Sara Kingdom's Hogswatch Challenge

sarakingdom

Week 0: Day 4

DO I DETECT A NOTE OF UNSEASONAL GRUMPINESS?: 5/5 points (15 total)
Sugar Piggywiggies: 1 sugar piggywiggies (5 total, just tracking)
Taking a nice hygienic bath with Ridcully: 2/5 points (5 total)
Assassins are tidy: 1/5 points (5 total)
Baby steps towards educational swordplay: 5/5 sharp points (15 total)

Waiting up for the Hogfather (last night's Black Ribbon update): fail 0/5 points (8 total)

Bonus Drumknott points: 100 points

Weekly Summary: 12/16/221/Th/F/Sa/Su (out of 175 available points)

My unseasonal grumpiness score is at risk today.  My stress levels and not-good-enough levels have been very high this week, and are sort of about to go over the edge.  I guess it will work out, more or less, and in the meantime, there are Pratchett quotes to cheer me up, like:

Spoiler

You need to believe in things that aren’t true. How else can they become?

Which is relevant to my adulting skills.  And also:

Spoiler

IT WASN’T STEALING. IT WAS JUST ... REDISTRIBUTION. IT WILL BE A GOOD DEED IN A NAUGHTY WORLD.

"No, it won’t!"

THEN IT WILL BE A NAUGHTY DEED IN A NAUGHTY WORLD AND WILL PASS COMPLETELY UNNOTICED.

Which might be my new life philosophy.

The sugar piggywiggy is some white rice.  On the plus side, I did eat it with some spartan steamed vegetables and eggs and soy sauce, but it's still white rice.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Oh man, I'm so happy with the depth and breadth of your theming. So good. So seasonal. So right.

If I have anything close to a religion, it's located somewhere between

Spoiler

The philosopher Didactylos suggested an alternative hypothesis: "Things just happen. What the hell." 

and

Spoiler

Death: HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

Susan: "Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

Death: YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

Susan: "So we can believe the big ones?"

Death: YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

On 11/29/2016 at 10:28 AM, sarakingdom said:

We're doing Guards Guards over in the reading club

Damnit, I'll never turn down an excuse to read and talk about Vimes and the Watch. DIRECT ME TO YONDER BOOK CLUB, GOOD WOMAN.

2 minutes ago, ICB said:

Damnit, I'll never turn down an excuse to read and talk about Vimes and the Watch. DIRECT ME TO YONDER BOOK CLUB, GOOD WOMAN.

Wooo, another victim!  We're over here.  We've got some total newbies and some dedicated fans, and could use a little geeking out, especially since I'm a bit MIA for parts of this and next week.

9 minutes ago, ICB said:

Oh man, I'm so happy with the depth and breadth of your theming. So good. So seasonal. So right.

I have been waiting for this challenge for months.  I was planning something slightly different, but this one is surprisingly fun.

You're back for this challenge!  I'm thrilled.

12 minutes ago, ICB said:

Hide contents

Death: HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

Susan: "Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

Death: YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

Susan: "So we can believe the big ones?"

Death: YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

This is the scene, and the precise moment in the scene, that turns this book from a wacky Christmas adventure into an impressively moving humanist thesis.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

This is the scene, and the precise moment in the scene, that turns this book from a wacky Christmas adventure into an impressively moving humanist thesis.

Yes. It's actually a part of what turned me away from the militant atheism that I was VERY INTO as a teenager: your Dawkins, your Hitchens, etc. I'm happy believing that god is the most important part of all of us, the part that we choose to believe connects us all.

See also: This essay at io9 and Adam Savage's speech/essay: "I've concluded by this that someone is paying attention—I've concluded that it's me."

• Like 1
On 11/27/2016 at 2:15 PM, sarakingdom said:

Week 0: Day 0

DO I DETECT A NOTE OF UNSEASONAL GRUMPINESS?: 0 points (0 total)
Sugar Piggywiggies: 0 sugar piggywiggies (0 total)
Taking a nice hygienic bath with Ridcully: 0 points (0 total)
Assassins are tidy: 0 points (0 total)
Baby steps towards educational swordplay: 0 sharp points (0 total)

Weekly Summary: M/Tu/W/Th/F/Sa/Su

I'm grandfathering in today's Boffo bar, even though it technically falls under the category of sugar piggywiggies.  As a loot drop received in a day that fall into both challenges, it's legal.

So basically I did not do any challenge today, and eating sugar did not appeal, so my loot drop is postponed and I am starting my pre-challenge tomorrow.  Eh, things happen.  I won't get worked up about what happens before even Week 0.

You are so far ahead of the curve on this it is terrifying. No, don't get worked up about your new goals before week 0. Or during week 0. Maybe give yourself more credit for doing superhuman work while sick, even.

On 11/29/2016 at 9:55 PM, sarakingdom said:

Also, he's not in this book, but I'm awarding 200 Drumknott bonus points for today.  Well-deserved.  I am my own PA.  Unfortunately.  (I am the worst PA.)

Three points here, five points there, then BOOM 200 points. I am glad that you are doing awesome things. Could you give us a glimpse of what you've accomplished?

Level 60  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

44 minutes ago, Mistr said:

You are so far ahead of the curve on this it is terrifying. No, don't get worked up about your new goals before week 0. Or during week 0. Maybe give yourself more credit for doing superhuman work while sick, even.

New goals are so much fun, though!  And it's a good way of adjusting my habits to my current life goals as the months tick around.

Credit comes later.  Right now, I'm still on the clock to do crazy amounts of stuff.  Fortunately, it slowed down a little, and I was able to take a holiday and a sick day or two, before moving on to the next phase.

44 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Three points here, five points there, then BOOM 200 points. I am glad that you are doing awesome things. Could you give us a glimpse of what you've accomplished?

Alas, Drumknott points are just for horrible mandatory-but-tedious paperwork and assorted bureaucracy.  Red tape is terrible.  I feel I deserve rewards for all that tedium and effort.  The size of the points is generally scaled to either importance or the effort it took me to do them.  (In this case both.  Stacks and stacks of it, including straightening out snafus, all on a deadline.  And I did not wanna.  BUT I DID.)

• Like 2

Week 0: Day 5

DO I DETECT A NOTE OF UNSEASONAL GRUMPINESS?: 2/5 points (20 total)
Sugar Piggywiggies: 1 sugar piggywiggies (6 total, just tracking)
Taking a nice hygienic bath with Ridcully: 0/5 points (7 total)
Assassins are tidy: 0/5 points (6 total)
Baby steps towards educational swordplay: 5/5 sharp points (20 total)

Waiting up for the Hogfather (last night's Black Ribbon update): fail 0/5 points (8 total)

Bonus Drumknott points: 75 points

Weekly Summary: 12/16/221/114/F/Sa/Su (out of 175 available points)

I'm starting to grade seasonal grumpiness more strictly as I move into Week 1.  Lack of focus and stuff will start to count.  Today was not a high-focus day, and I think my sleep may be a factor.  I'll have to go to a Black Ribbon meeting and drink some cocoa (und maybe haff a singalong).

My sugar piggywiggy was the Boffo bar loot drop from last challenge.  I've sort of lost the taste for sugary things, at least in concentrated form.  Most of my piggywiggies have been excessive starch consumption.  (I've been forgiving one serving, but two counts.)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 'BoutThatActionBoss said:

Hey! Just thought I would pop my head in and say hello! I am back for this challenge, and I hope for a bunch next year as well. 

Hooray!  I was wondering if you would be here this challenge.

40 minutes ago, 'BoutThatActionBoss said:

And I still need to read Guards, Guards! 2017 it will be! 

We're doing a big group reading of it this challenge here on NF!  It's over here.  Some new folks, some old-time fans.

• Like 1

Here I am! It has been way too long. Work/family/running whooped me the last few months but I wanted to come back for the end of the year and also start 2017 proper!

Oh what?!? A book club challenge?!? That is awesome! I have two books out from the library now, but I am hoping to zip through those since I have to read five books by Dec. 31, which is decidedly not easy, but I think I can make Guards, Guards one of them. Thanks for the heads up! 

Week 0: Day 6

DO I DETECT A NOTE OF UNSEASONAL GRUMPINESS?: 6/5 points (22 total)
Sugar Piggywiggies: 1 sugar piggywiggies (7 total, just tracking)
Taking a nice hygienic bath with Ridcully: 3/5 points (7 total)
Assassins are tidy: 0/5 points (6 total)
Baby steps towards educational swordplay: 5/5 sharp points (25 total)

Week 0: Day 7

DO I DETECT A NOTE OF UNSEASONAL GRUMPINESS?: 0/5 points (28 total)
Sugar Piggywiggies: 0 sugar piggywiggies (8 total, just tracking)
Taking a nice hygienic bath with Ridcully: 3/5 points (9 total)
Assassins are tidy: 1/5 points (6 total)
Baby steps towards educational swordplay: 0/5 sharp points (30 total)

Weekly Summary: 12/16/221/114/83/Sa/Su (out of 175 available points)

I'm doing way too much waiting up for the Hogfather.  I need to do less of that, or he'll never come and deliver toys.  I'm averaging a little over a sugar piggywiggy a day, most of which is starchy foods, not actual sugar.  (Also, it's a slightly forgiving score, because I tend to forgive one lapse per day, if it's not, like, a straight-up candy bar or dessert.  Like, a cup of cocoa is, macro-wise, not registering as a full piggywiggy.)  My average attention to tidiness has gone up, but it's not a perfect thing, let alone the actual tidiness level I want this week.

On the other hand, I'm doing pretty well on getting some yoga in every day.  (I might even finish the yoga every day challenge.)

I am unseasonally grumpy today.  I need a strategy.

• Like 1

I love your theme so much, I have to stick around for this! I also must re-read Hogfather this month!

Not sure what to suggest for unseasonal grumpiness, although I think you're right that it may be linked with your sleep levels.

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 0  -  CON: 0  -  CHA: 0  -  SAN: 0  -  INT: 0

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Muscle Wizard: Origins

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

35 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Meditation? Song? It's hard to keep a bad mood when those things are part of your life in any meaningful capacity...

Oh man, I sometimes have bad moods that can be made worse by meditation.  Meditation has nothing on the power of my really bad moods. :)

I got some rest, though, and I think that helped some.

36 minutes ago, Jarric said:

I love your theme so much, I have to stick around for this! I also must re-read Hogfather this month!

Not sure what to suggest for unseasonal grumpiness, although I think you're right that it may be linked with your sleep levels.

It's the best month for re-reading Hogfather. :)

Sleep unevenness is definitely not helping.  That's partly me, and partly... not.

• Like 2

(Spoiler-free, aside from the basic premise, which is on the cover.)

Week 1: Day 1

DO I DETECT A NOTE OF UNSEASONAL GRUMPINESS?: 5/5 points (30 total)
Sugar Piggywiggies: 1 sugar piggywiggies (9 total, just tracking)
Taking a nice hygienic bath with Ridcully: 1/5 points (12 total)
Assassins are tidy: 1/5 points (7 total)
Baby steps towards educational swordplay: 0/5 sharp points (35 total)

Bonus Ponder Stibbons points: 75

Weekly Summary: M/Tu/W/Th/F/Sa/Su (out of 175 available points)

The sugar piggywiggy is a loaf of gluten-free bread I made that has to get eaten.  (Also, tip for the gluten-free folks, Bob's Red Mill pizza crust makes amazing bread.)

• Like 2

Week 1: Day 2

DO I DETECT A NOTE OF UNSEASONAL GRUMPINESS?: 4/5 points (35 total)
Sugar Piggywiggies: 1 sugar piggywiggies (10 total, just tracking)
Taking a nice hygienic bath with Ridcully: 0/5 points (13 total)
Assassins are tidy: 5/5 points (8 total)
Baby steps towards educational swordplay: 0/5 sharp points (35 total)

Bonus Ponder Stibbons points: 20

Weekly Summary: 82/Tu/W/Th/F/Sa/Su (out of 175 available points)

No actual sugar in the piggywiggy, just a couple of meals with fairly nutritionless starch in 'em.

• Like 1

So I've got a request, guys.  For the next, oh, week or so, my seasonal cheer is going to be seriously tested by life things.  I could use some cheerful seasonal gifs and videos and quotes and things, doled out at intervals.

• Like 1

Week 1: Day 3

DO I DETECT A NOTE OF UNSEASONAL GRUMPINESS?: 5/5 points (39 total)
Sugar Piggywiggies: 0 sugar piggywiggies (10 total, just tracking)
Taking a nice hygienic bath with Ridcully: 5/5 points (13 total)
Assassins are tidy: 4/5 points (13 total)
Baby steps towards educational swordplay: 2/5 sharp points (35 total)

Weekly Summary: 82/29/W/Th/F/Sa/Su (out of 175 available points)

Well, that was a day.  SO EXHAUSTED.  (I vill succeed at ze Black Ribbon pledge, because I vas so exhausted I fell out of zer shower und right into zer bed.)

I actually did very well on sugar piggywiggies today.  Slightly looser than the Primal 80/20, but not much looser.

