I feel so much pressure to be witty and creative right now, but I'll just jump right in instead.

I'm LyFi (Lyndsey). I'm a writer. I live and work on Capitol Hill.

I haven't had a car in just about a year and it's been the best year of my life—walking and biking everywhere has made me so much more in touch with the world around me and just generally makes me feel alive. I'm sure the lack of do-I-have-a-parking-ticket anxiety doesn't hurt either.

So let's see... I usually hit spin classes 5 days a week—sometimes 6, sometimes 4. I share a very fitness-focused, clean-eating house with 3 awesome girls. My room mate (and BFF) is a fitness instructor so we do body pump or abs together after spin a few times a week. I'm always trying to do something new to keep from burning out—like trail running or yoga or kayaking—but I HATE street running. Hate. Dog at vet hate. Five year-old watching C-SPAN hate. I respect all the runners out there but my ADD is just too strong to spend that much time hitting the pavement.

I follow the paleo diet (although I eat legumes like lentils or chickpeas when I make Indian food—sue me) and drink enough water to float a battleship, but I indulge in happy hour gin and sodas a few times a week... I mean, it's DC. As my grandfather said, "nobody trusts a man who doesn't drink." My grandfather was super sexist, so I'll just assume the same applies to ladies. Anyway I'm pretty sure that's the mentality for everyone here in the swamp. If early man had access to booze, booze would totally be paleo.

Moving on...

I'm here because I've known for a while that "something is missing" and Spezzy's post really hit every nail on the head. Weight training is what's missing. I'm cardiovascularly fit, sure, and I have decent muscle tone, but I really want to take it to the next level and be the fittest, strongest LyFi I can be.

My problem is that while I confidently walk into my spin studio like I run the place, I feel like walking into the weight room at my gym could send me into a panic attack. I mean, I'm starting to get clammy right now just thinking about it. I know it's ridiculous—I have an amazing gym full of super supportive, fitness-oriented people who would all jump at the chance to give me pointers and help me get started, not point fingers and laugh at my form, but I'm irrationally scared.

So—I'm really excited to be here, I'm going to use this as a place to learn from gurus and hold myself accountable.

If anyone has any pointers for getting over my weight-room-phobia, I'm all ears!

Welcome and best of luck!

As far as breaking into the weights area.... if you are truly that nervous about it, perhaps you take it slow. Decide to do one exercise on that side of the room. Go in, do the sets of that one exercise and get out. And, then see how you feel. If you didn't have a heart attack on the spot, chances are, you will be able to go back in and do other moves. ;)

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

That is a good suggestion :) Or maybe if you have a friend who lifts weights (or your BFF?) they could go with you for moral support/strength in numbers :)

Welcome, and I'm sure you'll do great because weights are awesome!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Now I'm tracking.

I'll definitely post how it goes tonight—I'll probably sneak in after spin, find an un-intimidating machine, and try not to embarrass myself. If I avoid having a full blown panic attack, I'll ask a gym employee to give me a weight room tour.

That makes sense. I used to use weight machines in a gym years ago and I never thought I got any better results than doing push ups.

So I should really just nut up and have someone teach me to use free weights? Come on, just say it, I can take it!

*whispering* yes.

However! Another one of the tenets around here is that you need to enjoy what you're doing. Now... a lot of people get surprised by how much they enjoy lifting raw weights around (seriously primal). But that may not work for you. And I'm not saying machines are useless (though some will).

Still, yeah, why not give it a shot? One caveat would be to make sure you learn good form, right from the beginning. You learn it once, and never really have to worry about it ever again.

I guess one question is: Are you willing to embrace your inner nerd and do exercises that your peers generally don't do? You'll certainly be celebrated here.

Yet another from the "D" part of the DMV! Welcome! There are so many of us here, I feel one day we need to do a meetup. As for hitting the weight area, I felt the same way at first, and I'm a 32 year old 6'3" 200+lb man, so you'd think I'd feel at home. The first couple times well behind me, and it is now home.

Also,

"If early man had access to booze, booze would totally be paleo."

Statement of the day! Could not agree more :-)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Abso-freaking-lutely. Besides, you guys make it sound so fun!

Oh, hell yeah. There is nothing like stepping under a big weight that would flatten most of your peers, and pumping out a few sets. Or... go even heavier, push yourself to a new plateau, and end up with that rubbery feeling that it takes runners and cyclists hours to emulate.

Plus, as opposed to machines, you know *exactly* what you've done. Did you just lift up the equivalent of a king-sized bed? What sized bear did you just overhead press?

Personally, and it's logged this way... I deadlift wookiees.

Oh, hell yeah. There is nothing like stepping under a big weight that would flatten most of your peers, and pumping out a few sets. Or... go even heavier, push yourself to a new plateau, and end up with that rubbery feeling that it takes runners and cyclists hours to emulate.

Plus, as opposed to machines, you know *exactly* what you've done. Did you just lift up the equivalent of a king-sized bed? What sized bear did you just overhead press?

Personally, and it's logged this way... I deadlift wookiees.

1. I LIVE for that rubbery feeling.

2. I could probably deadlift an Ewok. Maybe two. I think wookie is a solid goal.

*nods* There is another thread on here about using wookiees for DLs. I think we determined that a wookiee is around 300 lbs - just for simplicity's sake. And according to this site, the average Ewok weighs 50kg...so around 100lbs. Heavy little buggers....

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

*nods* There is another thread on here about using wookiees for DLs. I think we determined that a wookiee is around 300 lbs - just for simplicity's sake. And according to this site, the average Ewok weighs 50kg...so around 100lbs. Heavy little buggers....

Sweet! Then I deadlifted an ewok this morning!

Ahh shit - that makes me feel weak.... Oh wait... I am. (But, getting stronger, dammit.)

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness