough for any of this because I feel more like a 20-30 year old.  But, I'm starting to accept my age rather than fighting it.  Puts a different perspective on my health and fitness.  No amount of diet and exercise can make me younger but they CAN make me feel younger and healthier.

SQUIRTLE:  16/21 cups of water so far

BULBASAUR: 18/21 for vegetables

PIKACHU: 3/5 for the sun lamp

Ash: 10k walked. Hatched another squirtle and caught enough magikarp for a Gyarados. :) 

Brock: 3/2 strength workouts.  

Pokecoins!!! 

9 days without sugar (earned 75 pokecoins and need 5 more days for another 75 coins)

10 days without grains (earned 75 pokecoins and need 4 more days for another 75 coins)

Completed an "extra" strength workout yesterday and walked 3k.  I wanted to build myself back up to 3 strength workouts a week so I'm really happy that I did that so soon.  Kettlebells are perfect for this because the workouts are shorter than my usual body weight stuff but just as effective.

20# KB swings 15/15/15/15/15

Elevated Reverse rows 6/6/6

hanging knee raises 8/8/8

superman 10/10/10

Today:. Having friends over to watch a big football game.  I made a deli platter and vegetables with dip.  My friend is bringing my favorite spinach dip with tortilla chips so I'm sure I'll eat a little grains today.  Will probably have a drink as well.  My goal is to enjoy the day but maintain moderation.  So I'm going to allow myself two drinks and a few chips.  I think if I go into these things with a plan I will handle them better.

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

I hear you on the hormones. I've also realised my last two shark attacks were a lot more emotion-intense and  I've been snappy/"bitey" all round. So I also need to keep an eye on what I eat in that regard as too much sugar/grains definitely have an influence.

Good going with the workout. Hope you enjoy the time with friends and the game.

• Like 2

Hormones can definitely mess things up. Oddly enough my last two shark weeks have had little to no emotional symptoms, only physical ones. It's been really nice.

I haven't been able to do the StartBodyweight program 3x in a week. The constantly changing reps and exercises means that something is always sore for a couple of days. But I have managed to add a kettlebell workout a couple of times. It definitely works well as an addition.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

On 11/19/2016 at 11:29 AM, AthenaMM said:

Hormones can definitely mess things up. Oddly enough my last two shark weeks have had little to no emotional symptoms, only physical ones. It's been really nice.

I haven't been able to do the StartBodyweight program 3x in a week. The constantly changing reps and exercises means that something is always sore for a couple of days. But I have managed to add a kettlebell workout a couple of times. It definitely works well as an addition.

I like to split the StartBodyweight program.  I do push moves one day then the pull moves on another.  I also add single leg deadlifts so my legs have something to do each day.  This gives me enough recovery time in between sessions and I can get in 3 workouts a week.  

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Week 2 (for me) Update

SQUIRTLE:  19/21 cups of water 

BULBASAUR: 21/21 for vegetables

PIKACHU: 3/5 for the sun lamp BUT I also got 2 days of real morning sunlight

Ash: 10k walked.  

Brock: 3/2 strength workouts.  

Pokecoins!!! 

9 days without sugar (earned 75 pokecoins and need 5 more days for another 75 coins)

10 days without grains (earned 75 pokecoins and need 4 more days for another 75 coins)

So, this weekend was a little off.  I did OK on Saturday but not as well as I thought I would.  Instead of having 2 drinks I made my drinks super, super light and had 4 over the course of 9 hours.  Just a splash of rum in some diet coke (the only time I drink soda) and some Bailey's in my coffee.  The Bailey's has sugar so that was a stupid idea because I was on track to staying sugar-free that day.  As planned, I had a few tortilla chips and avoided the rest of the grains.  Unfortunately I found a loop-hole with potato chips. :) 

On Sunday my husband went out to get the Sunday paper and brought home donuts.  I ate two with my coffee and immediately felt sick to my stomach.  Turns out my body does NOT like having to deal with that much sugar.  I have to remember this so I don't make myself sick on Thanksgiving.  It will be easy to over do it because my Mom's food is so incredible.

• Like 1

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Sunday and Monday Update 

Sunday was mostly and cleaning and running errands type of day.  I was very active but couldn't count any of the movement towards my exercise.  

Today I realized that my week is going to be filled with food and family events.  My daughter turns 18 on Wednesday so we are having family over for Thai food, apple cake and card games.  Thursday is Thanksgiving.  My mom went gluten-free a couple of years ago so I can eat all of her food and probably will.  Saturday is the last college football game of the season and it's a huge rivalry game.  We are taking my brother-in-law to the game as a special present.  This means eating out of a food truck and probably drinking a cider or two.

SO, I have to make every other day count.  I have a plan for my getting in all my workouts and walking and a plan for my food as well.  If I stick to it I should be able to hit all my goals AND earn all my pokecoins.  Part of this plan is double workouts like the one I did today...

2.5k walk with strength intervals

Box jumps 10reps 3x

Tricep push-ups 8reps 3x

Dips 6reps 3x

Goblet Squats 10reps 3x (once I got home)

• Like 1

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge