North Carolina Meet Ups

232NorthCarolina.jpg

Starting a new thread for North Carolinian's interested in physical meet ups since the other was getting a little old. This is a continuation of this thread here. And is partnered with the Nerd Fitness: NC Edition Facebook Group for Rebels that are not on the forums/ don't get on the forums as regularly as they do FB. I will try and hold/ host at least one meet up every month or so and will post the details of these meetups here and on the FB group. Most of these will probably be around Central NC (Triangle area) or Eastern (Greenville area) just because that is where I live, but feel free to throw up other ideas if you're else where around the state :)

Activities will range from group workout meetups (like our first meet up), to hiking at a state park, yoga classes, to other fitness related fun (open to just about everything!). After the activity we normally like to go get a bite to eat and then possibly play board games or do other fun nerdy things if someone lives close. 

If you'd like to hold other/another meet up or have your own ideas please feel free to post your own thoughts in this thread too!  

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

wium-footbridge_0.jpg

I'm currently trying to get our next meeting planned for this weekend Sat Nov 19th (open to what time but I'm thinking around 1ish). I'm thinking doing a nice hike at Umstead State Park in Raleigh. Trails range from about .4m to 7m roundtrip and are easily walk able for all fitness levels. If you're interested in coming please let me know which Trail(s) you'd be interested in hiking. 
http://www.ncparks.gov/william-b-umstead-state-park/trails

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

NEW MEET UP

When: Sat 11/19/2016

Where: Umstead State Park [Reedy Creek Entrance] 2100 N Harrison Ave, Cary, NC 27513

Time: 1:45- (when ever we get done hiking) 

Come out at hike with your fellow nerds at Umstead state park! We'll start hiking at 2:00pm so try and meet at the Picnic Area near the Reedy Creek Entrance to the park at 1:45. We will be hiking Company Mill Trail which is 5.8miles and will probably take about 2- 2.5hours depending on how leisurely we are hiking. Please bring bottle for water as well as a light snack to enjoy about 1/2 way through the hike. 

After the hike I was thinking we could go grab a more substantial bite to eat at a nearby restaurant and possibly play some board games at a local coffee shop.

You can find the facebook event for this event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/717748895054949/

Trying to start planning for the next meet up. I believe  December 17th would be a good date, and on the hiking trip we decided that it should probably be something indoors because of the cold. Ideas that were thrown out and some of my own were a dance class, circus class (trapeze, acrobatics, handstands ex..) rock climbing, a yoga class, another class at a local gym, healthy dinner how-to/ cooking class. Any other ideas/ thoughts for good cold weather fitness fun activities? 

New Meet Up!

chicago-indoor-rock-climbing-3.jpg

Event: Indoor Rock Climbing 

Place:  Triangle Rock Club Morrisville: 102 Pheasant Wood Ct, Morrisville, NC 27560

Date: Saturday December 17, 2016

Time: Starts at 10:00am Ends around 4:00pm Lunch around 12ish

Come out and join us for a fun day of Rock Climbing at the Triangle Rock Club (Morrisville Location)! Because our passes are for a full day, and to get the most out of our time I'm thinking we start kind of early around 10:00am, climb till we get hungry, take a break for lunch and then come back and climb some more until we're tired probably ending around 4:00ish.

Facebook Event

Feb 2017 Meet Up

swing-dance-clipart-KineReeiq.jpeg

Event: Swing Dancing with the Triangle Swing Dance Society 

Place:   Carrboro Century Center (CCC): N Greensboro St, Carrboro, NC 27510

Date: Saturday Feb 18th, 2017 

Time: Dance lesson starts at 6:45pm goes to 8:00pm then there is live dancing from 8:00-11:00pm.

Price: $12 Cash

Come join us for Swing Dancing with The Triangle Swing Dance Society at the Carrboro Century Center (CCC). Price is $12 CASH. The dance Lesson Starts at 7:00pm so please arive around 6:30-45pm. Lesson is from 7-8pm Live music and continued dancing from 8-11pm. If there is interest we could meet up earlier for dinner and then head to the dance.

Facebook Event

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bea_minor3rd said:

Hey! I'm new and I live in Holly Springs, NC. I don't have a lot of friends here and I need people to do active stuff with. It looks like you guys try to do something every couple of months?

Hi and welcome, glad you're here! :) Yeah I try and host something about once a month for the NC Nerds. Its normally around the triangle area but I'm ok with driving to different place to try and do stuff around the state if there is enough interest. I post it here and on our FB Group, which you should totally join too btw ;) about 2-3 weeks before the event, so that as many people as possible can come. 

