'Tis the season for a new challenge!

Yay.... I think.

I'm saving my Swords of Power challenge for January/February when I will have maybe come up with a way to assign attributes that aren't all purely mental and habit control (ex: "avoid the influence of Mindsword/Skulltwister by not even looking at memes or Netflix or Crunchyroll or <insert long list of distractors>", "do not sit at home doing nothing for all of break like you're possessed by Soulcutter", etc etc).

Anyway, what better way to theme at this time of the year than through Christmas celebration!  (awkward fragment is awkward lol)

Note: still a draft.

"The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear."

• Practice clarinet and accumulate at least 10 points per week
    -2 points for no or insignificant practice
    0 points for significant practice less than an hour in duration
    +2 points for the first hour in a day
    +1 point per each additional half hour
  • +1 for singing practice

"The four food groups are candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup."

• make good choices in food so I can make all the bad choices when Christmas cookies and candy roll out. :D
  • Goal: average 2 points per day

:barbershop_quartet_ He's making a list, checking it twice

Basically making sure I stay on top of academics into the Finals season and through winter break.

I'm taking Bio 2 next semester but it's been 6-and-a-half years since I had AP Bio so woot.

Going to keep working on Japanese as well.

All the tacky Christmas clothing!

Tacky Christmas socks

Flexibility exercises for splits. EVERYDAY.  Following advice from 30 Days & Stretches to Splits with supplementary material from GMB Fitness (both links I found here on NFR)

Tacky Christmas sweater

100 Push-ups challenge starting on week 1 column 1

Tacky Christmas hat

At the moment, this just encompasses all the other physical activity I might do.

:barbershop_quartet_ He knows when you are sleeping, he knows when you're awake

Sleep!  I've been doing better with the sleeping part.  Now I just need to do better on the awake-time time management without sacrificing sleep (oops).

Happy Birthday Jesus

Daily reading the Bible in preparation for Christmas.  Even if it's just 5 minutes.  Church.... kind of counts?  So 8 possible pts /wk

I'm running out of list related metaphors.

• I need to post a log (or at least a point distribution) here every week.  I'm going to make it so that if I don't post my weekly log, all of my positive logging points negate.
  • I also need to update my spreadsheet daily (so I don't forget details).
  • I'm not 100% sure yet but I think this week is going to overlap both the end of my SU challenge (because the infrastructure is already there in that spreadsheet) and the beginning of this challenge.
  • I'm still going over some ideas with regard to point distribution, category weights, and adjustments so that negative points just zero out instead of bleeding into other categories.  I might use a combination.

Reward system (likely related to presents under the Christmas tree) forthcoming.

• Like 3

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

I've updated my challenge. It's still in draft stage for multiple reasons lol.

I already see improvement in my push-ups (I was doing a few inconsistently before I officially started my challenge - my goal is every other day or 3 times a week).  I can go further down and accomplish more consecutive reps than before, and these are regular push-ups, not on my knees, with good form.  I am so happy about this.

Not seeing much improvement in my splits challenge other than I was able to hold the stretches longer yesterday than Sunday.  I do a set between each set of push-ups.

• Like 1

So I probably should have included this in my update for yesterday but I've done a bit of research since then so yeah... sort of.

So obviously the first stretch on the 30 days to splits thing is you clasp your hands behind your back, lift them, and hinge forward at the hips.  Well in order to save strain on my shoulders, I also arched my back a little to both somewhat deepen the stretch and to make it so gravity was working for me in that I wouldn't have to engage my shoulders as much because my arms were balanced to go that way anyway.  Apparently I shouldn't have done that because I got what I can best describe as a Charley horse in the backs of my shoulders (like scapula related) and had to stretch them immediately to stop the pain. There's lingering soreness of course when I hit the right spots but anyway.  It's not the first time I've ever had this type of pain (I sometimes get it while lifting weights, which I haven't done in a while, and usually closer to the tops of my shoulders around where they meet the neck), but it was the first time that I recall having it from that kind of stretch.

