• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

hi all!

I've been running for 15 years on and off and I would like to eventually be able to participate in the NYC marathon one day. As of now I can run 6 miles in an hour without dying but I know I need at least few half marathons under my belt before I can even consider a full marathon. I figured trying a 10k would be a good start. Right now I run 6 miles roughly once a week around a park.

I would love to get any advice or tips from experienced runners

thanks!

Hi LL,

The most important thing you need to focus on is increasing the distance you run each week. You will struggle to run 42km at one go if you're not doing that much combined over a week. In my first I'd only been running 25k per week and even when I took the mara slow it was still very hard.

Get a running heart rate monitor and don't go faster than zone 2 heart rate for at least half your runs. you need to teach your body to run without a great effort. this will be very slow at first but quickly improves. 

Get a plan, it's too easy to skip workouts if you're not following a plan. if you want to run a marathon in six months start with a 12 week half marathon plan then follow a 12 week marathon plan.

Consistency and specificity is key in training. you want to complete a long race that needs aerobic endurance. so consistent high mileage at zone 2 is the main thing. 

• Like 3

Hi LL,

I actually just ran the NYC Marathon this year.  It was my first marathon ever and I'm so glad I did it.  I recommend following one of the hal higdon plans.  I followed http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Now for a few modifications.  For starters, I did two a days while training.  I was running before work and then weight lifting at night.  One thing to keep in mind is that you MUST cross train.  Your entire body is going to need it.  Also, be VERY congnizant of what you are eating when you train.  Just because you run 20 miles, doesn't mean you throw it away with crap.

I would not train for 12 weeks personally.  The plans call for 16 weeks but I would actually push it to 20 next time.

Hope this is helpful.  Happy to talk more if you need.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2016 at 2:36 PM, LatinoLobo said:

hi all!

I've been running for 15 years on and off and I would like to eventually be able to participate in the NYC marathon one day. As of now I can run 6 miles in an hour without dying but I know I need at least few half marathons under my belt before I can even consider a full marathon. I figured trying a 10k would be a good start. Right now I run 6 miles roughly once a week around a park.

I would love to get any advice or tips from experienced runners

thanks!

This may be a bit old of a topic, but you do not necessarily need to run a few half marathons before getting into a full marathon. I signed up for a marathon despite the fact that the farthest distance I've ran at that time was 7 miles with no races under my belt. I researched a few plans out there and chose Hanson's as my go-to guide for marathon training(After all, the longest distance is 16 miles after 10+ week of training! That sounded very doable).

I ended up doing pretty dang well for my first marathon completing it about 20 minutes faster than my expected time. Like others have said, find a plan, study it carefully, then train as closely/to your best ability as possible.