• Like 1

Is this group still active?

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

6 hours ago, Jiffy said:

Doesn't seem like it ;)

I'm a Charlottean (well, I work downtown) fwiw.

I'm on the coast.  Lots of friends in Charlotte though.  Went to college in Hickory.

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

On 9/10/2017 at 10:08 PM, Stribs said:

Is this group still active?

On 9/27/2017 at 12:48 PM, Jiffy said:

Doesn't seem like it ;)

I'm a Charlottean (well, I work downtown) fwiw.

On 9/27/2017 at 7:04 PM, Stribs said:

I'm on the coast.  Lots of friends in Charlotte though.  Went to college in Hickory.

On 9/28/2017 at 11:01 AM, Kishi said:

Raleigh, here. I wasn't ever good about keeping up with local Nerds, though. -_-

My apologies. I've been offline for too long due to my own falling off the wagon and am just now getting back into the swing of things, and would love to see this group getting some more actual meet ups off the ground again. I'll start planning something for November or perhaps December 2017 and am open to any and all suggestions.  @Stribs I'm in Greenville so pretty close to the coast where abouts, are you located?

@Jiffy Just finished visiting Charlotte for the Renn Faire two weekends ago :D Do you enjoy the Renn Faire? If I lived in Charlotte I'd probably go every weekend hahaha

@Kishi I have family in Raleigh and most of the meet ups we did earlier this year were near there too any suggestions for good nerd fit meet up activities?

54 minutes ago, Ryuu1011 said:

@Kishi I have family in Raleigh and most of the meet ups we did earlier this year were near there too any suggestions for good nerd fit meet up activities?

Well, there's a few different places. There are some rock-climbing gyms around here which I can vouch for. There's Boxcar, which is this barcade setup. Lot of people, loud, but a lot of fun and good for that sense of arcade nostalgia. There's also the Natural Science Museum downtown. Another option would be to hit up some of the hiking trails around here - Umstead's good; if you want to go to Durham, Eno River's good.

So, you know. There are options. :)

• Like 1

I'm in Willow Spring, which is maybe 45 min from Raleigh, but I can get there if something is planned!

My husband and I just signed up for a gaming convention in February. NFR, but definitely nerd related! If anyone else is interested, it would be cool to meet up and play some games. It looks like they'll have a really wide variety.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/playthrough-gaming-convention-2018-tickets-38097370260?aff=ebdsorderfblightbox

• Like 2

I'm in Wilmington, so Raleigh isn't too far for me either.

Well since everyone seems close-ish to Raleigh and right now is perfect hiking weather how does everyone feel about a day hike at Umstead in Raleigh or Eno River in Durham as Kishi recommended? How about the weekends of the 4 or 5th or the 11 or 12th of November as possible dates? We hiked Umstead last year around this time and it was a lot of fun. 

Over on the NC NF Facebook Group the 11th seemed like the most favored date so I've set up and FB event for Nov. 11th. 

New Meet Up!  Nov. 11, 2017

An inviting trail at William B. Umstead State Park

Event: Hike and Lunch at Umstead State Park

Place: 1800 N Harrison Ave, Cary, NC 27513

Date: Saturday Nov. 11, 2017

Time: 10:00am 

Price: Free but you should pack a lunch or snack if you'd like one for the trail

Join your local NC Nerds for a fun Hike at Raleigh's Umstead State Park. We'll meet at the Parking area of the Reedy Creek Entrace to the park which is right off of I-40. The Company Mill trail loops is 5.8 miles or the out and back Loblolly trail is 5.4 miles would both be a lot of fun and would probably take around 4ish hours. About 1/2 way though our hike we could also stop for a lunch/ snack break, if everyone prepares a small meal. Check out the FB Event HERE

Looks like its going to be a lovely, but slightly cool Saturday for the hike this weekend so make sure to bring a light jacket! I look forward to seeing some of you ladies and gentlemen there! 

• Like 1

My brother, Adam Mitchell and I are starting a new saber dueling club, Coastal Jedi Academy, in Morehead City, NC. He and his wife own Carolina Elite Gymnastics and will use the gym as host facility. Anyone interested please contact us via email at carolinaelitegym@hotmail.com or thru the email portal on our website, www.carolinaelitegym.com
You can view the gym on the website as well. 
He has extensive fencing, MMA and gymnastics background and Im the appointed staff instructor as well. 
One-time, one page waiver on first visit, thinking mayb a $5 cover charge to chip in toward use of the space. Tentatively thinking Monday/Wednesday 8pm till whenever for practices. 

• Like 1