RisenPhoenix Does One

RisenPhoenix

giphy.gif

I really should have been screaming into the side of a koalasheep more the last few months

So, Selfcare challenges.  I apparently have the habit, after looking over my old challenges (this is my 27th challenge on NF, by the way), to really need a self-care focused challenge every, eh 5-6 challenge rounds.  Given how stressful the last couple of weeks have been and the fact that the holiday season is on us, it's probably good if I force into my brain that selfcare is an every-day thing, and not a "sometimes" thing.  Add in that I'm also kind of injured (shoulder, foot doing a bit of planter facitis or something), and I should really zone in on those things to get better.  So, the goal isn't quantity right now, it's quality, and focus-on-me levels of it (that'll come into play in a bit, you'll see).  Just gotta do ONE thing.  Per day.  But ONE thing.

1) Self Care: Perform one of these tasks, once a day.

·        Meditation (10+ minutes)

·        Reading

·        Early bed ( 9.5+ hours sleep total)

·        Extended no-electronics time (4+ hours)

·        Walks (unweighted)

·        Hermit DAY

·        Cooking experimentation

·        Python lessons?

These are all things that destress me.  You'll note that the dojo is not there.  That's because while I love my Mat Therapy, it still involves interacting with people, and while I love them all, sometimes it is a bit much (looking at you, OG...).  I never regret going to the dojo, but it does sometimes require me to drag myself there and the effort required to ramp myself up to movement is really hard when I'm feeling low.  So I'm not discounting it as a selfcare act, but I also don't want to be selfish with my mat time and make it all about me.

The other oddball thing here is the Python lessons.  I've wanted to learn some programming/coding for a bit.  When I was picking hobbies, I had options between coding and wood carving.  I went woodcarving because it's off the computer, but I'm currently buffering up against the fact that a lot of the things I want to do carving wise require some more tools and equipment.  If I have ideas I want to be able to implement them, not get frustrated with subpar tools when I can get my hands on them otherwise.  It's just the otherwise is Christmas, so the carving is on hold.  So I'm going to start coding.  I'd like to say it would be an hour or a lesson, but I'm not sure which I'm doing.  When I floating programming ideas, @The Most Loathed suggested I look into the book "Automate the Boring Stuff" and so I already grabbed that book and downloaded Python and started playing.  I don't feel like the lessons in the book are super hard, but it's early.  And then I might try to find a class to audit on Python.  So.  That's just stuff to do.

Anyway, doing these tasks once a day should help maintain my sanity.

2) Workouts:  Do one Workout Per Day

·        Aikido (one class)

·        Rucks

·        Lifting

·        November Project

·        Stretching/Yoga

In all likelihood, since I've included aikido in this, I'll probably still make 2 workouts a day.  But I want to get it into my brain that if I only do one thing I'm not a giant waste.  Which is why self care is there - to take up the time the second workout would have.  

3) Eating: Primal Holidays

Okay, not exactly a "One" theme here.  Goal is to eat mostly primal, or well measured non-primal things (like oatmeal and rice), hopefully mostly veggies.  I want to be able to go to the couple of holiday parties I have without feeling like I blew everything that week, and stricter eating will be key on the non-social side of things.  So only crappy eating when at social parties.  And thankfully, I no longer have any wiggle room in my budget to be social, so I can flat out refuse going out now because I have no money!  Unemployment is fun!

That about covers it.  Mostly focusing on taking care of myself.  I sense I'll need to do a lot of that in the coming days.

• Like 3

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

7 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Place holder until I figure out the specifics:

giphy.gif

What an excellent gif for a self-care challenge.  This is gonna be a self-care challenge, right?

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

24 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

What an excellent gif for a self-care challenge.  This is gonna be a self-care challenge, right?

Predominantly.  I'm also going to add in some diet.  Aikido ramblings will always happen, even if they aren't officially goals (if people have missed that in my FOUR years here.  Oh yea, Friday was my NF-iversary.)  I just need to figure out my exact plan of attack.

• Like 1

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

#1 at doing 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

2 hours ago, Oramac said:

Placeholder following reply for the placeholder challenge. :D  

Placeholder No longer!  Challenge up and away!

2 hours ago, raptron said:

#1 at doing 1

Better than being #1 at doing #2?

Challenge up!  Selfcare, away!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Most Loathed said:

I haven't tried it out yet but they are also offering Automate the Boring Stuff as a free online course today.

Let's be programming learning buddies. I'll go back and reread the early chapters. Let me know if there's anything that's really tripping you up.

Holy crap, convenient timing!  I am so glad I tagged you now.  Initially I was going to leave you alone. :P

And I'm down for that.  I have some really, really basic understanding of how programming works in general from the R course I was taking, but clearly that means I'll understand general syntax at best, but not a damn thing otherwise with Python.

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

Ooh, I remember programming being fun! And the added flexibility it will give you can only help.

Take care yo'self!

Yea, and automating boring spreadsheets to do my analysis is wonderful.  I did it a bit in excel at the Hell Job, but this will take it to the next level.  And once I get a decent handle on Python's more robust usage, I'll go back and do the R stuff for the more analytical side of things.  Because scientists love our excel spreadsheets.

And that's the plan! (He says, icing his gimpy foot at the moment.)

Just now, SevenFootGeek said:

And here I am, abandoning my programming roots to find a new career doing voice work.  Oh, the parallels.

Also, I am back.

Ha.  Well, I'm not looking for a NEW career, just something to expand mine.  And also maybe give me the chance one day to move into data science in general, which would open up my work opportunities for when/if I get tired of being a bench worker.

And I noticed.  And I totally didn't miss you at all.  Newp.  Not one bit.

10 minutes ago, Oramac said:

I've been looking at voice work myself.  How are you going about it?  

By throwing myself into the deep end.  I've been taking voice acting lessons and am in the process of finding a casting agent.  

Possibly also for screen work as whatever giant alien the sci-fi du jour needs in my home town.   <.<  >.>

• Like 4

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Day negative whatever.

Had an interview this morning that went fairly well.  Not far from where I live, pretty close to the dojo, near what's probably a decent gym, and the topic of study is pretty nifty.  Not in my desired field, exactly, but immunotherapies are a pretty cool topic to work on.  So I can't complain.  Got along well with the two hiring manager/bosses, got a few laugh from the red Biohazard socks I was wearing.  They were a tactical choice - the company is big on being slightly zany and out there, and something that colorful will leave a lasting impression I think.  Only a primary interview, if they like me they'll call me back in to meet the rest of the team.  In the mean time, I have ANOTHER interview on Thursday, with the government.  Department of Public Health.  It'd be a slightly boring job, but I would also get trained in Bio Safety Level 3 procedures.  There are only 4 levels, and BSL4 labs are in the CDC.  And that's pretty much it.  BSL3 training isn't much more common, but it's an extra feather in my cap to show I really am interested in infectious diseases.  So we shall see.

I did a bit of the Automate the Boring Stuff's course work last night.  It took maybe an hour or so to do like, 4 lessons (that I had read in the book before I signed up for the class) and then another 2 lessons of actual coding work.  Nothing too advanced, still just playing around, but I think I'm going to like that.  After that, I played a bit of No Man's Sky (which had a new update that changes quite a few things, so I was trying to see what was going on with the system), and then headed to bed to read maybe 45 minutes before I wanted lights out.  I forgot how much reading before bed, no internet/phone to distract me, helps me get to sleep.  Really need to do that more often.

Fasted through the interview, and just ate a nice primal breakfast as a victory: Coffee (duh), three eggs, two and a half bacon slices, some spinach, and a smaller sweet potato.  It'll probably be the majority of what I eat today.  

I'm going to go to the dojo tonight for class at 6 to 7, and see how my shoulder does.  It's still really annoying and painful to move around, but I can at least touch most of the bruised bone area without it causing shooting pain.  I won't want to take hard falls, and I'll be taking the arm so people are aware that I'm having issues, but it's still gonna be a game of "What can RP do?"  Hopefully in another week or two this will heal up.  It's still impossible for me to sleep on that shoulder, because the pressure of my bodyweight on my arm hurts the bone.  But it is getting better.  Just... far too slowly.  I might be able to do squats, now, though.  Should have healed enough that I can balance a bar.  That's a thing to test this week.

November Project tomorrow will also show me how my foot is feeling, and how running up steps feels to my shoulder.  Aikido at night is questionable.  Might give it extra time to heal up.

And so, now to go do some coding work.  Then I can relax for the rest of the day.  Give myself some credit for the interview this morning.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, SevenFootGeek said:

Half a slice of bacon?  I think you're getting sick.

Solely because it was the last fragment of bacon left, and it was like a gimpy super thin slice.  I have another bacon package, but I wanted to not open it yet.

Your update is great, and everything in it is great.

Your thread title, however, sounds a little suggestive, and my inner twelve-year-old can't even decide which joke to make.

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Following as well. I do want to nitpick one thing from your goals that got me all Chaplain-y...

On 11/28/2016 at 11:12 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

But I want to get it into my brain that if I only do one thing I'm not a giant waste.

I know you mean that you are trying to get yourself used to the idea that doing even one thing is good. I also want to say.

YOU. ARE. NOT. A. WASTE. OF. SPACE.

Even if you do zero things, you are not, nor will you ever be, a waste of space. Your self worth is something intrinsic to who you are. Even when you don't see it for yourself it's still there. It's not based on what you do, or what you are capable of. You exist, therefore you have worth. Feeling otherwise does not change the truth that you have worth.

• Like 8

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following as well. I do want to nitpick one thing from your goals that got me all Chaplain-y...

I know you mean that you are trying to get yourself used to the idea that doing even one thing is good. I also want to say.

Even if you do zero things, you are not, nor will you ever be, a waste of space. Your self worth is something intrinsic to who you are. Even when you don't see it for yourself it's still there. It's not based on what you do, or what you are capable of. You exist, therefore you have worth. Feeling otherwise does not change the truth that you have worth.

Good catch, Tank.  This is something I struggle with as well.  

RP, Tank is right, even if it doesn't feel like it.  I know it's tough to wrap the head around, and it's something I have to constantly remind myself of as well, but it's true. 

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

QFT

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

On 11/29/2016 at 5:59 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

On 11/30/2016 at 8:07 AM, Oramac said:

Good catch, Tank.  This is something I struggle with as well. 

This has been the mental health battle I've been brute-forcing my way through this year, so I'm glad you two caught that. For a long, long time, I defined myself by my jobs, which have always been cool or notable in some way. You know what that got me? Laid off, lost, and completely devoid of a sense of self-worth.

You're worthy, no matter what you do.

• Like 5