A Grue Continues Exploring

A Grue

Passersby were shocked by the unusually large numbers of grue. /bad joke

This is my second challenge and, per the good suggestion by @ShadowLion, I'm going to take my lessons from the first challenge and build.  Note: Thanksgiving week kind of kicked my butt.  I'm chalking week 4 up to not making myself miserable and moving on.  The successes and failures are based on my progress up to Nov 23.  I'll be starting this challenge with Week 0 to make up for my slacking last week.

Successes

- Food Tracking - I only missed over Thanksgiving weekend.  I don't terribly much enjoy this, but it's a good deterrent for small snacking.  I'm going to try to keep this up.

- Practice - I did it!  Well, I did it fully through weeks 1 to 3.  There was no practice Thanksgiving day, and I was in the middle of a three-hour drive to my parents place on Sunday.  Still, two times per week is eminently doable, and I can and will keep that up.

- Dietician! - This was as helpful as I was hoping it would be.  Now I have a good handle on how to get fresh fruits and veggies in my diet without making myself sick.  This is so amazing, I can't even tell you.

Partial Success

- Cat Box Cleaning - While I didn't get anywhere near actually doing this daily, I'm now doing it far more frequently than I had before.  This means a happy household.

- Daily Walking - This wasn't actually a challenge point, but it was something I wanted to do.  I didn't really get there, though.  As with the cat boxes, I'm doing it more often than I was before, but not daily yet.

Failures

- Body Weight Work Outs - I only did two of the four I was setting out to do.  I think this failed because I didn't actually schedule them.  Also, once per week is far too easy to just put off.

New Goals!

Smarter Grue

- Track all the foods

Better Grue

- Clean cat boxes daily

- Clean bathrooms on Sat

- Get financial name changes done

Faster Grue

- Go to practice on Thurs and Sun

- Walk 5 min per day, intentionally

Stronger Grue

- Do BWW on Wed and Sat

- Eat one fruit and one veggie daily

• Like 2

Holtzmann is my copilot.

"have you ever thought 'i am not good enough to do this?' THATS THE SOUND OF YOUR REVERSE TWIN. do not listen. you are good enough to do this" - Chuck Tingle

Awesome goals! Especially the way that you've identified how you've fallen short and how you've been more awesome than you thought!

I find that actually having a daily timetable helps accomplish things, not just the day that I will do something. Otherwise I rush them all before I go to bed, or just don't bother. Pacing out my habits throughout the day makes it easier on me. It might help your cat box if you make it at the same time, or have the same trigger (eg clean them immediately after dinner).

All the best! :D

• Like 1

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 3:54 PM, IAmInfinite said:

Awesome goals! Especially the way that you've identified how you've fallen short and how you've been more awesome than you thought!

I find that actually having a daily timetable helps accomplish things, not just the day that I will do something. Otherwise I rush them all before I go to bed, or just don't bother. Pacing out my habits throughout the day makes it easier on me. It might help your cat box if you make it at the same time, or have the same trigger (eg clean them immediately after dinner).

All the best! :D

Thank you!  You're right, scheduling things is definitely the way to go.  During the week, I'm gonna get my walk just before hopping in the car in the morning, and clean the cat boxes when I walk in at night.  On the weekends, let's call it first thing and at kitty dinner time, respectively.  :)

I haven't really managed to commit to actually starting.  :/  No one to blame but myself on that.  Forgive the quick update, but I just had what I thought was normal flatbread, but was actually some protein heavy substitute.  I'm not sure if it is the heavy protein, or if there was supplemental fiber in it, but either way, my stomach is loudly protesting lunch.  Boo-urns.

Food tracking: [ X X _ _ _ _ _]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Cat boxes:  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Bathrooms: _ _ _ _ _

Name Changes: TBD

Practice: [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ]

Walk:  [ _ X _ _ _ _ _]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

BWW:  [ W_ Sa_ ] [ W_ Sa_ ] [ W_ Sa_ ] [ W_ Sa_ ] [ W_ Sa_ ]

Fruits and Veggies:  [ _ / _ _ _ _ _]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Holtzmann is my copilot.

"have you ever thought 'i am not good enough to do this?' THATS THE SOUND OF YOUR REVERSE TWIN. do not listen. you are good enough to do this" - Chuck Tingle

Damn, sorry about your meal. Was it at least tasty?

And start! It's the hardest part, but I challenge you today to do one thing on your challenge list. Do one of them. Even if it takes 15 seconds, start with that. Even one small change will be an improvement from before, and that's all you need. Go! 

• Like 1

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

On 11/28/2016 at 10:28 AM, A Grue said:

This is my second challenge and, per the good suggestion by @ShadowLion, I'm going to take my lessons from the first challenge and build.  Note: Thanksgiving week kind of kicked my butt.  I'm chalking week 4 up to not making myself miserable and moving on.  The successes and failures are based on my progress up to Nov 23.  I'll be starting this challenge with Week 0 to make up for my slacking last week.

Many of us got burned by Thanksgiving week...but in the long run its nothing that will hinder your future progress!

23 hours ago, A Grue said:

You're right, scheduling things is definitely the way to go.  During the week, I'm gonna get my walk just before hopping in the car in the morning, and clean the cat boxes when I walk in at night.  On the weekends, let's call it first thing and at kitty dinner time, respectively.  :)

Sounds like a solid plan...I know I function much better on a schedule so hopefully that works well for you too.

Also I may have missed this...what is the practice you speak of?!?

Following along for all the success!!

Level 12 Ranger - Instagram | MFP

Challenges

2016: First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh

2017: Eighth - Ninth - Tenth - Eleventh - Twelfth

Respawn 2017 - CH1

3 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

Many of us got burned by Thanksgiving week...but in the long run its nothing that will hinder your future progress!

Sounds like a solid plan...I know I function much better on a schedule so hopefully that works well for you too.

Also I may have missed this...what is the practice you speak of?!?

Following along for all the success!!

<3  Thank you for following along!  It's good to know people are cheering me on.

Practice would be roller derby practice.  I'm working on becoming a skating official/referee.  This is the start of my 6th season as a non-skating official, and I started training to be a ref for serious last season.  However, due to some *really* serious drama centered around someone who wanted to join our league last season, I ended up to practice maybe three times between May and Nov.  That person has (probably, hopefully) gone away, so I can go to practice and actually enjoy myself again.  It's pretty great.

I did well yesterday.  Cat boxes got done, I had both fruits and veggies and I got my walk in.  However, I didn't get my body weight workout in.  My spouse and I went to our friends' place for dinner and hanging out.  We went over right after I got home, and I went straight to bed when we got home.  Whomp whomp.

I'm in a good place for today, though.  I'm in the middle of a veggie smoothie right now, I had some fruit with breakfast and I'm having more veggies with dinner.  The green smoothie is more or less ok, but I think I'm going to need to precook the greens before I blend them.  Wee, stomach issues...  I got my walk in before work, and I'll be heading to practice right after work.  Progress!

Tracking info:

Spoiler

Food tracking: [ X X X _ _ _ _]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Cat boxes:  [ _ _ X _ _ _ _]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Practice: [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ]

Walk:  [ _ X X X _ _ _ ]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Fruits and Veggies:  [ _ / X X _ _ _]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

• Like 1

Holtzmann is my copilot.

Yesterday was a good day.  I go all my food tracked, fruit and veggies eaten and another batch of smoothie made.  I got the cat boxes before bed and tried (though did not succeed) at the Darebee Daily Dare.  I went to practice, and felt like I'm starting to really understand how to get good at front inside pack ref.  Not that I'm actually good yet, just that I feel like my training is going places.

I walked before work, and I just had my fruit filled smoothie.  Mmmm... tart cherries.  :) Daily dare, veggie-filled dinner and cat boxes to go.  Progress!

Tracking info:

Spoiler

Food tracking: [ X X X X _ _ _]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Cat boxes:  [ _ _ X X _ _ _]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Practice: [ Th-X Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ]

Walk:  [ _ X X X X _ _ ]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Fruits and Veggies:  [ _ / X X / _ _]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Holtzmann is my copilot.

Yesterday's dare was haaaard. I managed it, but had to split it up into 10seconds throughout the day. I still get one point, so it's all good! :D

And those smoothies sound good. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Yesterday's dare was haaaard. I managed it, but had to split it up into 10seconds throughout the day. I still get one point, so it's all good! :D

And those smoothies sound good. 

That was smart.  I tried to do it all at once and only got about halfway there.  Now I know better.  I ended up doing the circle pushups on my knees, but I got it done.  I heard a rather ominous popping in my left shoulder, but I feel fine this morning.  Hopefully it was just protesting the weird motion.  :)  As for today, I can get those lunges done, for sure.  Woo, derby legs.

The last batch of smoothie I made ended up being enough for three, rather than the normal two.  I'm not really sure how long they keep, so I had the last two for breakfast and a snack.  It makes for A LOT of smoothie in one day, but I'm ok with that.  It's keeping me out of the Halloween candy.

Otherwise, today is going well.  I finally got around to doing the first Zombies, Run mission.  I have no intent on becoming a runner, but it was fun to listen to while I wandered around the Ice Age Trail paths.  I also cleaned the cat boxes and the bathrooms, and I did my body weight workout.  I need to do 2/3 of the daily dare yet, but it will happen.  Now, off to skate a scrimmage!

Tracking:

Spoiler

Food tracking: [ X X X X X _ _ ]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Cat boxes:  [ _ _ X X X X _ ]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Bathrooms: X _ _ _ _

Practice: [ Th-X Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ]

Walk:  [ _ X X X X X _ ]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

BWW:  [ W_ SaX ] [ W_ Sa_ ] [ W_ Sa_ ] [ W_ Sa_ ] [ W_ Sa_ ]

Fruits and Veggies:  [ _ / X X X / _]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Holtzmann is my copilot.

Oh man I'm jealous. I'm so intrigued by roller derby but also it looks like so much pain. And not necessarily the fun kind. 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

36 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Oh man I'm jealous. I'm so intrigued by roller derby but also it looks like so much pain. And not necessarily the fun kind. 

That's why I'm an official.  There are all kinds of jobs that need doing, both on and off skates.  If you are interested, you should hunt a player or official down at a local game and let them know.  I'm, very luckily, part of one of the largest derby officiating crews in the world, and literally just emailed someone on how they can get a friend involved as a non-skating official.  If you think you might have an interest, go do it. 

On that note, I skinned my knees today, but not at practice.  It's snowing here, and I helped someone get out of a church parking lot.  I'm mildly peeved that it was myself and another random stranger helping, rather than the other in the parking lot who were watching, but that's neither here nor there.  Early on my feet slipped out from under me, and my derby instincts kick in.  Landing straight on your knees is less helpful when you don't have pads.  On the other hand, I didn't kiss the guy's bumper, so I'll take it as a win. :)

Yesterday was super busy.  I went to work for like 15 min (with the hour long trip), we bought, set up and decorated a Christmas tree, I got a haircut and we went to an interleague scrimmage. Then we went to a Japanese place for dinner.  So tasty.  I only got halfway through the daily dare, though. Sixty lunges is a lot of lunges, especially on a day where I walked for about 40 min and skated for 60.

I have basically all my things to do today.  I think I'll walk a bit soon, and get the cat boxes later this evening.  My body is asking for some rest, and I think I should do that.

Tracking Stuff:

Spoiler

Food tracking: [ X X X X X X _ ]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Cat boxes:  [ _ _ X X X X _ ]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Practice: [ Th-X Su-X ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ]

Walk:  [ _ X X X X X _ ]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Fruits and Veggies:  [ _ / X X X X _]  [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

• Like 2

Holtzmann is my copilot.

2 minutes ago, A Grue said:

That's why I'm an official.  There are all kinds of jobs that need doing, both on and off skates.  If you are interested, you should hunt a player or official down at a local game and let them know.  I'm, very luckily, part of one of the largest derby officiating crews in the world, and literally just emailed someone on how they can get a friend involved as a non-skating official.  If you think you might have an interest, go do it. 

Derp. That's a good point. I don't really have time for it right now (working almost full-time + full-time grad student with night classes) but I'll keep that in mind. When I moved here for school I did look up the local league just for kicks but their schedule doesn't work for me. I'll work on getting in shape and then check it out again when I graduate, I guess. 

Landing on your knees in a parking lot sounds like a lot of ouch.

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Oof, that's a rough schedule.  Grad school is more important than a potential new hobby, and so is rent.  Just keep us in mind if you are still interested when things calm down.

As for the fall, I skinned my knees a bit but otherwise I'm ok.  The snow protected.me a bit. 

• Like 1

Holtzmann is my copilot.

Christmas tree! I decorated the house in tinsel on Friday, but we don't have the space for a tree (or the lights or the baubles or anything that makes it fun). Tinsel is really good though :P

And yay for another Runner 5. I like listening during my Saturday 5k runs, but they are fun to listen to when just walking as well.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:36 AM, IAmInfinite said:

Christmas tree! I decorated the house in tinsel on Friday, but we don't have the space for a tree (or the lights or the baubles or anything that makes it fun). Tinsel is really good though :P

And yay for another Runner 5. I like listening during my Saturday 5k runs, but they are fun to listen to when just walking as well.

Wee, tinsel.  That seems like a good substitute for a tree, as long as no one in your house would eat it.  I think both of my cats would end up needing to the vet.  Ah, well.  The little cat is drinking the tree water, but otherwise they don't seem to care.  :)

I'm planning on doing the one Runner 5 mission per week, at least to start.  I'll get that up more later, when I figure out when I can fit it into my schedule.  It's totally worth it, though.  It's fun.

Yesterday was kind of a mess for my tasks.  I had a temporary crown put on and got another filing in the afternoon.  It didn't really leave me motivated.  That said, I got my walk in during the morning and I scooped the cat boxes in in the evening.  I got my fruits in via post-dental work smoothie, but I didn't have any veggies.  Time to do better.

Tracking:

Spoiler

Food tracking: [ X X X X X X X ]  [ X _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Cat boxes:  [ _ _ X X X X X ]  [ X _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Practice: [ Th-X Su-X ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ]

Walk:  [ _ X X X X X _ ]  [ X X _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Fruits and Veggies:  [ _ / X X X X / ]  [ / / _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

• Like 2

Holtzmann is my copilot.

I last posted Tuesday?! Ugh. 

This past week has been... not good.  I'm not sure where the respawn point is, but I'm definitely looking at my low HP right now.  I ended up being really thrown off by some schedule changes (spouse's company party Thurs, bout day Saturday), so I tried to rearrange some of my tasks on the fly.  It didn't work out.  Next time there is a game, I will plan ahead of time how I will accommodate that.

As far as I can remember, I mostly got my food tracking and cat boxes done.  All of the snow the past couple days derailed my walks, though I know I got a couple in earlier in the week.  I ended up doing Wednesday's workout on Friday, Sunday's practice Saturday (skated game 1 and alt'ed game 2), and Saturday's workout today.  That last workout was my first boss fight, which I won.  I kinda wish I had lost it, since I could use the concrete goal for motivation right about now.  What else?  No bathroom cleaning, though I plan to get that done after work tomorrow.  And my diet has been a hot mess the past few days.  :(

Tracking:

Spoiler

Food tracking: [ X X X X X X X ]  [ X X X X X X X ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Cat boxes:  [ _ _ X X X X X ]  [ X X _ X X X ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

Practice: [ Th-X Su-X ] [ Th_ Su-X ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ] [ Th_ Su_ ]

Walk:  [ _ X X X X X _ ]  [ X X _ X X _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

BWW:  [ W_ SaX ] [ W-/ Sa-X ] [ W_ Sa_ ] [ W_ Sa_ ] [ W_ Sa_ ]

Fruits and Veggies:  [ _ / X X X X / ]  [ / / / / / / _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ] [ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]

• Like 1

Holtzmann is my copilot.