[DarK_RaideR] in the Hall of Speakers

DarK_RaideR

The Hall of Speakers is a soaring, almost graceful structure that rises like a spire over the Clerk's Ward. This is the seat of everyday government in Sigil. Here the factols and plebeians meet to debate the few laws and ordinances of the city. More often than not, the Speaker's Podium is a forefront of the war between the factions. On a regular day, the factol of the Xaositects is likely to propose getting rid of the Harmonium guard, which instantly gains the support of the Doomguard, since the move is sure to promote chaos and decay. The Harmonium counters by demanding the arrest of the Xaositect factol, promising the Mercykillers that they can administer the punishment. On and on it goes, as factions attempt to recruit political allies, until somebody - usually the Guvners - manages to kill the whole issue on a point of order. The chant is, real lawmaking in Sigil's a rare event.

Continuing the Planescape mess that became of my previous challenge, I'm trying to set this one up right. Mirroring the theoretical discussions of little actual impact that take place in the Hall of Speakers, this thread will be less about decision making and mostly about reporting progress, then letting the various faction representatives introduced last challenge do their commentary.

The Goals

Nutrition: Eliminating processed foods, carb-heavy items and sugar is practically impossible during the holidays (if you want to have a social life, at least) so the goal here will be to avoid going overboard with the sweet stuff and not eat like a dickhead during social occasions. Other than that, stick to my current healthy eating habits.

Workouts: 3 workouts per week is the bare minimum. These will be mainly Crossfit WODs, but can be other stuff as well, especially when used to make up for a missed workout day. I'm also going to try and attend as many special classes as possible (Endurance/Running, Lifting, Strength, Gymnastics).

Dissertation: So I wasted a 2 month break without making any progress on my dissertation that's due for springtime. I'll be attending classes in December so the goal here is to carve out some time to devote on my dissertation. Since I'll be spending the holidays at home with friends (read: no family or travelling) I might as well take days off from work and devote them to working on my dissertation. By the end of the challenge I want to have at least started typing something.

Fun and Creativity: I'm still playing TEW16 and keeping a storytelling log about it. I've also begun running a Planescape 5e D&d Play-by-Post game that can be found here. Both these activities will continue during the challenge. I'm also playing a Titansgrave tabletop game with some friends, although that doesn't seem to happen very often. Last but not least, I recently jumped into a Warhammer Fantasy RPG game that some friends are running. Yesterday my Special Ranger Lady Friend (SRLF) announced she'd like to join. The plan is to have her spectate a few more games, maybe occasionally roleplay a non-player character and thus slowly introduce her to the game and world. There's also the idea of me DMing a one-on-one minigame with her.

Family: Last but not least, the family drama that's been going on for almost a year now. I'm planning to visit the parents during the second or third weekend of December. This has to be resolved.

2017 Roadmap: The only notable exception to the rule about this thread containing ex-post discussions instead of future decision making. I realized lately that I'm willing to put stuff that came about by chance or other people (mainly my job at the ministry and the Masters' classes) at the backburner or even drop it in favor of the "serious" stuff I'm doing for myself (mainly crossfit and working at my professor's law office). Shocking, I know. My concept for 2017 is to be more me and to that end I shall design the yearly goals.

The Factions

The Athar

ATHAR.gif

Nicknames: The Defiers, The Lost

Philosophy: The gods are imposters and frauds. Powerful beings they may be, but not gods

Representing Character: Zerr, former cleric of Kord (god of strength), brawler and wrestler that frequents the Red Pony Inn

Zerr__Lizardman_Athar.jpg

Believers of the Source

BELIEVERS.gif

Nickname: Godsmen

Philosophy: The multiverse is a forge, testing us to remove impurities. The point of life is to go through trials and gradual reincarnations in order to ascend to godhood and then to some mysterious beyond

Representing Character: Ranweld, Hound Archon frequenting the Red Pony Inn. Loves a physical challenge

Ranweld__Hound_Archon.gif

The Bleak Cabal

BLEAKCABAL.gif

Nicknames: Bleakers, Madmen, The Cabal

Philosophy: There is no true "meaning" to the multiverse and no "true" beliefs. Any meaning in life has to come from within

Representing Character: Zegonz Vlaric, githzerai retired adventurer working as a barman at the Styx Oarsman

Zegonz_Vlaric.png

Doomguard

DOOMGUARD.gif

Nickname: Sinkers

Philosophy: Entropy is inevitable and divine. Everything falls apart

Representing Character: Ely Cromlich, cambion and factotum

Ely_Cromlich.jpg

Dustmen

DUSTMEN.gif

Nickname: The Dead

Philosophy: This multiverse is not the real one; we're all dead. The goal is to overcome passion and emotion and achieve the nirvana of True Death.

Representing Character: Skall, Dustmen Factol and rumored founder

factol_dustmen.jpg

The Fated

FATED.gif

Nicknames Takers, The Heartless

Philosophy: The Multiverse belongs to those who hold it. If you can take something, or earn it, you deserve it. Weakness is an excuse

Representing Character: Unthar, factotum

Unthar.jpg

Fraternity of Order

FRATERNITYOFORDER.gif

Nickname: Guvners

Philosophy: The Planes are governed by laws. Laws can be learned. Learn the laws, and you can rule the multiverse

Representing Character: The Guvner (no other name known)

pgp_022_01.png

The Free League

FREELEAGUE.gif

Nickname: The Indeps

Philosophy: No faction knows the whole truth, or should tell anyone what to do. Each person should be free to find his own truth

Representing Character: Ghal, Minotaur. Frequents the Red Pony Inn

Ghal.gif

Harmonium

HARMONIUM.gif

Nickname: Hardheads (never say it to their face though)

Philosophy: Everything should live in perfect peace and harmony - under the Harmonium's rule, that is

Representing Character: Fulgarn, paladin. Frequents the Red Pony Inn

Fulgarn__Harmonium_Elf_Paladin.jpg

Mercykillers

MERCYKILLERS.gif

Nicknames: The Red Death

Philosophy:  Justice is everything. When properly applied, punishment leads to perfection. Mercy is an excuse for the weak and obstructs justice

Representing Character: The Mercykiller (no other name known)

pgp_025_01.png

The Revolutionary League

REVOLUTIONARYLEAGUE.gif

Nickname: Anarchists

Philosophy:  The power structures and man-made laws of the multiverse are inherently corrupt. The Factions are keeping everyone from finding the real truth of the multiverse. The only solution is to tear everything down and rebuild with what's left

Representing Character: None. They do have a habit of keeping their affiliations secret in order to infiltrate other factions.

Sign of One

SIGNOFONE.gif

Nickname: Signers

Philosophy:  Everyone is at the center of their own multiverse, and reality itself can be altered with the power of imagination. Everything is subjective and we each form our own reality.

Representing Character: Gedramak, dwarf

Dwarf_smith.jpg

Society of Sensation

SOCIETYOFSENSATION.gif

Nickname: Sensates

Philosophy:  Through experience, one gains knowledge. Once everything has been experienced, enlightenment can be reached

Representing Character: Morgil DeSomnus, bard and patron of the Red Pony Inn

Morgil_DeSomnus__Sensate_Bard.jpg

Transcendent Order

TRANSCENDENTORDER.gif

Nickname: Ciphers

Philosophy:  Action without thought is the purest. When you train your body and mind to act as one, you can become one with the Multiverse itself

Representing Character: The Cipher (no other name known), monk and martial artist

Pathfinder-Darius-by-Yama-320.png

Xaositects

XAOSITECTS.gif

Nickname: Chaosmen

Philosophy:  There is no order to reality. No truth except Chaos

Representing Character: Sly Nye, tiefling barrister

sly_nye_by_syreene-d3fhdvy.jpg

Bonus Characters

WHF06_LightWizard.png

Leopold Hoch, philosopher and wizard of the Order of Light. My character in an ongoing Warhammer Fantasy game. Calm, cool headed, calculating and patient.

Big%20Magic_zpslhcaxtye.jpg

Big Magic, my character in the Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 videogame. The equivalent of Kimbo Slice in that universe, he gained fame as a streetfighter through youtube and tried his hand at MMA but it didn't work out that well. He was offered a job as the "Comissioner of Violence", an on-screen authority figure for Grimm SoCal Wrestling (GSW) and is also the promotion's booker. In his first year at the company, he's managed to put out quality shows while slowly transforming the product from a "hood entertainment" show of scantily clad women and black men beating each other to death to an actual wrestling show whose reality-based characters and storylines revolve around current social issues.

• Like 9

Despite actually understanding a dwindling percentage of your challenges these days, I am here to smile and nod along as usual :D 

• Like 10

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

2 hours ago, deftona said:

Despite actually understanding a dwindling percentage of your challenges these days, I am here to smile and nod along as usual :D 

@deftona, you can sit with me. 

I will read tea leaves and de-cipher.

• Like 5

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Heh, more awesome! following! 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

I tried to figure out which faction I would fit into but I just can't and gave up for now.  Something to work on~

Here, natch. :)

• Like 2

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

Following again commander.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I feel like I'm taking a stroll through your mind with these Planescape threads. Following along of course.

• Like 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

I like that you listed sorting out the family drama as one of your goals. Often people leave that kind of thing off, but it's going on in the background, completely draining energy. This way it's front and center and something you are invested in working on. Makes really good sense.

• Like 5

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

16 hours ago, deftona said:

13 hours ago, Heidi said:

@deftona, you can sit with me. 

I will read tea leaves and de-cipher.

9 hours ago, Jarric said:

I feel like I'm taking a stroll through your mind with these Planescape threads. Following along of course.

@Heidi and @Jarric seem to have caught onto the spirit of this. I think it'll basically be reports on my goal progress, peppered with commentary from the above characters on their philosophical interpretation of events.

12 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Heh, more awesome! following! 

Always surprises me to see people excited about my insane ramblings :D

11 hours ago, shaar said:

I tried to figure out which faction I would fit into but I just can't and gave up for now.  Something to work on~

Here, natch. :)

You know what, I don't think I'd ever be that absolute about my worldviews to the point of joining a specific faction and discarding the rest. I mean, I lean towards some of them, I like some but disagree with certain aspects and some others I'm not that happy about.

Ghal.gif

Ghal: "Which means you'd be an Indep. One, because we don't think there's any Faction that knows the whole truth. Two, because we're fiercly supportive of everyone's freedom to find and uphold their own theory and Three, because we're not really a faction, but more like a loose coalition of people watching each other's backs against Faction oppression. There's no such thing as being truly unaligned, DarK_RaideR. You're only Clueless when you first get in touch with the Planes, once you get the hang of it, you've picked a side even if you don't know or don't want it."

Even if as a player you try to look for the most "powerful" build for your character, it's never that simple. My go-to example is the Sign of One: These people shape their own realities to such an extent that they have been known to convince others in an argument of their non-existence. They can literally talk people out of existence. Poof. Of course that runs a risk of backfiring, as they can spiral into doubting their own existence and literally think themselves out of being.

Solipsism gone wrong

Dwarf_smith.jpg

Gedramak: "To our defense, we also learn the ability to shape our own realities to the point where we can emulate spell effects, regardless of our character classes. Pretty awesome if you ask me."

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following again commander.

Welcome aboard, chaplain. It's a shame you can't sit down for a nice cup of tea and a talk with the Athar :P

Zerr: "That sounds pretty civilized. Funny, I thought discussing atheism over the internet was the exact opposite."

7 hours ago, Xena said:

I like that you listed sorting out the family drama as one of your goals. Often people leave that kind of thing off, but it's going on in the background, completely draining energy. This way it's front and center and something you are invested in working on. Makes really good sense.

I'm no stranger to procastrination, especially when it involves avoiding conflict, but this thing has been dragging on for way too long.

Pathfinder-Darius-by-Yama-320.png

Cipher: "Action. I like it"

pgp_025_01.png

Mercykiller: "I support that. Procastrination, delay, cowardice... those are signs of weakness to be destroyed."

Unthar.jpg

Uthar: "If you want to be left alone, you have to earn it, especially against parents. Enough delays already."

sly_nye_by_syreene-d3fhdvy.jpg

Sly Nye: "I'm just gonna make myself comfortable here and wait for all this ambitious plan to fall apart."

Ely_Cromlich.jpg

Ely Cromlich: "Everything falls apart, sooner or later."

Zegonz_Vlaric.png

Zegonz Vlaric: "You know what, this back and forth is completely pointless. Just like the discussions at the Hall of Speakers. Good job DarK_RaideR, you've brought that nonsense into your thread."

• Like 5

Following along again!

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Ah, dear ranger.

The choice of no choice is still a choice.

All choices have consequences.

Tea?

• Like 4

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 |

Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Welcome aboard, chaplain. It's a shame you can't sit down for a nice cup of tea and a talk with the Athar :P

Zerr: "That sounds pretty civilized. Funny, I thought discussing atheism over the internet was the exact opposite."

I get why someone would be an atheist. I'm not so much worried about convincing people God exists as I am about convincing them I am sincere in my beliefs. Past that it's being consistent with those beliefs and letting the God that I believe in do the rest.

• Like 7

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

How I feel reading your challenge

Frinkiac - S09E03 - BRILLIANT. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON.

Complete ignorance won't stop me following your challenge.

• Like 11

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Being brave and diving in to (trying to) follow your thread this challenge!  I like the commentary... somehow it reminds me of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

• Like 3

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

8 minutes ago, Cascade said:

I like the commentary... somehow it reminds me of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Success is mine.

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

On 29/11/2016 at 4:28 PM, Heidi ☯ said:

Ah, dear ranger.

The choice of no choice is still a choice.

All choices have consequences.

Tea?

Absolutely. I've become a fan of Rooibos as of late, especially when there's a bit of honey involved. I assume your "no-choice" comment has to do with not committing to a specific faction and Ghal's comment?

23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I get why someone would be an atheist. I'm not so much worried about convincing people God exists as I am about convincing them I am sincere in my beliefs. Past that it's being consistent with those beliefs and letting the God that I believe in do the rest.

Agreed. The most annoying thing about discussing arguing about these things online is that people try to shove their viewpoint down other people's throats. Can't help but admire how NF has proven to be such a nice environment to talk about touchy topics. I recall a certain conversation about gun control somewhere...

Ely_Cromlich.jpg

Ely Cromlich: "If only we had guns in our world. Advancing destruction and entropy would be so much easier."

Fulgarn__Harmonium_Elf_Paladin.jpg

Fulgarn: "As would be maintaining order against lawbreakers. Peace through superior firepower, that's the Harmonium way"

Big Magic: "Will you people shut up and let the man talk about the first day of his new challenge?"

So the first day of the challenge didn't work out that fine. I somehow misunderstood some food arrangements and ended up with no lunch to take with me to work. Plus a few other things and more sweets than I'd like. I can't really figure how the trend turned around like this, usually challenges start strong and get progressively harder. Anyway, lectures for my Masters began anew so Tuesdays and Thursdays are reserved for that, meaning I gotta take advantage of the other three days for my workouts. Monday's already down the drain, I'm trying to plan for a Saturday session to make up for that.

Big Magic: "Plus he played a lot of TEW. Where he's doing a better job tackling issues, from what I see going on here"

In other news, I got complimented at the office from my professor and his colleague about the 28 page document I had written, which they both consider "tighter and more substantial" than the 112 page monstrosity this famous lawman they're working with ended up mailing back. It got even better as I read it and located parts that were 100% mine, copy-pasted and integrated into the overall document. Now despite the obvious yay here, I should note that my writings have always been like that. Thing is, the educational system favors quantity over quality, to the point where I've failed university exams because I'd written stuff that was "correct, but needed a bit more sauce on the side* " so this was good for morale and even better considering I'll be working on my final thesis with a guy who thinks the way I do.

*Exact quote uttered by one of my university professors during law school

The other thing is news about the SRLF. Long story short (plus this is personal medical data) the doctor told her she's got a condition that can't be cured, treated or subdued and not only does she have to live with it, but she's not allowed to put pressure on one arm/shoulder to the point where she can't even carry a bag on one side. This of course means no workouts except low intensity stuff that doesn't stress that area.

I'm fresh from a 3 hour meeting at work that's gonna be a mess to explain why it's a win, but among others I got mentions and credit for something I did on a major project months back. Just as I expected someone to say that was too long ago, the infamous vitriolic "colleague" stepped in and actually praised me for it.

