Question for Code Monkeys:

Guest tparker

CSS Edit for anything HTML/CSS related.

Dreamweaver for when I have to code those damned e-mail newsletters. Ugh. It's easy to use the "insert table" function from Dreamweaver instead of writing the entire code yourself, because yes, newsletters are coded the way you used to code a webpage back in the 90's with tables. Lots and lots of tables. Hooray.

There are a lot of older programs at my work that I have to keep up to date. Most of them are written in Microsoft QuickBasic so I use that. (We're talking decades old programs.) A few programs are C so I use Borland Turbo C++ for those which is actually my own personal copy. I bought it years ago to teach myself C. For any new programs that I have to write I just use Visual Basic.

I might be a Scout. I might be a Ranger. I haven't decided yet.

CSS Edit for anything HTML/CSS related.

Dreamweaver for when I have to code those damned e-mail newsletters. Ugh. It's easy to use the "insert table" function from Dreamweaver instead of writing the entire code yourself, because yes, newsletters are coded the way you used to code a webpage back in the 90's with tables. Lots and lots of tables. Hooray.

hahaha! you do email newsletters? email = my life.

i prefer to code the tables from scratch, though.

its funny, even when i'm at home, doing stuff non email related, i open up a document and immediately type <table border=0 cellspacing=0.... without even thinking :)

I use a now discontinued product called Homesite by Macromedia for any web related coding.

Notepad and SQL*Tools for any PL-SQL coding.

i miss homesite! that was what i first learned on :)

for SQL i use SQL developer.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Homesite is the SHIZZLE. I know it's not much more than a glorified text editor with tag color coding - but damn it's so intuitive and easy to use. A side affect of lack of budget in our department means we get to keep using products long after their life cycle has ended. I've got such a love affair with homesite that they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands if they ever want to take it away..

Jason

Follow my adventures!

Me | My Youtube | Facebook | RunKeeper

Oh god. You serious? You do nothing but email? Boy oh boy.

I was hired as graphic designer and I really like the graphic designing part of my job, but then a month or so after I started my boss started handing me email newsletters because I do know my HTML/CSS. It's become a big part of my job and I hate it so much, especially the testing part and Outlook 2007. Grrr. I've told my boss a billion times already but he just seems to ignore it. And unfortunately, I'm good at it. Not the best, but good. So I have to keep on doing it. Woohoo. The thing is, I started webdesiging and coding at the moment when tables were changing into divs and I think I made one or two sites with tables and went straight to the divs from there. Much easier. I never really got into tables and that's where Dreamweaver definitely helps me out.

Oh god. You serious? You do nothing but email? Boy oh boy.

I was hired as graphic designer and I really like the graphic designing part of my job, but then a month or so after I started my boss started handing me email newsletters because I do know my HTML/CSS. It's become a big part of my job and I hate it so much, especially the testing part and Outlook 2007. Grrr. I've told my boss a billion times already but he just seems to ignore it. And unfortunately, I'm good at it. Not the best, but good. So I have to keep on doing it. Woohoo. The thing is, I started webdesiging and coding at the moment when tables were changing into divs and I think I made one or two sites with tables and went straight to the divs from there. Much easier. I never really got into tables and that's where Dreamweaver definitely helps me out.

<3 email!

my entire company actually does nothing but email. we live and breathe it!

i can see how you would hate email if you're a designer - especially if you learned with divs. I learned HTML back in 96 when everything was tables, so I've got them down (plus, i've been in email for almost 4 years now, so i'm used to it) :)

seriously - i really do love it. BUT i'm not a designer. our design team/clients gets the pleasure of writing most of the HTML for us :) my group gets to take the HTML and add all of the fun stuff to it - a lot of what i work on every single piece of information/image/etc pulls in dynamically from a table somewhere so the email is customized per user. sometimes i'm seriously amazed at some of the stuff we come out with. my group still does work on basic newsletters, but i save those for training and the newlings (though with retail crazy season coming up, i'm sure i'll have to crank out a few to help the team out).

and yes, outlook 2007 = the worst email client ever. let me know if you ever get stumped, i know their rendering engine better than the back of my own hand :)

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Homesite is the SHIZZLE. I know it's not much more than a glorified text editor with tag color coding - but damn it's so intuitive and easy to use. A side affect of lack of budget in our department means we get to keep using products long after their life cycle has ended. I've got such a love affair with homesite that they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands if they ever want to take it away..

haha i get yelled at all the time for using dreamweaver as a "glorified text editor". I basically use the split view and use the design piece to get a visual of what i'm doing. my team always comes over and is like "you know you can do THIS with dreamweaver, right?". and i don't care :)

the only thing i absolutely LOVE about dreamweaver is the expanded tables view. when i have table nested within table nested within table table nested within table table nested within table table nested within table (etc) that i didn't write and am now trying to troubleshoot, that helps big time.

maybe i can convince IT to find homesite and give it to me...