Manarelle stays flexible

Manarelle

See, I don't "work out" per se, as in I don't really have an allotted space of time which I dedicate solely to physical exercise.  I usually do my push-ups right before bed (recently shifted to mornings but will probably shift back to nights pretty quickly).  I tried working in the splits stretches between my sets of push-ups (which are supposed to have 60 second breaks in between anyway; they usually end up longer though) but again, I got bored.  I think it's the counting.  Also week before finals stress.

I stopped around day 5. XD

• Like 1

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

Move here to Australia. It's just getting really warm now. hitting the 30's (umm like 80-90 in farenheit?) Although you can't run in the spring at all because of crazy attacking birds. ha ha. Sounds like you're doing really well!

• Like 3

Philippians 4:13 I can do ALL things through HIM who gives me strength

LEVEL 2

(STR) - 3     (DEX) - 2      (STA) - 4     (CON) -2    (WIS) 5    (CHA) - 2

19 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Currently stuck in Maryland. I have lots to say about it, very little good (my heart is still in Colorado). It's not really as cold as some places I've lived, but my lungs tend to seize up if I breathe heavily in less than 50° weather. My gentleman teases that I'm solar powered, and I can't really argue with him. If I don't get 2-3 hours in the sun per day, my mood is much less buoyant.  This whole "dark on the way to work and dark on the way home" thing stinks. I miss my garden...

I hear you!  

I am not even biking right now (um, seriously icy roads and snow, plus it was 3 degrees out this morning) because of the whole "dark on the way to work, dark on the way home" thing.  I used to be committed to running outdoors in winter over my lunch hour, but I haven't been able to do even that because of the whole injury thing.  I really miss my sunlight!

Don't even get me started on Maryland, or DC, or NoVa for that matter.  I played "Don't go back to Rockville" by REM at maximum volume as I drove onto 270 for the last time back in 1997, on my way to Colorado.  Never looked back.

• Like 1

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

17 hours ago, TempestTiffy said:

Move here to Australia. It's just getting really warm now. hitting the 30's (umm like 80-90 in farenheit?) Although you can't run in the spring at all because of crazy attacking birds. ha ha

129526.jpg

I'm good, thanks. :) I'll take a little cold over having to check my every piece of clothing before putting it on. I've heard stories...

18 hours ago, Snickie said:

I tried working in the splits stretches between my sets of push-ups (which are supposed to have 60 second breaks in between anyway; they usually end up longer though) but again, I got bored.  I think it's the counting.  Also week before finals stress.

Mmmyup, finals trump all. Good luck with that. I use the stretches as a form of meditation and checking in with my body, so not as boring. I had to skip yesterday because of PT and all the deadlines hitting at once, but tonight is #10, and it should be regular after this. 

9 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

I am not even biking right now (um, seriously icy roads and snow, plus it was 3 degrees out this morning) because of the whole "dark on the way to work, dark on the way home" thing.  I used to be committed to running outdoors in winter over my lunch hour, but I haven't been able to do even that because of the whole injury thing.  I really miss my sunlight!

Don't even get me started on Maryland, or DC, or NoVa for that matter.  I played "Don't go back to Rockville" by REM at maximum volume as I drove onto 270 for the last time back in 1997, on my way to Colorado.  Never looked back.

I miss being able to see more than 3/10ths of a mile in any direction but up. I miss the huge sky and space and not having to force myself to drink water and less stuck up, jerky, self-centered people. Eight hours of sun per day when you can see it from horizon to horizon is so much different than 8 hours of sun per day trickling down through the naked trees and clouds and stupidly tall buildings and smog. Ugh. Ok, end rant. /wistful high five from the east coast

In other news, this week has been somewhat stressful. A major deadline cropped up that quite literally consumed all my waking hours (minus two, in PT) from Monday to this morning. I made it in time, but it was not a restful week. Speaking of PT, it's going... somewhat like a sine wave. One day will be good, and they'll talk about not making appointments next week, and the next will be achy and impinged and really painful graston massage. On the upside, I got a set of wooden rings to work on incline body rows (and other stuff) with, so I won't lose all my calluses between parkour classes, and they okayed Crow Pose. It's not full handstands, but maybe starting at the beginning will make me really nail the progression as it happens. 

My professor for the thesis dropped the ball this week by not scheduling meetings to discuss topics until this afternoon. That is, we didn't find out when we'd meet with him until this afternoon. Since the only "available times" to meet are tonight and tomorrow night, and our summary writeup is due Sunday night, I feel like that's not a good precedent to set. Not that I would have been able to work on it any earlier, with that deadline, but still. Frustrating. Here's hoping that the rest of the semester has a little bit more fore-planning in it. 

I am so looking forward to this weekend and zero plans. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

This is what I get for doing a summary before parkour... managed to flub two vaults today. I didn't get my knee high enough for the first one, and have an impressive goose egg there (squats may be shallow this week!). The second one, I have no idea what I did, I was just suddenly faceplanted on the far side of the vault. Thankfully there was a mat there, and my glasses bent instead of breaking, and I have no marks on my face. Usually, when someone fails hard, everything stops and it's all "Uh, are you ok, dude?" What I got was "Nice bail!" 

Me: "Uh.... minus the faceplant part?"

Teacher: "No, with it! You were already rolling when you hit the ground. Good job!" 

and then,

"Oh right, are you ok?"

So I guess I did something right, subconsciously. Yay? I still took some advil and will be doing regular stretches today to make sure I didn't pull something and stiffen up, but I'm 37, just did a faceplant over a 3' obstacle and walked away with no major damage (the knee doesn't count because that was a different fail). I'm counting that as a win!

So official week 1 recap:

• Flexibility: A few missed days, but feeling good with my progress.
  • Strength: Cleared to start Crow Pose and gymnastic rings (as long as hands are below me, not above). Making progress on PT stuff, too.
  • Cardio: Treadmill is a go, working at rebuilding running stamina.
  • Parkour: Done. 
  • Diet: Done. 
  • Languages: Done. 
  • Thesis: Met with the prof, got my topic approved, now to start research. 
  • Attitude: I got testy with a co-worker once this week, but was able to apologize and back down. Driving is about 70/30, good/bad. 

I can do this. 

• Like 3

Am loving your dedication.

On 12/9/2016 at 5:38 PM, Manarelle said:

In other news, this week has been somewhat stressful. A major deadline cropped up that quite literally consumed all my waking hours (minus two, in PT) from Monday to this morning. I made it in time, but it was not a restful week. Speaking of PT, it's going... somewhat like a sine wave. One day will be good, and they'll talk about not making appointments next week, and the next will be achy and impinged and really painful graston massage. On the upside, I got a set of wooden rings to work on incline body rows (and other stuff) with, so I won't lose all my calluses between parkour classes, and they okayed Crow Pose. It's not full handstands, but maybe starting at the beginning will make me really nail the progression as it happens. 

And I TOTALLY KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN about the sun, and the sky, and the outdoors!  My mood improved like 1000% when I got to Colorado.

• Like 1

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

23 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

So, what is your thesis topic?  Generally?  Are you some kind of linguist?  That's a lot of languages!

Generally, it's on the effect that finding spies has on international relations from various viewpoints, such as economy, trade, and political influence. Sounds exciting, no? Obviously, it's not a huge dataset, as espionage busts don't happen super often, but the repercussions are interesting.

Technically, I do have a BA in Linguistics, so you could say I'm a linguist. Realistically, though, I have no desire to freelance, so that closes a lot of career doors. I just love languages, and enjoy learning them and getting insight to other cultures. I'm intrigued by the idea that language affects worldview. For example, Russia does not have a unique word for "safety," the literal translation is "without danger." Can parallels be drawn to societal behavior that reflect that, or is it just seeing what one wants to see? That sort of thing just tickles my fancy. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

For example, Russia does not have a unique word for "safety," the literal translation is "without danger." Can parallels be drawn to societal behavior that reflect that, or is it just seeing what one wants to see? That sort of thing just tickles my fancy. 

Oooh, kind of like how there isn't really a word for "cold" in Esperanto, just "malvarma" which translates to "not warm/hot".  I mean it basically means "cold" and DuoLingo accepts it as a correct answer but still.

Another fun fact that you probably already knew: Russian does not have a verb "to have" due to the communist regime.  Instead, to express having something, they say that something is "near to them".

• Like 1

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

5 minutes ago, Snickie said:

Oooh, kind of like how there isn't really a word for "cold" in Esperanto, just "malvarma" which translates to "not warm/hot".  I mean it basically means "cold" and DuoLingo accepts it as a correct answer but still.

Another fun fact that you probably already knew: Russian does not have a verb "to have" due to the communist regime.  Instead, to express having something, they say that something is "near to them".

Exactly. Interestingly, Irish Gaelic does the same thing for "to have." It's literally translated as "this is at me." Why? Where did that come from?  Does that affect how people view possession? So intriguing. 

Week 2 check-in, as this weekend is likely to be very busy.

• Flexibility: Knee is slowly healing - 2 days of general stretching, 1 day of 30 days to splits routine. 
  • Strength: Did PT twice this week, lack of knee ROM meant lower body got a pass. 
  • Cardio: 1 day of walking for the knee, 1 day of walk/run. 
  • Parkour: Closed Saturday for testing (which I am not ready for). I will do this Sunday. 
  • Diet: Stayed under carbs, but had a struggle with calories. 
  • Thesis: In progress. 
  • Attitude: Not a good week. Didn't lash out, but I was fighting stress and depression. 

Long story short, this week was not good. I underestimated how much I'd gotten used to having "me time" during that semester off, and seriously resented it being taken away again. An injured knee and very painful PT massages had me depressed and not working out well for most of the week, which spilled over into my attitude and diet. I was significantly under calories for most days, and stupidly under for one day. I want to work to change this, focus on more protein, but I have to admit that I can't take more stress/goals right now, so that will be next challenge. 

I felt pretty confident going into this week's Russian lesson, but without regular practice, my brain started blanking on basic words, which did not help the attitude or depression. As with food, though, I need to accept that I cannot devote more time to this, and I will recover after the thesis is done. Although I made progress on cardio, I'm debating redoing my workouts to be 10-15 minutes of cardio every day as warm-up and splitting upper body and core/legs into separate days. PT has become my arm workout, and trying to reschedule legs in around everything else is not working. 

Continuing the "time crunch" theme this week, it appears that my thesis prof is a horrible slacker. We have deliverables due every Sunday night, and so far, he seems to be returning them late Wednesday, and only scheduling meetings to discuss them on Fridays and Sundays. As someone who prefers to have things done well in advance, this is extremely stressful for me. While we do get 2 weeks off for xmas/new year's, I suspect I will spend that time gathering sources and trying to work ahead as much as possible. Everything else (including anything holiday-related) will just have to wait until this project is over. Here's hoping I can stick to that attitude next week. 

• Like 1

Insult to injury, apparently my FAFSA application I filled out in spring didn't save, so I have zero financial aid lined up. I don't know if I should just pay the bill on my credit card to avoid the bull**** last-minute stress and late fees, or just crawl into a hole and never emerge. 

Update - I was looking at the wrong year. I did fill out my FAFSA, but they didn't apply my aid because "you didn't sign up for any fall courses, so we didn't apply any to winter, either." Proving that you don't need to be smart to work at a college, sadly. This has been sorted (I hope), but still just another notch on this week's suck card. 

Sending you cosmic support and this picture of an encouraging hedgehog:

4a095426861f58862ee003db003f4c25.jpg

Here's hoping this bad patch will be over quickly, and that you're soon back to your regularly scheduled badassery.

• Like 3

otterbyte, level 3 chirpy otter assassin

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 3

current challenges: otterbyte juggles priorities  \\ old challenges:4-week: DEC16 * JAN17 * FEB 17 * APR 17 * JAN 18\\ Assassin MiniChallenge: Epic Throwdown Championship * Assassin's Age: Origins \\ Monkey Tamers United

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Samuel Beckett

I was going to make some cute picture out of "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" only cross out Christmas and excitedly scrawl Handstands across it, but I only have MSPaint at home, and it looked a) horrible and b ) kind of rude, so I sha'n't. Please just image me excitedly saying it though. Moving on...

I got cleared for everything! Since PT has basically become a solid arm workout (complete with weight progressions) followed by getting beaten up with graston massage (seriously, bruises and everything), they cleared me for handstands and pull-up work again. Being slightly less stupid now (at least I'd like to think so), I'm going to take it slowly. Things got exacerbated last time by trying to add weights too fast, so I'm sticking to the slow progress with proper form. 

WHAT-DOES-THAT-EVEN-MEAN.jpg

Yeah, good question. Just because I'm feeling good and patient and sagacious (and, apparently, loquacious) now, what's to stop me from getting impatient and screwing up again? Hm. Nothing. Yay, free will? Anyway. means I'm sticking with the PT stuff, plus one "problematic" thing per workout: crow pose (working into handstands), or rings (working into pull-ups). When time gets short, as I know it will this semester, I can cut a workout down to two reps, but I will not cut out full exercises. Those muscles are there to help me, ignoring and unbalancing them will only hurt me. I got this.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2016 at 2:34 PM, Manarelle said:

This is what I get for doing a summary before parkour... managed to flub two vaults today. I didn't get my knee high enough for the first one, and have an impressive goose egg there (squats may be shallow this week!). The second one, I have no idea what I did, I was just suddenly faceplanted on the far side of the vault. Thankfully there was a mat there, and my glasses bent instead of breaking, and I have no marks on my face. Usually, when someone fails hard, everything stops and it's all "Uh, are you ok, dude?" What I got was "Nice bail!" 

Me: "Uh.... minus the faceplant part?"

Teacher: "No, with it! You were already rolling when you hit the ground. Good job!" 

and then,

"Oh right, are you ok?"

So I guess I did something right, subconsciously. Yay? I still took some advil and will be doing regular stretches today to make sure I didn't pull something and stiffen up, but I'm 37, just did a faceplant over a 3' obstacle and walked away with no major damage (the knee doesn't count because that was a different fail). I'm counting that as a win!

I was trying to teach myself to vault a bit a few months ago.  Outside on a short concrete bridge wall.  Hit the bone below the knee on one of my attempts.  Those hurt so bad!.  I really wish we had a parkour gym where I live.  Would be much more fun learning with a trainer and some mats.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

On 12/22/2016 at 11:05 PM, peelout said:

I was trying to teach myself to vault a bit a few months ago.  Outside on a short concrete bridge wall.  Hit the bone below the knee on one of my attempts.  Those hurt so bad!.  I really wish we had a parkour gym where I live.  Would be much more fun learning with a trainer and some mats.

O.O    OW. Yeah, I wouldn't want to try most of these things without a trainer. Have you looked around your area? They're becoming quite more prevalent in the US. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

O.O    OW. Yeah, I wouldn't want to try most of these things without a trainer. Have you looked around your area? They're becoming quite more prevalent in the US. 

Nothing in my area unfortunately.  It's an incredible sport.  I love watching videos of people doing it.  Although I think they will either destroy their knees or kill themselves.  Seen some crazy stuff.  At least I know I'm the only 56 yr old in my area I've seen trying it.  At least my mind is staying young.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

2 hours ago, peelout said:

Nothing in my area unfortunately.  It's an incredible sport.  I love watching videos of people doing it.  Although I think they will either destroy their knees or kill themselves.  Seen some crazy stuff.  At least I know I'm the only 56 yr old in my area I've seen trying it.  At least my mind is staying young.

That's a shame about nothing nearby. /highfive on staying young! I'm the oldest person in the "regular" classes at my place. They do offer "401k classes" which appear to be less impact, but... I don't know, I'm stubborn? Despite the injuries, it's still amazing what my body has been able to adapt to. They really focus on safety in the classes, so here's to no destroyed knees (other than when failing to clear a vault). 

If you have room/time/opportunity, I would highly recommend building a vault box to practice on. The first thing we do when learning a new move is just approach the box, put hands on it, and get a feel for where the feet go/weight shifts/jump height needed, etc. Also somewhat nicer on the knees than concrete when you miss. Good luck!

How on earth did I not post a week 3 update? Well, better late than never, I suppose. 

• Flexibility: Missed a few days but still going. 
  • Strength: Did PT twice this week, added in crow pose. 
  • Cardio: 2 days of walk/run. 
  • Parkour: Closed for Christmas weekend. 
  • Diet: Done.. 
  • Thesis: 4 pages of analysis done, through 3.5 of my initial 10 sources so far. 
  • Attitude: Done. 

Overall, it was a pretty good week last week. Didn't have to, but made good progress on the thesis, and I will likely do that again this weekend. Sadly, parkour was closed for the holidays last weekend, so that's 2 weeks I've missed. Still, making good progress in almost every other category, so I can't complain too much.

I would appreciate advice on how to continue with the PT/strength stuff, however. The PT lady and I agreed that I'm doing much  better, and we've dropped back to only 1 meeting per week. Went to the doctor this morning, he said everything looks good; stay with pt if I need it, but no need to keep coming back to him. I've been doing a ton of exercises at PT, and adding weight/resistance just like working out - in fact, PT has been my upper body workout for the past 6 weeks. The lady told me to do only a couple of them at home, at 3 sets of 15 (I do 3 sets of 10 at PT). 

I've been told the tear will probably always be there, so it's just a question of managing it, pretty much for the rest of my life. My concern is that if I stop going to PT, thereby dropping the other exercises I don't do at home, the shoulder will weaken again. On the other hand, 3 sets of 10 at PT takes about an hour, so if I try for 3 sets of 15 on all the exercises, it will be a very long workout, not to mention leg/core work. I intend to ask the pt lady what to do when I go in next week, but welcome other points of view as well, or suggestions of compound exercises that would address the same muscles. The full PT "workout" is below (how does one do the spoiler bar?). 

Internal/external rotation with arm by the side - black band

Internal/external rotation with arm at shoulder height - blue band

Scaption raises - 4lbs

Bicep curls - 7 lbs

Rows - 25 lbs

Lat pulldowns - 35 lbs

Straight-arm pulldowns - 10 lbs

Tricep extensions - blue band

Prone shoulder raises - 1 lb (full sets each of thumbs up, thumbs down, and arms at a Y)

Bent-over row - 5 lbs

Chest press - 5 lbs

• Like 1

Not sure I follow you exactly.  I'm assuming there aren't any exercises mentioned that you can't do at home??

How many days/wk are you wanting to work the shoulder?

If time is an issue and you want to keep the leg portion, can you do split routines like leg day and upper body day?

Current Challenge 

1 hour ago, peelout said:

Not sure I follow you exactly.  I'm assuming there aren't any exercises mentioned that you can't do at home??

How many days/wk are you wanting to work the shoulder?

If time is an issue and you want to keep the leg portion, can you do split routines like leg day and upper body day?

I can figure out ways to do all of those at home, the question is should I? Right now I'm only doing the 4 rotations and rows at home.

My typical week is 2 days cardio, 2 days strength (full body), 2 days stretching, and 1 day parkour, alternating days, of course.

I've never done split routines, hence my hesitation. Is that too much on the arms to do regularly? Would a corresponding leg workout be too much to also do cardio? If I do all that that, should I stick to the 10-rep range or push up to 15? 

Did that clear things up at all? I might just have too much information and am stuck being indecisive. 

Can't help w/ how much is OK w/ regards to the arms as i don't know your situation and not an expert on injuries anyway.  I do have a bit of the same problem w/ regards to wanting to do many things and only so much time/energy.  I don't have an injury, but being 56 does start to limit how much I can do.  I want strength training and flexibility and functionality and cardio workouts.  Never going to maximize anything doing all those.  My main goal though is to be able to move my body well enough to participate in sports like white water kayaking, climbing, and snow skiing.  So I focus on just exercising daily with some strenuous days and some light days.

So heres what I've come up with:

1)  I don't worry about what day of the week it is w/ regards to workouts.  Schedules change and we get busy on different days so I have no issue w/ switching routines.

2)  I plan on doing some form of exercise every day buy vary the intensity.

3)  I try to do strength training in the form of full body workouts (you can see these on my challenge thread) about 3 times/wk but always w/ a break in between.

4)  I've added 1-3 mile walks just recently and will add these in whenever I feel like it.

5)  Some days I just do stretching if I'm tired, especially if I have done something crazy like when I did 10 sets of 4 exercises in one workout on time this month.  Sometimes I just throw in my stretching routine on the same day but at a different time as something else since it is very low intensity.  One day I was visiting my mother in law and just decided to do my stretching while I visited her.  

6)  Some days I do primal movement (sometimes called natural movement).  It involves some crazy rolling on the floor and crawling around.  Looks pretty weird.

7)  If my schedule is just so tight that I can not fit in anything, I use something I call a placeholder.  Its just 1 set of freebody squats (sometimes I do it in the shower just to fit it in).  I only use this a couple times/month.  It does nothing for fitness, but keeps the mind programmed to understand that exercise is a daily event now.  Not exercising is not an option, even if means I use a placeholder.

Bare in mind that I am injury free and currently unemployed (due to a recent restructuring at my company) so I have a lot of free time.  But my main over-riding goal is just to exercise everyday.  I don't get hung up on scheduling certain things on certain days of the week or specific intensities.  I know I won't maximize strength or cardio or flexibility this way.  But if I do this for a year, I will have done more for my body than 99% of the public.

So you might want to consider just making a list of your workouts, prioritize them but don't get to hung up on the priority list, then each day use whatever routine strikes you as being the one you want or can do that day.  It makes things much more enjoyable and you don't get depressed because you did not get in a specific routine on a specific day.  Eventually, you start to fall into a groove that feels good and you start to develop a pattern, but some days you just don't feel like doing a specific w/o so you don't wind up skipping exercise altogether, you just grab whatever routine you do feel like doing, even if its just stretching or using a placeholder.

Don't know if that helps, maybe I'm babbling on.  It works for me, but is not necessarily right for your needs.  Just something to consider.  The absolute best workout plan is the one you keep doing.  Thats far better than coming up with the "perfect" plan that you wind up quitting.  Seems like about 50% of the people on any given challenge do that.

Current Challenge 

You might want to bring in the info on what you're currently doing to PT lady and ask her advice on what would be optimal to avoid over training and/or re-injury when trying to incorporate the new exercises on your own.  Part of her job is to make sure you don't need her services eventually, right? :)

Sounds like you've been keeping up with things nicely, though.  Yay you!

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

On 12/30/2016 at 1:39 AM, peelout said:

Bare in mind that I am injury free and currently unemployed (due to a recent restructuring at my company) so I have a lot of free time.  But my main over-riding goal is just to exercise everyday.  I don't get hung up on scheduling certain things on certain days of the week or specific intensities.  I know I won't maximize strength or cardio or flexibility this way.  But if I do this for a year, I will have done more for my body than 99% of the public.

I absolutely agree with this. Doing something is better than nothing. I have a pretty good schedule going on: 9-10pm is workout time, every night, no matter what. The habit of doing it isn't a problem, it's what I want to do that covers what I want to achieve in the time I have. Probably a bit convoluted, sorry for the confusion. :) 

On 12/30/2016 at 1:47 AM, Elennare said:

You might want to bring in the info on what you're currently doing to PT lady and ask her advice on what would be optimal to avoid over training and/or re-injury when trying to incorporate the new exercises on your own.  Part of her job is to make sure you don't need her services eventually, right? :)

This is probably what I'll do, I was just impatient to figure it out last week. Need to remember to take deep breaths and work with what I have, not what I'm hoping for. I hadn't considered the bit about making sure I won't need her services again, thank you for that eye-opener!

So, week 4:

• Flexibility: On day 23, so not quite finished yet, but it taught me good things. I'm nowhere near the splits, but I'm definitely better, and will incorporate some of these stretches into daily warm up/cool down stuff. 
  • Strength: Did PT once, home weights once, and started work on the straight-arm support on rings. Definitely made a difference in parkour, and I was able to do two hour-long classes without strain. More on this below.
  • Cardio: 2 days of walk/run. Outran a 13-year-old in parkour today (sprinting, not long-distance). Super proud of that.
  • Parkour: Two classes today, and realization it's my therapy/social time. I need to not skip this. 
  • Diet: One "cheat day," which was planned for. 
  • Thesis: 6 pages of analysis done, through 5 of my sources. 
  • Attitude: Took a downturn this week, I think due to lack of parkour and sunshine. Recovered today.

After two weeks of missing parkour, today was a revelation. What I do at home during the week is practice, to improve my abilities in parkour class. So the concerns about leg strength are somewhat moot - I don't need more leg strength. Core strength is needed only when legs and arms are involved, so no need to isolate core; just work in compound movements.

Overall, I think this challenge was a success, and a good way to keep track of things without adding more stress onto the thesis. I'll probably simplify it a bit for the next challenge, since PT will be lessened/going away, but a few tweaks and I'll be back for more! Thanks to everyone for the advice, insight, and cheers. 

• Like 2