CheshireMoon's First Challenge

CheshireMoon

Hello, I just discovered NF and am excited to get started.  This will technically be a five week challenge with this week being "week 0".

38 year old female

Diet

1. Log all food for the month in MFP.

2. Lose 2 pounds.

3. Research ways to incorporate more protein into my diet without going over my calories.

Fitness

4. Begin a bodyweight strength program (3 days per week).

Life

5. Successfully finish this semester at college!

1 research paper

3 tests

6 finals

I've been working on my diet over at MFP for the last three months and have currently lost 9 of the 20 pounds needed to get back to my goal weight.  However, I haven't done any exercises for the past two years due to serious illness (and very sporadically prior to that due to multiple injuries).  Lv 1 "Novice" doesn't cut it, its probably more like Lv -2 "Invalid".  Still, things have stabilized and I'm feeling pretty good about what I can acomplish right now.

Thanks, and good luck to everyone on their challenges!

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/143414

• Like 1

CheshireMoon

Gnome Rebel Lv 3

My Character Page

Current 4 Week Challenge Walk to Mordor 2017

Previous Challenges:

01/2017  12/2016

Welcome to the Rebellion. Don't forget to check in periodically and let us know how you're doing. :) Dropping in on your fellow Rebels helps build accountability too. 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Thank you both!

I've been exploring the forums this week, but with it being the final few weeks of the semester I've been too busy to actually post anything.  Still, two tests are over and I actually got a little research for my paper done.

Week 0 of my challenge went really well.  I got all my food logged and my trend weight is down 0.7 pounds.  I've switched my breakfasts from a small bowl of cereal to a piece of fruit and a hard boiled egg.  That reduced my carbs and bumped up my protein a little.  I've also stocked up on some Greek yogurt and jerky for post workout snacks.  I had to skip my Wednesday bodyweight workout due to my Crohn's Disease acting up (probably from stress and lack of sleep when studying for those tests) but was able to convince myself to (slowly) get it done on Thursday and I finished up the last one today. 

Week 1 shouldn't be too bad.  I have one last test on Tuesday, and then its all studying for the next week's finals and finishing that paper.

• Like 1

CheshireMoon

Gnome Rebel Lv 3

My Character Page

Previous Challenges:

01/2017  12/2016

Week 1 Results:

I'm still logging all my food and have continued to up my protein at breakfast and after workouts. All three bodyweight workouts were completed and I did two additional yoga workouts this week. However, I think the exercise has finally decided to mess with my weigh-ins, they have been all over the place and my trend weight is the same as at the end of last week. :apologetic:

I didn't get as much research for my paper done as I would have liked (it's due Monday night), but given how I like to procrastinate some is better than none.  After that I have 2 finals on Tuesday, 1 on Wednesday, 2 on Thursday and the last one on Friday.  It's going to be a really rough week but at least I'll get a nice 4 week break after this.

I'm not officially doing the mini challenge but I did take a look for a group to join and, just today, saw Monkey Tamers United.  That seems like a good accountability group to try out considering my aforementioned procrastination issues so I'm going to give it a shot!

• Like 2

CheshireMoon

Gnome Rebel Lv 3

My Character Page

Previous Challenges:

01/2017  12/2016

Week 2 Results:

Food logging and protein are still going well.  I barely managed to get my three bodyweight workouts in, what with everything I had going on this week, but I still did it!  The last couple of days I've finally started dropping the exercise induced water weight.  I think it  will take a little while for it to reflect in my trend weight though, it is still the same as at the end of the last two weeks (ugh).

I am done with the semester!!  I got my paper finished and submitted and all finals are complete.  I had forgotten my Remicade infusion was set for Wednesday, since that takes a good five hours out of my day I had to change my Wednesday final to Friday.  Lucky that was my one online class of the semester, so rescheduling was easy.  Yesterday I pretty much just did nothing except go to the grocery store.  I figured I deserved one lazy day given how packed the rest of the week had been.

Monkey Tamers United:  I think this group's friendly competition/accountability ;) really helped me get more studying done for my finals than I would have otherwise.  I am going to try using it to focus on getting more done around the house over the next two weeks.  Things have gotten really out of hand over the last few week of school.

CheshireMoon

Gnome Rebel Lv 3

My Character Page

Previous Challenges:

01/2017  12/2016

Great job on a successful week 2.  Curious what your exercise routing looks like.  I do bodywt and am always open to learning from other peoples routines.  Also curious how you know that the wt you dropped was exercise induced water wt and not just fat.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Thank you!

I'm sure my exercise routine doesn't look like much (since 'm a complete novice and just started three weeks ago) but I'm using Body By You which is a version of You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren.  It is more geared toward women who are just starting to train.

I'm doing a full body routine three days per week with 3 sets of 10 reps.  The exercises types are pulling, squatting, "bending"/core, in-line pushing, and perpendicular pushing.  The pushing exercises alternate days.  Currently I'm on one-armed Doorway Rows, Bulgarian Split Squats, Military Presses with hands at knee height, Close-grip/Diamond Pushups at counter level and Hip Extensions.  Not too exciting yet, but I am improving.

As for the weight loss, It is possible some it might be from fat since I've been sticking to my diet really well.  I was assuming it was mostly water weight since I'd been at about 135 two weeks ago and suddenly jumped up 2.5 lbs. overnight (not too long after starting my program).  The extra weight hung around until a couple of days ago and now I'm back down to 135 again.

• Like 2

CheshireMoon

Gnome Rebel Lv 3

My Character Page

Previous Challenges:

01/2017  12/2016

I'm kind of where you are on the BW routine development.  I dropped my gym membership a couple of months ago and just started putting together a home BW routine at start of Dec.   It takes some time and trial and error to develop any routine and find out which things work for you.  Although I w/o 7 days/wk, my w/o's vary widely.  I do a full body BW routine 3 days/wk, a primal movement routine off of some utube videos a couple days, sometimes 1-2 miles walk, or even just stretching.  I also use what I call a placeholder about once every 7 or 8 days which is just 10 freebody squats.  Its for when I'm either sick or absolutely too busy to w/o.  It does nothing for fitness, I just use it to remind the brain that exercise is an every day event for me.  Trying to create the habit.

Your wt could be water.  I tend to forget that women tend to hold and release more water than men.  Sudden changes are often just due to changes in food accumulation.  Food takes 2-3 days to completely move through the body (or so I've read).  So 2 big days of eating won't make you gain 2-3lbs of fat, but can add 2-3 lbs just due to food accumulation in the belly.  

I'll be watching and having high hopes for you.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Week 3 results:

I've still been logging all my food and staying on track with calories, except for Christmas which I'd planned for.   This week I tried a protein bar (Quest Raspberry White Chocolate) and hated it.  I was only able to get half of it down before I gave up.  My trend weight is finally dropping again, it decreased 0.4 pounds this week for a total of 1.1 since I started the challenge. This week will be pretty iffy though, what with Christmas dinner and leftovers.

I got all three bodyweight workouts finished and did two Yoga sessions as well.  I was able to progress from counter level to knee-height for my pushups, and to table-top hip extensions.

As far as Monkey Tamers, it wasn't really a good week.  The house got cleaned enough to keep it form becoming a complete disaster, but not much else got done. I really need to buckle down this week and take advantage of my winter break from school. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

CheshireMoon

Gnome Rebel Lv 3

My Character Page

Previous Challenges:

01/2017  12/2016

Week 4 results:

I just finished typing this all out and then it deleted itself!

Oh well . . .  All my food was logged in MFP for the week but I only managed to get one of my three workouts in.  I just had to get a horrible chest cold on the 27th that lasted through the 2nd.  I couldn’t even lay down in bed or stand up without getting disgusting and painful coughing fits, so exercising was out of the question. 

It would have been nice if the lack of exercise had allowed my weight to drop a bit, but I just maintained this week.  Still, I have a total loss to my trend weight of 1.1 pounds for the month.  That is better than nothing.

For Monkey Tamers, I didn’t even really think about it during the week to be honest.  Being sick just throws everything off.  I guess I should just be glad it was during my Christmas break and not during the semester though.

Overall, since the Monkey Tamers group wasn't officially part of my challenge this month, I’d probably grade myself at a B+ on this challenge.  Maybe an A- if I give myself some leniency for having been so sick the last week.  I’ve got everything planned out of the next month’s challenge though, I just need to get it typed up.

CheshireMoon

Gnome Rebel Lv 3

My Character Page

Previous Challenges:

01/2017  12/2016