Manarelle stays flexible

Manarelle

After three months of freedom, classes resume this week. The syllabus for the thesis "class" specifically states to allot more time and effort to this class than anticipated. Consequentially, I am making a challenge, but also very prepared to change it, as needed. 

I recently found out I have a torn supraspinatus (rotator cuff) muscle. While there is no pain, I am doing PT to strengthen other muscles around it, and have to put handstands and pull-ups on hold for a while. Rather than whinge about losing out on muscle building, I'm going to shift focus slightly to the flexibility side of the pike-to-handstand goal, and focus on good form in all of my exercises.

Goals:

• Flexibility: Work through 30 days to splits (link).
  • Strength: Restructure workouts to focus on form and stability; keep at it.
  • Cardio: If the treadmill works out, shift from walking to running.
  • Parkour: Once a week; keep at it.
  • Diet: Stay within macros and calories; keep at it.
  • Languages: At least once a week per language (reduction); keep at it.
  • Thesis: Don't screw this up. 
  • Attitude: Don't get wound up; keep at it.

That seems like a lot on paper, but most of it is maintenance of what I do anyway. The thesis and attitude take priority, but I should be able to keep it all going, at least at a reduced rate. If things change drastically, then I'll just be more...

flexible.gif

• Like 5

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Sounds great! Flexibility is an important part of life because nothing ever quite goes to plan.

• Like 2

Philippians 4:13 I can do ALL things through HIM who gives me strength

LEVEL 2

(STR) - 3     (DEX) - 2      (STA) - 4     (CON) -2    (WIS) 5    (CHA) - 2

Sounds like a good challenge. I did the 30 days to splits when she first posted it. It's pretty good. I did not get all the way down after the 30 days,but I did see improvement. Doing it a few more times to get my splits back is one of the things on my respawn list. Have fun!

Also, good luck with the thesis. As someone who just watched their spouse get their masters, it sounds like your off to a good start. Just make sure you space all the work out and you should be just fine. He had a few classmates who didn't do that who were panicking near the end. You sound much more organized though, so I'm betting you won't have that problem. :)

• Like 1

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

11 hours ago, mom2sjm said:

What languages are you studying?  I recently started up again with Spanish.  I do have a nightly study goal but it's not an official part of my challenge...

French and Russian for maintenance/ vocab building, and I just started Japanese. When I'm not in Masters classes, I do Duolingo, read news, and have a Russian tutor I meet up with bi-weekly, but classes make finding that time slightly difficult. I was kind of hoping to make languages and translation a part of the new career, so it behooves me not to let them fade away. Spanish is a very useful language to have; what do you use to study?

8 hours ago, Elennare said:

Also, good luck with the thesis. As someone who just watched their spouse get their masters, it sounds like your off to a good start. Just make sure you space all the work out and you should be just fine. He had a few classmates who didn't do that who were panicking near the end. You sound much more organized though, so I'm betting you won't have that problem. :)

Thanks. I'm fairly confident I can schedule appropriately, but it's an order of magnitude larger than anything I've done before, so better safe than sorry. I've made it through a double BA and almost all of an MA without pulling an all-nighter; hoping to keep that streak going. 

• Like 1

Went to pt today, therapist started with the graston tool, and now I feel like I've been horribly beaten from my shoulder to my elbow. No bruises, just muscle pain. Never hurt this badly on the fractured ankle - wonder how long I've been screwing up this arm. Wonder how many other things I've screwed up that I don't know about because there's no equivalent exercise I'm failing at to make me realize things are screwed up. 

Not the best of days. Here's to tomorrow.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2016 at 0:08 PM, Manarelle said:

Goals:

• Flexibility: Work through 30 days to splits (link).

Whaaaaat? As someone who thought I'd never be able to do the splits, this is a very intriguing proposition. I am eager to hear how it goes for you!

• Like 1

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

8 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Went to pt today, therapist started with the graston tool, and now I feel like I've been horribly beaten from my shoulder to my elbow. No bruises, just muscle pain. Never hurt this badly on the fractured ankle - wonder how long I've been screwing up this arm. Wonder how many other things I've screwed up that I don't know about because there's no equivalent exercise I'm failing at to make me realize things are screwed up. 

