Lightning wants to Be the Very Best

Lightning

I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was

I believe that I am  ready to be my very best.  I know what makes me feel and look my best, I just need to follow through.  

I'm taking my pokemon with me to give me some inspiration and companionship along the journey. 

Bulbasaur: 4 servings of fruits and vegetables every day

Squirtle:  3 cups of water/herbal tea every day

Charmander:  Keep the metabolism fired up with 10k of walking/rucking every week

Pikachu: 5 days of real sun or electric sun lamp (20 minutes)

Gym Battle:  Train for the Rainbow badge by completing 10 kettlebell workouts (following "Enter the Kettlebell")

Pokemon Coins Bonus:

No grains = 1/2 a coin

Low sugar = 1/2 a coins

5 Coins = 100 PokeCoins on my PokemonGo game

• Like 6

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

Jumping right in and starting my challenge today.  With the holiday looming and family coming into town I know the entire week before Christmas will be filled with non-challenge activities.  So, I am going to begin my 4-weeks now and consider anything that I accomplish during Christmas week as a bonus.

Also, decided to try a challenge with the Rangers.  My goals of walking/rucking and kettlebells sort of made it an obvious fit. I still feel like my long-term goals make me a true Assassin, but the Rangers feel like the place for me right now.

Day 1

Bulbasaur: 2 servings of fruit and 2 servings of vegetables

Squirtle:  3 cups of water/herbal tea 

Charmander: not today

Pikachu: not today

Gym Battle:  

Completed my KB workout this morning.  The warmup includes some ATG squats with lots of time spent opening up the hips, some back stretches, and KB halos. The bulk of the workout consists of 100 swings with light cardio done in-between swing sets.  So, I did sets of 10 swings and did some jogging in place or punching bag work for a minute or two then did 10 more swings.  Today I completed 40 swings using both hands and 60 single-arm swings.  I'm currently using a 20# KB and plan to increase that to 25# around Xmas.  Turkish get-ups are seriously hard for me so I'm doing those with a 10# weight.  Only did 3 TGUs per side but I take my time and really focus on my form.

Pokemon Coins Bonus:

No grains = 1/2 a coin

Low sugar = 1/2 a coin ***

***Low sugar means that I don't fret over things like sugar in ketchup or tomato sauce.  I try to avoid items with more than 5g or sugar.

• Like 7

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Love everything about this challenge!! Kettlebells, rucking and Pokemon= awesomesauce

Have you tried shoe TGU's? You place a shoe on your closed fist and use it in place of a weight. If you want, later I can find a link for you. It is a great way to tach form.TGU's are really hard at first, but they get better as you go along. They are great for building shoulder stability.I'm guessing you're like I was, and don't have very good shoulder stability. You will be amazed at what a difference it makes once you start building up shoulder stability.

• Like 5

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 11/27/2016 at 9:43 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

It seems like everyone's a Ranger at least once.

I've noticed!

23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Nerd Fitness is made up of Rangers and people who do not yet realize they are Rangers.

Maybe I'll aim for a hybrid Assassin-Ranger. :) 

22 hours ago, OddlyOtter said:

OMG I ADORE THIS CHALLENGE THEME. You're the best in my eyes already. 

This is amazing. 

You're amazing.

THANK YOU! 

hours ago, mr_willes said:

Good to see you Lightning! You'll do great here! The Ranger Corps will have your back!

Thank you Mr_Willes!  I'm excited to meet some new Nerds.

13 hours ago, annyshay said:

YAS!

Also, @Elastigirl got a lot of benefit from shoe TGUs, I believe. The form is helpful even without crazy weights. You go, Pokemon Trainer!

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Love everything about this challenge!! Kettlebells, rucking and Pokemon= awesomesauce

Have you tried shoe TGU's? You place a shoe on your closed fist and use it in place of a weight. If you want, later I can find a link for you. It is a great way to tach form.TGU's are really hard at first, but they get better as you go along. They are great for building shoulder stability.I'm guessing you're like I was, and don't have very good shoulder stability. You will be amazed at what a difference it makes once you start building up shoulder stability.

I tried shoe TGU's a long time ago and was horrible at them.  In fact, I learned about them on @Elastigirl's challenge page.  I suppose its time to try them again. Not looking forward to getting hit in the face by my shoe. :D

• Like 4

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Day 2

Bulbasaur: 4 servings of vegetables

Charmander: 3K of walking

Pikachu: used the sunlamp this morning

Gym Battle:  

Not today. Probably won't get in another KB workout until Wednesday.

Pokemon Coins Bonus:

No grains = 1/2 a coin

Low sugar = 1/2 a coin

Had a friend over for tea and art!  I made some Christmas cards while she worked on journal pages.  It was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon.  Her daughter and my kids are friends as well so everyone had a nice time.  I had some leftover Thanksgiving cookies that my Mom had brought over and I put those out along with vegetables and dip and some homemade cheese crisps.  I let everyone else eat the cookies while I kept to the vegetables and cheese.  It was a good day. 

• Like 3

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

On 11/28/2016 at 11:44 AM, Elastigirl said:

Water getups really groove the movement. Be water, my friend. TGUs seem to respond very well to frequency.

• Like 4

Day 3

Bulbasaur: 2 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit

Charmander: 1.5K of walking

Pikachu: used the sunlamp this morning AND took a short walk outside

Gym Battle:  

Practiced TGUs with a shoe.  I am SO MUCH better at these than I was a year ago!  When I did them with my right hand I never lost the shoe.  My other side was harder but, I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I can't make a fist with my left hand. My index finger doesn't bend and I had trouble getting the shoe to rest on my fist even when I wasn't moving.  @Machete I like those water TGUs.  That is something I can just do randomly throughout the day for additional practice.  Thanks for the video!

