~RedStone~ is ~RedStone~ is ~RedStone~

My down and dirty, super straight forward workout log.

auYTo57.pngauYTo57.pngauYTo57.png

• Like 5

Monday Nov 28

Flow was dance heavy, some stretching but not for long enough, hams are tight and gave me trouble during front squats. Have to allow for longer holds or I'm going to have to separate you two and there won't be any dinner! Just kidding, everyone has to be eating pretty much all the time :P I did a little work on handstand/balance stuff and fell over a lot.

T&F Warmup

Activation Circuit X2

10X Hip Switch (these are becoming much easier to control. I'm starting to lock out and hold at the end of each switch. Arms and shoulders are no longer compensating)

10X Single Leg RDLs 17.5# KB

2X Lat walks ea side for distance (35' each way I think, I'm using the red singshot band just above the knee like you'd use for bench assist)

Deadlifts

8X 65#

5X 125#

3X 145#

5X 165#

4X5 170#

Front Squats

5X 65#

3X 95#

Next 2 - Supersetted with 45 sec planks

4X 110# Straps F on 5

4X5 110# Straps

3X5 75#

2X5 75# 1 sec pause

I added the last 5X5 cause I'm shit at front squats, and I hate doing things I'm bad at. So the only solution to get better at them is to do more of them. Kind of a catch 22, but I will do what needs to be done. Also, dropping the weight so much A: gives me an easy win, which keeps me going, and B: allows me to work on form. I already did the Rx, so whatevs. Lou didn't mind or think it was a problem at all. 

Otherwise, I've been doing small sets of one handed incline pushup throughout the day just casually, to get better at them, and it's working - I started last week against the wall and am doing them against the piano and kitchen table now. Nothing strict about this, just a bunch throughout the day - I noticed that the 22 pushups challenge over the summer was a real game changer even though it was not a lot of pushups everyday. So, keeping that in mind. I did maybe 40 or so on each side today.

• Like 3

So many good things on here. 

I can't do front squats (but maybe later next year) so it's hard for me to relate. But they seem like such an awkward exercise to me, balancing the barbell in the front like that. Even dumbbell goblet squats can seem awkward at times, figuring out how to move all parts of the body at once when there is a weight in front in hand. I'll be cheering you on as you progress with these!

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

23 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

So many good things on here. 

I can't do front squats (but maybe later next year) so it's hard for me to relate. But they seem like such an awkward exercise to me, balancing the barbell in the front like that. Even dumbbell goblet squats can seem awkward at times, figuring out how to move all parts of the body at once when there is a weight in front in hand. I'll be cheering you on as you progress with these!

It's terribly uncomfortable on the delts as the weight increases. And it's one of those things where the weight itself isn't substantial for a squatting movement, but changing the directional force of gravity is. The straps help me A LOT but even then it's pretty tough!

• Like 1

Weds Nov 30

Should have been a de-load but my AMRAPS have been in the teens so we kept going. AMRAP dipped below 10, so we'll see next week.

DOMS from Monday in right Ham and lower erectors. I was a little worried I maybe tweaked something in my back on Monday, but the DOMS say my core is doing what it should be so I think I'm good.

Limited T&F

Activation Circuit X2

X10 Band Rotation yellow band These were a real struggle at the beginning of the wave and now are totally easy :o 

X10 Ring Face Pulls

X10 Pushups

X10 Flat Bench Flye #15DB

Bench Warmups

8X 45#

5X 65#

Singles 3 sec Pause

2X1 95#

AMRAP 95# 8reps

1 Sec Pause

3X6 90#

SS 4X10 Flat DB Bench 25#

SS 4X10 Single Arm Rows 16Kg

3X20 Incline Press 15# DB

3X10 Hammer curls 20# DB

Very little in way of other movement work. Some stretching, hardly a flow. Yesterday was nil, full rest day cause difficult week. Sleeping in tomorrow, hopefully this will help. 

• Like 2

Friday November 2

Squats, and last day of volume. Decided last night to do NF yoga everyday for this challenge instead of choosing a foundations program that costs moneys. I have several days to change my mind. It's clear that press work needs work. I believe I can do simple programming for the ground work on that. 

Last night's flow was exploratory. Today was heavier on hip openers and transition, as well as heel to toe lifts for pressing. Small movements and KILLER. Lift was this afternoon. I feel ready for higher intensity wave starting next week, volume tapped out at this summer's 80%S-95%B-70%DL prior easy easy with AMRAPS between 8-15.

I'm still sitting at 106-107# on the regular.

T&F

Activation Circuit X2

10X BW Squat

5X Box Pistol Squats ea side

10X Frog Bridge

Wide Leg Box Squat  

8X 45#

5X 95#

3X 115#

4X8 135#

Back Squat 1 sec Pause

3X5 135#

RDL

3X8 40#DB

Single Leg DL

3X10 16Kg KB

Worked more squat details. I have very narrow feet and it seems that balance is something I'm constantly compensating for... I'm rolling in and pronating quite a bit in squats and I think it's because I don't have a wide enough base - I notice a lot of rolling in looking for balance. I struggle with a lot of my isometric work so def something to look at, probably in kung fu drills. So that's one thing. We also refined bar position, hip angle and head position. Feels solid.

• Like 1

Tuesday, November 6

I was wrong. One more week of volume before moving to triples and doubles! Deadlift day.  Volume was challenging, but not undoable challenging. Just... suffering form on the last reps. Skipped track and field.

Activation Circuit X2

X10 Hip Switches

X10 1 Leg RDL 15# DB

X4 Lat walks for distance red slingshot

Deadlifts

5X 135#

5X 155#

3X 170#

5X5 185#

Front Squats

8X 45#

5X 65#

3X 80#

3X5 105# SS with 45 Sec Planks

Flow today was more mobility, long stretches particularly targeting hamstrings. Last night was more press work. I like the press work, this will continue.

• Like 2

Press and Ham stretch centered flow. Bench day. Pizza. I am FREAKING EXHAUSTED.

T&F

Activation Circuit X2

X10 Band Rotation

X10 TRX Face Pulls

X10 Pushups

X10 DB Flat Flyes 15#

Bench Stick Pause

2X5 100# Rep PR

1X2 100# F on 3

1X3 100# To make up for the F

Bench 3 Second Pause

3X6 85# 

SS

3X8 30# DB Flat Bench

3X10 1 Arm Rows 35# KB

Incline Press 20# DB

1X10

1X9 F on 10

1X9 Shallow on 10

Worked out a nice detail on bench, unfortunately at the end of the 3X8s at lower weight. Excited to see how it applies next week... Lou was funny saying how we would have to try to remember that... as if I would forget something that made my bench sooooo much more solid LULZ :P 

• Like 2

There's really no way to sugar coat this. I was hungover AF for squats this morning. (And technically still am as I make post workout chocolate donut french toast and chicken breakfast sausages) I'm surprised, I didn't really drink that much wine last night, but dinner was a hearty-ish soup so maybe there just wasn't as much solids to soak up the booze... regardless, I felt light headed and faint throughout the entire workout even tho the lifts felt solid enough. (Also, do I feel fanit because of the caffeine??? IDK...) 

I'm recording my timing because I'm trying to gauge crash time with caffeine pills for the meet... but since I felt super off all morning I'm not sure today will be a good sample:

6:30 - woke up still drunk, tossed and turned until:

8:30 - 16 oz water, fell back to sleep

10:00 - woke up again. Had 12 oz coffee

10:50 - took 400mg caffeine, left for training

11 - 12:15 - lift session with Lou. 

T&S

ACX2

10X BW Squats

X5 Box Pistols (These are getting much easier after last week's pronation adjustment. May have to see how they go to the floor soon.)

X10 Frog Bridges

Box Squats

8X 45#

5X 85#

3X 115#

2X 135#

4X8 145# Rep PR

Back Squats

3X5 145#

2X5 115# (Practice for form)

RDL

1X10 40#DBs

1X10 35#KBs

1X8 40# DBs

Single Leg DL

3X10 35#KB

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RedStone said:

There's really no way to sugar coat this. I was hungover AF for squats this morning. (And technically still am as I make post workout chocolate donut french toast and chicken breakfast sausages) I'm surprised, I didn't really drink that much wine last night, but dinner was a hearty-ish soup so maybe there just wasn't as much solids to soak up the booze... regardless, I felt light headed and faint throughout the entire workout even tho the lifts felt solid enough. (Also, do I feel fanit because of the caffeine??? IDK...) 

I'm recording my timing because I'm trying to gauge crash time with caffeine pills for the meet... but since I felt super off all morning I'm not sure today will be a good sample:

6:30 - woke up still drunk, tossed and turned until:

8:30 - 16 oz water, fell back to sleep

10:00 - woke up again. Had 12 oz coffee

10:50 - took 400mg caffeine, left for training

11 - 12:15 - lift session with Lou. 

Chocolate donut French toast sounds amazing.

When I go from still drunk to super hungover, I'll definitely get lightheaded, and sometimes dizzy. And caffeine just makes that a lot worse for me. (I turned up to a few too many classes like this back when I was drinking heavily.)

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Monday December 12

I genuinely thought my volume was going down in relation to the weight going up. Maybe this will happen in the next block... it did not happen today. I couldn't wait to do any of the stuff when I got home, I devoured leftover buffalo chicken fingers from Saturday's bar crawl. And it wasn't enough. I am contemplating a simple batch of power cakes... and maybe even a macro blowout because I need repair and I can feel it.

T&F

Activation Circuit X2

6X UB Lat Rack ea si

15X Wall Slide

30 Sec Hanging twists

2 Sec Pause Bench

8X 45#

5X 85#

Rx: 5X6 105#

Reality:

1X6

1X4

1X3 (wraps first time)

1X4 (wraps no thumb)

1X5 No more wraps from here on down

1X4

Close Grip Bench

3X12 65#

~Superset~

CJ Bench

3X10 45#

Lat Raises

12X 12#

3X12 10#

~Superset~

Floor Press

4X15 20# DB

Face Pulls

4X20 12Kg KB

Seated Curls

10X 15# DB

2X10 12# DB

This took a long time to get through. Flow will be restorative tonight, preferably after a hot shower. 3659# towards the mini.

• Like 3

Wednesday December 14

Limited T&F

Activation Circuit X2

10X Banded Good mornings

10X Half Split RDL 15#DB ea side

10X Single leg glute bridge ea side

Deficit (sumo-ish) DLs

5X 65#

4X5 115#

Sumo DLs

3X12 130#

Front Squat (dude)

3X12 75#

Finisher Circuit X3

Good mornings

3X15 65#

Split Goblet Squats

3X10 35# KB

Ring Fallouts

3X10

Much lighter and easy than bench day. I'm not sure what this will look like with more weight though so no judgement in the too easy pile LOL and at first Lou had me with front squats at 100#... 3X12??? I could barely push 5 at 105 last week! I told him I'd try but he was all - oh, maybe lets rethink these percentages... _/\_ #grateful #ihatefrontsquats #whyareyoumakingmedofrontsquats

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Even these chaps think that's a bit excessive.

th?&id=OIP.M4c831daac1137f3565a9d0a12a691ab5H0&w=299&h=203&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Right? I really don't want to be a wimp about stuff :P but that just seemed wrong. By the end of the last block I was still struggling to get that 5th rep up at 105#...

Just now, Laghail said:

Almost BW front squats 3x12, and this is pretty early in your front squat career?

Oh yeah, for sure. I had front squats as accessories in PHUL, but if I remember it was volume and I don't think I ever really worked over 75... 85 at the most? I'm not even sure if I ever tried to push 85#+ so the last block with Lou was weight and rep PRs all around. Super new! And I hate them! SO MUCH!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, RedStone said:

Oh yeah, for sure. I had front squats as accessories in PHUL, but if I remember it was volume and I don't think I ever really worked over 75... 85 at the most? I'm not even sure if I ever tried to push 85#+ so the last block with Lou was weight and rep PRs all around. Super new! And I hate them! SO MUCH!

UGH the collarbone bruises UGH

UGH

3 minutes ago, ixaera said:

UGH the collarbone bruises UGH

UGH

Double UGH indeed! And I'm still undecided on cross arm or not... arms seem to hold form a bit better that way, but the bar threatens my neck in a very disconcerting way... it hits in the exact spot I would want to pop someone if I needed to disable them. Very uncomfortable indeed.