I texted my mom about it today and she asked if it could be spasticity given the location.  My dad apparently has spasticity as part of his MS so I had heard of the term but I didn't really know what it was, so I did what any good college student would do and looked it up on Wikipedia.

Spasticity
Classification and external resources
Specialty Neurology
ICD-10 R25.2
DiseasesDB 20872
MedlinePlus 003297
eMedicine neuro/706 pmr/177
MeSH D009128

Spasticity (from Greek spasmos-, meaning "drawing, pulling") is a feature of altered skeletal muscleperformance with a combination of paralysis, increased tendon reflex activity and hypertonia. It is also colloquially referred to as an unusual "tightness", stiffness, or "pull" of muscles.

Clinically, spasticity results from the loss of inhibition of motor neurons, causing excessive muscle contraction. This ultimately leads to hyperreflexia, an exaggerated deep tendon reflex. Spasticity is often treated with the drug baclofen, which acts as anagonist at GABA receptors, which are inhibitory.

Spastic cerebral palsy is the most common form ofcerebral palsy, which is group of permanent movement problems that do not get worse over time.GABA's inhibitory actions contribute to baclofen's efficacy as an anti-spasticity agent.

At first I didn't think it really sounded like what I was experiencing (read the whole entry, looked at the links, etc) but after processing it all day I wonder.

I should probably see a doctor.  It's been a while since I last went.

While I'm there for spasticity, I should probably also mention my acquired intermittent unilateral nystagmus.  Those are both possible symptoms of MS, and since my dad has it, there's a possibility that I might develop it too.

Edit: I found it on MedScape.  Really doesn't sound like what I have been experiencing.

13 hours ago, Snickie said:

I should probably see a doctor.  It's been a while since I last went.

While I'm there for spasticity, I should probably also mention my acquired intermittent unilateral nystagmus.  Those are both possible symptoms of MS, and since my dad has it, there's a possibility that I might develop it too.

Never hurts to get things checked out. A stitch in time, etc. I also had issues with the arms behind the back thing, so I just joined my hands behind my back and let them lay on my spine. Hope you get to feeling better... 

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

The thing that annoys me though is that both of those conditions are more for specialized doctors (sports medicine, ophthalmology, and neurology if either one of the first two are ruled out).  But in order for my insurance to cover it, I have to get a referral from my general practitioner, who is an hour away from both of my places of residence (home home and college).  Which is more money spent and time waiting.  (Our insurance sucks since AFA.)  Also the one doctor here who specializes in MS has at least a 3-month waiting period.  It's one of the things I have considered as a career since the demand exists here but you know how incapable I am of making up my mind - pathology is more along my interests than neurology.

I guess I could get a referral from my optometrist if she sees anything odd (after being thoroughly scolded for wearing my contact lenses for months and months).

The shoulder thing hasn't happened again, though that might be because I've been trying other ways to stretch them that don't require actually engaging those muscles (the goal of the clasping my hands behind my back and bending forward until gravity pulls my arms the other way into the stretch).  The staircase has those vertical railing bars and they seem to work better than my bed frame or doorframe for stretching one at a time.

The last set of push-ups in each day of the 100 push-ups challenge is a "do at least this many, do more if you can" set.  I did 10 in this set last night.  So happy.  Now I just need to increase my RoM on those 10 lol (was getting tired and I slacked a little on depth).

• Like 1

Not sure about any other symptoms, but the shoulder just sounds like you overstretched it. I actually find it easier to pull a muscle and over do it with stretching then I do with strength stuff.

I think your pushups would be more  effective if you wore tacky Christmas sweaters while doing them. With video, of course.:)

• Like 2

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Week 0 update

Well fooding has gone to crap.  Mainly because I didn't buy anything I could cook in bulk and store extras in the fridge so I've been having lots of pasta and eating out when I do eat.  I usually steal my housemate's pasta because I don't want to cook anything myself.

At least I can add coconut milk to my fruit smoothies and that's a little more filling than just pouring juice in them.

Practicing has been bleh, which sucks because Technique jury is on Monday and semester jury is a week from that.  On top of that, my professor still hasn't given me duet music to look over so I can practice it over the holiday.  Uffffff.

