• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DJtrippyT

The Secret Life of DJ Trippy T, part II: Mitty to the Max

I don’t have a lot of plot exposition this time around, as I’m just mildly adjusting my last challenge, The Secret Life, which I feel really speaks to my overarching goals at the moment. I really want to travel more (by ‘more’ I think I mean ‘all the time’) and showcase my travel writing and photography more, so this challenge is designed for those things. Also, my December is going to be nuts so a simple challenge is best ;)

Walter Mitty, if you didn’t follow my last challenge, is a boring worker drone who has this amazing inner fantasy life and finally gets the chance to live them out for real. You can read the my whole saga here if you have way to much time on your hands.

I also have a big trip coming in late spring that I’ll talk about more next challenge, but this challenge will begin to lay the groundwork. (And the financing.)

To the Goals: 

large.4404420c6544781a4b63bacf79120dc6.jpg

PUT OUT THE MAGAZINE: I had a really hard time with this last time around; I’m not sure if it’s that I never seem to have a large block of time to get editing/writing done, or if I just have terminal ADD, but I only got it done once. So editing/writing is a big priority this time. 

Goal: “publish” something once a week, and post to my blog twice.

Travel Journal: work on an ebook. I have like 3-ebooks half written (all about travel, go figure) so I need to work on those.

large.2209bf5e139e5c6a71981c0ff8e09de0.jpg

Sell the Piano: Travel may be the only thing you buy that makes you richer, but it still costs money. I need to find ways to make extra cash to pay for it. I used to have a little ebay business where I sold second-hand clothes and old props and whatever, so I am going to start that again and funnel all the money into my travel fund. I’ll also be looking into other ways to generate income (sell my plasma? dog walking? ladies wrestling?) that also goes to the travel kitty. 

large.c65e54934e70f154f0c5eccd07bca54a.jpg

Get it? It's a travel kitty.

large.aec479e882d647cc3b87d2a8855a34b6.jpg

Bake the Cake: Last challenge I attempted to eat a different foreign cuisine every week, which was frighteningly easy, because I love to eat out. However, I spend a fortune eating out in general, probably 6-7 times a week.  So this challenge I am limiting meals out to two per week (meals that someone else pays for, like when I’m traveling for work, do not count against this), and making myself cook/eat at home. Still going to attempt to eat as much ethnic cuisine as possible. This will make it easier for me to control my intake, as restaurants (especially Tex-Mex, my favorite) tend to go overboard with the food, and work on my nutrition.

large.583a2d073a74c_13925303262-16-201411-25-56AM.jpg

Adventure Waits for no one: Again, aiming for one adventure a week. Can be a band, a hike, camping, kayaking, becoming a hermit in a mountain fastness, something.

Ungoverned Afganistan: My domestic rangering is in severe disarray. One whole section of our house is basically unusable due to mess (I live in one of those sprawling split-ranch houses, it’s way to big and falling apart around us). I need to work on cleaning the patio, den, and my office daily and get it under control.

Test the Body and Mind: Workouts. I’ll list these later so they don’t bore everyone, because they haven’t changed a ton. Just harder :)

I’m also going to add one brain puzzle per day to my regimen, because lately I feel like I’m getting stupider. I think it’s just a combination of too much on my mind and a lot of distraction, but I gotta work on it.

By the way, in case it seems weird that I have so much travel stuff on a site devoted to workout challenges, I have to say that my whole “get in shape” journey was started because I got so out of condition that traveling was becoming difficult. One of the reasons I finally snapped to and started getting stuff under control was watching my parents age badly and realizing that if I wanted to continue traveling as I got older, I needed to maintain the machine. So the two things go very much hand-in-hand in my book.

So that’s it! Join me on my very Mitty challenge if you’d be so kind.

large.2d0fe58bf1b90a4d056a8a397bec2dc6.jpg

• Like 6

I love the travel theme. Tried to post a picture of my cat in a suitcase, but couldn't get it to work :-(

And I'm psyched to hear how your crossfit session goes.

• Like 1

On 27/11/2016 at 1:03 AM, DJtrippyT said:

I’ll also be looking into other ways to generate income (sell my plasma? dog walking? ladies wrestling?)

Just say the word if you need a partner in this. 

Following! 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2016 at 0:40 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

First to follow!

large.kitten-with-medal-dreamstime.jpg

On 11/27/2016 at 5:41 AM, IAmInfinite said:

Woop! Travel and developing self are the best! I'm also trying to raise money for my gap year, and it's a scary prospect, but it'll happen! 

Travel is the only thing I am capable of deliberatly saving money for. Anything else - retirement, new roof, dental work - I have to set up one of those sneaky auto-deductions in my checking account so I don't notice it.

On 11/27/2016 at 5:55 AM, Muir said:

Following, because who doesn't like to travel?

Right? and when you go there's almost certainly delicious food there.

15 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I love all the travel and adventures. Your challenge is very inspiring to me to break out and have adventures!

You're very kind. I worry that my challenges are boring sometimes.

9 hours ago, OddlyOtter said:

Wow You've got a lot of goals this month. That's okay though! I"ll be following along to make sure you stick with them!

I have Obsessive Challenge Disorder. Occasionally it gets out of hand.

8 hours ago, Xena said:

I love the travel theme. Tried to post a picture of my cat in a suitcase, but couldn't get it to work :-(

And I'm psyched to hear how your crossfit session goes.

Ha! Mine does that too!

I'm super excited about the crossfit seminar. Less enthused about my Spartan the next day, as I don't know if I'm ready and it's supposed to be 50 degrees (F) and raining...

4 hours ago, deftona said:

Just say the word if you need a partner in this. 

Awesome. @Sloth the Enduring can be our manager and we'll take it on the road

• Like 3

I am there with you in the cleaning required department.  We have a room that we want to make into our computer room, but right now it's a storage unit with a wide range of crap that needs to be removed.  As far as the cooking thing Ben and I will pick a random dish we haven't made at least once a month and try it out, it may help with adding some fun/motivation... then again Ben and I are weird so it might not, lol :D  Following for your adventures!

59 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Your laters last longer than anyone else's in the whole world. 

large_url.jpg

59 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Which I'll forgive for pictures of you and/or Def lady wrestling.

Where's that private photostream link... ;)

• Like 3

Week Zero Update:

large.OB-JO765_0814hi_G_20100814162559.jpg

I really do not think this week could have gone any worse, challenge-wise.

Publish the Magazine: hahahahahahaha fuck no.

Travel Blog: I opened a word file for a new ebook and gave it a document name. Surely this is some new baseline low for accomplishments.

Sell The Piano: I picked out some items to put on ebay, but I haven't put them up yet. 

Bake the Cake: Holy Son of Sausages, this was awful. I didn't meal prep because we had so much leftover from Thanksgiving, and when it ran out I was wildly unmotivated to cook. I think I ate out nine times, culminating in Popeye's Fried Chicken yesterday on my way home from my weightlifting seminar. And by the way, I'd like to talk to whoever is in charge of Popeye's "spicy" breading, because that is some bland-ass chicken and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Adventure waits for no one: I did my Crossfit Weightlifting seminar, which was AWESOME. I finally feel like I know how to snatch (go ahead, giggle; I'll wait) and my Clean & Jerk is WAY improved. The seminar itself was fantastic - I expected like 50 people to be there and for EZ Muhammad, the Crossfit guy, to kind of peripherally teach while other trainers worked with people. Instead, there were only eleven of us - eleven! - and EZ taught the whole class himself, which was awesome. He really knows his stuff. So that was GREAT.

Less great is the fact that I was supposed to do my Spartan Race today, and I didn't do it. Bad weather came in and this morning it was 44 degrees F and raining when I woke up (that's 6 degrees C for you celsius people). I got up, got dressed, and by the time it was time to leave it had dropped to 42 degrees and it was pouring rain.

I finally decided that my long-term goals would not be best served by my dying of exposure in the Georgia woods (or falling and breaking a wrist/ankle) so I backed down and didn't go. This was probably sensible, but I hate myself. Honestly the biggest factor was that I was going to be in the last wave, and I knew that I would wind up falling behind and be out there in the freezing rain alone (I had a friend who was also doing it but they were running earlier with a team). If I had been in an earlier wave and was sure there would still be people behind me on the course I would have gone.

Sigh. I'm a chickenshit and you should all be ashamed of me.

My only consolation is that my friend who did do it said it was horrible and that people were dropping out in droves, literally getting to the starting line and going "fuck it" and leaving every time the rain opened up. 

Ungoverned Afganistan: I cleaned my office a little. Yay! Progress on the most boring of my goals! I hate myself.

Test the Body and Mind: This was so-so. I got in a 20 mile bike ride and one gym workout, and then I eased up because I knew I had my seminar and the Spartan I was allegedly still doing at that point. I'm also currently revising my workouts to get me an extra day in gym so I can get fitter and work on my snatch. (go ahead, I'll wait...)

I did two brain puzzles, which was good. It was just an easy brain game where you pick a letter and then have to think of 30 words that start with it. It's a good way to get the brain cranking in the morning.

Sooooooo.... all in all a weird week. It's been a lot of up and down - I finally broke down and bought some more winter clothes, so I'm more comfortable, but I had to finally acknowledge that if I want to wear jeans I have to wear jeggings. Jeggings! Oh, god, the humiliation. But they're the only thing that fit my quads. I got new contact lenses, and now I can see SO GOOD - I can see individual leaves on trees! I can read street signs! - but my new prescription is so strong I can't see shit up close and have to wear reading glasses. Gaaaah. Can orthopedic shoes and a walker be far behind? And I got a new phone, which I really like, but it wouldn't talk to the Mantis's phone for like two days and I was really freaked out because the Mantis and I text all day long, like a pair of sixteen-year-old girls. It's fixed now though. Oh, and I screwed up my hair yet again. My boyfriend is so pissed. But I found out I can give myself a mowhawk with enough hair gel! Stupendous.

I apologize for that brief window into my various neurosi.

This week should be somewhat better, but I go out of town for work Thursday and don't get back til next week so I'm not going to be to hard on myself. Just gotta get out there and work it.

large.funny_penguin.jpg

• Like 1

Nope.

You don't get to be chickenshit. You are not chickenshit. I'm not ashamed of you no matter how much you want me to be. I'm sorry you had a bad week but that does not entitle you to self loathing. You are a damned amazing Ranger and I'll hear no more of this defeatist nonsense. You be as disappointed as you want that the Spartan didn't happen, but no more negative self talk.

• Like 2

It honestly sounded like you weren't all that excited about the Spartan in the first place but you WERE quite excited about the CF seminar. I'm really glad you went to the seminar and that it was as good as you hoped. Build on that, and don't go back to Popeyes. If you are going to eat something "off plan," at least make it something you enjoy.

You know how sometimes a cat knocks something over and then looks at it like...what? that wasn't me! I don't know how that happened! That could be a way to think about zero week. Or at least it's cute.

http://bethaneywallace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/the-cat-is-an-ass-hole-knocking-over-drinks-sign.jpg

• Like 2

I'll admit I'm disappointed, but I'm not disappointed in you. Cold and rainy and the last wave is an ugly combination; I would have bowed out too. But I'm disappointed I won't be reading your Spartan write-up, that would have been epic.

Maybe your brave thing could be posting a picture of the new hair?

• Like 3

On 12/4/2016 at 6:29 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Nope.

You don't get to be chickenshit. You are not chickenshit. I'm not ashamed of you no matter how much you want me to be. I'm sorry you had a bad week but that does not entitle you to self loathing. You are a damned amazing Ranger and I'll hear no more of this defeatist nonsense. You be as disappointed as you want that the Spartan didn't happen, but no more negative self talk.

I WILL WALLOW IN MY SELF-LOATHING UNTIL I AM SATISFIED.

large_url.jpg

On 12/4/2016 at 7:47 PM, Xena said:

It honestly sounded like you weren't all that excited about the Spartan in the first place but you WERE quite excited about the CF seminar. I'm really glad you went to the seminar and that it was as good as you hoped. Build on that, and don't go back to Popeyes. If you are going to eat something "off plan," at least make it something you enjoy.