Pokemon Coins Bonus:

No grains = 1/2 a coin

Low sugar = 1/2 a coin

Alright!  3 days with zero grains and very low sugar.  I made honey-ginger chicken yesterday and that was the only sweetener I had.  Today I'm going to make cookies for the family and try a sugar-free cookie recipe for myself.  The recipe uses nut butter, dates, and egg.  I found a nut butter in the store that already has dates in it along with cocoa and coconut so I'm going to just add some egg and see what happens.  I will only make 3-4 cookies but, I do want to have a tasty sugar-free, grain-free cookie option for Christmas.  Also going to make a big pot of stew; it's my favorite way to get in a lot of vegetables when the weather is cold. 

tumblr_mf50v9mwHl1r8suc9o1_500.gif

That little art day with my friend is making me want to get my paints and canvas out.  For now, I'm going to have to be satisfied with making cards and messing around with my bullet journal.  Maybe after the holiday's I can carve out some time for my art.  Could be a challenge goal for next year...

pikachuapproves.jpg

• Like 4

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Love the goals this challenge and love the cute journal. :) 

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

5 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Love the goals this challenge and love the cute journal. :) 

Thanks!  i think you were the person that mentioned doing journal pages in pencil before putting down ink.  I did that with the Pokemon pages and am much happier with the final result.  Takes longer, but I look forward to opening my journal each day and checking in boxes.

35 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

Picked up Pokemon Sun! Following!

Wish I had a 3DS because I would love to play Sun.  I've heard it is one of the best Pokemon games to come out in a long time.

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Day 4

Updating tonight instead of tomorrow morning because I am expecting a busy day...

Bulbasaur: 3 servings of vegetables and 1 serving of fruit

Squirtle:  5 cups of water/herbal tea 

Charmander: no walking today

Pikachu: forgot

Gym Battle:  

Warmup- 10 goblet squats, 10 halos, hip stretches, down-dog to cobra

100 KB swings (one-armed) 

Cardio in-between swings (jacks, punching bag, jogging in place)

3 sets of TGUs (light weight)

Pokemon Coins Bonus:

No grains = 1/2 a coin

Low sugar = 1/2 a coin

Grain-free sugar-free cookies were meh.  I put them in the freezer which actually made them kind of fudgy so that was a bonus.  Everything else went as planned despite feeling a little off most of the day.  We've had a big swing in temperatures here from really cold to Spring-like temps.  I also get a little sick (allergies probably) when that happens.  Still did all my housecleaning, wrapped gifts with my son, made stew, and cookies for my husband.  

Kettlebell workout felt pretty good.  I'm working on making sure that I really drive the KB with my legs and the motion of my body rather than pulling with my arms.  I did all the swings one-handed so that helped me focus on form and using my lower body.  I did one warm-up TGU with a shoe and kept it nice and steady.  Was going to try doing a TGU with a cup of water but I got thirsty and drank it. :)  

• Like 5

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

22 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Personally, I think it is much smarter to drink the water than balance it:biggrin-new: But, that's because everyone time I tried the water TGU I ended up just getting wet.:)

i still want to try it once, just out of curiosity.  I'll be sure to use my good hand when I try it though. ;)

I watched some different TGU videos today to get the movements more ingrained in my head.  It was interesting to see the (very) minor differences between videos.  Mostly leg angles and when to sweep the opposite leg back into the lunge position.  

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Half-filled protein shaker bottle with water also works, and it leaves no mess in case you mess up.

Ultimately the Turkish Getup is a self-correcting exercise as long as it's reasonably challenging. I have two TGU videos with different weights, 20 and 100, that pretty much boil down to the same principles: slow down, maintain tension, and control the weight as you move under it. The weight WILL give you feedback if you're doing something wrong.

• Like 4

Day 5

Bulbasaur: 3 servings of vegetables and 1.5 serving of fruit

Squirtle:  5 cups of water/herbal tea 

Charmander: 2k (too freaking cold for more than that) Need to strap on a backpack and start rucking instead of just walking.

Pikachu: used the sun lamp while I drank my morning coffee

Gym Battle:  

Nope, too sore to even think about it.

Pokemon Coins Bonus:

No grains = 1/2 a coin (yes again)

Low sugar = 1/2 a coin (yup!)

I wrestled with whether or not I could give myself the credit for low sugar today.  I didn't have actual sugar, I just had too many sweet fruits.  I scarfed down the leftover almond butter and date "cookies" for breakfast this morning.  I felt a little guilty about it because I started to eat them mindlessly and had more than I meant to.  Then I got over it. :)  I'm just working on avoiding sugars like honey, agave, white sugar, etc.  And, I made a very small batch of cookies so it really wasn't that bad.  It was a good reminder to stay focused when I'm eating or make sure I take a portion rather than eat out of the container.

• Like 5

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

9 minutes ago, Machete said:

Half-filled protein shaker bottle with water also works, and it leaves no mess in case you mess up.

Ultimately the Turkish Getup is a self-correcting exercise as long as it's reasonably challenging. I have two TGU videos with different weights, 20 and 100, that pretty much boil down to the same principles: slow down, maintain tension, and control the weight as you move under it. The weight WILL give you feedback if you're doing something wrong.

Holy Crap!  That is insane!

I remember watching a video that focused on pushing up with the KB on the first half of the TGU.  I try to imagine that the KB is leading the way (sort of  pulling me up) as I do the movements. Then I reverse that on the way down.

• Like 3

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge