• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rafsmx

Starting in martial arts.

Hi guys, I'm looking for a martial art that focuses con the coordination and control of the body, based on natural movements that can help me develope strength throughout my whole body. Any suggestions?

Hi Rafsmx,

What you're looking for is the core of most martial arts, particularly the 'traditional' ones. I've done bits and pieces of a lot of arts,a few years of a few and 5 years of Taekwondo and most things I've tried would offer what you want.

The biggest factor in whether people enjoy and stick-to a martial art is usually how you mesh with the school. Find places with free trial lessons, go along and see how you get along with the people. Spend as much time at a trial watching what the seniors do as anything, get an idea of where the training will take you and what the seniors look like (lots of fat lazy people or a pack of lean, agile athletes).

The other things to watch out for is bullshidos (google it for a lot of details), but the things that trigger my internal alarm are:

Contract periods longer than a month or two

Sign-ups that guarantee a certain rank in a certain time

Arts created by the guy running this school

Any of these can be excused but suggest it's worth digging a bit deeper.

Positives to look out for are:

A core of members who have been with the school long term

Instructors with formal quals (first-aid, fitness education training etc.)

Biggest one is an atmosphere where you feel you fit in.

Hi Rafsmx,

What you're looking for is the core of most martial arts, particularly the 'traditional' ones. I've done bits and pieces of a lot of arts,a few years of a few and 5 years of Taekwondo and most things I've tried would offer what you want.

The biggest factor in whether people enjoy and stick-to a martial art is usually how you mesh with the school. Find places with free trial lessons, go along and see how you get along with the people. Spend as much time at a trial watching what the seniors do as anything, get an idea of where the training will take you and what the seniors look like (lots of fat lazy people or a pack of lean, agile athletes).

The other things to watch out for is bullshidos (google it for a lot of details), but the things that trigger my internal alarm are:

Contract periods longer than a month or two

Sign-ups that guarantee a certain rank in a certain time

Arts created by the guy running this school

Any of these can be excused but suggest it's worth digging a bit deeper.

Positives to look out for are:

A core of members who have been with the school long term

Instructors with formal quals (first-aid, fitness education training etc.)

Biggest one is an atmosphere where you feel you fit in.

Great advice.

If you need ideas, I could recommend you Kung Fu, try to find a Kung Fu style that fits you. My case is Wing Chun.

Also, I don't know if it's only me but when you practice a martial art style you can just feel it's for you, it comes naturally, like something in your guts telling you "you need to do this, now your body is complete".

I don't know it's just that Martial Arts are a big part of my life.

The best martial art is the one you're doing.

Honestly finding an instructor you trust at a school that fits you is more important than any particular style. For building strength through natural movements, pretty much any martial art will do. Some of the movements may feel a bit akward at first, but they'll become natural as you train.

What are your interests? You've had a few recommendations, but what do you see yourself in your mind's eye doing? Any art, properly trained, will give you better fitness and body control, but to stick with it you need to do something that interests and excites you; something you will be motivated to go to even when you feel like a bag of shit and completely exhausted.

There's plenty of threads on this and other sites expounding the virtues of various art forms and the methods in which they're trained that can help inform you of the basics of that style, but until you go to a class (most places have free trials) and get a feel for that instructor and school you won't really know what you'll enjoy doing (and even then you might get caught up in the moment only to realize months or years later this style wasn't for you, it happens).

Can you give us a little more on your core interests, and motivations for learning a martial art? What research you've already done? And also where you live, maybe some members know of a good school in your area already.