Jord - tackles inertia

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

OOOOOOOOOOOO yum!! definitely want to try this next. yes yes yes

so good. sneaking vegetables into oatmeal? yes and yes. I have a ton of carrots in the house, but when I get through those, zucchini bread oats is next up. for that one, with the extra moisture, I might add some almond meal or flour to add bulk.

so much good food. i am le jealous. maybe i will get some GF noodles by the end of the month and make mc n cheese. you and @MikeWazowski are killing me ;) 

yesss. or some cheesy rice? some good ol' fashioned cheesy chicken broccoli rice might be called for? :encouragement:

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

I am DEFINITELY both

1 hour ago, Echocheanic said:

I have used soy sauce but I don't really like using it too much, me an soy have a weird complicated relationship.

surprisingly, most soy sauces have more wheat than soy in it! do you have a gluten intolerance? coconut aminos have been my gluten free alternative to soy sauce.

Nope, I eat all the bread. But I used to eat a lot of soy as a meat replacement because it was cheaper and I noticed I felt crappier. It might be just because I ate it so much then. 

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Might have given yourself a food sensitivity perhaps?

Not sure. I have no problem eating things with soy protein in them, but not sure if that means anything.

and perhaps the soy protein isolate found in protein supplements is differently digested than whole soy? and there is also the difference between fermented non/fermented soy. much thoughts to ponder.

39 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

interesting! well, you're in the right place if you want seasoning alternatives suggested to ya :D 

along the same lines this is a good article too on creating seasoning combos

https://lifehacker.com/learn-to-make-any-dish-you-cook-better-with-the-science-1477864259

• Like 2

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

43 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

and perhaps the soy protein isolate found in protein supplements is differently digested than whole soy? and there is also the difference between fermented non/fermented soy. much thoughts to ponder.

The soy I used to eat was basically soy flakes, that look like ground meat when cooked. Now I can't stand it. 

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

interesting! well, you're in the right place if you want seasoning alternatives suggested to ya :D 

One thing I love in food is mint and breckland thyme/wild thyme  (that is what google tells me it is) in everything really. 

• Like 1

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Do you mean TVP? Ate some of that back in my hippie vegetarian days.

Not sure, it was a looong time ago. I know there were patties as well.

• Like 1

tumblr_oulffuF2mQ1sjqko0o4_400.gif

Tuesday

Made and went to an appt with PT (we get one free consult at the place affiliated with farfit). I don't think he was super helpful but the back bend stuff he had me doing did relieve some of the pain. I just felt like he tossed me into the same category as everyone else and I don't trust someone who totally ignores the fact that I have a giant scar on my low back that goes down to the bone. But I do have a primary care appt I made for Jan 29, so I can ask about getting some images done.

I did sleep with my legs propped way up, to relieve the low back, and did wake up somewhat improved. But still, if I move a certain way it feels like a tendon or muscle is out of whack. It hurts in my right SI/hip area, not near my spine. But the guy though it was maybe a mild disc bulge. These things don't track in my mind. I've had PT for my SI joint twice before. So I guess until I see primary care, I probably need a goal to daily do my SI stretches and the back bends he gave me (stretches overlap anyway) until I see my PCP.

Adding a fifth daily thing below doesn't thrill me, but probably after a couple of weeks I can remove the no booze thing and just report on when I avoided it in social situations.

-1997 calories, 117g protein, 51g fiber (chili yo)

Days successful this week:

Under 2000 cals:     [ x ] [ x ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]  

0 Booze:                    [ x ] [ x ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]  

Frugal:                       [ x ] [ x ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]  

No Work Snacks:    [ x ] [ x ] [   ] [   ] [   ]

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I did sleep with my legs propped way up, to relieve the low back, and did wake up somewhat improved. But still, if I move a certain way it feels like a tendon or muscle is out of whack. It hurts in my right SI/hip area, not near my spine. But the guy though it was maybe a mild disc bulge. These things don't track in my mind. I've had PT for my SI joint twice before. So I guess until I see primary care, I probably need a goal to daily do my SI stretches and the back bends he gave me (stretches overlap anyway) until I see my PCP.

I do hope you get some relief well before the 29th, that is a long way off just to talk to someone about it.

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

ntvvhfh1k3evzfv5ilz1.gif

Wednesday? It's a weird week.

- Pushed through the uncomfortable to do some adulting stuff, including taking my car into the shop for a repair I've known about since November but couldn't get myself to fork over the money. (I also finally created a google sheet to track my car maintenance since the thing is getting old.)

- Went to the chinese supermarket on my way home from work for the first time! I've been to the korean one and the indian one. This place was a lot bigger and I wanted to check out everything but kept it short and only bought what I needed except for one small snack that was under $2.00. Spent $15 total: giant thing of soy sauce, sesame oil, tofu, green onion, ramen, and edemame, plus the mystery snack. I think that's it? I had $18 of spending money left for the week and I get paid tomorrow, $3 left, lol.

- 2012 cal, 116g protein, 48g fiber (that chili yo)

Today's goal: email coach with back update and ask him to write me an upper body workout plus light lower body that doesn't include deadlifts - for starting next Monday.

21 hours ago, Urgan said:

I do hope you get some relief well before the 29th, that is a long way off just to talk to someone about it.

It is feeling better, the stretches are helping, some discomfort but not terrible pain.

Since my back is feeling more functional so I need to think about starting with walking (before any light weights.). I could take a walk on my lunch break tomorrow, it's going to be a delightful 36 degrees!

Back stretches:        [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]

Under 2000 cals:     [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]  

0 Booze:                    [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]  

Frugal:                       [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]  

No Work Snacks:     [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [   ] [   ]

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

It is feeling better, the stretches are helping, some discomfort but not terrible pain.

Since my back is feeling more functional so I need to think about starting with walking (before any light weights.). I could take a walk on my lunch break tomorrow, it's going to be a delightful 36 degrees!

Good, at least you have some progress.

Oh good, it's above freezing and everything!

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

i need to know more about your mystery snack

and 36 is amazing at this time of year after that terrible cold!

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

Good, at least you have some progress.

Oh good, it's above freezing and everything!

18 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

and 36 is amazing at this time of year after that terrible cold!

I already said I was going to go for a walk and it's only been a few hours - _ - Well, I did say tomorrow but I considered doing it today. It's colder today. I'll walk around inside the building and see how jazzed up I feel about mobility.

18 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i need to know more about your mystery snack

I thought it was going to be snacky seaweed sheets

c5a46c62ac06189882f6ebea4ba2c784_500x500

it was seaweed flavored potato twists

55564802b2339.jpg_300_0_13_3006.jpg

• Haha 2

omg that's the best mystery snack ever! i've tried to like seaweed sheets a few times to no avail. i think these would be even worse

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

10 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I thought it was going to be snacky seaweed sheets

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm seaweed snax

sorry you were trolled by potato chips instead!

Hopefully your back is still on the upward trend. I have a bit of distrust for a lot of PTs/chiros just because I ended up with a lot of generic advice that didn't work well for me, so now I just do science instead. Worst case, it goes a lot slower with more flare ups than if I found a Great Therapist. More likely case: it goes better because eventually I find something that helps.

(Sorry if that's cynical, I'm sure most folks have better luck than I have had.)

• Like 1
19 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

omg that's the best mystery snack ever! i've tried to like seaweed sheets a few times to no avail. i think these would be even worse

9 hours ago, ixaera said:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm seaweed snax

sorry you were trolled by potato chips instead!

they were actually pretty good! I ate almost 2/3 of the bag (which was only 200 cals) and gave the rest to the hubbs. Not  as carby as regular chips, but definitely not a low-carb seaweed snack.

9 hours ago, ixaera said:

Hopefully your back is still on the upward trend. I have a bit of distrust for a lot of PTs/chiros just because I ended up with a lot of generic advice that didn't work well for me, so now I just do science instead. Worst case, it goes a lot slower with more flare ups than if I found a Great Therapist. More likely case: it goes better because eventually I find something that helps.

(Sorry if that's cynical, I'm sure most folks have better luck than I have had.)

It is still improving. I still think it moreso related to my personal muscular issues and less so related to a spine/disc problem. But I could be wrong. It's feeling pretty good today. NOw i just need to not fuck it up again...

Definitely fair to be cynical. I think most physical therapist are incompetent when it comes to serious physiological issues. Some of their biz works because problems resolve themselves if you wait long enough, not because they had some #magicsolution. I've told people before and I will tell it again if it's my last breath, there is definitely a difference between sports/everyday PT and PT for people who've been in a major trauma. I had PT before when I had to relearn to walk again and that was #majortrauma PT and those peeps are FOR REAL. Whereas sports/everyday PT is like the baby brother of PT. If any of that makes sense.

• Like 3

anigif_enhanced-10984-1450803676-3.gif?d

Thursday's biz

- went over calories due to eating peanut m&ms at work. see what happens you snack at work? Also, I didn't stop eating my dinner when I was full because I felt like I had to eat what was in my bowl. Life lessons maybe? 1) you can leave food in your bowl and 2) perhaps start filling dinner bowl half way, I can always go for seconds.

- felt lazy about dinner but powered through and made thai peanut tri-color quinoa bowl. I brought a TON of leftovers to work because there wasn't enough left to justify leaving some at home. BUT I have given myself permission this morning to just dole out and heat up half or so at lunch, I can take the rest home for a Saturday early morning snack.

- 2156 cals, 116g protein, 38g fiber

Mine looks gross but I loved it.

mac-and-cheese.gif

dinner:

q_0MOmGw6f0X7heF4hNUF3_GoGpQEK8m4Md1-uS1

It's adapted from this concept based on what I had on hand: http://withsaltandwit.com/one-pot-thai-quinoa-bowl/

(cooked quinoa in rice cooker, stir fried chicken and veggies, mixed up sauce... then mushed all three things together in a gross/delicious mash)

Friday's special goal: drink some fucking water TZ

Back stretches:        [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [   ] [   ] [   ]

Under 2000 cals:     [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [ o ] [   ] [   ] [   ]  

0 Booze:                    [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [   ] [   ] [   ]  

Frugal:                       [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [   ] [   ] [   ]  

No Work Snacks:     [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [ o ] [   ]

• Like 3

From watching the testimony of people who come back from (sports) injury, seems to me like the only real solid advice a PT could give a hurt and scared patient is to KEEP MOVING. Not to go right back to work sets, but to ambulate and take the joint through ROM as soon as the acute pain subsides to promote healing of both the body and the mind. The specific exercises are just a PT's way of trying to make himself needed. Trauma PT is a different story.

9 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Thursday's biz

- went over calories due to eating peanut m&ms at work. see what happens you snack at work? Also, I didn't stop eating my dinner when I was full because I felt like I had to eat what was in my bowl. Life lessons maybe? 1) you can leave food in your bowl and 2) perhaps start filling dinner bowl half way, I can always go for seconds.

Yes, leverage that lazy. And to be fair, dinner looked good.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Urgan said:

From watching the testimony of people who come back from (sports) injury, seems to me like the only real solid advice a PT could give a hurt and scared patient is to KEEP MOVING. Not to go right back to work sets, but to ambulate and take the joint through ROM as soon as the acute pain subsides to promote healing of both the body and the mind. The specific exercises are just a PT's way of trying to make himself needed. Trauma PT is a different story.

PREACH! actually I failed to progress report on that goal. I did update my coach and did request a transition program w/o deadlifts, which he produced almost immediately! He's awesome. It was much appreciated. I looked through it yesterday and I'm excited to have things to do on Monday. My mood improved right away.

6 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I'll conceded that, it's not the grossest food I've seen. It was my way of coping with being self-conscious of the aesthetic of that meal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

PREACH! actually I failed to progress report on that goal. I did update my coach and did request a transition program w/o deadlifts, which he produced almost immediately! He's awesome. It was much appreciated. I looked through it yesterday and I'm excited to have things to do on Monday. My mood improved right away.

Cool stuff, hopefully your body tolerates the Plan without too much complaint. Morale is like, the most important thing, right?

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'll conceded that, it's not the grossest food I've seen. It was my way of coping with being self-conscious of the aesthetic of that meal.

Anybody who judges your cooking purely on the presentation of a meal a - has never cooked a meal on their own in their life (show me a cook and I'll show you somebody who has discovered that presentation and taste DO NOT directly correlate) or b - they are a snooty British food judge. Neither opinion is valid for real life meals people eat to fuel the gains. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Urgan said:

I agree! looked delicious. thanks for the recipe!

i assume food pron is called such because the photos are just as airbrushed and staged as regular pron... wait. do we need to start a food positivity thing where don't judge food by how pretty we think it looks?! i think we're definitely on to something.

https://mic.com/articles/145598/this-food-trend-isn-t-pretty-and-that-s-the-point#.o8iNdyxKJ

Nearly 40% of food in the United States gets wasted according to the National Resource Defense Council, but a large portion of the food that's getting thrown away is completely edible — it just doesn't look perfect. Fruits and vegetables that are misshapen or discolored won't ever make it to your kitchen counter, even if you wanted them to. That's because 26% of all produce is thrown away before farmers sell it to grocery stores, according to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization.

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

Just now, CourtnieMarie said:

I agree! looked delicious. thanks for the recipe!

i assume food pron is called such because the photos are just as airbrushed and staged as regular pron... wait. do we need to start a food positivity thing where don't judge food by how pretty we think it looks?! i think we're definitely on to something.

https://mic.com/articles/145598/this-food-trend-isn-t-pretty-and-that-s-the-point#.o8iNdyxKJ

Nearly 40% of food in the United States gets wasted according to the National Resource Defense Council, but a large portion of the food that's getting thrown away is completely edible — it just doesn't look perfect. Fruits and vegetables that are misshapen or discolored won't ever make it to your kitchen counter, even if you wanted them to. That's because 26% of all produce is thrown away before farmers sell it to grocery stores, according to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization.

Well we DO put wax, sprays, and dyes on and in things to make them more homogeneous, so. Additives: Ag's Photoshop.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Urgan said:

Anybody who judges your cooking purely on the presentation of a meal a - has never cooked a meal on their own in their life (show me a cook and I'll show you somebody who has discovered that presentation and taste DO NOT directly correlate) or b - they are a snooty British food judge. Neither opinion is valid for real life meals people eat to fuel the gains. 

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

that view on the name never really occurred to me but makes total sense!

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

Well we DO put wax, sprays, and dyes on and in things to make them more homogeneous, so. Additives: Ag's Photoshop.

seriously. if they had a portion of the grocery store for "misshapen and slightly off" vegetables I'd be all about that.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

seriously. if they had a portion of the grocery store for "misshapen and slightly off" vegetables I'd be all about that.

"...and over here, we have our 'Odd Produce' section..."

• Haha 3

monday.gif?format=300w

Some goals fell apart over the weekend. As they are wont to do.

Actually they fell apart all at the same time. We went out to eat Saturday after the zoo, a) I had beer b ) ate too much and as a consequence c) spent too much money. On the upside a) I only had two beers at a social thing, which isn't the same as whiskey on a weeknight out of life frustration and b ) I was still so full on Sunday I ate only 1650 calories. (Which means I probably need some extra fiber this week...).

Positives from this weekend:

1) made protein oats again yesterday

2) meal planned and grocery shopped for the week. I made chicken pot pie yesterday and while making that I cut up all the veggies as well for the crockpot bavarian lentil soup on Tuesday, because much is the same. I think CM does this, cuts up a bunch of veg needed for the week at once. Why don't I do this more often?

3) planned meals so I could bulk purchase meat for also next week. also snagged buy one get one free pork chops. So I'm all set for meat for next week and should be able to finagle my budget to recoup the losses from going out to eat.

Weekly averages for last week per MFP: 2024 calories, 102g protein, 35g fiber

(And I did track everything from Saturday best I could. So, winning?)

Also, I'm excited to start my new lower intensity program this week. Even though it's for my back to recover, my whole body is feeling relieved to have some time away from peaking blocks.

New week, clean slate, who dis?

Back stretches:        [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]

Under 2000 cals:     [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]

0 Booze:                    [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] 

Frugal:                       [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] 

No Work Snacks:     [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]

• Like 5