Studying... I have final papers coming up soon I guess?  This week has actually been rather quiet in terms of assignments.  I had a presentation on Thursday and that went really well...

CLA - program notes (Finzi, Messiaen, Draeseke)

PDE - take-home test #2, final project/presentation

IMP - transcribe a solo by someone who plays our instrument on Autumn Leaves, be able to perform it.  Memorize tunes, melodic embellishment, solo improvisation.

EPI - nothing until final exam

WBL - Schwantner paper (this guy....)

Japanese is actually coming along nicely.  It's interesting, I'm starting to actually hear some of what they're saying in the anime I've been watching (Naruto).  Most of it is still jumble to me but...! :D. Now if only I didn't watch so much anime....

Push-ups are going well.  I've established an every other day habit.

Split challenge is not going well... I get bored sitting through the stretches and so I don't want to do them.

Bible reading has absolutely not been happening.  Oops.

Neither has Seminar Journaling. So now I'm out of integrity.  I said I would do a thing that I knew I wouldn't do.

Sleep has been... mostly going well.  Sometimes though I'm awake and I haven't had any starch very recently and yet I just want to lay my head on the desk or onto my shoulder or wherever.

Sick now.  Woke up yesterday morning with a sore throat.  Doesn't help that I worked my butt off on getting the house ready for a Christmas party.  And drove 60 miles to and from church in the morning and participated in another Christmas party.  And ate my bodyweight in cookies and other super unhealthy things.

So I went to the doctor on Tuesday even though I was already feeling a little better because I had pneumonia this summer and I have no desire to repeat that experience.  Apart from that they were probably like, "She's not really that sick... just a cold."  And they're probably right.  Though I wasn't having any nasal symptoms until they did that dreaded flu test.  I still feel sick ish but minor head cold sick.

Hot tea every day.  If my honey weren't nothing but wax now, I'd put honey in it.  It is nice that I am using the electric kettle now though.

Did push-ups on Wednesday morning anyway.  I can see progress there so that makes it easier.  Unlike splits training, that is, since I can hold most of the stretches 60 seconds already even if I can't yet go very deep.

Program notes for CLA are now Appallingly Dire so I should be able to start them soon.  Meanwhile I finally got the guts to ask the person who has been on a 42 foot tall pedestal for most of my life for a paper she wrote so I can report on it for my PDE final (except it's not really PDE - it's ODE I think).  Oh my God, she's actually a human and won't smite me half to death. (Last night while Program Notes were only Urgent.)

My food challenge is bleh right now because I have been eating out with friends a lot.  I like Darth Yoga's description of what his/her/xir own food challenge has turned into - just don't die of scurvy.  That's about where I am right now.

• Like 2

Week 1 results

Food: average daily points = -1.86

I'm being harder in how I grade my food choices, and on top of that my food choices have been, heh heh heh, rather abysmal.  Week before finals + being sick = don't want to cook anything that takes more time and work than rice and microwaved leftover chili.

Practicing: being sick = don't want to practice. But I've been feeling well enough to practice basically since Thursday so that's when I stopped handicapping being sick.  -6 points for the week.

Push-ups: did only 2 sessions this week. If I were on top of it and not sick, it would have been 4 sessions.  I was able to pick up right  where I left off this morning though.  I've been noticing less soreness during recovery but that will probably make some kind of comeback since that short break.  AMRAP is still 12.  I'm questioning the consistency of my form though.  Maybe I'll record myself next time and post it here for you all to tear apart. ;)

Splits stretching: lol no.  Did not happen at all.  Maybe now that I can't touch my toes again I'll start up again so I don't fall behind Manarelle. :P 

• Like 1

Being sick always throws things off. You can catch up this week! 

On 12/11/2016 at 9:41 AM, Snickie said:

Splits stretching: lol no.  Did not happen at all.  Maybe now that I can't touch my toes again I'll start up again so I don't fall behind Manarelle. :P 

I'm going to have to take a few days off this to let me knee heal and be bendable again. Perfect time to pull ahead...

• Like 1

On 12/12/2016 at 10:54 AM, Manarelle said:

Being sick always throws things off. You can catch up this week! 

I'm going to have to take a few days off this to let me knee heal and be bendable again. Perfect time to pull ahead...

Not sure how splits training is going to work at all when I have no structured leg activity (squats, running, etc) in addition because right now I'm basically stretching these muscles cold.

I mean, I guess I could run up and down the stairs a few times to warm them up.  But I won't have that when I go home for the holidays on Saturday morning.

This is Florida.  I literally have no excuse.  I can run around the block and I don't have to worry about getting too cold.  Or even overheating really (because December is just two months from February, the closest thing we get here to winter lol).

But finaaaalllllsssssss.

*smack* AND WHOSE FAULT WAS THAT! DROP AND GIVE ME TWENTY!

*gulp* Yes ma'am.

• Like 1

Dear God no.

I found a bug on StayFocusd that allowed me to watch I don't even want to count how many episodes of Naruto Shippuuden despite having Crunchyroll on my blacklist and my timer for 60 minutes total, until well past 3am (I finally hit the nuclear button) when I know full well that I have a presentation at 9am (now in 30 minutes).

There goes my PDE grade.  (And I was doing so relatively well up until now!)

Week 2 results

Food: average daily points = idek this week. I'm sure it's well in the negative since cramming for things for finals week and watching far too much anime have reduced food prep time to just long enough to make a bowl of oatmeal and rinse it afterward.  Or eat a bag of chips in bed (which has resulted in some pretty painful gut problems... I know better than to eat tortilla chips en masse especially when my gut is already messed up from the antibiotics and other bodily processes).  I ate out with my family last night in celebration of my mom's birthday and we literally just split like 7 different appetizers.  I don't even know how to log those.  (Well, I do.  And that's another reason why I know I'm well in the negative this week.)

Practicing: finals week + early jury = no practicing after jury (since Monday).

Push-ups: did 3 sessions this week. AMRAP now 15. This needs to go up because of the AMRAP set in my plan keeps going up and I want to be well ahead of it.  Also form still.  Maybe I'll record myself next time and post it here for you all to tear apart. ;)

Splits stretching: lol no.  Did not happen at all, apart from the regular leg stretches (can touch my toes again so I guess that's a good thing).  Probably behind @Manarelle lol.

-=-=-=-=-

Break has officially started so I was thinking of setting up a new challenge to coordinate with that, with different scoring guidelines to keep me on top of things during winter break, particularly practicing (I want to be outer rotation on my final semester; I've never made it out of inner rotation or been higher than fifth chair), CLA spring 2017 journal (program notes are due by my recital hearing which is in March), and relearning everything I learned in AP Biology so I can take Bio 2 next semester and not be totally lost (I took AP Bio in fall 2009, passed the test in May 2010, and that's the last time I've taken any Biology).  I also want to make personal health a priority, doing things like finally seeing my optometrist and updating my glasses/contact lens prescriptions, maybe seeing a neurologist about this nystagmus in my right eye, etc.

• Like 1

If it works better for you to make a new challenge now over break, then do it! No reason to stick with something that isn't working. 

I might have done day 13 of the stretching yesterday, since my knee has stopped being a problem. Definitely improving on general flexibility, although I dare say splits won't happen by January. Only one way to catch up though!

On 12/14/2016 at 9:18 PM, Snickie said:

(because December is just two months from February, the closest thing we get here to winter lol).

When my little brother lived in Florida, he had a t-shirt that said something like "I SURVIVED ANOTHER PUNTA GORDA WINTER February 12 - 15, 2014"

• Like 2

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #20: The Weasel goes on an Adventure!

22 hours ago, Snickie said:

relearning everything I learned in AP Biology so I can take Bio 2 next semester and not be totally lost (I took AP Bio in fall 2009, passed the test in May 2010, and that's the last time I've taken any Biology). 