Not the best of days. Here's to tomorrow.

*Digital hugs*

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

9 hours ago, traaki said:

Whaaaaat? As someone who thought I'd never be able to do the splits, this is a very intriguing proposition. I am eager to hear how it goes for you!

Same here. We'll see...

1 hour ago, zeroh13 said:

*Digital hugs*

Thanks. Still hurts today - hopefully a sign of healing.

• Like 1

Week 0 update:

• Flexibility: Days 1-6 done.
  • Strength: Keeping at it (see spoiler below).
  • Cardio: Will pick this up tomorrow. My gentleman has also expressed interest in using it (which I am very supportive of!)
  • Parkour: Good class today. Jammed a finger and got some nice bruises, but as always, had a blast. 
  • Diet: Under or at macros all but 1 (cheat) day. Tweaking now that working out has resumed.
  • Languages: French and Russian, yes. Japanese might have to go on hold. 
  • Thesis: Week 1 done. Week 2 can't start without a meeting with the prof, waiting for the schedule to come out. 
  • Attitude: Swore a couple times in traffic, no yelling though. 
Spoiler

Workout for week 1, focus on form:

•    Int flat/ Ext 90° rotations        15     15     15  (PT for shoulders - blue/red bands)
•    Goblet squats (15#)                8       7       5
•    Ext flat/ Int 90° rotations        15     15     15 (PT for shoulders - red/blue bands)
•    Single leg deadlift (10#)        5/5    5/5    5/5
•    Scap rows/ rows                    15     15     15 (PT for shoulders - black and blue bands)
•    Bicep curls (5#)                     15     15     15 (PT for shoulders)
•    Cossack squats                     5/5    5/5    5/5

Got cleared to up weights/resistance (carefully) on anything that's "too easy." Right now that means bicep curls and rows. Everything else is still either a challenge or focused on form so I don't screw up something else. 

Overall, good week. Work was rather stressful, but all temporary things I could let go of at 5pm. Got half the peanuts harvested before my shoulder started hurting; didn't want to push it so I'll go back this week to clear the rest, then garden stuff will be completely done for the year. PT on Friday went much better: I have two sessions next week and nothing for the week after that, pending results next week. They told me not to do any overhead stuff yet which I might have fudged on a bit at parkour today, but it felt solid and I didn't push it hard. Still, since there was no pain to begin with, how can I know it's "improving" unless I try the one thing that I wasn't able to do before? It is pretty neat to watch shoulder muscles come into being, however, so I will definitely continue these exercises. 

• Like 5

@Manarelle " Work was rather stressful, but all temporary things I could let go of at 5pm "

This is an amazing trait. I work in the hotel business and I couldn't survive if I couldn't do that. I have a new co-worker who is struggling. I hope your next week is less stressful though. Great luck with your challenge!

• Like 1

Khajiit Assassin in Training

“Even the word Hopeless...isn't void of Hope."

10 hours ago, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

I work in the hotel business and I couldn't survive if I couldn't do that.

Ouch, there's a stressful occupation. I decided long ago that if you drag your emotions home from work, you're really just poisoning your own life. Walk away, focus on what you're doing now

In other good news, I got the treadmill! Did not take into account the ceiling being slightly lower in the room we put it in, but it's not at life-threatening levels (I think). True test will be Tuesday. When I can walk/run..... inside.... without bundling up and slowly losing feeling in my extremities. (I'm very excited). 

• Like 4

I need to work on not bringing my work emotions home. I tend to complain a lot about work.

"Welcome home! How was your day?"

"Well... [10 minutes of ranting and/or complaining]. How was your day?"

Ooo, treadmill! I had to put running on the back burner until spring, because nope, not going out there in this cold.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Yesterday was nasty all day. Dark and grey and alternating between a bleah drizzle and sideways downpours. Cold weather, cold rain, seeping chills, pitch black by 3pm... just a nasty day. Traffic came to a stop about 1/2 a mile away from work and I didn't make it out of third gear until 3 miles from home. 

But

I got to go for a walk/run on my nice new (to me) treadmill in a well-lit, warm basement with upbeat music playing on my headphones. Cooldown was nice and relaxed afterwards, instead of a rush to stretch muscles before the cold froze my extremities off. I started late and still got to bed earlier than usual. 

Life is pretty dang good. I've dropped back to a 16-minute mile, and lost a lot of running stamina, but since I'll be able to run regularly now (and not at the mercy of massive hills in the neighborhood), I predict that my time will improve. 

• Like 3

On 12/3/2016 at 3:45 PM, Manarelle said:

Attitude: Swore a couple times in traffic, no yelling though.

It's hard not to swear a little bit in traffic.  

How are the stretches treating you? 

• Like 1

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

18 minutes ago, traaki said:

How are the stretches treating you? 

Gosh DANG IT. I was so excited about the treadmill last night that I totally forgot to do the 30 days of stretches. Drat. Other than last night, they're doing really well. I'm not pushing, just letting each one fall where it may. On day one, I couldn't do stretch #1 (clasp hands behind back and bend forward) due to hand strength and my shoulder being stiff. On Monday, I finally did 30 full seconds of it. Baby steps, but I'm proud. Otherwise, I feel much more comfortable in each one, and my legs don't feel as tight anymore. Who knows how the actual splits have progressed, though. :)

• Like 2

Lol

I've already gotten bored with splits training stretching but maybe I should be motivated to do it again by staying ahead of you. :lol: I can touch my toes again, which is great.  It would probably help if I were focusing more on lower body strength training as well instead of just push-ups.

5 hours ago, Manarelle said:

On day one, I couldn't do stretch #1 (clasp hands behind back and bend forward) due to hand strength and my shoulder being stiff. On Monday, I finally did 30 full seconds of it.

I use that stretch more to stretch my pecs (something I try to do often due to posture and being a musician) than to stretch my hamstrings/legs so maybe that's why I had an easier time of it.

• Like 1

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

8 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Gosh DANG IT. I was so excited about the treadmill last night that I totally forgot to do the 30 days of stretches. Drat. Other than last night, they're doing really well. I'm not pushing, just letting each one fall where it may. On day one, I couldn't do stretch #1 (clasp hands behind back and bend forward) due to hand strength and my shoulder being stiff. On Monday, I finally did 30 full seconds of it. Baby steps, but I'm proud. Otherwise, I feel much more comfortable in each one, and my legs don't feel as tight anymore. Who knows how the actual splits have progressed, though. :)

I totally can't do that one! I tried it during my usual hamstring stretch and was just like, "Well, I guess I my dancer shoulders are now coder shoulders." Congrats on getting 30 seconds!

• Like 1

Wow to commitment to running indoors.  Where are you located, generally?  Sounds like the PNW.  Or Boston.  I remember the days just being so short... and cold... in the winter.

9 hours ago, traaki said:

I totally can't do that one! I tried it during my usual hamstring stretch and was just like, "Well, I guess I my dancer shoulders are now coder shoulders." Congrats on getting 30 seconds!

LOL!!!

• Like 2

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

2 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

Wow to commitment to running indoors.  Where are you located, generally?  Sounds like the PNW.  Or Boston.  I remember the days just being so short... and cold... in the winter.

LOL!!!

Currently stuck in Maryland. I have lots to say about it, very little good (my heart is still in Colorado). It's not really as cold as some places I've lived, but my lungs tend to seize up if I breathe heavily in less than 50° weather. My gentleman teases that I'm solar powered, and I can't really argue with him. If I don't get 2-3 hours in the sun per day, my mood is much less buoyant.  This whole "dark on the way to work and dark on the way home" thing stinks. I miss my garden...

14 hours ago, Snickie said:

I've already gotten bored with splits training stretching but maybe I should be motivated to do it again by staying ahead of you. :lol: I can touch my toes again, which is great.  It would probably help if I were focusing more on lower body strength training as well instead of just push-ups.

Challenge accepted! Day 10 will be today. I use it as part of my cool-down routine after workouts. 

• Like 1