I've known about this site for barely 24 hours and I love everything about it so far. It has two things I've been missing from my attempts to get in shape: a support system and a straightforward, no-nonsense attitude.

So...hi! I'm a financial analyst from Quincy, MA who thinks of life in gaming terms. Currently all my physical attributes are under-leveled and I'm looking to change that : ) I've struggled mightily in the past with my cyclical weight; in ten years I've gone from 235 lbs to 178, back up to 228, and then down to 185. This year I've watched my weight (and waistline) slowly expand yet again, but I'm determined to put in the work required to stop this cycle once and for all.

I'm not looking for six-pack abs; if I can get rid of the stomach bulge I've had since basically sixth grade, I'll be happy. I consider myself a well-rounded person, but that won't be true until I become a little less, well, round : )

Thanks for your support! If you have questions, ask away. Also, Piercewise is my e-moniker of choice; if you see it on another site, there's a good chance it's me!

Piercewise

Human Adventurer, Level 1

Current Quest: Adventure Time

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 DEX: 1 STA: 3 CON: 3 WIS: 4 CHA: 2

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness; may those who defy their fate be granted glory.

@Dustmite My biggest physical activity in the past has been jogging; I recently moved to an apartment complex that has a small room with several treadmills, so that's become easy to manage even without a gym membership. Now that the weather's nice I've been walking the last 2 miles home from work instead of taking the bus, but I consider that more of a "healthy alternative" than a real workout. I'm also always up for a game of touch football, but haven't had many opportunities recently. It looks like Nerd Fitness has quite a presence in this area, so maybe a future meetup is in order?

@MirGSS/BadWolf In the past a generic "eat less, move more" strategy lead to some weight loss, but this time I want to take things to another level. To start I'm focusing on eating better, not just less, and slowly moving away from my fairly carb-heavy diet. After reading through a few articles on this site I'm shifting my workout focus more to regular body weight routines, while using straight aerobics as a way to stay active on "rest" days.

To start I'm planning on body weight workouts Tuesday/Friday/Sunday with aerobics on Wednesday/Saturday. Monday and Thursday I have rehearsals that involve hours of standing around, so I'm leaving those free of planned workouts so as not to overburden my legs. In eight weeks (my anniversary) I'm going to see how I look and feel compared to now.

Thanks for your questions! If you have any feedback for me I'm happy to hear it.

Piercewise

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness; may those who defy their fate be granted glory.

Congratulations on your anniversary. Funny that you also listed your time in your relationship. My wife and I were recently both like, "dammit we were almost at five, and now we're back to 1?"

I would suggest that for your aerobic exercise, try to do something you enjoy. 5 scheduled days a week is a lot when you're starting off, but if you're doing something fun, it's a lot easier. Maybe there is some kind of flag football league or regular time for pick-up games that you could get in on? Or maybe you like jogging a lot too. And for me, walking two miles on a rest day is pretty good. Sometimes it's better to ease into it.

Thanks for the suggestions, nickls! I'll take your advice about finding something fun to fill my aerobic requirement. And as far as walking goes I've gotten used to it as part of my commute, so unless I'm especially sore or tired it never really feels like work!

Piercewise

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HI welcome, and congrats on your anniversary! I hope whatever plan you decide to do gets you where you're wanting to be!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis