Assassin's Spiritual Journey

Love_Of_Snuggles

Greeting and Salutations Druids,

I hope you don't mind a visiting assassin for this last challenge of the year. I have struggled a bit with my previous challenges, so I wish to spend a bit more time reflecting on how I want to approach the new year. 

Challenge #8

Assassin's Spiritual Journey

I have chosen a path, but I have not taken the time to truly reflect on and get in the mindset of my journey. My mind is as cluttered as my space. With the holidays and new year approaching I believe it’s a good time for me to focus on defining the path I wish to take. Towards that end I will shape this challenge to help guide me in my journey.

make a choice.jpg

Meditation: This will be a 2 part goal. The first part is getting into the habit of practicing some kind of meditation every day. This can be walking meditation (No vocal music or books on tape allowed), sitting quietly, or something else I come up with. The goal is to do it daily with the amount of time increasing gradually. I want to clear my mind and center myself.

1. Week 1 practiced a minimum of 3 times = .5(WIS)
  2. Week 2 practiced a minimum of 4 times = .5(WIS)
  3. Week 3 practiced a minimum of 5 times = .5(WIS)
  4. Week 4 practiced a minimum of 6 times = .5(WIS)

The second part will be reflecting on a specific topic. There are a couple of big questions I haven’t really addressed in my life and I believe I need to. For these, I will dedicate 10 uninterrupted minutes to reflecting on one of the following questions…

1.  = Why is doing my physical therapy so challenging? .5(WIS)

2.  = How do I see the Assassin in my real life? .5(WIS)

3.  = What will I do if I’m not accepted into grad school? .5(WIS)

4.  = Do I truly want to spend my life alone? .5(WIS)

(I am not looking for feedback on the topics I wish to reflect on, unless it is a way to expand on the them)

Meditation.jpg

Physical Therapy

Yes I hate it with a passion. It is tiring and soul sucking and the absolute bane of my existence. However, I need to do this and I want this to become habit before the new year. My back injury is preventing me from doing the things in life I want to, like parkour, tango and rock climbing. Before I can truly begin my Assassin Training, I need to be injury free.

2 Sets (Everyday)

• Trunk Rotation 10 times
  • Bridge 10 times
  • Spinal stretch, Hold for 15 seconds 3 times both sides
  • Dog to Camel pose 10 times
  • Knee Planks, Work up to 2 min each set
  • Quadriceps Stretch, Hold for 15 seconds 3 times both sides
  • Shoulder Rolls, forward and backward, 10 count each

A.  = last ten days of my challenge = 2(STA) & 2(STR) & 2(DEX)

B.  = last nine days of my challenge = 1.5(STA) & 1.5(STR) & 1.5(DEX)

C.  = last eight days of my challenge = 1(STA) & 1(STR) & 1(DEX)

D.  = last seven days of my challenge = .5(STA) & .5(STR) & .5(DEX)

Bonus: If I can complete 5 days in a row before the end of the challenge I will treat myself to "Make up 101" class I've been wanting to do

PT.jpg

Workday Vegetarian (Stolen from TedTalks weekday vegetarian)

As I have been accessing my diet, I believe I am eating too much meat. There are many other ways to get the protein I need and I want to start exploring them. I have found that eating fruits and veggies are not much of a challenge from the last 2 challenges, but I want to see if limiting my meat intake, specifically my unhealthy meat intake. (Edit: My work days will be from midnight Sunday Morning to midnight Thursday evening)

A.  = 4 weeks sucessful = 3(CON)

B.  = 3 weeks sucessful = 2.25(CON)

C.  = 2 weeks sucessful = 1.5(CON)

D.  = 1 weeks sucessful= .75(CON)

tofu.jpg

Life Goal – Writing

I love writing, when I sit down and do it. Although my journal is important, I want this challenge to include my fiction writing and letter writing as well. With the holiday season approaching I want to focus on writing all of my loved ones a personal letter. I also need to make sure that I am taking the time to write down my reflections from my meditations and insights I gain from this challenge. I would also like to transcribe my hand written novel pages to a digital file and add to it.

A.  = 12 times during the 4 week challenge = 1(WIS) & 1(CHA)

B.  = 9 times during the 4 week challenge = .75(WIS) & .75(CHA)

C.  = 7 times during the 4 week challenge = .5(WIS) & .5(CHA)

D.  = 4 times during the 4 week challenge = .25(WIS) & .25(CHA)

Epic Quest bonus points: For each digital entry journal I transcribe into my handwritten journal I get 10 points + 25 if I complete all!

rick-castle-pic-300x257.jpg

• Like 3

Khajiit Assassin in Training

“Even the word Hopeless...isn't void of Hope."

Good goals. I'll be following.

I'm actually thinking about going veggie myself once the holidays are over.

Also, I've been trying to get to work on all the crazy ideas for novels in my head, so I'm in for the writing too.

What are you going to grad school for? (I've been there/done that too)

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

2 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Good goals. I'll be following.

I'm actually thinking about going veggie myself once the holidays are over.

Also, I've been trying to get to work on all the crazy ideas for novels in my head, so I'm in for the writing too.

What are you going to grad school for? (I've been there/done that too)

Thank you Curl,

I'm hoping to get my Masters in Higher Education. I really want to work with student housing and/or recruitment. 

What kind of novels are you interested in writing? 

2 hours ago, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

Thank you Curl,

I'm hoping to get my Masters in Higher Education. I really want to work with student housing and/or recruitment. 

What kind of novels are you interested in writing? 

You're welcome.

My ideas for novels are mostly post-modern and fantasy/sci-fi. Really I just start with some weird idea and see what kind of plot or perspective emerges.

Because civilization really needs to hear its own history told from Sasquatch's perspective.

• Like 2

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

On 27/11/2016 at 0:35 PM, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

I want to focus on writing all of my loved ones a personal letter

That's lovely!

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

On meditation, I wonder why you are increasing the number of times each week. I would think that if you aren't meditating at all or regularly now, then meditating 3x a week for four weeks would be pretty wonderful. More is not always better. :)

Looking forward to being along for the journey.

And @Curl Brogo, I definitely want to be an advance-reader to the Sasquatch history of humanity!

From my blog post on meditation:

meditation is the art and practice of simplicity of thought, without ego and without ornamentation.

To begin a meditation practice, do not look at how often you can increase the practice, or how long you can sustain it. Look instead at the quality of the experience. What was smooth and what was difficult? In answering the question, we begin to play the practice, for it is through reflection that we are able to understand where we are simple and where we are showy. Sometimes, while singing the song, we are able to hit the notes, and sometimes we are not; sometimes the melody flows easily from us and sometimes it does not. But it is always singing. The difference between a novice’s warble and a virtuoso’s solo is simple: practice in an environment of feedback, not one of failure. There is not so much success with meditation as there is ease.

And when simplicity of thought comes with ease, all things will be more in balance, and the Way will be more clear.

• Like 1

&,
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

@ Heidi

I don't know how I want to approach meditation. I may want to do 3 times a week for a longer time or maybe daily for a few minutes to center myself. Maybe I do a little of both. I figure that giving myself a goal I can grow into as it fits me best would give me the best chance at success. It also allows me to only meditate once or twice the first week without feeling like I failed to meet the specified goal. 

Although I have meditated in the past, I have never had a regular meditation schedule or pattern. I think this is a great way foe me to set one up in a way that works for me. 

Day 1: I am ready to start the final challenge of the year. My fridge is packed full of meatless food, my space has been organized for my physical theray, I have a new desk for writing and I have put together some great instrumentals for meditation. Bring It!

My first real experience with meditation was through Soto Zen gatherings, a very formal atmosphere with a strict emphasis on posture and breath, and meditation was done in complete silence, in the best lotus pose your legs would allow. And we'd put 90 min into meditation 40 min sitting, 10 walking, 40 sitting. That's a lot of sitting. In the silence you feel your stomach start to churn and gurgle from lack of breakfast, and you hear everyone else's too, and each time they swallow or shift on their zafu. We practiced in a yoga studio next to some train tracks. About ten minutes from the end of the second sitting session I'd really be "centered" and relaxed in my mediation. Everything would be coming together. Then, a train would come through, a big loud noisy train shaking the ground, blowing its horns and we'd hear the ringing bells from the crossing on the road. And the whole time we just let ourselves breath while all the thoughts, sensations, urges, and insults of life just came and went.

I always left feeling very relaxed, accepting, and open... not necessarily good mind you, my legs would be stiff and sore, and I'd be tired because the service would start earlier than I'd have liked to wake up on a Sunday morning.

My first teacher said that the most important thing starting was to do it everyday, and 5 min was plenty to start with. That was just for formal sitting practice. So he recommended practicing during the day, for instance, while driving, or doing chores. The real challenge was to live in that mindset all the time, where you can let obsessive thinking, worrying, and insults come and go with little regard or reaction for them. We sit on a cushion and meditate to figure out how to do it, for practice, because its easiest in a safe quiet space. But if we want to get anything from it we also need to learn to be mindful off the cushion, in real life.

• Like 2

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Day 2 update: So today was a bit more of a challenge. I was running late getting to work so I rushed my PT, but I did get 1 full set in. I stuck to the vegetarian diet, but  don't think PB&Fluff sandwiches could ever be called healthy, lol! I also did around 4 minutes of quiet breathing/inner focus. Not too shabby. 

I think I will adjust my PT to the morning before I go to bed. This way I'm not rushing through it to get to work on time. I also want to take some time and prep some healthy veggie meals for lunch. I think my plan will be to focus on my first question on Thursday, my night off, so I can also take some time to journal on my reflections. 

Speaking of writing, I need to light a fire on that one. I have only gotten as far as writing a list of people I want to write a letter too. (Not counting that as one of my writing times) Many times in the past I have done much of my journal writing at work. I need to make time at home to do so as well. 

So one of the best things about how I laid out this challenge is I sleep in the middle. Because I work 3rd shift I get up between 5-6pm and go to bed between 9:30-10am. This means if I forget something or run out of time before bed, I still have time to complete the challenge when I get up. Awesome! 

So Day 3 was good. I managed a veggie diet, got a full set of PT in and spent about 5 minutes in quiet contemplation. I still need to focus a bit more on my writing. I'm not managing my time in a good way that allows me solid time to focus on my PT, not rush through it, to really spend some time on my writing as well as cooking some healthier meals. 

• Like 1

OK, so day 4 was a complete bust. I didn't get any PT, meditation or writing in and I grabbed the real meat chicken instead of the fake meat chicken. I slept really badly and as a result, everything fell apart. I am rallying though!

I have the next 2 nights off so I need to accomplish the following things to support my goals:

1. I need to shop for some good veggies and prepare some meals in advance.

2. I need to set aside a time and space to meditate.

3. I need to set aside a time and space for my PT

4. I want to start drafts for 3 Christmas letters.

5. I need to start logging my food again to determine if eating no meat is healthier than eating healthy with meats. I also want to have a plan in place if I need to ammend my eating goal.

On 8/12/2016 at 0:10 PM, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

OK, so day 4 was a complete bust. I didn't get any PT, meditation or writing in and I grabbed the real meat chicken instead of the fake meat chicken. I slept really badly and as a result, everything fell apart. I am rallying though!

I have the next 2 nights off so I need to accomplish the following things to support my goals:

1. I need to shop for some good veggies and prepare some meals in advance.

2. I need to set aside a time and space to meditate.

3. I need to set aside a time and space for my PT

4. I want to start drafts for 3 Christmas letters.

5. I need to start logging my food again to determine if eating no meat is healthier than eating healthy with meats. I also want to have a plan in place if I need to ammend my eating goal.

How did it go?

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

22 hours ago, zenLara said:

How did it go?

OK. I got the shopping and cooking done. I did a massive overhaul of my space, but didn't quite finish so need to finish that. When that is done, I will have a wonderful space for meditating and physical therapy. I didn't get the Christmas drafts written, but I did do some journaling. I also bought some blank cards to send out my holiday wishes. I have started logging my food intake again to see if my current diet will be healthy enough or if I need to make amendments. Overall, I'm pleased with my progress so far. 

• Like 2

Great job with the space overhaul. Having a regular place to do it helps a ton. I've been lacking in both meditation and workout space from living with my parents. But tomorrow, I'm moving into my own place (excitement), and one of my goals with moving is to plan my space(s) carefully as I unpack and get things I need.

For food logging are you on MFP?

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Good job!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

For food logging are you on MFP?

I have a Fitbit so I'm just logging (or trying to, lol) my food intake there. That way all of my fitness information stays together. How did the move go? 

20 hours ago, zenLara said:

Good job!

Thank you. 

On 11/27/2016 at 3:35 AM, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

What will I do if I’m not accepted into grad school?

Reflections

I spent 20 minutes reflecting on this and I have several options, or paths that will be available to me. First, I will allow myself up to 2 weeks to mourn the loss of this dream. I have put so much into the search, the application process and on myself.

After I mourn, I will look for full time work at one of the local schools. If I am not able to find something by June, I will expand my search to include openings for sorority mom jobs. Although not my favorite work, I am comfortable doing it for a couple of years while I get my finances on track and can have some time to determine where and how I want my future to play out.

I will give myself 2 years from when I discover not getting accepted to get my finances on track, but then I need to have a plan in place about what I want to do with my life, where I want to live and how I want to live. I don’t have to pay off all of my undergrad debt, but I need to have some money saved and the bulk of my credit cards paid off. (Possibly a part time job to help)

I also want to lay the groundwork for setting up healthy habits and mindsets for my future. I don’t want to spiral into a depression, which has happened in the past, because of this one setback.

• Like 1

Update from week 1 (a bit late)

So PT has been a hit and miss. I'm getting better at doing it, but I still need improvement. I have started logging my PT on my calendar so I can clearly see when I have done it, and when I haven't.

I did manage going meat free for 4 days last week, but I had meat on days I wasn't supposed to. I also wasn't eating very healthy. I have also started logging my food intake to better review what I'm eating. 

I managed meditating 4 times last week, which I'm very proud of. 

Writing has been great. I have 5 solid writings. Not too shabby for my first week.

1 hour ago, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

openings for sorority mom jobs.

What kind of job is that? I don't think I understand the concept.

1 minute ago, zenLara said:

What kind of job is that? I don't think I understand the concept.

I used to work as one before I moved. Basically it's similar to a Resident Director at a college. I managed the house, repairs, staffing, made sure rules were followed and was available for emergencies to the members of the sorority house.