Yes. Do this. I was in a similar situation for Chemistry, and didn't review at all. So despite doing great in AP Chem, ages previous, I wound up dropping Chem 2, because I wasn't able to catch up fast enough. There had been a lot of stuff they had just covered at the end of the previous semester in Chem 1 that I hadn't even done in AP Chem, but if I'd gotten solid on the stuff I HAD learned in AP Chem, I could've caught up. Especially if I'd used their Chem book to review, and looked over the Chem 1 syllabus.

• Like 1

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #20: The Weasel goes on an Adventure!

9 hours ago, Darth Yoga said:

Yes. Do this. I was in a similar situation for Chemistry, and didn't review at all. So despite doing great in AP Chem, ages previous, I wound up dropping Chem 2, because I wasn't able to catch up fast enough. There had been a lot of stuff they had just covered at the end of the previous semester in Chem 1 that I hadn't even done in AP Chem, but if I'd gotten solid on the stuff I HAD learned in AP Chem, I could've caught up. Especially if I'd used their Chem book to review, and looked over the Chem 1 syllabus.

Well I heard from people who have taken the classes that Bio 1 and Bio 2 aren't really consecutive.  That is to say, Bio 2 doesn't rely much if at all upon the concepts taught in Bio 1.  Totally different story for Chem.

I'm going to use my AP Bio review book (Princeton Review 2010, but it's probably still relatively up to date) and the Khan Academy to review.  I don't know where any of my notes are from the class years and years ago.

-=-=-=-=-

I had one of those Charley horse type pulls this morning in my left pectoral while putting on my seat belt.  I was reaching across with my left hand instead of passing it off to my right hand like I normally do.  Hurt like crazy.  That is of course one of my push-up muscles though.  Ugh.

Still going to do the push-ups.  Obviously.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2016 at 10:28 PM, Snickie said:

I had one of those Charley horse type pulls this morning in my left pectoral while putting on my seat belt.  I was reaching across with my left hand instead of passing it off to my right hand like I normally do.  Hurt like crazy.  That is of course one of my push-up muscles though.  Ugh.

Still going to do the push-ups.  Obviously.

Ouch. I have to say, since starting weight lifting, I've had more (albeit infrequent) weirdly placed cramps and strains than ever in my life. How'd the push-ups go? 

Happy Holiday of your choice!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Ouch. I have to say, since starting weight lifting, I've had more (albeit infrequent) weirdly placed cramps and strains than ever in my life. How'd the push-ups go? 

Happy Holiday of your choice!

57 push-ups total lol

I get those weird cramps and strains in my upper body, usually triceps and shoulder muscles, occasionally in the sides of my neck.

I get Charley horses in my feet but they're usually self-induced (when I'm not paying attention usually).

Merry Christmas to you too :)

• Like 1

So this week has been full of laziness and general nothing.  I don't even remember half of what I did.  I think I went to a friend's house on Monday and then back up to my college house to pick up and drop off some things and clean up since I was in such a rush to leave on Saturday.  I did some push-ups while I was there.  That's about it for this week.

I did not log food.  Lots of home cooked Mexican was had though.  Also la madre and I spent yesterday and Friday making a buttload of cookies, so guess what I'm going to be eating for the next month and a half.  (This is one reason why I'm revising my food aspect for the next challenge.)

Clarinet practice and all forms of studying and schoolwork that don't have to do with Japanese grammar have been zilch.  Zero.  Zip.  ゼロ.  If this keeps up, there's no way I'll ever make outer rotation even though I'm a final semester senior and the only one that's good enough to be on rotation anyway (our top senior is off interning, one is a composition major who always plays bass clarinet in band, and the other senior is leagues behind me in terms of playing ability and auditioning).  It's kind of depressing.  I haven't really moved in chair placement in two-and-a-half years.  And I'm not setting myself up to succeed next semester in my other classes either.

-=-=-=-=-

So as of today, my Christmas Special is over.  I'm rolling out a new two-duration challenge (one theme) that starts tomorrow and will carry over through the next mini-challenge because convenient timing is convenient.  I'll post details and requirements soon (after I stuff my face with various high-fat foods that will be served around 3pm today).  I'm going to continue to use this thread for now and then use a new thread when the next mini begins.

• Like 1