You know how sometimes a cat knocks something over and then looks at it like...what? that wasn't me! I don't know how that happened! That could be a way to think about zero week. Or at least it's cute.

http://bethaneywallace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/the-cat-is-an-ass-hole-knocking-over-drinks-sign.jpg

Actually, I was excited about it, but I knew I wasn't trained enough. So I was really scared.

I would still like to try it again.

I like this picture, because it gives me a reason to link to my favorite youtube video of all time: 

shorter version:

On 12/4/2016 at 7:55 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'll admit I'm disappointed, but I'm not disappointed in you. Cold and rainy and the last wave is an ugly combination; I would have bowed out too. But I'm disappointed I won't be reading your Spartan write-up, that would have been epic.

Maybe your brave thing could be posting a picture of the new hair?

yes, the Mantis said much the same thing. Then again he hates training in the cold.

My Spartan write-up would have involved vast amounts of swearing.

Do you want the photo with or sans mohawk?

On 12/6/2016 at 9:23 AM, doctorake said:

Make this week a god/great week. 

I know this is probably just a typo, but the idea of a "god week" intrigues me. Especially if that god is Loki.

large.Loki-Approves-With-a-Thumbs-Up.gif

Week One Update: 

Put out the magazine: Not so far. It's another week for other people's magazines.

Travel Journal: Already posted to my blog once. yay!

Sell the Piano: temporarily holding as I'm out of town for work, but will do the minute I get home.

Bake the Cake: Actually good! I ate lunch out Monday and we went out to dinner Monday night because it was my boyfriend's birthday (we had barbeque) but all my other meals this week were at home, including breakfast this morning before I went to the airport. Since I'm now on the road this won't apply for the rest of the week.

Ungoverned Afganistan: I brought all my big tropical plants in off the patio as it's about to freeze, which will make cleaning the patio that much easier. I also cleaned more of my office.

Test the body and mind: 

Gym tuesday: Improving.

two rounds:

thrusters 20 reps #60

back fly 20 reps #15

box jumps x 10

bench press 20 reps #40

Leg extension 20 reps #85 - this is a new high weight

delt raise 20 reps #15

Jump rope x 90 - new high, was doing 75 before. Can't quite do 90 unbroken though.

tricep dip x 5 (bodyweight) - these are new. They're hard.

Kb Swing 20 rep #35 bell

Prowler push 140 lbs x 2

Then I did snatch practice. I was doing it with just the bar at the seminar Saturday, today I added some weight and did 3 sets of 5 at 65 pounds. Fun.

I should have ridden my bike yesterday but I hung out with the Mantis instead. 

Workouts the rest of this week will depend on the fitness center at the hotel. I brought workout stuff so I can definitely get something in, and I packed my ice skates (the TSA must have had a field day) because I want to skate at Rockefeller center if I get a day off. I haven't done that since I was a little girl.

• Like 4

Spartan race or not you are still awesome to me :)

Buuuuuut I'm not gonna lie, I was totally looking forward for the write up. You know I love your writing style

• Like 1

just checking in, my challenge is a mess with all my work travel this month but I did get to go skating in Rockefeller center so I didn't drag my skates to NY for nothing

large.IMG_0130.JPG

I'm really out of practice. It was fun though and so pretty.

We shot all night for two nights in Liberty Plaza, I swear I am still tired. I was supposed to ride with the Mantis today and I just could not do it. I did hang out with him on Monday for an hour just to yap.

large.IMG_0096.JPG

most entertaining part of new york trip was that the day before our shoot I had some downtime so I did a sorta-murph workout in the hotel gym - ran half a mile on treadmill, did 100 upright rows, 50 pushups, 100 bw squats, then ran another half mile. I forgot that when you run on the treadmill you use a different sort of muscle arrangement than when you run regular (Xena can probably back me up on this) and I hate running and never do it anyway so by the next day I was SO SORE and stiff and waddling like a penguin. And I swear every 15 minutes someone wanted something from our car, which - this being new york - was parked two blocks away and down SIX FLIGHTS of stairs that looked like something out of National Treasure. Oh, my god. It was agony.

Our client on this job made no secret of the fact that she thought I was an idiot and then I had to add this to it

large.giphy.gif

Anyway I'm home now. Went back to the gym yesterday and back on the bike tomorrow. Currently drowning in post-job paperwork.

• Like 4