• Like 8
4 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I've become a fan of Rooibos as of late, especially when there's a bit of honey involved.

Vanilla Rooibos it is, then.

Thistle honey from a nearby hive.

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

On 11/28/2016 at 8:57 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

My concept for 2017 is to be more me and to that end I shall design the yearly goals.

I am having the same thoughts here!  

I'm intrigued by your challenge and these factions...  Not sure I quite get it all yet, but I'm gonna stick around and figure it out!   Bummer about the SRLF but I understand about the significant other having ailments that can not be resolved.  It sucks and I will send you both positive vibes so that you may find a resolution.  

• Like 2

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Winter is Coming

Great that you were recognized for your succinct precise writing!

Your description of SLRF's shoulder sounds pretty disappointing. Does that rule out permanently, are there ways to modify movements, or it is something of a wait-and-see situation? Hopefully not ruled out entirely/permanently.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Following! Although I have no idea who those people are. :P

Sent from my iPad whilst exploring dungeons

• Like 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Let me mix in a little Wikipedia info to make it easier for you all.

What is this Planescape?

Planescape is a campaign setting for the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game. As its name suggests, the setting crosses the numerous planes of existence, linking them via inter-dimensional magical portals.

And who are all these characters?

These are characters from a Planescape-based D&d game I've run in the past, each representing one Faction. I took Planescape's concept of 'portals connecting various planes of existence' and threw in our reality as one of them, meaning my fantastical characters have now brought their arguing into my thread. Think of it like Jumanji (what do you mean you haven't seen Jumanji?)

Assuming I get the concept so far, what are these Factions you speak of?

Factions are philosophically based power groups in the Planescape campaign setting. Each of the Factions is based around one particular belief system.

So are they like philosophers with different viewpoints arguing? I thought D&d was about knights and wizards and dragons and THE DEMOGORGON!

Planescape describes the Factions as "philosophers with clubs". That is because in the setting, one's viewpoints are more than just theoretical talk, it's the way they live their life, because the more people who believe the basic laws of the universe work a certain way, the more the universe tends to work in just that way. Alignment and philosophy are more than roleplaying tools -- they're the main point, to the extent where if a critical mass of people behave in the same way, they might just wake up to discover their town has "relocated" to a plane corresponding to that behavior. There's a territorial war going on and the only way to gain land is not to go there and occupy it, but to influence it towards your own beliefs until it becomes part of your domain.

For example, in the game I mentioned running, the Harmonium had a history of "containment camps" based on the good-aligned plane of Arcadia. Their thinking was that the very nature of the plane would reform criminals, but it backfired and the population change caused the camps to slide towards the more evil and/or chaotic planes. To make up for the lost ground, the Harmonium was going to hold a ceremony in another town under their control, spearheaded by a famous paladin, in order for the town to "ascend" towards Arcadia. Problem was, the paladin's legendary sword got stolen by some fiends (along with his entire arm, because the evil outsiders couldn't even touch the holy blade) so my players were pressganged to make it to the second level of Baator (Lawful evil plane a.k.a. Hell) and retrieve it from the tower of that layer's lord. Turned out said lord had somehow managed to imprison a powerful demon inside the holy blade, who posessed the paladin at the height of the ceremony and sent him on a murderous spree. It was the players' actions from that point onward that would determine where the town would end up.

• Like 5

I play Second Edition, and love it. 

Want to run a game for me @DarK_RaideR?

:)

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

15 hours ago, Xena said:

Great that you were recognized for your succinct precise writing!

Your description of SLRF's shoulder sounds pretty disappointing. Does that rule out permanently, are there ways to modify movements, or it is something of a wait-and-see situation? Hopefully not ruled out entirely/permanently.

It got even better, I just gotta find the time to write it all down.

Unfortunately, sounds like it's permanent ban for the SRLF. She's taking it easy for this week,see if it makes a difference.

2 hours ago, Heidi ☯ said:

I play Second Edition, and love it. 

Want to run a game for me @DarK_RaideR?

:)

I'd love to, your philosophical game is really strong. You missed the link on my initial post about running a Play by post Planescape game,I had a free spot but it was taken yesterday. Although admittedly,it's using 5th edition rules.

• Like 2