• Like 4

Week 1: Day 4

DO I DETECT A NOTE OF UNSEASONAL GRUMPINESS?: 5/5 points (44 total)
Sugar Piggywiggies: 1 sugar piggywiggies (10 total, just tracking)
Taking a nice hygienic bath with Ridcully: 3/5 points (18 total)
Assassins are tidy: 5/5 points (17 total)
Baby steps towards educational swordplay: 5/5 sharp points (37 total)

Waiting up for the Hogfather (last night's Black Ribbon update): pass 5/5 points (8 total)

Weekly Summary: 82/29/16/23/F/Sa/Su (out of 175 available points)

• Like 2

Following for December stressing.

And adding Hogfather to my growing list of Discworld books.

• Like 2

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Week 1: Day 5

DO I DETECT A NOTE OF UNSEASONAL GRUMPINESS?: 5/5 points (49 total)
Sugar Piggywiggies: 1 sugar piggywiggies (11 total, just tracking)
Taking a nice hygienic bath with Ridcully: 4/5 points (21 total)
Assassins are tidy: 3/5 points (22 total)
Baby steps towards educational swordplay: 0/5 sharp points (42 total)

Waiting up for the Hogfather (last night's Black Ribbon update): technical pass 3/5 points (13 total)

Weekly Summary: 82/29/16/23/F/Sa/Su (out of 175 available points)

Tired in the morning.  Very tired.  I have life things making me exhausted.  I just can't seem to get on top of my sleep, although it's approaching eight hours.  I'm hoping it improves, I've taken some steps to improve my nutrition, which has been a problem for a couple of days.  (Sugar piggywiggies are not actual sugar, but a lot of rice noodles.  Life stuff again.)

Yesterday's workout was walking the streets of Ankh-Morpork at night, which, as we know, is an exercise best left to assassins.  (Admittedly, I was not walking in the Shades.)

• Like 2

Week 1: Day 6

DO I DETECT A NOTE OF UNSEASONAL GRUMPINESS?: 6/5 points (54 total)
Sugar Piggywiggies: 1 sugar piggywiggies (12 total, just tracking)
Taking a nice hygienic bath with Ridcully: 0/5 points (25 total)
Assassins are tidy: 0/5 points (25 total)
Baby steps towards educational swordplay: 0/5 sharp points (42 total)

Waiting up for the Hogfather (last night's Black Ribbon update): fail 0/5 points (16 total)

Weekly Summary: 82/29/16/23/15/Sa/Su (out of 175 available points)

Total Black Ribbon failure.  But for good, responsible reasons.  And I was so tired, there was no yoga.  Just exhaustion.  I enjoyed my bath with Ridcully yesterday, it was incredibly welcome at the end of the day, and also very hygienic.  And I managed to be largely tidy... okay, it was a slight stretch, but I did some responsible things that an assassin would see to.  (I got groceries delivered, which is posh, so I could make home-made meals with baby spinach and other nonsense rather than keep eating crappy available food-desert fast food, which is posh, and I did retirement savings planning, which is posh.  People who do that sort of thing went either to the Assassin's School, or the Quirm College for Young Ladies.  And I got some work things organized, and did some cleaning.  Oh, and got a head start on laundry.  Hrm, maybe I should get all five points for yesterday...)

I'm super-pleased about sorting out the food.  That's a big quality of life thing solved this week.  I'm living out of a suitcase with no grocery stores for miles, but I'm eating okay, and feel a lot better for it.  It's not my total ideal situation, in that it's lower in protein and higher in rice noodles than I'd usually want - the cooking limitations of temporary housing, I'm mostly sticking to boiling water as a cooking method - but it's reasonably balanced by general standards, and, importantly, it's not cheap franchise food, which is salty and greasy and starchy and low in fresh produce, and also difficult to get gluten-free.  (In fact, I had a packed lunch for a lunch meeting that was getting food from a place where I couldn't safely eat anything, and that was a big win.  And frankly, I think my double-serving-of-baby-spinach, rice noodles in peanut sauce, and roasted pork was probably better than the food there, and cost me $3 instead of $9.  I'm not a $9 for lunch sort of person at the best of times, and definitely not on a day when I'm doing retirement planning.)

• Like 3

Well, it sounds like your present food situation allows you to do more right things than wrong things. Even if the macros don't line up quite the way you want, your micros sound like they're better-preserved than they'd otherwise be, and for purposes of health and general wellbeing that's the more important part.

So, all in all, it sounds like a win! And way better than I would have handled it. :D