PMS Eating Food Cravings

RhiaWolfe

I've noticed that as I've been eating healthier, most of the month I feel full and fine with what I have been eating. During my period though, I want to eat ALL THE THINGS!!!! I never feel satisfied. I'm having trouble controlling my eating habits during this time. Do you have any suggestions on how to control eating during this time? I'm completely new to healthy living and I"m having trouble managing this. I would appreciate any advice. 

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Follows the Way of the Samurai

Previous Challenges: 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Fitbit Profile * Good Reads

This. 

This has always been one of my biggest problems throughout my journey.

Honestly, the only thing that has helped at all thus far to control the hormones that make me want to eat all of the things was an estrogen birth control (nuvaring specifically). But if you're trying to have children and/or you have aura migraines (or develop them like me), that's not a useful piece of advice.

Aside from that, I started with eating healthier things. So I want bread to the point that I can't handle it anymore? I eat hummus and pita chips. The pita gives me the bread I'm craving, but the hummus is good for me and makes me full faster than if I just downed a whole bag of pita chips or bag of chips or a bunch of bread (though I've been known to do this and an entire tin of hummus in one sitting. whoops).  For chocolate cravings, I find a chocolate that's so rich that I can't eat more than a little bit of it. 

I also incorporate the things I crave into my meals. Craving bread? Make a pasta dish for your meals (for me it would be pasta, alfredo sauce, peas, and chicken) or maybe add mac and cheese as a side dish with your protein and veggies. You can also look into healthier versions of unhealthy foods to try that. (zucchini pasta or something)

If there are things you can't control yourself around, especially during this time (Goldfish crackers are my enemy), then try not to have them around when you're on or around your period.

In the end, just do your best to have self control and build the self control one little bit at a time. Try things, see if they work. If they don't, try something else. I believe in you!

• Like 3

Grey Jedi Ranger

Go Beyond - Jedi's Pro Hero Challenge

Jedi Battle Log

“If you feel yourself hitting up against your limit, remember for what cause you clench your fists! Remember why you started down this path, and let that memory carry you beyond your limit”

- Toshinori Yagi (All Might), My Hero Academia

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48

The whole this.

For chocolate, I get a small amount of fancy, dark chocolate rather than a huge bag of mini Snickers. I ration it out better because it's expensive and it's so rich I can't eat more than a little at once.

I also use Chocolate Spirutien shakes with whole milk for meals when I have an upset stomach. Beats eating a loaf of sourdough bread. :)

• Like 2

I'm also struggling with this (and also, at this point). My dietician recommended that I first eat an apple or something else healthy, and then, when I'm not full I know it is because I'm hungry and should eat a meal.

Also, check out what you are craving atm. For me, it is mostly bananas right know. This could be because I need potassium or something like it. For chocolate, it could be magnesium.

• Like 3

I'm following this thread just because this is something I'm struggling with too ... my desire to eat like a large horse begins at the same time my PMS symptoms begin, about 10-12 days before my actual period, and usually lasts for about 7 or 8 of those days. I'm mostly trying to find a balance between giving my body some extra energy in case it needs it, and not feeding it Honey Nut Cheerios and Wheat Thins for a week. :) 

I really appreciate your suggestions, @TheGreyJedi-Ranger - I'm going to assimilate them into my routine posthaste!!

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 47

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

13 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

I'm following this thread just because this is something I'm struggling with too ... my desire to eat like a large horse begins at the same time my PMS symptoms begin, about 10-12 days before my actual period, and usually lasts for about 7 or 8 of those days. I'm mostly trying to find a balance between giving my body some extra energy in case it needs it, and not feeding it Honey Nut Cheerios and Wheat Thins for a week. :) 

I really appreciate your suggestions, @TheGreyJedi-Ranger - I'm going to assimilate them into my routine posthaste!!

Thank you :) I hope they help you! 

Grey Jedi Ranger

Go Beyond - Jedi's Pro Hero Challenge

Jedi Battle Log

“If you feel yourself hitting up against your limit, remember for what cause you clench your fists! Remember why you started down this path, and let that memory carry you beyond your limit”

- Toshinori Yagi (All Might), My Hero Academia

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48

Does anyone deal with mystery cravings?  Normally my TOM is ridiculously easy, but lately I've been getting weird mystery cravings that won't be satisfied.  I've tried waiting them out, drinking a LOT of water, eating healthy, eating sweets in small doses, upping vitamins..... But even when I'm not hungry, I'm craving something that I can't name.

Things subside for a short time (like, 15 min) if I eat a doughnut, but then I feel gross AND the cravings come back.

Halp.

47 minutes ago, WinterWalker said:

Does anyone deal with mystery cravings?  Normally my TOM is ridiculously easy, but lately I've been getting weird mystery cravings that won't be satisfied.  I've tried waiting them out, drinking a LOT of water, eating healthy, eating sweets in small doses, upping vitamins..... But even when I'm not hungry, I'm craving something that I can't name.

Things subside for a short time (like, 15 min) if I eat a doughnut, but then I feel gross AND the cravings come back.

Halp.

Hmm ... the only comparable thing I can offer is that I usually want to eat more when I'm PMS-ing. Like, I don't necessarily crave carbs as such (although Wheat Thins are a problem), or chocolate, or anything specific; I just want more. And more frequently - forgot to mention that. I want to eat more often, too. Maybe that's what's going on with you?

This may not be the best advice, but I usually try to just eat what my body wants during that week, with a certain amount of moderation - like, I wouldn't go binge and eat five donuts at once or anything, but I'll let myself have one donut, or a small bowl of Wheat Thins, or a couple of pieces of chocolate - as long as I'm not eating things in huge quantities, I usually am a bit more lenient with myself during that part of the month. I figure, my body's working hard to destroy itself, I might as well feed it ...  :-)

Again, may not be the most helpful advice, especially if portion control is a real problem for you at that time, or if your cravings last longer than mine (6-8 days). But I just work really hard the week after to get back on track.

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 47

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

Firstly, bear in mind that menstruation loses a lot of iron and calories. So you probably genuinely do need  more food than during the rest of the month.

Another thought - regarding the mystery craving, have you had your iron level checked and/or considered meeting with a registered dietician? I had a relative with iron-deficiency anemia whose primary symptom was intense cravings for nothing in particular. The registered dietician I met with a while back said that the kind of intense craving that makes you go out of your way for something usually means there's a deficiency your body is trying to satisfy - in my case, I was actually overcompensating on the "North Americans eat too much protein" thing and the "family's meat portion sizes are ridiculous so obviously I'm eating way too much meat) and not eating enough for my activity level and calorie needs (to give you an idea, an average woman my weight requires about 55g of protein. A woman at my activity level requires 84g of protein or thereabouts. I was eating, on average, about 16-20 grams. Per day. No wonder I was getting injuries all over the place and always exhausted.). 

• Like 1